Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    greevar wrote: »
    Really? I have 4 GB and Blender will give me over 6 million polys before things get too slow. I'm also using a Radeon 5770 1GB.

Wait no, I was wrong. I can do 25 million.

Yea ZBrush owns polys. Pixologic reckon that you can get up to 1 Billion polys with HD Geometry.
    I think the most i have ever pushed in non HD mode was 50 or 60 million though, and with subtools performance wasn't a problem :)

With each subtool you can use the maximum amount of polys your PC can handle, so if thats 10 million polys and you have 20 subtools, it would be 200 million total. Im not sure if there is a limit on the amount of subtools you can have.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    metalliandy, Dim: It was actually just triangulation that had me confused. I didn't expected it to work on just one face I'd selected, so I'd never tried. So thanks. (:
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    ahh cool. NP man :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Bug fix ahoy!
    2.57a is out guys, with 100 fixes :)
    http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a moot point now but there were always 'layers' with texture paint you just had to switch which texture was the main one in the uv window, that was 2.49 in 2.5x series you could easily switch between which material or texture you were working on easily and you can and could always set blending modes for all of these. also you could even have them assigned to different uv's

it was ghetto, not streamlined and the new way im sure is better. but you *could* :)
    leilei wrote: »
    Yay! My days of single-layer 3D painting are soon to be over!

...when 2.58 comes out. I hate 2.57's UI, not because I can't 'get used to it', but it sucks for 4:3 screens and you still can't remove the left panel. It's pretty amusing that the basic ability to join UI panes was added late around 2.56.

Right now I crudely make layers by duplicating the mesh and setting it to a different texture with 0.0 alpha
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Brecht is back and it looks like Blender is getting GPU rendering (Cuda) and a new rendering engine :D
    http://code.blender.org/index.php/2011/04/modernizing-shading-and-rendering/
    w00t!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    First thought was it looks a lot like octane render, then I discovered he had worked there before, great that blender gets a new render engine it deserves it.

Will be fun to see what I turns out like :)
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    GSOC proposals accepted: http://code.blender.org/index.php/2011/04/google-summer-of-code-2011-blender-summer-of-polish-2/

Hopefully they integrate some of the stuff that was done last summer during the feature freeze as well.
  • LetterRip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LetterRip polycounter lvl 10
    Hi the author of Bmesh will be mentoring the retopology tool proposal, and the work will be done on the bmesh branch.

I'll be mentoring two students - Jason, who last year improved our sculpt tools (and will be working on sculpt and paint tools this year), and Ryakiotakis (who will work on paint, some uv tools and some weight paint tools).

I'll keep you updated as things progress. Hopefully towards the end of GSoC some of the students will start threads for feedback in the various art forums including here at polycount.
  • veno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never really understood why Blender has been bashed in the past for its UI. I've always thought it was by far the best looking UI in a 3D package I've seen. Other programs, namely 3DS, are so convoluted with text and icons that really just look awful. I can't even bare to look at it. I suppose Blender looks a little more professional than it used to, but it would pain me to say it's preferable. I've found that the keyboard shortcuts in Blender, and the usage of the 3D cursor are just so incredibly useful. I can navigate the program so much faster than I can any other. Even though I personally wouldn't change them, I think the best thing about the interface updates to 2.5 has been customizable shortcuts.

About the only post I've seen here that I agree with is that the vast majority of Blender users are noobs, and post all of their nooby productions online. It's hard to find good blender work online if you don't know where to look, and it's forever been stained by the noobstorm.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear LetterRip!
  • metalliandy
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    is there any news when the collada export will get a dialogue/export options?

it just seems to be 'ok, exported' right now
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    GsoC has a Collada this year, so maybe that will fix the issues?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone tried Maratis yet? I've been thinking of giving it a try, and I know it's designed to be used with Blender. It looks like it might be a pretty sweet way to produce some simple games, and it is easily one of the most cost-effective ways of getting games on your iThings. (iOS)
  • Dim
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    pardon me but where's the bevel tool in blender? The basic modeling tools are pretty limited.. IMHO.. or is there hidden access? Im using maya navigation btw, the default one is a lil odd to work with.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The bevel tool isnt available in 2.5 yet, though they are working on fixing it.
    I think the plan is to implement a bevel in the short term and then rewrite it for BMesh when that eventually gets released.
    There is a bevel in the modifiers though, but its based upon things like edge weight and global angles of the object (all or nothing bevelled)

In what way do you find the modelling tools to be limited? (apart from the bevel :P)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I don't think BMesh is ever coming out... the coder is just going to keep ransoming it out. Hopefully the institute put bevel in there themselves, then we'll be good to go.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The first CUDA/CPU enabled Cycles build is out guys and its super fast :)
    http://graphicall.org/130
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was watching a video about it on blendercookie... pure sex!
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    3D Buzz just released a couple of fundamentals tutorials for free @ http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?188849-Blender-Fundamentals-First-drop-of-videos-now-available-to-the-public

Haven't watched them yet but they might be of help to some people who are just starting out. These seem to be just the beginning of a series of tutorials though.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Zephiris wrote: »
    3D Buzz just released a couple of fundamentals tutorials for free @ http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?188849-Blender-Fundamentals-First-drop-of-videos-now-available-to-the-public

Haven't watched them yet but they might be of help to some people who are just starting out. These seem to be just the beginning of a series of tutorials though.

http://www.blendercookie.com/getting-started-with-blender/

This is where I learned to blend.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH. HELL. YES. Thanks Andy!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    No problem!
    I had the same reaction :D
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    The bevel tool isnt available in 2.5 yet, though they are working on fixing it.
    I think the plan is to implement a bevel in the short term and then rewrite it for BMesh when that eventually gets released.
    There is a bevel in the modifiers though, but its based upon things like edge weight and global angles of the object (all or nothing bevelled)

In what way do you find the modelling tools to be limited? (apart from the bevel :P)

Some of the buttons are hardly visible in the programs, this is kinda confusing for those who just learnt blender. Some tools have to be accessed thru keyboard shortcut. ctrl+tab isnt intuitive, I know it gets the job done, but if you're modeler, you wont' be using left fingers to press that shortcut everytime. It's just ergonomically wrong.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    elte wrote: »
    Some of the buttons are hardly visible in the programs, this is kinda confusing for those who just learnt blender. Some tools have to be accessed thru keyboard shortcut. ctrl+tab isnt intuitive, I know it gets the job done, but if you're modeler, you wont' be using left fingers to press that shortcut everytime. It's just ergonomically wrong.

Hmm. That's not Blenders tools being limited, its just that you are not used to the shortcuts ;)
    Everything in Blender can be accessed via menus or buttons afaik. In your example Weight paint or mesh select mode (Ctrl+Tab and depending on context) can be found in the Mode dropdown or on the mesh mode buttons next to the Transform orientation options, which are both on the 3D View footer. :)
    If you are looking for modelling tools, your best bet is to search the Mesh Tools panel, the Mesh menu or the Special menu (W Key) and often the shortcuts are listed along side the command in the menus.

When using Blender, my fingers are always hovering over the LHS of my keyboard as with those keys (Tab, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, \, Z, A, E, W, R, S, D, X, C, V, B, G) you can pretty much do everything you need :)
    My Thumb is usually swapping between Alt and Space.

Hope that helps :)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    WOW THIS SMOKE SIMULATION STUFF IS AWESOME!

If I could only do one click baking instead of having to play the animation through, however... that'd be nice.

Trying to create a 8 frame looped fire with it is hard.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    I use blender, its actually the only 3D modelling package I use (I use zBrush but thats only sculpting things I have made in blender)
    The only problem I have with it is that its renders are crap when compared to other modelling packages. I've been looking for ways to make the renders look better or some kind of external renderer.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell wrote: »
    I use blender, its actually the only 3D modelling package I use (I use zBrush but thats only sculpting things I have made in blender)
    The only problem I have with it is that its renders are crap when compared to other modelling packages. I've been looking for ways to make the renders look better or some kind of external renderer.

Have you tried the build with Luxrender? www.graphicall.org has all the various builds.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The only problem I have with it is that its renders are crap when compared to other modelling packages.

Well, did you research and study lightning and composition first ?
  • Dim
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a pretty great teaser trailer for the rigging DVD.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Are there Quad-Menu's in Blender like in 3DS Max?
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Not exactly. There is a spacebar menu (activated with an included add on) that is similar, but they are very different packages, and Blender has a different workflow and UI paradigm.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    quad menu is useful. i modified mine so that it contains primitives as well.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    dejawolf: Could you expand on what you said a bit? Do you mean you have a quad menu in Blender that you've modified?(the spacebar menu already creates primitives...) Are you saying quad menus are just generally useful, or specifically in Blender (or Max)?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Quad Menu's because they're the easiest to manage, press a key combo, pop up a floating menu and insert as many things are you need under it.

For example: Under Ctrl + R I have all my render and special shader settings nick-nacks, while under Ctrl + X I have a more streamlined version of Max's connect, loop, etc command, so it's all a matter of making things quicker select.

So I'm guessing Space Bar + Letter will get me where I need to be?
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Not exactly, but what you're describing is kind of the way Blender works by default. So for example, edge operators are found at ctrl+e, face at ctrl+f, and verts at ctrl+v. W is your general specials, shift+a adds primatives, etc.

Apart from that is the Dynamic Spacebar Menu which changes based on context.

show.php?id=13580

Honestly though, you'll get the most out of Blender by not using menus at all. The program is designed to be very hotkey driven, and you will be MUCH faster if you learn those keys and use them. Blender can be an incredibly fast modeler, but you definitely can't treat it like Max or Maya and use the same workflow. It is very different from both of them.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, hold you horses....

You can do a Search in Blender?!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Video showing basic sculpting in Blender. Not tried it myself yet but the tools are looking pretty good.

http://www.blendernation.com/2011/06/08/basic-sculpting-in-blender-2-5/#more-21048
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Yup, just press Spacebar. Has all the hot keys listed, and there's a tooltip on mouseover.
    show.php?id=13581
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOLY FUCK!

I had to download a script for that for Max...this makes finding stuff alot easier, thanks, much appreciated.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    HOLY FUCK!

I had to download a script for that for Max...this makes finding stuff alot easier, thanks, much appreciated.

Yes, it's very nice and if you enable the included plugin: Dynamic Spacebar Menu, you can access all the most common mesh editing tools by hitting the spacebar. Although, like Dim said, it's hotkey driven and you'll work much faster if you take that workflow than the point and click method that max and maya use. I moved to this from Max and I shudder to think of using Max at all anymore. Thankfully, I only have a student license of Max.

You get very hotkey centric after using blender for awhile too, I find myself trying to delete items in other software by pressing X lol! But it's sooo much faster than clicking buttons every time you want to change from move to rotate, to scale, to scale on normals, loop cut, or to edge slide. The selection tools can be a bit foreign at first too. You right click to select and if you hold alt as well, it will select the loop it's connected to. I can't imagine myself using any other software package for modeling, but it can do compositing, sculpting, and it's also a game engine. If they could integrate GIMP into blender, it'd be a one stop game artist's tool for free!

Ok, enough of me bragging about my favorite 3D tool... :)
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    I first tried Blender a year ago when I knew nothing about 3d. It was an unpleasant experience.

I just downloaded 2.57 now and woah it looks pretty sexy.

I'm considering learning it for three things: animation, sculpting and painting. (been planning on purchasing a modo 501 license when I get paid from my current project so everything else is covered) Anybody here use those features regularly?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a question, do max and maya truly have a point and click workflow to them ? that just kindof boggles my mind to a certain degree..

it seems so .. slow ? also i thought max and maya had shortcut keys for everything just like blender
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No they're not, they can do shortcuts. It's just that the click and point options are much more open if a user wishes. They do have shortcuts, it's just that Blender is Shortcut intensive from the get-go.

Also, don't take my opinion on this, but personally, every Autodesk product has horrible shortcuts. If they expect me to keep on pressing Ctrl and Alt while stretching my hands to the 1, 2 and 3 numbers while executing Q, E, R, they'll have to pay for my wanking wrist if they want me to keep on using their products, that is why many users fall back to custom hotkeys and even scripts to speed up workflow, although again...Autodesk products have horrible issues when a user brings their own Menu's and GUP's to another workstation...gah.

Let me put it this way, for 3DS Max, when a user starts, it pretty simple to understand that you need to click on the Material Editor, then click on the Diffuse Map, then click on the Slot, then click in the Bitmap option, then select the texture and confirm. It took me about a day tops to learn everything about Max's Material Editor and after that, learn the shortcut.

In Blender...well...lets just say it took me about a day to learn HOW to get to the editor, this was as of version 2.49, this most likely improved stuff and made it more user friendly, and while from the looks of it everything still isn't available menu wise, the use of a Search function helps newbies come to terms with tools till they learn the stuff more in depth.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That said, Blender does not have bmesh or ngons, yet. Once that happens, I will be incredibly turned off to using other software.

I don't find it restrictive that it lacks bmesh or ngons. Quite the contrary, I find it helps me maintain proper topology.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    @Super Happy Cow: I agree with you about the shortcuts, but there's definitely some inconsistency in Blender too (some weird shortcuts like ctrl+alt+shift+c, and some inconsistent things like unwrapping in the 3D view with u, but unwrapping in the UV editor with e, or using ctrl+shift+tab in the 3D view, but not being able to use it in the UV editor). I agree with you that it's definitely better, but let's not whitewash it :P

@greevar: I'm not sure I completely agree with you. Certainly, ngons definitely tend to produce messier meshes if you aren't careful (some of the meshes I deal with at work are horribly mangled), but using ngons in a lot of cases is really fast compared to not having them, particularly when dealing with any arbitrary forms or geometry. Also, on my highpoly meshes I'd kill for ngons since my cleanliness matters little in many cases.