Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Team Fortress 2: Polycount Pack - Questions and Answers

Replies

• Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm fine with that Aesir, I'd just like confirmation if it is ok to enter with that idea. So no disqualification risk and all that. :)
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of new people here who could use this info (I only got into this about a week ago and this was invaluble to me).

EDIT: Moved this to the FAQ thread.
  • Kirbyfactor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Say if i wanna make a medal replacement for the scout (say a small beard or something) will it replace the medal on all my classes?
  • Black Puffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a fairly experienced modeler and animator but I have no idea how to make custom animations for TF2. Can someone point me in the right direction? Perhaps a tutorial of sorts.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, i have seen you ask people on several threads "what their theme is?" can you clarify what you mean by this? do we need to have a unifying theme tieing all three of our items together? or are you just saying that because you don't think their idea fits the tf2 universe?

thanks.
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    Snipergen wrote: »
    I'm fine with that Aesir, I'd just like confirmation if it is ok to enter with that idea. So no disqualification risk and all that. :)

i dont think you would get disqualified, but you have less of a chance of winning because it would take valve's implementation to get it working. where if you simply replace something they dont have to do extra work. at least thats how i see it
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    snipergen, I'd say, go with your idea, but as a primary choice have it work with the original functionality, and add an extra "alternative" option ( in your case, make it work for laserguided mortars/rockets ) to your submission. I don't think valve would mind bonus stuff :P

good luck!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Is it allowed to make a hat that covers the entire head, or a large part of the face of the class? Just asking because besides the halloween masks no other hats do this yet.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    hey thanks Zipfinator! this was exactly what I was searching for. I wasent too into extracting them tonight. :thumbup:
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    If you don't want to download GCFScape and extract all the files and decompile them, you can download them in OBJ (I think that's the format they're in) here.
  • Coolbot4k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coolbot4k polycounter lvl 10
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and 3D modeling in general. I've gotten a few of my own models into TF2, but I had a few questions about this contest.
    First, the guide says that unlockables must maintain the functionality of what they are replacing. However, can we make items that are wearables (like the Demoman's Targe) that would replace a weapon?
    Second, I'm not the best 3D modeler. Most custom models for TF2 that I see are of amazing quality. I'm wondering if I should even attempt to take part in the contest knowing that my stuff will more than likely be of less than exceptional quality.

Thanks for your time!
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the 3 items allowed to be of the same slot, or do they all have to be of different slots?

I can't model at all yet, but if I would miraculously learn in time to make a few creations...
    Would I be allowed to make 2 melee weapons and a hat?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Snipergen, just do it dude. I believe in you! lolol
  • Joe Inky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the term of group submissions.

If I can't model but my friend can, And I can texture but he can't would we be able to just submit it under his name but put me in the notes as helping with it?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Adam, i have seen you ask people on several threads "what their theme is?" can you clarify what you mean by this? do we need to have a unifying theme tieing all three of our items together? or are you just saying that because you don't think their idea fits the tf2 universe?

thanks.

I'd like this answered too. I keep seeing people talk about theme and I'm having a hard time thinking of how you make 3 items as a theme? I assumed we just have to make everything thing fit in the tf2 theme/universe for the character that we intend to build stuff for. Or am I wrong and we need to do like xmas themes, halloween ect...?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Ryu Ookami wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Well, I have a few questions because I already created and uploaded 19 different weapons since valve started the TF2 Contribute event on January. I already read about all the rules and term for this contest and I might wanne post theese weapons here too. But on the other side, I might don't have the time to do that for all items. (If you wanne see those items, take a look at www.tf2ci.com)

Well, here are my questions:

1. Do I need to have at least 3 custom items for every character I made weapons for ? For e.g. is it possible to present 3 items for the Pyro and 2 for the sniper ?
    According to my personal TF2 Custom Items website, you see that I have 3 Pyro, 6 Spy, 2 Heavy, 1 Scout, 2 Sniper, 1 Demoman, 2 Engeneer, 1 Soldier and 1 Medic Custom Items. And as I said, I may don't have much time, especially to make new concepts and items for the missing slots of the other characters.
    For this contest you are required to make 3 or more custom items for one particular class, you do not have to make custom items for every class in the game.
    However, you CANNOT use existing work or work created prior to the commencement of the contest. All of the custom weapons you've made prior to this are ineligible for this contest and you must concept/model/texture all new assets to be eligible.
    2. Do I have to make thread for every single weapon ? Or for every single Weapon Class Set ? When I post every 19 items I have it will look pretty dominated/spammed in this forum and it also took a lot of time to make a thread for each item.
    You create one thread per weapon set, not one thread per item.
    3. Do I really have to show the progress or can I just tell what I made/thought of while I was working on it ? I also can proof that those items belong to me then. by taking screenshots from my 3D Software tool and the UV map.
    To re-iterate, you CANNOT use your previously created items for this contest. It has to be all new and all progress must be show in your Work In Progress thread. Starting from concept, to modeling, to texturing and evey other step you make towards creating your final assets.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Coolbot4k wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Second, I'm not the best 3D modeler. Most custom models for TF2 that I see are of amazing quality. I'm wondering if I should even attempt to take part in the contest knowing that my stuff will more than likely be of less than exceptional quality.
    thats what the WIP thread is for, just start modeling, update your thread allot and the community will give suggestions and tips to improve the final result

the TF2 style is quite simple in modeling and texturing. the design will be the most challenging trough.

But I am sure with the help of the community you will be able to submit something worthy
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing wrote: »
    1. I suppose that the WIP topic that we must create are to abort stealing ideas or something like that, am I wrong ?
    The idea of the WIP thread is to show your progress of creating the entry to indicate that it is your idea and that it is your work. It's also to show that you are creating new items and using existing work.
    2. About the WIP topic, do we have a kind of presentation that we have to respect ? If yes, is there an example anywhere ?
    As far as presentation goes, just take screenshots from your 3D application viewport or your work in progress and that will be sufficient.
    If you want to make it more presentable by putting borders or using scanline renders, etc, then that is totally up to you.
    As long as we are able to clearly see what it is you're creating and the process of the creation, then it is more than acceptable.
    3. As I said, I am a noob for 3D and 2D art. I don't know how to create animated texture and team-coloured texture, can anyone help me, please ?
    Here is the official Valve tips and style guide: http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/tips.php
    You can also load up the source textures through the Model Viewer in the SourceSDK to see how they paint their items.
    4. Same thing about animations, how many animations do we have to do for the weapons ? (Idle, Firing, Walking, Jumping... ?)
    You aren't required to do any animations for the weapons. You can supply them as an added option if your items require custom animations.
    If you're re-designing the Scout's Scattergun and it is the same proportions, then the existing animation set should plug right in.
    5. Do we have to create completely our weapons (With particles effects, position/rotation on the wearer, from where the bullets goes out...), or it is accepted without it all and you (VALVe ?) will do it by following original ideas ?
    You do not have to create particle effects or the position/rotation. Once again, these are all just added bonus that you can voluntarily supply.
    6. What about dimensions ?
    I thinked about decompiling official models to use it as example for dimensions, but I can't do it...
    Here are a few great examples of how to get access to the source models.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1136981&postcount=32
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1137079&postcount=45
    7. I don't know how to compile a Static Prop, so I let you imagine about compiling a weapon/hat...
    Can anyone help me about it ?
    You do not have to compile your final assets, as long as you're able to provide your final model in OBJ format and your final textures, you'll be fine. Once again, compiling your models are just added bonus.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Are the 3 items allowed to be of the same slot, or do they all have to be of different slots?

I can't model at all yet, but if I would miraculously learn in time to make a few creations...
    Would I be allowed to make 2 melee weapons and a hat?
    No, the idea is that you create a set of 3 or more items for the class to cover as many of their items as possible. Rather than just doing 2 or more variations of the same item.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thanks.
    Yes, you are required to have a unifying theme.
    For example: a Cowboy set for the Engy. He has a Southern background, so you could use that to theme his items: A Cowboy hat, western styled shotgun, a blacksmith hammer, etc.

It doesn't have to be THAT literal, but you need to have some kind of theme tying all the items together to that one particular set. These are the things that Valve will be looking for when selecting the winners.
    If you're just doing "re-skins" of existing items, it shows lack of creativity.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the idea is that you create a set of 3 or more items for the class to cover as many of their items as possible. Rather than just doing 2 or more variations of the same item.

Ah, good to know.
    I'm guessing this means that the number of our submissions is judged by how many slots we use rather than how many items we model?

So if I make 2 melee weapons and a primary weapon, I have with my 3 items only filled 2 slots.
    However if I were to add a secondary or a hat on top of that, I would with my 4 items have filled the 3 different slots needed to make my entry viable.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To re-iterate, you CANNOT use your previously created items for this contest. It has to be all new and all progress must be show in your Work In Progress thread. Starting from concept, to modeling, to texturing and evey other step you make towards creating your final assets.

So with other words it means, that all the stuff I made was just in the wrong time and the wrong place, which means that I never can use them for anything.
    I can make a "Work in Progress" of those items if you want to put it in that way, but I guess I'm already disqualified.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So with other words it means, that all the stuff I made was just in the wrong time and the wrong place, which means that I never can use them for anything.
    I can make a "Work in Progress" of those items if you want to put it in that way, but I guess I'm already disqualified.

As far as I understand, you are allowed to make new and improved models of the old ideas from scratch. This would in turn also allow you to more throughly think of the theme your entries will revolve around, and scratch the old ideas that did not fit into this theme.

(This is only an assumption though, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
    (Turns out I was wrong after all)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, for this particular contest your existing items cannot be used and cannot be considered as valid entries.

All entries have be new ideas and new assets created specifically for this contest.
  • Ryu Ookami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    As far as I understand, you are allowed to make new and improved models of the old ideas from scratch. This would in turn also allow you to more throughly think of the theme your entries will revolve around, and scratch the old ideas that did not fit into this theme.

(This is only an assumption though, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
    Well, it wasn't my attention to use all custom items I made before. And I may also thought about doing some upgrades on those items as well. (for e.g. making the look of some items more rusty or more dirty) But I don't have the time to recreate the items to the given deadline.
    Unfortunately, for this particular contest your existing items cannot be used and cannot be considered as valid entries.

All entries have be new ideas and new assets created specifically for this contest.

Guess beeing honest was my personal doom. Good for all other people that usually such things can't be proofed.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

Come on dude, a guy can't enter the olympics and then just submit his best time from some other race.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ hah. :D

So if i'm to understand this correctly, i can create multiple themes, or sets of items for any class? I.e. cowboy engineer and vodka heavy?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, just submit them separately from one another (Vodka Heavy is separate from Cowboy Engineer).
  • AyesDyef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do believe that all models should be created from scratch? Because I can already see many models here which were already being made before this competition started.
  • Knee of Justice
    I've been thinking about making nun-chucks. Would they change the animation to suit the nun-chucks, or recycle the old animation?

EDIT: Moved this into the TF2 FAQ thread.
  • jimin3d
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the idea have to be completely new?
    If I for example drew an image of something at one point that I would like the Pyro to have, would the entry be disqualified if I modeled that idea and 2 other items in the same theme?

Oh and on the topic of this thread...
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73141
    Are we allowed to make items that retain basically same usage as the old weapon but have a unique secondary attack? (the secondary only using effects that already exist in tf2)
    The secondary attack being modeled into the weapon such as the Sandman ball, and not just a random trait added like the Backburner.

If for example I made a melee weapon that had an animated secondary attack that stunned people on contact, would that be allowed?

A good example would be Twigbag's revolver unlock:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73246

(Sorry for asking so many questions... I can't model well so if I put effort into learning and to be a part of this contest, I want to make sure my idea won't be automatically disqualified)
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure about the 3 minimal items rule, does it mean it has to be 1 primary, 1 secondary, 1 melee, or we can do (2 or meele + 1 secondary) or (2 primary + 1 secondary) etc ?

Thanks
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BANG! wrote: »
    I am not sure about the 3 minimal items rule, does it mean it has to be 1 primary, 1 secondary, 1 melee, or we can do (2 or meele + 1 secondary) or (2 primary + 1 secondary) etc ?

Thanks

Three of the items have to be of different slots.
    2 melee weapons and one secondary only fills 2 item slots, melee and secondary.

In order to make 2 items of the same slot, you have to make 2 other items of different slots.
    So if you make 2 melee weapons and one secondary, you have to make another item that is a misc/hat/melee to fill the third item slot.

The number of your entries are counted by the slots they fill, not the amount items you make.
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright thanks, also we can only do items for one class only, right?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BANG! wrote: »
    Allright thanks, also we can only do items for one class only, right?

You are allowed to make items for more than one class, but they must be separate entries, and they must all contain items for 3 of the characters slots.
  • Omnituens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question - Alot of threads for this are already up, but what if I post my ideas and it turns out someone already posted one same/similar? Are we expected to check all threads for duplicates?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nah, thats fine. Just submit your art.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Just a little question about texture size.
    It's said we can use a 512x512 but is it possible to use a 256x1024 one (same pixel number at the end)?
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Say if i wanna make a medal replacement for the scout (say a small beard or something) will it replace the medal on all my classes?

I second this question. A point in the right direction would be lovely.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime wrote: »
    I second this question. A point in the right direction would be lovely.

It would be a misc item for Scout.
    Like the Camera beard, it would only work as a misc item on that class.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since you have to attach them individually in-game, probably not. if it was accepted, then valve would add it as a new medal, unless you're adding youself it by telling the game the model for "X medal" is actually your new custom model. then yuor just replacing/overwriting an existing medal and any instance where "X medal" appeared it would instead show your model.
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Oops I am new on the forum and apparently quoted the wrong post, here is what I meant to be seconded.
    I'm a fairly experienced modeler and animator but I have no idea how to make custom animations for TF2. Can someone point me in the right direction? Perhaps a tutorial of sorts.

Also in the link with the character models there isn't the weapons... Is there any tutorials on where to get the weapon models? I don't need the textures or anything I'd just like them for size comparison so the animation would still work with the weapon. Thanks :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    GoSsS wrote: »
    Just a little question about texture size.
    It's said we can use a 512x512 but is it possible to use a 256x1024 one (same pixel number at the end)?

I second this question. I think it would be alright but it'd be good to have an official answer.
  • Mr.Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm brand new to modeling, but I've always been a TF2 fan, so I thought that I should try to make my own weapons and hats.
    I downloaded a program called "Blender."
    Will this program work? Or is there something else I need to use?
  • Geal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have made a folded-up newspaper hat for the Scout. I took some of the newspaper pages from the WAR! update sites to create my texture, editing the colors and shading of the pages to look better in-game. Is this allowed, or will I need to use a different texture?
  • dynamic glue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey does anyone know whether there is a specific program to use and/or suggest one to use. Thanks.:)
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    This is a free 3d software. Never used it but many guys made pretty decent models with it. Dunno if it's easier than 3ds max, maya, xsi or others for the "brand new to modeling" guys but you can give it a try and see if it seems cool to you.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    ALlright, I asked this before but it isnt answered yet:

Is it allowed to make a hat that covers the front or the entire head? Im asking this because there are no hats that do this yet(except for the halloween mask).
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie wrote: »
    ALlright, I asked this before but it isnt answered yet:

Is it allowed to make a hat that covers the front or the entire head? Im asking this because there are no hats that do this yet(except for the halloween mask).

Yes. the 3rd person model has nothing to do with how first person sees things, unless I'm massively mistaken.
  • Joe Inky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Inky wrote: »
    On the term of group submissions.

If I can't model but my friend can, And I can texture but he can't would we be able to just submit it under his name but put me in the notes as helping with it?

Could someone answer this question? It's kinda important and is what is restraining me from making a topic atm, I don't know if texturing the model counts as a small thing like it says on the rules:
    Ideally, you will enter this contest alone. No group submissions. That said, if someone helped you on something specific (e.g.: Hair shader) then credit them in your notes and Valve will take it from there.