A new modeling tool released

Replies

• IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-oct-10-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * One rendering bug is fixed. Previously, vertices and edges disapeared in high poly objects.
    * On pivot streamline tools acivated, pivot orienation will set to 'Object', pivot position will set to 'Selection'. Previously, they all set to 'manual'.
    * Modify > Subdivision > Increase/Decrease Subdivision. Edit > Preference > Subdivision Increament Cap Level.
    * One bug which accumulates computation errors in object transformation is fixed.
    * Rendering > Hard Edge Styles > Polygon/Triangle Base.
    * Some performance gain on mesh buiding. Not much though, about 20%.
    Thanks!

polyxo: Thanks for the late testing!
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    * Modify > Subdivision > Increase/Decrease Subdivision. Edit > Preference > Subdivision Increament Cap Level.

Thank you very much for that addition Istonia!

Apart from that the situation is weird. The Software seems to have no issues on my weak old Core2Duo Laptop but it still is completely useless on my Quadcore-Machine with Geforce 275 (still can not rotate a cube). Please tell if you need some Test values but I'm not sure whether FPS works properly. I see Framecounts above 600 but the Cube still rotates in a fashion as if it had 15 Mio Polygons...
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is you Number of Cores setting? you can try to set it to 1 or 2 and see what may happen.

Note: The mesh Shell tool does not work in the latest update.

---
    VoidWorld Forums: http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia wrote: »
    What is you Number of Cores setting? you can try to set it to 1 or 2 and see what may happen.

Note: The mesh Shell tool does not work in the latest update.

---

Oh, performance indeed rises quite a bit when lowering the Processors Count to 1 or 2 and definedly seems improved compared to older versions. If you at some point get this scaled to use all Processors I guess you wont ever hear any more of Performance-Problems :).
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-oct-11-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * Fixed a bug in mesh Shell tool. It doesn't work in previous update.
    * Fixed a glitch in polygon extrusion operation, which may slow down the operation's performance dramatically on high poly objects.
    Thanks!

polyxo: I have suspended the multi-thread coding attempt since I don't have a quad core pc. Can't afford to buy one at the moment.

---
  • storm3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia,

PERFECT!!! You have hit a homerun with this release! I love it, and I love how the sub-d hotkeys work for increment and decrement subdivision... The added side affect of being able to increment the subdivision and without collapsing it, you can still tweak and extrude etc.. while it is in subdivision mode, making it very easy to make humanoid rounded models very easy while tweaking etc.. in subdivided mode, and can either choose to keep it subdivided by collapsing it, or you can undo the subdivision and then admire your edited model in it's square formed original detail level, but with all the added features you added like for arms, neck head etc.. I love this, it is almost like working in a sculpting program with alot more features and you can keep the poly level lower as well..

I'm very happy with this version, I have yet to find anything wrong with it, and it is storing the options on exit and reloading them like snapping etc.. perfectly now.. I'm loving the direction your taking this VW, imho is probably the best modeling app I have used thus far.. I definitely no longer touch silo, or softimage either.. Good Job!!!

Thanks for everything, vacation tomorrow, then I will finish all of the tutorials, I would have done them last night, but I was too busy playing with the new features and subdivision clay like modeling.. I love it.. I will definitely be able to finish the tutorials now, it should be a snap now, and make some more ones showing how to do other things like vehicles, etc.. also.. I'm serious Kun, very very good job!!

Thanks,

StOrM3
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I have to say, this is pretty badass :)

The way the connect/cut tool works is great. Alot of your tools are quite cool. It takes a little bit of getting used to compared to Max or Maya, but it seems worth it.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-oct-13-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * A vertex display bug is fixed.
    Thanks!

mLichy: Thanks for trying out!

---
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey! Really great job! I just downloaded it... Wow took me 2 minutes to get into things and start modeling... and that is just wow. I really like the interactive modeling tools, the way you make changes on geometry, fast and easy. I have to say that it is actually fun to model with it. The only thing I have not been able to figure out(5 min in) but I'm sure it is there is a way, is how to input my own numbers when extruding and insetting and all. Anyway going to add a link to my signature to this thread so other people can see and give it a try. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Keep up the good work. I'll have my eye on further builds. :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @ SsSandu_C, if you use the tool from a menu, or from the pie menu it will bring up a dialog with it to input numbers to use.

also most tools have a redirect, with the default key-set if you hold capslock and hit key for a tool it will do the same.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby - I see now..just beautiful :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, feels like a maya/3ds max hybrid. Nice work. Might add F as a hotkey for framing under the maya control scheme, if framing is in the program....
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, feels like a maya/3ds max hybrid. Nice work. Might add F as a hotkey for framing under the maya control scheme, if framing is in the program....

achillesian - VW is more of a max/maya/si/silo mashup. We've all be offering IStonia the best bits from all apps.

To Frame selected objects the default key is F6. You can change it quickly by holding 'END' then navigate to the menu 'View > Best Fit' The Customize Tools should popup.
    Keyboard shortcut F is already taken up by several Streamline tools so you might want to watch for conflicts.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Simple question regarding streamline tools.

I wanna assign soft selection to b (which is background control by default).

b is toggling soft selection
    hold b drag set the falloff radius (but where can I find the falloff to set?)

Also, when I change the background image control, the definition (tips) can't be edited.

eikdc.jpg

*Im not 3dcoat user, and everytime I fireup VW it always create 3dCoat folder, any option to disable that?

I have some ideas on the outliner/scene explorer and few UI modification. Will get it posted on monday. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Bug? The icon is not showing.

5i8UW.jpg
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte: I am currently focusing on performance optimzing. Can you post new suggestions and feature requests in the forum here
    http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/index.php/board,4.0.html

To make the tool tip editable is not an easy task. Anyway, if you add a new command into a tool like the one you show, you can expand the tool tip panel down wards in the scene and should be able to find the added command there, under "--Defined Events--";

The snapping bar works in that way. Is not a bug.

I don't feel there is a need to create a special tool to adjust soft selection fallout since you may want to change that value from time to time. You can do that by scrolling WMB through Tweak/NormalMove/PolygonLocalMove strealine tools. Once those tools are activated, move the cursor over a mesh to bring up the soft selection cage, make sure softselection is enabled first. That means you don't have to exit the current tool for just to adjust the softselection fallout.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Kun, You're right, the hold w and scroll is exactly what I want :D

Anyway, I'll appear more in the forum you mention, guess its more organized that way.
    Thanks!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya the separate fourm sites makes it way easier to organize things since we have bug and feature sections and can move things as there are completed.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Can we announce the new forum and close this thread?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte wrote: »
    Can we announce the new forum and close this thread?

probably should at some-point, but there is a good chance that the VW forums will not stay on the same domain forever, since currently it is just a subdomain of my personal domain.

i looked into the domain, and it seems "voidworld.com" is taken, but "voidworld.net" and "voidworld.co.uk" are still available.

and istonia currently owns, "digitalfossils.com"

so if istonia wanted to pick up one of those domains i could tie it to my server and host the forums under it, or if his server can support the forums i could move the forums to his server, so they can be hosted under digitlfossils.com

i really don't mind either way, and just want to make sure there is a good place for the community for VW to use, so im fine having it on my server, just thinking at somepoint the forums should have a proper domain name, and maybe a full site for VoidWorld to advertise it, to go along with the forums.

if there is a full site in the future, i can design and deploy that too, and re-do the forums styles to make them match, to try and make everything nice and consistent.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    yes i remember he gave me the host login and details but i have difficulty setting up a forum at his domain although I never had issues like this before, It's just different enviroment I'm not familiar with.

If you think you want to give it a try, pm me your email.

ps. r u still goin with simple machine? I usually go with fluxbb or mybb. Unless someone's willing to donor to get vb
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte wrote: »
    yes i remember he gave me the host login and details but i have difficulty setting up a forum at his domain although I never had issues like this before, It's just different enviroment I'm not familiar with.

If you think you want to give it a try, pm me your email.

ps. r u still goin with simple machine? I usually go with fluxbb or mybb. Unless someone's willing to donor to get vb

im thinking of just sticking with SMF, since it easy to modify, and runs pretty slim and efficient.
    obliviously i would take vb over pretty much anything but we don't got a budget for that.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I've been using the program since i downloaded it. :) I have a problem. I don't know if there is an option to change it but here is my problem. I have lots and lots of objects that are overlapping, one in front of the other and such. When i try to select an object that sits in front of the other with LMB, even though I have the cursor on the object I want, the program selects the object behind it. Is this normal?
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    SsSandu_C wrote: »
    Hey! I've been using the program since i downloaded it. :) I have a problem. I don't know if there is an option to change it but here is my problem. I have lots and lots of objects that are overlapping, one in front of the other and such. When i try to select an object that sits in front of the other with LMB, even though I have the cursor on the object I want, the program selects the object behind it. Is this normal?

Yes I sometimes had this problem too with overlapping object, especially when they're small and pretty far from camera
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C, elte: When there are objects overlapping under cursor, just keep clicking. The programe will loop select through them one by one.

passerby: You can move the forum to my server under my current domain if you like. You can contact me at info@digitalfossils.com. elte can also help you out as he somehow is familiar with my server. It seems my server is down at the moment.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    passerby, you can give me your email address so I can forward you the information Istonia sent to me.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia - I see... but doesn't that make it hard to select multiple objects while holding shift? I mean if I have 2 object already selected and then I want to select the 3rd one, but instead it selects the one from behind it and when i keep clicking it selects other objects until finally it selects the one I want. But now I have more objects selected than I want. I think it should select the one in front... the one that gets clicked on its geometry, like every 3d package does... no? Anyway thanks for the response. Looking forward to see what the next build brings. :)
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C: I see what you mean. But what if you hold shift and want to select the object behind?
    As in the current solution, you can undo the selection if it selects the wrong object, then click to select again, eventually you will get what you want.

Edit: Maybe I should add an option for this.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SsSandu_C try a box select, and make sure only the 1 you want is in the box.

and to allow me to add or remove instead of haveing shift as toggle selection, i put add selection on shift, and remove from selection on control, which gives a lot more control when you have to do box selections.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia - Yeah it should be just an option. The best thing is to be able to select with point, click geomtry and select object on which geometry i clicked on. If I want to select the object behind it i can orbit around and find a piece of that object's geometry that is visible and click that, or hide some objects temporarily just to select that one. I have like over 20 objects in the scene each in front of the other, intersecting and I have to say it has started to become a hassle to just select multiple or even a single object. It takes me way too much time for such a simple action. I don't know if its just me that has this problem but I saw elte has it too so its not just me. Anyway I'm off to my modeling with voidworld :) Cya!

passerby - Yeah it works even with a the simple LMB click, but only when there is no object behind it. For this I navigate around so a part of the object to be "free". What im trying to say is when the object's geometry is visible with the view-port in the back. Only then I can just select the object I just clicked with no problems. But even so it takes to much time and in a way is hurting my workflow. The action of selecting object should be quick and easy and hassle free. Even with this drawback i still enjoy the modeling workflow that the program offers. :)
  • storm3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C:

Welcome to the Forums / VW Crew...

IStonia: Sorry I've been away for a while, Dang Dr. Probs again, I'm fed up, but it appears as if in the next two weeks, I will finally be at the Dr.'s I need to be with, and will no longer have to deal with Simple Minded Quacks, who know nothing about Crohns Disease..

But I am here, and hopefully after my appointment tomorrow, not have to worry about anything anymore!! YEAH! This means, more time to finish all the tutorials, I have the next couple parts done, I just haven't had time to put them all together and edit etc.. and upload them... Lots of people joining in, is a good thing!!!! This means more ideas, help finding bugs, and testing for speed / optimizations.. I'm thinking when all the tutorials are done, patching them all together into a DVD / DivX Start to finish Tutorial.

Ciao' 4 Now,

Talk 2 Ya Tomorrow Night, about the tuts..

StOrM3
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-oct-26-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * Some performance gain in subdivision speed. about 30%.
    * Menu items are reorganized.
    * If there are multiple objects/meshes under cursor when doing object/mesh selection at point, LMB will select the most front object while MMB will cycle through all the objects behind the cursor. Edit > Preference > Switch object/mesh cycle select from MMB to LMB.
    * View > Display > Show Heads Up Display. Color cab be customized in Preference form.
    * A new option is added into spline Slide tool, "Scale at linelist path corners".
    * Subdivision is supported in edge LooP_Relax and Loop_Tidy tools.
    Thanks!

storm3: Just take your time!

---
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-oct-27-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * A preview display bug in mesh Shell tool is fixed. The tool also works on subdivided meshes now.
    Thanks!

---
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Istonia,
    many thanks for the recent changes. Putting all Tools on Top Level in the Geometry-Menu-Item make sense to me (check the spelling on Geometry!).
    Also having Shell accept subdivided Geometry is very welcome. It seems thought that you introduced a crash-bug with Crease Subd - I now get instant crashes as soon as I try to apply it to subdivided Geometry.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyxo: Thanks for spelling correction!
    I couldn't find any thing wrong with the Crease Subd tool. Can you tell me the steps to recreate it?
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyxo: Thanks for spelling correction!
    I couldn't find any thing wrong with the Crease Subd tool. Can you tell me the steps to recreate it?

I wish I could! After posting I tried to find a setup where it crashes reliably but thus far couldn't nail it.
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try the attached file. When I try adding the second closed loop of creased edges on one side of that object (see screenshot) I get a crash.
    Hmm - for strange reasons I can't upload stuff here - please download from here
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried the test file but it works fine from subd level 1 to 5.
    What does the error message say? What is the subd level you tried? It could be a memory issue.
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried the test file but it works fine from subd level 1 to 5.
    What does the error message say? What is the subd level you tried? It could be a memory issue.

Hmmm,
    I attached a screenshot of the Crash in that zip-file. That'all I got.
    My subdivision was much less Level 2 or 3. I have 12 Gigs of Memory installed...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a little notice, had quite a few spambots, hit the fourm last night, so i added some pretty aggressive anti-spam protection to the server, so if anyone is having issues please let me know.
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyxo: I can't read German. I guess it says the program has encountered a problem and must be shut down. Right?
    Does it happen 100% all the time? At what action you did when it occured? I just try to create a debug version for you to track it down.

passerby: ya, I saw that too.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyxo: I can't read German. I guess it says the program has encountered a problem and must be shut down. Right?
    Does it happen 100% all the time? At what action you did when it occured? I just try to create a debug version for you to track it down.

passerby: ya, I saw that too.

ya think i might have found a way to stop the bots from even viewing the page, problem is there are some false positives if users are using proxies or are masking there browsers user-agent.

still researching it, since i dont know how it effects SEO yet, and dont really want to make it hard for search engines to index.

problem is, that it is easy to block all bots but not all bots are bad, like search engine crawlers, and external services like paypal openid etc.

when i move the forums to a proper domain, and make a front page for the site, i will focus on search engine optimization so we can get it at the top of google search and what not.

ATM digitalfossils is the first Google result, and the forum is at page 3 and this PC topic is back several pages.

and scattered on the first few pages, there is mention of VW in Silo, 3dcoat, and blender forums.

im thinking of buying voidworld3d.com for the site, or trying to contact the owner of voidworld.com since it is registered some someone but not in-use ATM.
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strange. I hasd already answered this but my posting does not appear...
    Yes. It is just the ordinary shutdown message. I did not see anything else.
    And no - it does not seem to happen all of the time. Now it worked fine.
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im thinking of buying voidworld3d.com for the site, or trying to contact the owner of voidworld.com since it is registered some someone but not in-use ATM

cough, cough...
    Frankly before doing so one might reconsider something entirely else.
    Is Voidworld really such a good name for a SubD Modelling Application?
    I am frankly not convinced. The current name is damn long, one can not abbreviate it without looking like a Car Brand. Also it has some kind of adolescent Nihilism flavour to it.

Without having thought about this for long I would suggest a shorter name with
    some relation to what the program does. A re-branding wouldn't hurt anyway for those who still have the app (and its website) in memory as it was two years ago.

My first name proposal is indeed very short: <d spoken: SubD
  • polyxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyxo wrote: »
    cough, cough...
    Frankly before doing so one might reconsider something entirely else.
    Is Voidworld really such a good name for a SubD Modelling Application?
    I am frankly not convinced. The current name is damn long, one can not abbreviate it without looking like a Car Brand. Also it has some kind of adolescent Nihilism flavour to it.

Without having thought about this for long I would suggest a shorter name with
    some relation to what the program does. A re-branding wouldn't hurt anyway for those who still have the app (and its website) in memory as it was two years ago.

My first name proposal is indeed very short: <d spoken: SubD

That's what an Image Search for Voidworld yields. Remarkable many naked women...
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi All,
    I am not sure what to do with the domain name and the app name yet.

I want to say I am running out of my last dollar and have started looking for a job. Yeah, this is not a good news.

There are still lots of work need to do. Just the optimization alone may take one or two months time. I wonder if it is a good time to put on a price so the project may keep going at a good pace. Here is my proposal

1. 79$us. 10 registration credits for every purchase. A couple per day would be good enough. I don't expect a lot according to VoidWorld's current state.
    2. The licence file will be placed under user's Document folder. This way, the current update style can remain unchanged, you don't have to register for every new update. That also means there are no alpha, beta or released versions, just updates.

Please let me know what you guys think of this so I can make a dicision. Anyway, I am glad I've been able to keep this project going this far since the first post. It is more than twice longer than I thought that I could hang on to.
  • 3dnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dnut polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not all that in favour of the registration credit idea ,I would prefer a serial number that does not expire to be issued to each customer like Silo.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya IStonia, once you get the name figured out id be happy try spend some of my time on the site and branding for you.

i was actually going to work on writing a new style for the forums and making a site to go with it next week but i will hold off till the name is finalized for app glade that i saw this before i moved the site to voidworld3d.com.

as far as branding im with polyxo in think that voidworld isn't the best name for a polygon/subd modeler, but i do like the company name DigitalFossils, since it is easy to remember and leaves quite a few opportunity's for good ideas for branding.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

1. 79$us. 10 registration credits for every purchase. A couple per day would be good enough. I don't expect a lot according to VoidWorld's current state..

sounds good with the exception of activation limits. If folks want to abuse your product they will just crack it(its inevitable). The only thing registration limits do is piss off your honest buyers.

ill be happy to buy providing I know my license isnt going to stop working if i install too many times or (god forbid) your company goes bust.
  • storm3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IStonia: I think either do $49.99 for initial version and $19.99 for major updates after the first purchase, or maybe just do a flat rate of $29.99 for each major update including the initial version... These two schemes would ensure you have a constant rate of cashflow for updates down the road, to ensure you can continue to work on it in the future, and will not lose interest in it, because of lack of cash coming in because of a large initial price and no charge for updates, a mistake many other modeling apps have fallen prey to, hence the lack of updates for silo and ms3d etc... I for one would pay whatever you charged without thinking about it, if I wasn't disabled and on a fixed limited income. The wife is off work as her work is seasonal, and we are living pretty much on my disability checks only... but since I am I have to be careful how much I spend and when, especially with xmas coming up pretty soon...

Maybe there are ways for others to also make some money from VW, like with themes or tutorials, or model packs, stuff like this might be a good idea as well, maybe take a page from The Game Creators playbook and setup a store like they use for model packs and other user submitted content they have for FPS Creator etc.. This will serve to help your users / supporting beta team to help them make some money and also help to generate more buzz and interest in VW, as this will lead to team members like Me and others, helping with advertising, and bring other potential customers over to purchase VW as well, by having additional themes, tutorials on how to do different things in VW, and also by selling models / primitive packs, this will also help to extend VW, making it easier for New people to get into VW and give them a starting place or some models they can use in their games etc... As there are people who are new to modeling but make games as a hobby or an indie developer that needs help with content for their games etc..

I hope some of this makes sense, I will email you with other ideas / suggestions... I hope this works out IStonia, as you definitely deserve money to live on, because you have more than put in the work and time on this app, and have turned it into a great program... As time goes on if you need help with development, or other things, just let me know, I'm a C# coder, and more than willing to help out, if it turns out you do have to get a job, and can't spend as much time on development, it's something to think about anyway..

Ciao' 4 now,

StOrM3
  • IStonia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update.
    http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/VoidWorld-oct-30-11.rar

Summary of changes:
    * Some memory consumption improvement.
    * A bug in geometry spliting and duplicating process is fixed.
    Thanks!

polyxo, passerby: I feel SubD is more of a technical term. What do you think of this, Trilobite?

3dnut, r_fletch_r: I will remove the registration limit.

storm3: You are spared! hehe.

---