Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Sturmfury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sturmfury polycounter lvl 8
    @ZacD No legs will be better in my opinion. Maybe have the fins arch in like a seahorse if you are going no legs?
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    @ZacD I agree that no legs is a much more interesting and more "whale-y" design. I really look forward to what you do with it.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi, i really like 6.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I'm liking 4 Audi, has potential. I really like the torso you've got there mifflefish as well.

rudebrazen.png

Changed his skull into a helmet and changed the horns a bit to give them better visual clarity. Moved around a few parts to make it less perfectly mirrored, spine as well which isn't shown here looks a lot better.

I've got a decent amount of spare tris I think I'll try and give his armor some interesting form, more skull like and less blob like.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Figured I'd drop by and post an update.. I know it's bad to not have chosen a class yet but whatever.. heres 2 wargenerals and 1 shadow...DomWarMiniConcepts.jpg
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Its been a long while since Ive posted anything (Stupid work). I love Dom War and you guys are all rocking these. Here are some silhouettes I created in Alchemy for either a Technomage or Shadow. Let me know what you guys think

DWV-Sils.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet artquest, digging the center guy for how crisp and clean he looks, def the most original compared to the other entries so far.

I finally found some shapes I like:
    DW5_concept_5.jpg
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @artquest - jaw dropping skills. Clean and easily readable shapes, yet with great space for detailed textures. But they're so ...you know - normal. We saw such before. Maybe try to think of something totally unsymmetrical and crazy? Maybe it's just me, but it would be great to see such with your skills. :D

And my wip-wip on textures:

wip4.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    @Azuryon: I really like C.
    @ZacD: Go without the legs. Otherwise it look too much like a bipedal buffalo.
    @Enderstaley: I like 3 and 6.
    @slukas: Damn, you work fast! Great looking textures. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Worked on what I think will be the final sketch. Any feedback would be awesome:

TM_Colour2as.jpg
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    @Artquest: Those are awesome. I saw the middle one a couple pages back and I think that one is the most . . . general like. He's regal and magical/techy at once, and it's looks like it'd be really fun to model to boot.

@Enderstaley: I'm in the same boat :p I haven't posted anything in forever! I think they all look kinda similar to one another, but number six is really cool. Kinda strikes me as being a headless ninja.

@shrew81: I like how the concept of smoke pouring from multiple orifices in his body. And the floating polycount head on his back :)

@slukas: That is some really sharp texturing. Very painterly :)

And my concept
    polycountHead.jpg

Not quite sure where I'm gonna take him; the head was the key idea I had behind him, so I'm just figuring out everything else about him. Lemme know what you guys think!
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't care much for where the head was going so I simplified it, and tried some massive overhaul into asymmetry.

asymetry.png

I don't know if I like him having a gun, maybe an Axe or a shield would be better.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Hey everyone, lots of cool work so far.

Here's some stuff ive done so far, just a quick sketch and a start on modeling with a paintover (messy stuff :P). Doing a shadow class.

wip_sketch.jpg
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    290zgpz.jpg

Here is my design for a techno Mage!

What do you guys think???
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Madmuffin,

Asymmetry is a good design plus, but just like with optimizing your mesh, you have to watch that the elements that create the asymmetry are not almost as big as your entire character. When you don't have much texture space to work with create large one off elements waste texture space fast. You have to find a good balance between a good design and a crapy texture low res texture map. When you don't have normal maps to help translate form your silhouette and texture have to take up the slack.

Onelung,
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got a point onelunglewis, as it was his shoulder was big and unique, and the one arm was also all by itself.

differentsyemtry.png

I rolled it back a little bit and made different matching shoulder piece that will be easy to use the same UVs on. It's getting closer to being ready for texturing.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    quick sketch, maybe i'll develope it more but.....I Neeeeed to draw more !

DominanceWarV_02c_mecha.png
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff guys! I'd say some of them are incredible hot!
    Here is my try!

From these thumbs:
    thumnailtechno.th.jpg

thumnailtechnomagewtf.th.jpg

thumnailwargeneraldogyd.th.jpg

thumnailwargeneralpirat.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I choused third one.
    I'ts war general..

Here is where I'm right now:
    wargeneralsculpt2.jpg

Still there is something I don't like about the armor..
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    @ premium: I don't know if you've posted it before but, have you drawn anatomy under the armor? I'd like to see how his arm is connected to his torso, right now it seems kind of too big or something. Keep it up dude!

Ahem....here's just something random lol (waiting for a happy mistake to happen so I can see something to draw)

lol.png
  • Mrandk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey All, I'm very exited to take a crack at this. I'm quite fond of the Corrupter so I dove into modeling after a few napkin sketches
    Here is what I have for the body so Far: (Its a bit too dense for what I'd be happy with atm, around 2500 tris. Will probably cut some from arms legs and fingers)
    Screen%2Bshot%2B2010-11-13%2Bat%2B3.38.18%2BPM.png

Will probably have some base textures and updated model by tomorrow.
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on my stuff, did not have much time to work on it today. But I redesigned it a lot. Made it more sinister and evil.

3mm: Thanks mon, I looked at nr 9 and decided that i liked it to so I did a new version of the little monster.

audi100: Thanks! my favorites were nr 8 and 15.

artquest: those look sweet.

Eoq: That thing made me laugh. Now thats a sneaky character. Think u should go for that design there :)

tempzor.jpg
  • 3mm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3mm
    slukas:great wipe texture
    i have a question regarding the rules:is that ok to take a part in other clans and submit works and post reply in other websites on other works?
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3mm wrote: »
    slukas:great wipe texture
    i have a question regarding the rules:is that ok to take a part in other clans and submit works and post reply in other websites on other works?

I think it is okay to to post in other forums as long as u don't post your WIP in a enemy forum.
  • 3mm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3mm
    Ziggy wrote: »
    Here is an update on my stuff, did not have much time to work on it today. But I redesigned it a lot. Made it more sinister and evil.

3mm: Thanks mon, I looked at nr 9 and decided that i liked it to so I did a new version of the little monster.

audi100: Thanks! my favorites were nr 8 and 15.

artquest: those look sweet.

Eoq: That thing made me laugh. Now thats a sneaky character. Think u should go for that design there :)

tempzor.jpg
    nice progress so far my favorite is no2
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what ziggy said, you can comment in other forums, but you can't post your own wip in them.
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eoq: actually I did fast anatomy sculpting (for retopology. It's easier to get the form) then overpainted it.
    Here is an image.. :)
    kaka.jpg
    By the way.. nice flower! ;)
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what ziggy said, you can comment in other forums, but you can't post your own wip in them.
    But if I'm posting my wips to those forums which aren't participating in DW?? :poly122: Sorry I'm new to this =]
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    @ premium: Ah! Then it must have been the shading that tricked me.

@ Ziggy: yeah the second design seems to have been put more work into, tho the first one has one badass arm which you can make even more awesome.

Here's a 'something' (early stage) of a technomage.

DominanceWarV_03b.png
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input guys!

@HntrLuc - I'm loving that little dude, tons of personality
    @ziggy - I like the one on the right
    @audi100 - 2, 7, 8 and 9 look nifty
    @Sturmfury - the middle one looks brutal, add more!
    @artquest - pro stuff man, lookin forward to it.
    @slukas - nice geometry and textures so far, cant wait to see more

here's an update on mine, probably going for a technomage...
    technomaeg2.png
  • ETA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ETA
    My concept (simple model so far, i am not good in concept art)
    Name: Aktor
    Class: Shadow

conceptp.th.jpg

ziggy - love your concept :D
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eoq: The flower concept is hilarious! The slug like guy is pretty cool too. Has a lot of potential for wires and supports leading from the mana tanks.

@Ziggy: Those are pretty neat. It'd split the count, but given how awesome both versions of that guy are, have you given thought to doing both?

@BlackulaDZ: Nice job! I love the floating arms. The face and body physique does remind me a lot of Mass Effect's Volus race though. I don't think it's overly similar, but it might be worth investigating different facial mask styles just in case. Or not, I've been replaying mass effect alot recently, so I might just be seeing things

Anywho's, updated my concept:
    CountHead.jpg
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone!
    I see here to much beautyfull works. I wish all the best for polycount team, I try do my best to glory our forum :)
    Here is my concept:
    I chose Shadow race human.

dw5_4.jpg
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    @ Slipstream: Hahaha glad u liked my flowerShadowGuy lol. Thanks for the idea, some gorey tubes coming right up!

@ Soda: Nice going on there with the details dude. Dont forget details below the waist aswell :) Oh and don't forget that asymmetry can make your character even more intresting!
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    dom_technomage.jpg
    So I thought "giant shoulders" and went from there. Jokes aside, this would be a technomage with some sort of power/mana/magic supply in his oversized shoulderpads. Upperbody is high tech fused with him, lower body is lose pants and medieval sword.

However! I'm not sure if that fusion is allowed by their guidelines? Does it have to be all cyborg or all human?
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got right with symetry, but 1024x1024 is small area, I whant put UVW to each other to make better look. Symetry help me a lot with that.

Noodle! - look cool but legs dosn`t fit with uper part.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    @ Noodle!: Hahahaha! : ) Like I wrote so Soda, asymmetry is win - some siluette changes would really make him more interesting. Perhaps an armorpiece that is really broken, maybe he has a shield on his left arm (defense) and something weapon:ish on his right (offensive) - just throwing random things in the air so you get my point :) Them shoulderpads are quite something, haven't seen something similar so good job! : )
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Noodle, i wouldnt worry there isnt any race rules in this mini. Only class rules it seems.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    @ Soda:http://slipgatecentral.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1r8pyc
    That character has a 512 diffuse and spec texture and is on 2k tris. I just simply wanted to prove that you probably can afford to make siluette changes and still make a high quality texture.
  • redwake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurker here.

ShadowShape.jpg

Here's a rough shadow concept showing shape and face. Inspired by Mary Had a Little Lamb.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    test-2.jpg

Just a quick test to see if i can do it in budget. Will be easy as this is at 1928 tris
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on some shapes, with basic weapons included it counts 2k tris.

shadowlowpoly03.jpg
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick paint over of my model. Currently not happy with the armor, needs more of a silhouette, have about 800 polys to play with.

paintove4r2.png
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz, looking good!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noodle: I love that concept. And I agree on the assymetry thing, though I think that would have more of an effect on the lower part of his body, as it is the least interesting area.
  • Cybrinsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybrinsanity polycounter lvl 9
    So heres my Ref../style I'm going for.. I'm going to do the Technomage, with a steampunk style and its going to be a hot chick in a kind of wheelchair and such... I think It'll be AWESOME!!! and somewhat different.
    Questions and Comments always welcome.

28m1qps.jpg
  • Mrandk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update here, had the whole day to myself so I barricaded the door up and worked on some textures, they aren't done but its a start. Lemme know if you have
    any critiques

Screen%2Bshot%2B2010-11-13%2Bat%2B10.10.49%2BPM.png
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    @ Mrandk, I love the coif on that guy, it looks amazing man, awesome texture work!

Time to start on my model, fo' sho!
  • AshandRuin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just need to make a staff for this Angel Technomage to hold and I'll be ready to start modelling.

femaleangelsketch3.jpg
  • Azimn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybrinsanity

Hey man I had a very similar idea with the steampunk inspired Techno Mage I decided to do a pipe organ, at least I think I will go with that. My plan is to cyber/steampunk out Col. Sanders!

Also Soda and Redwake, those designs are really cool!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys any help? I can't seem to eliminate this... this.. THING!

20fatsn.png
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios,

To be quite blunt, your edge flow is screwed. You don't have enough information below the armpit, and from what I can see here, the only thing that might not need to be re-addressed is the face, and even that I'm not too sure on. Take a step back and re-assess what you've done, and look at muscle charts and other models for reference on edge flow.
    This isn't the best example, but it might help you get started.
    edgeflow.png