Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I'm gonna do a female Technomage, kinda a mix of traditional mage with some sci-fi power type boots & glove.

Excuse my crappy drawing skills, using a mouse with hardly any drawing experience is difficult.

technomagesilo.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My wacom is dead :(
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Onelung : Really like your style man, diggin the sharp angle drawing.
    These mask looks definitely badass, I'm waiting to see more now.
    @ Swizzle : Fun concept, can't help you for the gun,I really suck in tech and weapon design too. Did you will make a back view of your character ?
    So far the backpack stuff seems a bit confused to me, and nail down the overall silhouette. Maybe just make a tiny/ridiculous backpack to contrast with this fattie character...
    @edoran89 : Dude I see you posting on two forum, GameArtisans and Polycount. Are you a Spy ? :D
    I think you should choose your side to avoid disqualification ;)
    @Azurion : 9 is my fav', great silhouette, attitude and proportions.

So this year I will give a try to this DomWar by running for Polycount and the green face :D
    It should be fun !
    My WIP for the Technomage so far :

TechnoMage_WIP_01.jpg
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arkhange, thanks dude, I thought i had to post their to enter, never did a contest before, anywho, I deleted the one over there because I for sure want to rep polycount.

dig your design to btw, good stuff
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    So far I had my fellow students at the Art Institute vote and other people as well. So far its:

1. 7 with 6 votes
    2. 12 with 5 votes
    3. 6, 8, 9, and 11, with 3 votes
    5. 2, 5, 10 with 1 vote. Knocking the others off the page right now. Might use them for something else in the future but so far 7 is looking to be rocking with people. I'll delve more into 12 and 7 unless anyone else feels like another is stronger.

DW5_vote1.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Arkhange:
    I'm going to be doing some more detailed concepts for the backpack, arm, gun and other little noodly bits soonish. I was focused more on the overall form of the thing in the previous images, so now I'm going to be focusing a bit more on details.

This is so not close to finished that I probably shouldn't even be posting it yet, but I only worked on it for about an hour and a half. I was getting a bit tired of screwing around with the 2D concept, so I decided to see if I could translate some of the forms faithfully into 3D. So far, so good.

There's a ton of work to be done, there are a ton of wasted tris and there are still details I haven't worked out in the backpack and such, but... eh. I'll work on 'em later.

44sB4.jpg
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,Here's my sketch,hope I can make in 3000 tris.:shifty:
    Good luck to all.:)

PDWV_sketch01.jpg
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    @Snizzle

Looks like the form is translating well enough so far though, That face might give you some troubles though. I'd say the tubes are what are eating up your count the most...I'm wondering if you darken it out to complete black, and make those tubes 4 sided if you can really tell a difference? If all else fails, even if it's cheating, "T-planes" Might help you out in that regard. :)

I know it's far from finished, just figured I'd stay active in the thread aside from posting my own stuff ^_^
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    @MADAMEC Thank you :)
    I'll try to finish it

@Azuryon I like 12 and 11

@Swizzle Great start! Really love your idea :)
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    @Illusion, glad to see you here :D
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    @Sauron Glad to see you too :) Good luck!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Dammit, Swizzle! Your game is hawwwt right now! Really digging your progress as well as the work you've been doing lately.

I love the signature too. Haha!
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went ahead and fleshed out the ones I favored.

155q4nq.jpg

I think I can really take #5 in a good direction, but I think it'll still need something that'll make it read more like a Corrupted.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    kohaku_001.jpg

ok, concept skeelz are not the best...but here goes... this is kohaku -- not the brightest of war generals, but a master of destruction nonetheless. he dresses in a distinct koi fish armor garb and wields a mallet of smashing. he doesn't know how to spell his own name...but point him in the right direction and he'll smash some faces.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff everyone! Gonna have to hit up the tablet tonight.

@BadGeo: #1. I like the fire concept in the third column, maybe put that into his lance/gun thing? I have a mental image of holes along the pole, like a flute; stick someone and hit the gas.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    @Azuryon: Another vote for 7 from me.
    @ZacD: Great white whale, batman! Go for it!
    @kengkard: Really sweet concept.
    @BadGeometry: 1 and 2 are my favorites.
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    Popular concepts revisited. I'm still favoring 8 >>

I can resize my images if I need to if they're too large as well. I don't know the restrictions/preferences for poly count yet...

7_revisted.jpg
    8_Revisted2.jpg
    12_revisted3.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    DANG! I came home to my computer with an awesome Idea for Techno mage and boom!
    the idea is already fleshed out by some other punks! :P

haha
    anyways, some dude with a pack that exponentially multiplies the magic of an ancient artifact and channels it into the forearms of this dude...
    DW5_concept_3.jpg

honestly though, really nice Vorge and arkhange
    I have never heard of a techno mage before, so I guess this concept is very standard.
    I was thinking of robot legs but vorge is straight up killing those. Maybe a jetpack? :D
  • chill-lair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azuryon: I'm really digging 8. I like the direction you are taking it
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    SWEEEET, loves me some dom war. well, here we go with my first sketch. meet...GENERAL MCKRAKKEN
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Here are some of the flushed out silhouettes.

ShardCharacter1.jpg
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one Gavin. I think General Mckrakken is awesome but he'll definitely be a challenge to work down to 3k tris. Good luck man!

Here's where I got with my concept. I'm not sure how I feel about it. He ended up being much more of a mercenary than a ghastly assassin. I think I'll take one more crack at a concept before hitting the modeling.

concept_03.jpg
  • vodkatonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joining the party. Corrupted character. Still looking for something but this will do for now. I need a drink!
    corrupted.jpg
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    oh man, very nice will. yeah, just add some war torn battle damage to your guy and you have a sick little assassin. yeah, mine is going to SUCK for keeping it under 3k...but we will see. i have been doing tons of lod stuff at work the last couple months so hopefully that was a good warm up.

have you tracked phil down at the office yet?
  • Sturmfury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sturmfury polycounter lvl 8
    Hi people. After much lurking decided to participate in my first DW and contribute to Polycount's war efforts. :)

Hope i'm not too late to the party!

Some thumbnails i did. Not sure what i'm going for yet. Probably a shadow or war general. Gonna nail down the final design before the week end.

thumbnails.jpg
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BadGeometry - for me 1 and 2
    @Azuryon - 2,5 and 12 - but not the polished one - silhouette is selling it better.
    @vodkatonic - Guy on left seems more interesting to me.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I hope I did this character right, A corrupted would be like a human mixed with machine, soo I think I did it right.

The character (nameless at the moment) is pretty much done.. it sucks I am trying to do this with a mouse and every freakin stroke makes me CTRL Z 80x times!!!! *sigh*

This is what I got, I like it, Models coming soooooooooooooooooooooon! I will also add more details about the character so she seems more "real", or at least it will help me make her real.

1qr3o3.png
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    refined both of them, but still can't decide which one is better

technomage_sketch03.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Illusion I like # 2 illusion, he just seems more cunning, like he's smart and he dont giv-a fluc.

@ Sturmfury I love these two characters (2nd row, 2nd; 3rd row 1st). Good luck sir.
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome Sturmfury. Bottom middle shape looks fresh.
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    @XenoKratios Thanks :) I'm also inclined to the second version
  • vodkatonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One for the road.
    corruptedV2.jpg

@onelung/ Artquest/Arkhange/Slukas..looking good!

@Slukas...thanks man.

@Handsandwich....one word...headphones!
  • Neelem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neelem polycounter lvl 7

1qr3o3.png

reminded me of this

danger.jpg

High voltage!
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 - great design!
    BadGeometry - I like no.3
    InProgress - Really thanks man appreciate a lot.
    vodkatonic - great design!
    Amazing work everyone!:poly121:
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ok i'll participate in this.

My dude will be "shadow" and the basic concept behind it is a solidsnake type character but in a napoleonic era context.

As well as the pistol and sabre(which i'm considering changing to a kind of short broadsword) he will have a long rifle with some sextant type old school naval telescope fixed to it, possibly with an adjustable stock or something whacky, as well as a carbine with an axehead bayonet which i suppose he'll be carrying.

Once the head is done he will have epic mutton chops, a lot of stubble, unkempt hair, and will be smoking a cigar. He'll probably wear a beret or a kepi.
    The uniform will be mostly black with green velvet for polycount and silver piping, austrian knots and embroidery, you name it.

snakeh.jpg

oh yeah, current tri count sits around 1800, i think i'm on target
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    @bad geometry:

I like number 1 a lot but he doesn't seem to fit the descriptions of the classes for this comp. Numbers 2 and 5 are my favorites! None of them feel like a corrupted. Maybe number 2 would if you made it a bit more evil looking with spikes and dark metals for colors.

@onelunglewis:
    Sweet concepts, I like the turn around. I have to ask though, have you abandoned the double head idea from your initial concept? I really liked the way that was looking. Maybe take another stab at it? :P

EDIT: Oh man, I just realized thats probably a side view of the head :P haha I must have mis interpreted it. it's in the perfect spot and matches the perspective pretty well so it looks like a second floating head!
    But, Id consider trying out a 2 headed approach because that was my favorite part when I saw your fist concept :P It made him really stand out as unique. :P
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    900 tris left for hat, hands, shoes, and 2 weapons. Should be ok. If not theres some bevels i could obliterate in the cuffs
    ffcb3ad5577f916e504d17e4ee2f8dbf.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    AYDdq.png

a different approach to the buff-a-whale
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright i'm jumping in.
    mahthermnz.png
    ended up with abstract creature type bipeds... I'm thinking of doing a shadow or corrupted
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    5 5 5 5 5 5 55 5
  • Formal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok hi everyone (i'm new, stalker for a while btw but well...) decided yesterday to participate in this, i did a load of silhouettes and that's what i came up with (I,ll probably work on it a bit more tho), crits are always welcome and any ideas are welcome too!

thanks !

p.s. I aimed for the war general category

pre_dominance_war_5mini_concept.jpg
  • vodkatonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kengkard - thanks man. Im leaning toward the 3rd design. Will explore more options with that look. I dig your concept. i like the idea of face in the design.Kinda like what insects have on their body's to appear more menacing.

@BlackulaDZ - Welcome! I'll like #3

@Vorge - cool design. Like to see more cables coming out of skin!
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    I feel like I went too robotic with my designs. I might redesign based on the main 3 i have so far. I'm not liking any of them for this project at the moment. I've veered astray I think! :P

@onelunglewis Man yours are looking great!

@HandSandwich I really like it so far, I would probably look into a few things that could help strengthen the silhouette beyond the basic human form.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Would an eyepatch be an homage or a ripoff?

shako.jpg

ps is there any word on whether i can have postrendered smoke from his cig or does that need to be budgeted? if it needs to be budgeted in i figure its dumb to do it cause assuming gameart thered be some other effect going on
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drawing looks like Solid Snake/Big Boss... MAKE EYEPATCH!!! 8D
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, throwing my hat in the race. JUst got a few silhouettes done. I'm thinking of combining 2 and 6 somehow. Going for a Technomage.
    predomwarconcepts.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neelem wrote: »
    reminded me of this

danger.jpg

High voltage!

ahahahaahahahaha, oh my, I never seen her before but there is a shocking resemblance.

She seems to be having the best time of her life, ahahaa thanks for that man
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BlackulaDZ - nr10 will rock.

My final mesh. Pedestal will come later.
    ooh ...long waited for this moment - I really want to paint some textures! :D

wip3.jpg

cheers :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Robobreasts (TM).

DWVMiniWIP2.jpg
  • Ziggy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there fellow allies, my first time competing in DW.

Nice to see things being made.
    I relay like the stuff some of u guys have made so far.

Zwebbie: Ah! where are the nipples D:

Slukas: Realy like the concept u have chosen to go with, And its cool to see that you chose to model the character in a pose rather than a T-pose. Or there was a t-pose at the beginning?

Swizzle: That character looks fun. :D Glad u chose that one from the thumbs, although i liked many of them. ps: u should make the number 9 as a minion for number 1 =)

onelunglewis: Really dig the clean and simple design of the character. Those are hard to make :)

Here is my little creature. Wasn't really sure what i was gonna do but after a bunch of doodling and scribbling I got the idea of a Gremlin/demon/goblin type of character that likes to mess around, throwing bombs and climbing trees. He is rather weak but annoying as hell, and he can breathe fire to ignite the bombs.

Feel free to give feedback

conceptwoot.jpg