Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @Mad_Llama thanks, but the tabs from the T menu are gone now in 2.8. All I found under the Face dropdown are Shade Smooth/Flat. I haven't had much time at all looking into this but I'll definitely go deeper as I put more time into testing Blender.

I have messed around in Hardops and there is smoothing tools in there, but I was looking for something more dedicated to the task.
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama polycounter lvl 6
    @musashidan t menu isn't gone in 2.8. the t options menu is elsewhere, you can still hit f6 to bring it up .

What you're looking for isn't face options., It's edge options, you can access those with ctrl + e which stands for edges :) also ctrl + f gives you the face menu and ctrl +v gives you vertex menu. 

If you don't like shortcuts you can find these menus on the... Mesh tab in the bottom I believe. 

I personally think that learning those shortcuts which correspond to first letter of action is just as simple or hard as learning where to find the menu for it. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mad_Llama Yes, but the tabs are gone from the T menu in 2.8. Thanks, I have been using those shortcuts(I'm a hotkey fanatic, my Max is hotkeyed to the eyeballs!) Those ones are very clever.

However, there's nothing in the Edge floater. I can only find it in Mesh>Shading>Smooth/Sharp edges. Mesh tab from the bottom is now a dropdown at the top in 2.8.

@Nosslak thanks mate, that's useful to know.
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan oh! Got it. Well 2.8 is still far from done. They're still making pretty big changes daily. I'm using 2.79 for production, just playing around with 2.8, last week it crashed for me everytime I created a material or started rendering... 

Anyways hopefully you get used to it, also try mapping select more to Alt + Mouse wheel up and select less to Alt + wheel down,  that's probably my number one most beloved change, after I freed up the + and - buttons I assigned them to boundary select and select checker deselect, it's super useful :)
  • cjpeg
    Offline / Send Message
    cjpeg null
    Hello fellow blender users!
    I am pretty new to CG - I was learning CG for about half a year and learned maya. But I think about to switch to blender when 2.8 will come out.
    I was just wondering about - will the new 2.8 version support old addons?
    And what addons for blender are essential?

Sorry for offtipic thou, I saw some pretty pixelized style piuctures on artstation where some person used PyxelEdit program - is it worth it?

Thank very one for answers in advance!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mad_Llama Thanks again. I have 2.79b installed and initially decided to start learning as I bought Hardops/boxcutter, but I've just today seen the Speedflow addon videos and it blew me away. Blender seems to be the only DCC capable of dynamic beveling while boolean modeling. From a lot of what I've seen lately of Blender I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the modeling workflow is fast becoming the best of all the DCCs. And I don't say that lightly. I've been using Max for many, many years and am proficient in modeling in Maya and Modo also.

As for Alt.............I have Blender set up with Maya nav so Alt is taken. :)
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    2.8 Has a release date for October 20th! For everyone who is making plugins, they are looking to have the API finalized on September 19th

• Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    @musashidan I totally agree. And it doesn't seem like it'll stop anytime soon with 2.8 widgets :)
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    I've started turning my old details into plugs. This one is of course based heavily on one the legendary Vitaly Bulgarov is using.

Also, Plugception. Video is reversed and 2x speed. At the end the data transfer breaks down and won't transfer the normals anymore.

A week ago or so, sb ask if he can do the following with MESHmachine and yes he can, it's what the Refuse tool is for, which basically just Unfuses and Fuses again.

Also, I made this, to turn results of mirror modifiers into real geometry. It creates a proper origin and orientation and supports custom normals:

There's an updated video on twitter,  showing multi modifier and multi axis support:

For me it was important to have this, so I can work with object space texturing after using the mirror mods.  Also due to the reliance on custom normals by various tools in MESHmachine, not being able to use the mirror mod, was not acceptable.
    It also means, imported geometry from Fusion or MOI3D can be mirrored now. 

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    All you Blender lone wolf devs are staring to make a certain giant software corporation look rather silly...... ;)
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @MACHIN3 awesome work, will test with 2.75a which due too my system specs a build that's rock solid stable and by the way I've always had trouble with bevelling, well optimising to a minimum at least via the modifier stack  :/
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    sacboi said:
    @MACHIN3 awesome work, will test with 2.75a which due too my system specs a build that's rock solid stable and by the way I've always had trouble with bevelling, well optimising to a minimum at least via the modifier stack  :/
    That's from before I was using Blender. I doubt it will work.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    cjpeg said:
    Hello fellow blender users!
    I am pretty new to CG - I was learning CG for about half a year and learned maya. But I think about to switch to blender when 2.8 will come out.
    I was just wondering about - will the new 2.8 version support old addons?
    And what addons for blender are essential?

Sorry for offtipic thou, I saw some pretty pixelized style piuctures on artstation where some person used PyxelEdit program - is it worth it?

Thank very one for answers in advance!
    Hi @cjpeg
    2.8 will have some API changes (Blender API = the coding libraries and rules that developers use to make add-ons for it), so almost all add-ons for 2.79b will need to pass through some kind of porting in order to work with 2.8 when it's released as stable.

Many quirks and workflows will still be the same as in 2.79, so you can speed up your adoption by learning 2.79 right now and waiting for 2.8 to be ready for production (i.e ready to be used professionally. It's still under dev. and it crashes often).

Essential add-ons... it depends on what you want to do with it? There are add-ons for everything, free and commercial, that improve usability or add new features altogether. If you find out what subjects you're interested in, it'll be easier to search for them.
    But you can go a long, long way just using the built-in stuff and customising \ memorising the hotkeys. Go here for some tutorials: https://polycount.com/discussion/154788/blender-tutorials

EDIT: don't know about PyxelEdit, I haven't used it. You could give GraphicsGale a try, it went freeware 2017.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

@MACHIN3 ah...right thanks and yes correct doesn't work on my system. I guess now is a good time to seriously think about a total upgrade.

Cheers.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    On the reoccurring topic of 2.8 : I would actually highly recommend anyone with a recent interest in Blender to *not* get into it.

Sure, there are downloads available for beta testing but there is zero point for a new user to get into that. Even some of the viewport modes are currently missing (or at least they were last time I had a peak), and for a reason - it's all still in development.

Just pick up one of the recent, rock solid releases  and enjoy buttery smooth workflow and operation (I am on 2.78 myself and it is fantastic ! No crashes and great performance).

And even when 2.8 gets eventually released there would be no point getting into it for at least a couple months. Blender devs are fantastic, but they are not more immune to making mistakes than Microsoft or Autodesk employees. Just be patient and enjoy a fantastic tool as it currently is :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior I'm enjoying any chance I get to have a mess about in Blender, but the one thing that's really putting me off is the smoothing groups workflow.

In object mode you have smooth shading for the entire mesh and an Autosmooth checkbox. And then there are 3 options to shade faces/edges/verts in Edit mode. Then you have a Smooth option in the W(special) menu. Then you can mark edges as well.

I don't know, the whole set up seems a bit messy. I'm used to just selecting groups of faces in Max and hitting my Autosmooth hotkey.

I realise that the fault is that I haven't figured out the proper way to do it, but searching for this just produces endless results of 'just use subsurf' - which is obviously nothing to do with the issue - or to use some edgesplit modifier - which seems like a hack.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Set object shading to smooth, set autosmooth to the highest value, and mark edges as sharp in the edge menu. That's it :) (not saying that it is easy to find or intuitive - but once you know about it, it's pretty straightforward.)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior Thanks. I had figured out how to do it, but I was just wondering why you have to set up the Autosmooth at object level and then go into Edit mode and do it again? And then you have all those other options I mentioned in 3 or 4 different locations.

The reason I suppose this was frustrating me is that I was testing out the 'Bake Bevel' feature of TexTools and no matter how I set it up there were NM errors. If Blender natively uses MikkT then it should be a simple case of set the object to smooth and bake averaged. But for whatever reason if I do this then the map bakes blank. If I use hard edge/uv split method the map bakes and looks good.

Do you know if the Blender MikkT implementation can work as expected with a fully averaged mesh?

Edit: I can actually see now that the Autosmooth at object level is just like having a Smooth modifier at the top of the stack in Max.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    does anyone have any pointers on how to replicate 3ds max's UVW Xform modifier functionality in Blender somehow? this one: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-1DF6E0C0-5A36-4B74-AB04-124AC6083C4F-htm.html

pretty helpful if you need to adjust existing UV coordinates in a non-destructive way - e.g. for engine export (shift or rotate a UV tile).

also, any way to sort multiple UV channels and copy and paste between them on a mesh?

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @musashidan Even as a long time Blender user, I also find that Blender has a couple of "double" or "triple" settings to achieve same result, and it's a bit weird, but once you get used to it, all makes sense, eventually. Just check what they do individually and if there's some differences, choose whatever works you the best. I usually do these steps for my low poly before I start unwrapping UVs:

1. Set the whole mesh smooth either from A. Tools panel (T-panel because of the hotkey T) > Shading: Smooth (or Flat), or B. in the edit mode by pressing W to access Special menu and choosing "Shade Smooth" or C. still in the edit mode by pressing Ctrl + F and choosing the same "Shade Smooth", which is just a menu specifically for "Faces". For vertices it's Ctrl + V and for edges it's Ctrl + E.

2. Removing possible double vertices which aren't connected but they'll share the same location by pressing W to access that Specials menu again, and choosing "Remove Doubles". It merges them together to a single vertex.

3. Recalculating face normals by pressing Ctrl + N in the edit mode. Actually it's called "Make Normals Consistent" to be more precise, at least what the operator is calling it, haha. Can be accessed from the Tools menu too, but I've got used to the hotkey a lot.

4. Back in the object mode I apply the object's transformations (location 0,0,0 - rotation 0,0,0 - and scale 1,1,1). It's basically "Reset XForm" in Max.

5. Once UVs are done, I'll put a "Triangulate" modifier for the low poly and export it for external baking in Marmoset. But I'm also interested to test out that bevel baking in Blender someday if I have a model that could use it.

The auto smooth is for quick automatic hard edge calculation, but setting the angle of smoothing to 180 degrees gives you the full control of adding your own sharp edges, like hard edges in Maya.

If you wish to adjust your custom cages for baking inside Blender, duplicate your triangulated low poly and inflate it in the edit mode by pressing Alt + S to "Shrink/Fatten" or you can use a "Displace" modifer to do it non-destructively and play with the "Midlevel" value to adjust.

Another thing for the operators you do for your models, you'll get those settings to appear in the Tools menu once they're executed, but you can also bring a floating menu to the 3D viewport by pressing F6. Also, while performing an operation such as beveling by Ctrl + B, you'll see quick settings just below the viewport to perform with hotkeys on the fly if you wish.

Just noticed that when doing a bevel in the edit mode, there's no way to know that you can also slow down the "speed" of the values changing while adjusting the size of the bevel by holding Shift. Holding shift also works in other things, like moving objects, verts, edges, faces etc. So, that's kind of a "hidden" feature... and that's just one of them that I just remembered.

Speaking of "Edge Split" modifer. Never use that, since it physically splits the vertices and not just the shading. It's a nightmare, especially when inflating cages, holy hell. Nope. :D

I'd have so many other tips for using Blender too, but anyway, happy blending, musashidan! :)

@thomasp For sorting multiple UV channels, I think it's now possible with TexTools, and copy/paste UVs works with "Magic UV" addon (as long as the mesh shares the same topology... and same vertex order if I'm right, not sure though, but you should test it out anyhow), which is officially shipped on the latest Blender 2.79b, but it's disabled by default, so you'll need to just enable it from the addons and save user settings. ^^
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    thomasp said:
    does anyone have any pointers on how to replicate 3ds max's UVW Xform modifier functionality in Blender somehow? this one: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-1DF6E0C0-5A36-4B74-AB04-124AC6083C4F-htm.html
    Regarding your first question, a non-destructive way to transform a UV layer from an object: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/modeling/modifiers/modify/uv_warp.html
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @FourtyNights thanks for the detailed description mate.

This is my main frustration and is from the post of mine above:

The reason I suppose this was frustrating me is that I was testing out the 'Bake Bevel' feature of TexTools and no matter how I set it up there were NM errors. If Blender natively uses MikkT then it should be a simple case of set the object to smooth and bake averaged. But for whatever reason if I do this then the map bakes blank. If I use hard edge/uv split method the map bakes and looks good.

Do you know if the Blender MikkT implementation can work as expected with a fully averaged mesh?

For whatever reason if I fully smooth the mesh(which is what should be done for a fully averaged MikkT bake) TexTools baker just bakes a blank map. But maybe that's a TexTools issue I should cross post on that thread. Here's a quick example of the TexTools bevel baker I did as a test:

A little while ago I spent a lot of time trying to get decent baked results from the Round Edge Shader in Modo. The results were basically unusable. The artifacting is terrible. The good news id that Blender's bevel shader suffers from none of the issues that Modo has. :)

• pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    @thomasp You're looking for the UVWarp modifier. It compares the transformations of two dummy objects and applies the difference to your UVs. For example, cubeA and cubeB have the same base UVs here, but cubeA's are being modified by the difference between planeA and planeC, and cubeB's are being modified by the difference between planeA and planeB.

I wish there were a way to do it without the dummy objects, but I don't know of any.

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @pixelb Set the UV-warped object itself as one of the operands, so you only need 1 extra object to control the warping. The other object can be something like an empty or a bone in an armature.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    that's great, thanks for the explanation @pixelb & @RN ! at first glance appears to be more versatile than the max method. will try this ASAP.

• morepolys
    Offline / Send Message
    morepolys polycounter lvl 7
    @musashidan I've been monkeying around with the bevel stuff also, are you baking with 2 objects (one with the bevel applied, one without) or are you just using 1 object to bake the bevels out?

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @morepolys just a single object. Textools will pop up a notification when you need a high depending on what map you're baking.
  • masterxeon1001
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Hi all,

I have been a Maya LT for over a year now and most of my work has been in low poly modeling, uv texturing, and  building shader graphs. Now I am slowly learning blender 2.79 to prepare for the eventual 2.8 release, and to move away from Maya LT.

One thing I do miss: custom shelf. I know 2.8 is going to add that. But for now, is there any good recommendation if my shelf is really mostly basic tool like this?

(I know, an advanced user is suppose to use marking menu but I am not there yet)

Also, beyond changing default input to Maya preset, is there anything else you would recommend to make my life easier?

(Preferably, I want to make my Blender 2.79 experience closer to what Maya LT is, or what Blender 2.8 might be, so Blender eventually become my main tool)

Thx in advance!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i had a look at the current state of 2.8 the other week and it looks like quite a lot is changing. i'd question the benefit of really diving into 2.79 now (and configuring it to act more like another app!) because quite a bit of what needs reconfiguring to bring the app closer to what i'd call common-sense 3d app behaviour appears to be obsolete in 2.8. i'm certainly prepared to revamp my entire configuration - it already looks like quite a few workarounds can go out the window and for good.

but if you really must jump in now: you could probably replicate a (fixed) tool shelf as a pie menu to be called up when needed. it could be made to act like the hotbox in maya basically. that would pretty much require the use of the commercial addon Pie Menu Editor.

other than that the fork bforartists has a tool shelf of sorts.
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    thomasp said:
     that would pretty much require the use of the commercial addon Pie Menu Editor.
    It really only requires a text editor and an understanding how pies in blender are laid out in python, which you can learn from the supplied template scripts.

Learning some of blender 2.79  now will give you a head start with 2.80.  Yeah, some things have changed and some more will change, but blender 2.80 is still blender.

• bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Thx for the replies, I am going to ask a silly question: Has anyone tried to create a key/mouse configuration with 2.8 in mind?

https://developer.blender.org/T54963

And if I am really honest, I would love this:

UI-wise, 2.8 just feel more natural to me: it's a bit Modo-ish, the main tools are now big buttons which is good for beginners like me. Space opens context menu. Tab can even bring out pie menus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknr7OALhS0

So, I don't know, I am more inclined to learn the new key/mouse maps, but AFAIK it's not entirely possible in 2.79
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    So I have tried both 2.8 and 2.79, both look pretty promising with recently Principled BSDF integration. I do find myself spending much more time on learning 2.79 control.

For example:

- Blender 2.79 offers "Maya" and "3DS Max" key binding preset and yet none of them work like they should.

- Worse still, I soon realize using them make my experience much worse because they arbitrarily change shortcut combination, "Shift + S" snapping menu in "Maya preset" is "Shift + Ctrl + S", so none of the tutorial work.

- Blender make it even more fun by having inconsistent naming: you want to use snap menu, the manual say, but there is no snap menu, it's actually, "call menu".

- This problem exists for many tools, there is no "Bevel" item for the "Maya preset" at all, so good luck rebinding them.

Lessons:

- Only use Blender default preset, and create your custom key map out of it, anything else is waste of time.

- Blender 2.8 is going to make it a lot easier to learn, why? you don't have to use keyboard shortcut at first, main tools are highly visible buttons, not inside a 3-level hierarchy menu.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Maya nav in both 2.79 and 2.8 with no problems. The trick is to not set it to Maya from the user prefs but set it up according to a this tutorial 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12fqTUyDts0
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    I've been using Maya nav in both 2.79 and 2.8 with no problems. The trick is to not set it to Maya from the user prefs but set it up according to a this tutorial 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12fqTUyDts0
    Cheers, that's how I set it up after trying to do this with existing "maya" preset. Those non-default presets are super outdated and shouldn't be used.

I have added shortcuts like "double-click to select edge loop" too, this is where Blender shines, if I can find it then I can customized it.

I am also slowly converting from Maya's mouse-oriented shortcut to Blender's keyboard-oriented shortcut, it took a bit of time to setup but I think it will end up speeding up my process.

And UI adjustment, IMO they are much more usable this way:

• ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Good stuff @bitinn , make it your own! You can also save your different UI setups and name them (at the top where there's a + and x button next to "Default") I usually make one for modelling, and a different one for UV editing. I can see you're using Rtheme - if you like blue themes, there's Flatty Dark too, https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/78129 (I removed the gradient from the background though)

• bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Since I can't find a blender 2.80 key configuration preset, I decide to do it myself:

Do let me know what you think.

Thread: https://polycount.com/discussion/203186/blender-keymap-for-maya-unity-substance-designer-users#latest

Source: https://gist.github.com/bitinn/22f6fefe026d8d9e83468864edb8f835
  • jRocket
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    I was disappointed to learn that 2.8 will not change the object smoothing workflow. There is zero reason for the smooth/flat button to exist when the auto-smooth functionality is there. Overall, I think they have done a good job overhauling the UI in the face of die-hard Blender users who don't like change, so I still have hope that some day they will eliminate it.
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Quick question : is there a way to duplicate the same particle emitter on the same object? I know you can duplicate the emitter itself but it's not what I'm looking for.
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount said:
    Quick question : is there a way to duplicate the same particle emitter on the same object? I know you can duplicate the emitter itself but it's not what I'm looking for.
    Not sure if this is what you need but I hope so anyway. Click the arrow pointing down next to your list of particle systems and choose duplicate

Alternatively you can just press the + button and then change the "Settings:" bit to the original particle system
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
  • xrg
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    xrg said:
    Some pretty cool Eevee tests
    That's pretty feakin cool!
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    I've been playing with 2.80 on the side over the past 2 weeks.
    I've (re)built a number of pies and related convenience tools in the process. 2.80 feels great. What a difference  a viewport like this makes.

One of my favorite things are whitish matcaps , because you can mix them with a color, to either match your theme or mix with material colors. Just wonderful.

• Mink
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    RN said:

Essential add-ons... it depends on what you want to do with it? 
    TexTools is pretty close to essential imo
  • bitinn
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Hi all,

A quick question: it seem when I import DAE (collada) files, the material's shader is always empty? Even after I have setup everything in Blender, and then export to DAE with extra material information.

I would understand if DAE simply can't hold blender specific material information, could Blender setup the basic diffuse texture automatically? instead of me going in and re-wiring the trivial shader graph?

I believe Blender always does this for OBJ import. But I don't think OBJ provides more info than DAE?

(I don't have anything against OBJ, just wondering, as both DAE and OBJ are open format.)
  • xrg
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    2,8 looks really good
    only thing i am worried about is the viewport performance

• ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    2,8 looks really good
    only thing i am worried about is the viewport performance

I really hope they upgrade the viewport to handle dense meshes in edit mode. Fingers crossed
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Guys,
    We asked questions to Clément about Eevee, English version at the bottom.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GL_F2bG3zVVG-sFfQmcVKAh1Y_GllHXBV6K2iekYxwM/edit?usp=sharing