Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Norron

Replies

• Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Fuck yeah I'm finally finished! Looks like that 30 hours without sleep paid off. All that's left for me to do is make some spec maps and combine everything to submit it. No jiggle bones or animation though, Just not enough time. I'm going to try to make some jigglebones for the hat and accessory and submit them as an updated version later.

First up, the Axplosion.

Man that name sounds awesome. Thanks again Khthon.

axe_quarter.jpg

axe_profile.jpg

axe_detail.jpg

Next is the flaregun, which is now to be known as the Heartburner.

flaregun_profile.jpg

flaregun_quarter.jpg

Next is the Burgled Balaclava. Basically ithe pyro decided he liked the spy's mask. And his smokes.

Hat_quarter.jpg

EDIT: Here's a better angle of the mask. Seems the pyro's got a bit of a big head.

hat_quarter_2.jpg

And lastly I made an accessory to go with the hat. Looks like the pyro's a fan of silk ties. :D For a name how about the Crook's Cravat? (courtesy of Swizzle) If someone can come up with anything better I'm open to suggestions.

tie_quarter.jpg
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The textures on both the axe and the flare gun came out great.

As far as the tie's name goes, how bout the nicked necktie?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Coveted Kercheif?

oh and, it's about damned time!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Coveted Kercheif?

oh and, it's about damned time!

I know! Good names guys, keep 'em coming.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the Burgled Balaclava quite strongly, actually- and it's funny, I was just listening to Vampire Weekend and they sang the word balaclava as I was looking at this thread, haha.

For the tie-

Kleptomaniac's Kerchief
    ?

Seared Silk Tie

Smoking Silk Tie

The Burning Businessman

Toasted Tie
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking Nicked Necktie. I think I'll roll with that one then. Submitting now, thanks for all the help everyone!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I'm all submitted. Awesome.

I plan to make some jigglebones and see if I can get them working for the hat and tie. Also I need a cool looking official banner now. :D
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope your entry makes it to the finals!

After you finish jiggle boneing the items, are you going to release them as model replacents?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dire_luck wrote: »
    Hope your entry makes it to the finals!

After you finish jiggle boneing the items, are you going to release them as model replacents?

Thanks!

I was going to submit the jiggleboned versions again as updates. I guess if I don't win anything there wouldn't be any issue in me releasing it though.
  • 4_Thirty_5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spent a solid minute laughing after seeing the Burgled Balacalva.

I want one so bad.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how would the hat work with the whiskered gentleman?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    how would the hat work with the whiskered gentleman?

It probably wouldn't. Not much of a way to avoid that though.
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your flaregun's texture looks really rushed compared to your axe, are you planning on submitting an updated version when you have a bit more time to work on it? I'm really pulling for that thing to make it in game but I'm a bit disappointed with the texture in it's current state. Especially since your axe shows that you can make a good TF2 texture. No scorch marks? No grunge? ...what's the deal? (hope none of this sounds mean, I'm just a huge fan of your flare gun and don't wanna see it not make it in the game)

The Burgled Balaclava is hilarious by the way. ...so if the Pyro is indeed a chick, then is the Red Spy cheating on Blu Scout's mom with ...the Blu Pyro!? This new evidence of swapped clothing definitely implies that something went down.

• Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm worried about Pyro wearing the enemy teams colors though.
    Although it's funny, and probably makes more sense that he stole it from the enemy team...
    I feel that blue color on red team and vice versa is somewhat unfitting and possibly distracting.

The Pyro could still have it be from his own team, with the excuse being that he made the same thing as with the Engineer glove, "borrowed" some extra gear from his teammates.
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    The Burgled Balaclava is hilarious I absolutely love it.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    REKLAS wrote: »
    Your flaregun's texture looks really rushed compared to your axe, are you planning on submitting an updated version when you have a bit more time to work on it? I'm really pulling for that thing to make it in game but I'm a bit disappointed with the texture in it's current state. Especially since your axe shows that you can make a good TF2 texture. No scorch marks? No grunge? ...what's the deal? (hope none of this sounds mean, I'm just a huge fan of your flare gun and don't wanna see it not make it in the game)

The Burgled Balaclava is hilarious by the way. ...so if the Pyro is indeed a chick, then is the Red Spy cheating on Blu Scout's mom with ...the Blu Pyro!? This new evidence of swapped clothing definitely implies that something went down.

I absolutely agree with you. I rushed the texture in the last few hours of the competition trying to get it in on time. I was just thinking that I should redo parts of it, add more color and get it up a few notches before I make my final presentation sheet. Thanks for the support.
    ianucci wrote: »
    The Burgled Balaclava is hilarious I absolutely love it.

As horribly made as it is I'm glad you guys like it! Fun fact, from the back it makes the pyro look like a smurf.
    Simski wrote: »
    I'm worried about Pyro wearing the enemy teams colors though.
    Although it's funny, and probably makes more sense that he stole it from the enemy team...
    I feel that blue color on red team and vice versa is somewhat unfitting and possibly distracting.

The Pyro could still have it be from his own team, with the excuse being that he made the same thing as with the Engineer glove, "borrowed" some extra gear from his teammates.

Good point. I completely forgot to mention that I'd prefer that the hat use the opposite team colors when I submitted it. I guess it's up to Valve now. :poly128:
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally hope that if Valve accept this pack, that they switch around Balaclavas >.>
    No offense, but I just think that BLU should wear Blue and RED should wear red.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with you. I rushed the texture in the last few hours of the competition trying to get it in on time. I was just thinking that I should redo parts of it, add more color and get it up a few notches before I make my final presentation sheet.

I think the texture looks pretty good as it is. The only things i see that could be fixed are the scratches and the barrel. If the barrel is changed to a darker metal and the scratches are retextured to look better, the flare gun would be perfect.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dire_luck wrote: »
    I think the texture looks pretty good as it is. The only things i see that could be fixed are the scratches and the barrel. If the barrel is changed to a darker metal and the scratches are retextured to look better, the flare gun would be perfect.

I was planning on darkening the outer barrel a bit, adding a bit more color variety, and some worn team colored paint. I'll try some more scratches and carbon scoring but we'll see how it looks.

How do you think the scratches could be improved? They're basically just solid color marks just like they are on the Axplosion. When I tried detailing them any more then that they didn't look like TF2 style textures anymore.

Plus, I completely forgot to mention on the Axplosion submission that the rocket should activate on crits. I've been debating if there's anything I can fix or change on that so I can submit an update with the note. :)
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the burglar hat a LOT! lol. I love silly pyro.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was planning on darkening the outer barrel a bit, adding a bit more color variety, and some worn team colored paint. I'll try some more scratches and carbon scoring but we'll see how it looks.

How do you think the scratches could be improved? They're basically just solid color marks just like they are on the Axplosion. When I tried detailing them any more then that they didn't look like TF2 style textures anymore.

I think the way the scratches are made is fine; they don't need anymore detail. I just thought that the scratches seem kinda bright as they are. Looking at them now, I can see that they're colored to match the metal of the barrel. If the barrel color end up being changed, you should just update the scratches to match.
    Oh, and when you update the barrel, are you going to leave scorch marks at the end? Just a thought.

By the way, I love the idea of the rocket igniting for crits. Keep up the good work!
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That flaregun texture really really needs some work. As of right now thats the only part of your pack that stands out as a sore thumb (at least to me)
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikimono wrote: »
    That flaregun texture really really needs some work. As of right now thats the only part of your pack that stands out as a sore thumb (at least to me)

Agreed, working on it right now.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d7bP2.jpg
    As soon as I have the new textures done I'll replace the images on this as well.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out. You guys all rock!
  • Khthon
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooray for promos! :D
    I love the descriptions you came up with. Makes all of the items sound like "square unsafe products for men"
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, I like the balaclava better team-colored xP
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont like the way red pyro has red spys stuff, should be the opposite colors suggesting he stole from opposing teams spy, preferably dead one.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of prefer the opposite team's mask but some people like it one way and some like it the other way. The way I submitted it its unclear which I preferred so if mine gets chosen its up to valve.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work man, although I would've liked to see a new flamethrower :P

Also I'm not sure what it is but there's just something bugging me about the flare gun's color scheme, the white kind of looks a bit plain, anyway, as I said before, great work :)
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed on the flaregun. I've been working on a new texture for it, just haven;t had mucht ime as of late.

And dangit, I'm out of bandwidth on photobucket. It's going to be great fun relinking all these pictures. :(
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buck wrote: »
    I dont like the way red pyro has red spys stuff, should be the opposite colors suggesting he stole from opposing teams spy, preferably dead one.
    Although that would probably make more sense, I feel that using enemy colors clashes too much with the art style.

I also don't find it entirely unplausible that Pyro "borrowed" it from the Spy on his own team, considering that he "borrowed" the left glove from the Engineer on his own team.

Ps. Norron, the cigarette on the promo picture is just a shoop right?
    I didn't see it earlier, and I personally don't like it. If it's just a photo shop though, it's not a real issue.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, it's actually there. Do you think it detracts that much from the rest of the hat? Considering it's basically just a blobby shape with a simgle color texture and some light AO.

Anyone else feel the same about the cigarette? I still have time to fix it if need be.

Also, what's a good host that I can use for lots of fairly large pictures? Does flickr have a decent amount of bandwidth for free users?
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed on the flaregun. I've been working on a new texture for it, just haven;t had mucht ime as of late.

I was thinking something along the lines of a brown grip where the white on the handle is and a red-metalish texture with scorch marks at the end for the barrel
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Really great idea, the mask cracks me the frig up. Everything really captures and supports the Pyro's personality. I don't mind the red objects at all, and though it could probably work fine either way, this color scheme seems better to go with. Seeing small flashes of the opposite team color might distract some players and affect gameplay.

Actually, thinking about it some more, I get a totally different impression when the stolen stuff is red vs. blue. With red, he seems like a mischievous little duder, but with blue stuff he's a twisted Buffalo Bill-ish psychopath who pries the belongings off his unfortunate victims and wears them.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Actually, thinking about it some more, I get a totally different impression when the stolen stuff is red vs. blue. With red, he seems like a mischievous little duder, but with blue stuff he's a twisted Buffalo Bill-ish psychopath who pries the belongings off his unfortunate victims and wears them.

I know right! The cool thing is that both of those completely support the Pyro's personality. :D
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    I know right! The cool thing is that both of those completely support the Pyro's personality. :D

Haha, yeah. The pyro is just amazing like that.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, it's actually there. Do you think it detracts that much from the rest of the hat? Considering it's basically just a blobby shape with a simgle color texture and some light AO.
    Is it part of the balaclava?
    I thought it was a misc item considering that it was on the face.

My opinion of it is unchanged though, perhaps worsened because I would prefer not to use the cigarette at all which would not be possible if it's included with the hat... oh well.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any progress on the flaregun?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not nearly as much as I've wanted. Haven't had as much time as I intended lately.
  • Poisony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you do not win, not only I'll be a bit mad, but I'll hunt you down and MAKE YOU SEND THIS TO CONTRIBUTE PAGE.

I NEED THE SPYRO MASK TO LIVE.

Thanks.

(Also, great theme! Very original.)
  • Christmas Pie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been lurking for a while and registered just to say this:

the pyro balaclava is hands-down my favourite out of everything I've seen. It fits the pyro's "personality" perfectly haha great work!
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems as though Valve has delayed the release, so it looks like you've got some more time to finish that flaregun skin.
    I really hope you're one of the winners!
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too bad you didn't win. Progg's pack was some tough competition....
    Even if valve didn't want your items in-game, I still do; so please release the pack when you get a chance.
  • Endriod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's an outrage you didn't win, this was the only pack I cared about. Not only were your ideas genius, but it really captures the Pyro's personality, I would totally imagine him stealing weapons from his teammates and playing dress-up as the spy! Not so much with Progg's "Gasman" pack. It just doesn't capture the "Pyro feel" like yours does. Please still release this pack to the public, a lot of us out there would love to have it.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guys. I'm a tad disappointed that I didn't win but honestly I expected it with competition like progg's stuff. :D Once again, thanks for all the great help you guys gave me., it was fun while it lasted.

I'll also throw my stuff up for download soon as well as making sure it's in the system as a game contribution.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember, there's always the chance that Valve will release part of it as a future update!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm good point. That makes me a bit hesitant to release them publically. I think I'll send an email off to Robin or somebody and see what they say about that.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whaaaaaa? Oh come on!
    Valve releasing your pack is no reason for it not being released publicly beforehand. I have no doubt that Valve likes your pack and that you have a chance of being accepted in the second round of polycount updates, but i don't really want to wait several months for it to be released (remember, the updates are gonna happen in "valve time").

...On second thought, it might be good to hear from Robin first. Do what you were going to do and see what he says.
  • Endriod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should also add more to this pack, maybe a new flamethrower!