Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Team Fortress 2: Polycount Pack - Questions and Answers

Replies

• AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who is judging this contest valve or polycount?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Joe Inky wrote: »
    Could someone answer this question? It's kinda important and is what is restraining me from making a topic atm, I don't know if texturing the model counts as a small thing like it says on the rules:

The Polycount Pack is a singles competition, but you're welcome to submit it to the Contribute page outside of the contest.
  • Joe Inky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    The Polycount Pack is a singles competition, but you're welcome to submit it to the Contribute page outside of the contest.

Ok, thankyou.
  • devioussam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many triangles are allowed to misc items? also what size texture map? unless im blind i didnt see the limits for these on neither the guidelines page nor the valve tips and tricks page.
  • Mico27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using common sense, misc should have same triangles/size texture limit as hats.
  • dynamic glue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS wrote: »
    This is a free 3d software. Never used it but many guys made pretty decent models with it. Dunno if it's easier than 3ds max, maya, xsi or others for the "brand new to modeling" guys but you can give it a try and see if it seems cool to you.

what do you mean have u actually listed a program?
  • brutal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a deadline for opening a wip thread?
  • l33tz0rx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ,but can I make a futuristic thing for the Engineer? I mean come one, teleporters.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    GoSsS wrote: »
    Just a little question about texture size.
    It's said we can use a 512x512 but is it possible to use a 256x1024 one (same pixel number at the end)?
    Short answer, no.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Spark wrote: »
    I'm brand new to modeling, but I've always been a TF2 fan, so I thought that I should try to make my own weapons and hats.
    I downloaded a program called "Blender."
    Will this program work? Or is there something else I need to use?
    Yes, Blender or any other 3D package is fine to create your entries in. As long as you can output to OBJ format you'll be fine.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geal wrote: »
    So I have made a folded-up newspaper hat for the Scout. I took some of the newspaper pages from the WAR! update sites to create my texture, editing the colors and shading of the pages to look better in-game. Is this allowed, or will I need to use a different texture?
    All work has to be your own, entirely your own. It shouldn't be too hard for you to recreate the look.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie wrote: »
    ALlright, I asked this before but it isnt answered yet:

Is it allowed to make a hat that covers the front or the entire head? Im asking this because there are no hats that do this yet(except for the halloween mask).
    If there aren't many hats that do this, this may be style choice by Valve. Being able to see the player model's face so you can determine the class of the player when their body is obscured might be key.
    So I would do this at your own risk.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brutal wrote: »
    Is there a deadline for opening a wip thread?
    No, there isn't a dealine, but creating a WIP thread in the final week of the contest and just doing dump of your final entries will mean an automatic disqualification of your entry.
    It is important to show progress in your WIP thread, almost as important as showing your final images.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    l33tz0rx wrote: »
    ,but can I make a futuristic thing for the Engineer? I mean come one, teleporters.
    I would personally steer clear from anything futuristic, but if you can make it work within the TF2 art style and universe, then it should be fine.
  • RobNels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi i have some verry good demoman item ideas but unfortunetly do not know how to make them so i was wondering if anyone would be kind enought to make it and (share the credit) ot make a tutorial on how to make my ideas
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    You must create a minimum of three unique items for only one particular class (e.g. 1 x primary weapon, 1 x secondary weapon, 1 x hat – you cannot do 2 or more of the same item)

Does this rule mean that I can ONLY make one item of each slot, so 1 primary 1 secondary 1 melee 1 misc and 1 hat, or can I make say 1 primary, secondary and melee then make 2 or 3 misc items?

I originally interpreted this rule as "You can't just make 3 hats, dumbo" but now I'm not so confident of it's meaning.

For instance I wanted to make a primary secondary and melee replacement for the medic then the backpack as a misc item as well as the shoe covers as a misk item. This seems perfectly reasonable to me but the rule above seems to disallow this.

Halp!
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, Blender or any other 3D package is fine to create your entries in. As long as you can output to OBJ format you'll be fine.

Erm, I can't produce OBJ files because what I'm using has no facility to do so. I can make SMD though - I'm using the Softimage/XSI Mod Tool 7.5

I'd emailed Valve about this before this contest was even announced and had it confirmed that they don't mind getting SMD and no OBJ (and actually noted that that is prefered), and I know of at least one other individual out there who's done the same.

I can forward a copy of my query and reply to an organiser if somebody PM's me an email address, though it's probably worth one of you getting a seperate confirmation on this for the contest? They were really quick in replying when I asked.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    I am not sure if this has been asked yet but sorry if it has and I just missed it. Are we supposed to be making both the world and higher poly view models of our weapons? I noticed valve cuts out most of the unseen triangles on view models, wasnt sure if we should do that before submission or not.
  • Spazzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    Erm, I can't produce OBJ files because what I'm using has no facility to do so. I can make SMD though - I'm using the Softimage/XSI Mod Tool 7.5

I'd emailed Valve about this before this contest was even announced and had it confirmed that they don't mind getting SMD and no OBJ (and actually noted that that is prefered), and I know of at least one other individual out there who's done the same.

I can forward a copy of my query and reply to an organiser if somebody PM's me an email address, though it's probably worth one of you getting a seperate confirmation on this for the contest? They were really quick in replying when I asked.

I was able to get around this by downloading xsi mod tools 6 - it can export to .obj format, so what you can do is export the model that you've done in 7.5 into .xsi format, and then import it into xsi mod tools 6, and then you can export it into .obj

really wish they hadn't removed .obj exporting in 7.5.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this isn't directly related to the comp, but in the rules it say's "if a friend helped you create a Hair Shader to credit him"

TF2 has a Hair Shader?!?!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Does this rule mean that I can ONLY make one item of each slot, so 1 primary 1 secondary 1 melee 1 misc and 1 hat, or can I make say 1 primary, secondary and melee then make 2 or 3 misc items?

I originally interpreted this rule as "You can't just make 3 hats, dumbo" but now I'm not so confident of it's meaning.

For instance I wanted to make a primary secondary and melee replacement for the medic then the backpack as a misc item as well as the shoe covers as a misk item. This seems perfectly reasonable to me but the rule above seems to disallow this.

Halp!
    You're on the right track and what you've said is completely right regarding the "You can't just make 3 hates, dumbo" part :D
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    I am not sure if this has been asked yet but sorry if it has and I just missed it. Are we supposed to be making both the world and higher poly view models of our weapons? I noticed valve cuts out most of the unseen triangles on view models, wasnt sure if we should do that before submission or not.
    The world models are totally up to you, they are not required for the contest.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there any tutorials for getting stuff in Source? Namely looking at how the model fits into the animations :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    You're on the right track and what you've said is completely right regarding the "You can't just make 3 hates, dumbo" part :D

So I'm not gunna risk none of my items winning because I did two miscs instead of a misc and a hat?

I am glad.

Hats are really lame now there are so many, misc items is where it's at!
  • offsuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm completely new to both modelling and this forum(hi), so I have 2 questions:

1) If I make (for example) 5 items for the soldier, is it possible that Valve only takes a few and adds them to the game? Or do they have to like the complete pack and add it whole?

2) Can we still submit one item through the TF2 Contribute thing?

Thanks.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm not gunna risk none of my items winning because I did two miscs instead of a misc and a hat?

I am glad.

Hats are really lame now there are so many, misc items is where it's at!
    Once again, I would personally stay away from doing multiples of the same item type unless they can all be equipped at the exact same time.
    There is no point doing 2 hats, because you can't wear them both at the same time, same goes for no point doing 2 primary weapons, as you can only have 1 equipped at any point in time.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    offsuit wrote: »
    Hey, I'm completely new to both modelling and this forum(hi), so I have 2 questions:

1) If I make (for example) 5 items for the soldier, is it possible that Valve only takes a few and adds them to the game? Or do they have to like the complete pack and add it whole?

2) Can we still submit one item through the TF2 Contribute thing?

Thanks.
    1 - It certainly would be possible that Valve may only select 3 of your 5 items from the pack. However, if you submit 5 items and win, chances are all 5 of your items will be included in the single pack.

2 - Yes, you are still able to submit single items through the Contribute Page. Bare in mind that it won't be submitted as a part of "The Polycount Pack" Contest.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spazzo wrote: »
    I was able to get around this by downloading xsi mod tools 6 - it can export to .obj format, so what you can do is export the model that you've done in 7.5 into .xsi format, and then import it into xsi mod tools 6, and then you can export it into .obj

really wish they hadn't removed .obj exporting in 7.5.

Well I tried that before, and found that it broke the bones and screwed up the smoothing. That was why I emailed them at all. Having the following reply means I haven't bothered with OBJ for my contributes made with the mod tool:
    RE: TF2 Contribute model file question‏
    Sent: 16 April 2010 21:43:17
    To: [my email]

Hi [my name].
    SMD files are fine (preferred over OBJ files, in fact).

Robin.

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:33 PM
    To: Robin Walker
    Subject: TF2 Contribute model file question

Hi Robin,

A quick question regarding the required model formats for the contribute site:

I'm using the Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 and it can't export OBJ files, or QL or MT, but I do have working SMD files. I can make OBJ via other programs but various details break in the export/import/export process.

Are these formats vital? Somebody on the Steam forums mentioned they had confirmation they aren't (ref link below), could you confirm that for me?

Thanks,
    [my name]

link:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14383654&postcount=29
    I would still like confirmation from somebody at polycount as to whether or not .QL, .OBJ, or .MT are actually required for this contest, since you're enforcing things like the 512 x 512 texture size.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding .QL, .OBJ and .MT files. Those were the specs given to us by Valve in regards to file type submissions at the beginning of the contest.
    Between then and now, I haven't heard anything directly from Valve to contradict those specifications.
  • Rogue Trooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would you guys say to a thread where we can post ideas not having anything to do with your current projects, discuss themes and other stuff. Because really, I have no modeling talent but I would be very happy if anyone ran with my ideas.

I also have a lot of free time so I could go through every thread, see what people are doing and summarize it so a new guy could come in, see what's been done to death and do something more original. What do you think?
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    To avoid turning Swizzle's entry thread into a HLMV assistance thread I'll ask here. How do you get rid of the axis widget on models in the viewer so you can take a decent screenshot?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    So I have a question about submitting compiled models. It says that if we use jigglebones we must compile our models for the game. The only way I have seen to compile things like weapons is to replace existing weapons, which is something im sure valve probably wouldn't appreciate right? So is there some other info out there that explains how we can create completely new items?
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    nrek wrote: »
    So I have a question about submitting compiled models. It says that if we use jigglebones we must compile our models for the game. The only way I have seen to compile things like weapons is to replace existing weapons, which is something im sure valve probably wouldn't appreciate right? So is there some other info out there that explains how we can create completely new items?

Test it out by replacing it with an existing weapon, then when you're ready to submit change the QC so that it compiles it with a unique name. As long as that is the only change you make you know it will work.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon wrote: »
    To avoid turning Swizzle's entry thread into a HLMV assistance thread I'll ask here. How do you get rid of the axis widget on models in the viewer so you can take a decent screenshot?

uncheck attachments and bones in hlmv
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Rules say
    You must create a minimum of three unique items for only one particular class (e.g. 1 x primary weapon, 1 x secondary weapon, 1 x hat – you cannot do 2 or more of the same item)
    If I wanted to start a second class pack after finishing my first pack early, would I be allowed to submit the second pack?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rules say If I wanted to start a second class pack after finishing my first pack early, would I be allowed to submit the second pack?
    I do believe the moderators have said that we can post a separate entry thread with items for another class.
    Both entries will be viable as long as they have 3 items in each pack, and the items are each for a separate slot.
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the rules say you need to make 3 items in 3 different slots, but what if you create 4 items with 2 coming from the same slot? (Eg. 1 primary x 2 secondary x 1 hat)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkeez wrote: »
    I know the rules say you need to make 3 items in 3 different slots, but what if you create 4 items with 2 coming from the same slot? (Eg. 1 primary x 2 secondary x 1 hat)
    I wonder this too :O
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cause I was going to make a shotgun and sandvich replacement for the heavy, so it's not like I'm making 2 shotgun replacements, they are completely different weapons. Plus I was making a melee replacement and a hat too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Monkeez wrote: »

Sounds good!
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would modding the huntsman and the huntsman arrow be considered two weapons or just one? because the huntsman, and the arrow are two completely different model files, but they are used on the same weapon.

I'm planing on modeling a new huntsman and arrow, as well as two other weapons, but this will just be my excuse if i run out of time and cant make the last one.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm having alot of problems decompiling .mdl files right now. Is Cannonfodder's MDL Decompiler really the only program avaliable? It just will not stop throwing up errors. Every time I get rid of one I get another.

HELP ME OBI-WAN YOUR MY ONLY HOPE
  • Grobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to de-compile some models from TF2 so I can scale my contest entries to them but I'm having trouble with the CannonFodder mdldecompiler.

At first it was a game-info.txt error but that seems to have fixed itself after re-installing the SDK, now I'm getting the following message whenever I try and choose a model;

"Extra App ID set to 211, but no SteamAppId."

Does anyone know what is up with this program? It seems setting everything up for source modding is quite tedious in comparison to other engines.

Thanks for any help!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Are you me!! :O
  • Ritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ritz polycounter lvl 10
    Turn off the 'Use Steam Access' option, I think that's your problem.
  • Grobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could be, unless you are you and I'm someone else entirely of course.

And thanks Ritz, I think that's fixed it!

EDIT : Scratch that, new error now;

Unable to load Output Directory\heavy.dx80.vtx
    No Reference Decompile

Then the program crashes. :(
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    would modding the huntsman and the huntsman arrow be considered two weapons or just one? because the huntsman, and the arrow are two completely different model files, but they are used on the same weapon.

I'm planing on modeling a new huntsman and arrow, as well as two other weapons, but this will just be my excuse if i run out of time and cant make the last one.

Just one weapon. The arrow is the huntsman ammo.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Need to butt in here guys - how are you going about viewing your MDL files? The MDLViewer included the SDK doesn't seem to load anything outside of the GCF Cache files and ChumbalumSoft's MDL viewer crashes when loading TF2 models.