Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Andreas wrote: »
    Works pretty well :) Would be good if it had a button to make freeze the reference image though...

In the outliner, click the mouse icon next to the empty. It's now non-selectable.

Edit: You beat me to it fly!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Been using Blender for so long, still so much to learn though :D Cause it keeps adapting I guess.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Well, im impressed!

Since the devs. implemented the new tangent basis, i though i would do a little test to see what everything looked like. It seems they managed to match to the GLSL shader, Baker and the Rendering engine 100%

To illustrate how you can use one smoothing group (if the the Tangent basis of the Baker matches the engine), see below :)

Top row is HP, bottom is LP

No tricks, i promise :)

tangent_space_blender.jpg
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that is one clean bake! I couldn't tell the hipoly from the lowpoly if you didn't provide a wireframe.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna try and bake some materials down... always wanted to be able to do that. Experiment time! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEHE_LIIvM&hd=1[/ame]

There's going to be a free version of this with restrictions, but I'd really like to see see Blender have this functionality... it's really missing a good, integrated crowd simulator.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    greevar wrote: »
    Damn, that is one clean bake! I couldn't tell the hipoly from the lowpoly if you didn't provide a wireframe.

Thanks!

I must admit, i was pretty pleased with the results :)
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    metalliandy, thats pretty awesome, is that the new 2.58 build?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah nice bakes, I was fiddling with normal maps earlier and it's no joke getting them to come out so clean without a cage. Coupled with the fact that the obj exporter in 2.58 still seems to mess up the vertex order, at least according to XNormal.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I've been messing around with 2.5+ for a while and actually really liking it. I keep, sometimes getting an error when I bake where it says 'No objects or images found to bake to' and I can't work out what I'm doing to break or fix it. Any ideas?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    HAL wrote: »
    metalliandy, thats pretty awesome, is that the new 2.58 build?
    Yea, that was all 2.58, with the ray distance and bias set to 0. :)
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Yeah nice bakes, I was fiddling with normal maps earlier and it's no joke getting them to come out so clean without a cage. Coupled with the fact that the obj exporter in 2.58 still seems to mess up the vertex order, at least according to XNormal.
    Do you get an error message, or is this something you have noticed?
    Frankie wrote: »
    I've been messing around with 2.5+ for a while and actually really liking it. I keep, sometimes getting an error when I bake where it says 'No objects or images found to bake to' and I can't work out what I'm doing to break or fix it. Any ideas?
    That means that you dont have an image assigned to the object you are trying to bake to.
    Make sure you assign a new image to your LP while it is in edit mode. Then select the HP and shift select the LP and hit bake. :)
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10

Honestly, I just export the cage from Maya and use that and the .obj from Blender, until we get something better.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That means that you dont have an image assigned to the object you are trying to bake to.
    Make sure you assign a new image to your LP while it is in edit mode. Then select the HP and shift select the LP and hit bake.

Thanks :D maybe I wasn't in edit mode when I did it or I was doing something to the object that took it out occasionally.

Whats going wrong without having a cage?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    When you are using a set ray distance, its will use those values even if they are not suitable for some parts of your mesh (bad for fingers vs perfect for a head etc.)
    Using a cage allows you to set, and control, the perfect ray distance and direction for all parts of your mesh, so you get much cleaner bakes :)

Using uniform ray distances can cause the rays to miss parts of the HP mesh when baking which, in turn, causes things like seams and other errors in the normal map.

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?highlight=%28\bCategoryTexturing\b%29#Working_with_Cages

Basically, cages result in a more accurate bake and are a faster method to get consistently solid results. :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yeah I get the cage principle but some cases it's probably ok just to separate them. Although like you said handy for fingers.

Another question.. I don't know if this is going to make sense but I'm getting the lo poly model showing up in the bake. I'm trying to bake cross sections though an object and get all the information there, so the end result would be like an MRI scan. When I make the object transparent in the material or hide it from the outliner I get the no image error from before :(

edit: so the question is, whats the best way to get the low poly mesh out of the bake?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post some pics?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sure, this is the simplest form for testing, not what I'm actually baking in the end but it's the same problem.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1693140/blender.jpg

I want to get the texture of the sphere without the plane in it to get a proper alpha. I made the plane purple so you can obvously see it appearing in the bake at the bottom....

thanks for taking the time to help :D
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    In this case, i would make the Sphere a separate object and move the plane above it. I would then select the sphere, shift click the Plane and bake.

Is that what you mean?

*edit*

It seems like Blender wont make an alpha for this if you bake like that :/
    As a work around, give the Sphere a diffuse colour of Black and bake "textures". You can then invert it or whatever you need :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm no not really, the purple plane is what I want to bake from and the sphere is already a separate object, so I need the plane not to show up in the render and then I'll get the sphere shape in the alpha... Not sure if I'm being clear?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    i made an edit to my post, just before you replied. :P

It seems like Blender wont make an alpha for this if you bake like that :/
    As a work around, give the Sphere a diffuse colour of Black and bake "textures". You can then invert it or whatever you need :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh well man thanks for trying it.

HMMMMM actually if I set my alpha of the material to 0.001 it comes out good enough for me....
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    They still haven't fixed the freaking horizontal panel bug where if your panel is pre-2.5 style (like when you get when you open an old file), then go to the modifiers tab then add a modifier then the fonts and scaling all go to hell.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    thx! then I ned to give 2.58 a try ;)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    leilei wrote: »
    They still haven't fixed the freaking horizontal panel bug where if your panel is pre-2.5 style (like when you get when you open an old file), then go to the modifiers tab then add a modifier then the fonts and scaling all go to hell.
    I didnt realise there was bug with that :(

You prob. know this, but if you open a .blend through the file menu, you can uncheck "Load UI" which will keep your default 2.5x theme. :)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender would do well to have a standard IK rig.

I can set up decent IK on an already completed rig in about 15 minutes, but it'd be nice to have an easy, standard one like Max. : O

Take a look at rigify, its pretty cool. Some youtube tutorials on how it works and it comes with 2.5+ in the plugins menu.

edit: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUSyoO2BmaQ[/ame]
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metalandy, what do you think of this picture?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1693140/blender2.jpg

I haven't actually got the normal baking to work, nothing happens when I select normal's from the option, but I'm not actually using normals at the moment so haven't looked into further.

Anway, the diagram shows that the rays terminate on the first poly it hits going outwards (green x) rather than the last one(red x). Meaning that you get the backside of any floating or overlapping details you attach.... Sounds a bit of a downer on the baking tools.

Again the pluple/red poly is casting and the baked image is at the bottom.

edit: I got normal map baking working and it does the same thing.

From what I remember it would be better if the tool actually traced back towards into the model from the max distance and then terminated on the first point it hit.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like the title of this thread... Blender is kicking ass, the thread title makes it sound like its trying to be as good as Max and Maya etc. but in a few ways it surpasses them. Should be renamed just 'Blender'.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @Frankie,
    You need to move the LP plane above any objects you wish to bake onto it :)
    Is this what you want to achieve?
    Blender_Bake.jpg
    Andreas wrote: »
    I don't like the title of this thread... Blender is kicking ass, the thread title makes it sound like its trying to be as good as Max and Maya etc. but in a few ways it surpasses them. Should be renamed just 'Blender'.

I think a thread renaming is in order now too...It's more of a generic Blender thread now :)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I vote to call it the "All things Blender" thread.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    We should call it "Much Ado about Blender"...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Ace.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i'd vote "Blender sucks, hopeless, can not compete" just for the sensationalism upon the infamous global impatience for the hotkey-driven learning curve.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    LeiLei, you're one bitter ghost mate, should I recommend some Beetle-Juice?

Get it? Beetle Juice? Because your avatar is a Ghost? Beetle Juice was a movie with such ethereal based stuff? So you drink it? Get it? Anyone? No? Yes? No? No?

I'm just looking for some love!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    i'd vote "Blender sucks, hopeless, can not compete" just for the sensationalism upon the infamous global impatience for the hotkey-driven learning curve.

Is that some reverse psychology I detect; to get the Blender haters to come to this thread so they can find out how awesome it is?

Beatlegeuse is the ghost with the most! Beatlegeuse! Beatlegeuse! Beatlegeuse!
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can attest to the utter awesomeness of rigify it is absolutely perfect and easy and awesome and one of the best scripts released in recent memory.

for 99 percent of rigging purposes rigify will do the trick.

i mean it works with the default humanoid rig that comes installed with blender and once you learn about its tagging system you can do just about any kindof rig you want, you can also add new types of rigs to it so that 1 percent of rigs you cant do you can easily add into it if i recall.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Frankie,
    You need to move the LP plane above any objects you wish to bake onto it
    Is this what you want to achieve?

No not really, the point applies to all baking so when you are baking a proper low poly mesh you will miss the details like the ball as you cannot move it mesh in that case.

The box, ball and plane are the simplest test but in a real example there could be something like a rivet or bolt on top of a small box on top of the high poly base that would get missed.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    No not really, the point applies to all baking so when you are baking a proper low poly mesh you will miss the details like the ball as you cannot move it mesh in that case.

The box, ball and plane are the simplest test but in a real example there could be something like a rivet or bolt on top of a small box on top of the high poly base that would get missed.

It's perfectly possible to bake floaters that are outside the LP :)

Depending on the asset, there are different ways you should set up your bake.
    When you are baking objects like floaters onto a plane, the easiest way is to move the object you are baking onto, to be above the objects you want to bake. This works 99% of the time with just a default bake.

floaters.jpg

Any objects that are directly below the first mesh that the rays hit are occluded and not shown on the normal map

floaters2.jpg

For things that are more complicated, like a regular LP asset, you just need to tweak the Distance and bias by small amount.
    In the example below, the slot is outside the LP mesh but the rays are projected to the correct length because the Bias and Distance are set correctly. The value i used for it are Distance =0.200 Bias =0.100

Bake_test_3.jpg

Bake_test.jpg

Bake_test_2.jpg
    Hope that helps :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

floaters.jpg

What kind of voodoo be this WHERE BE THE MONKEYS????

;)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the examples but I'm not really asking for help on this one, unless I'm really mistaken there no way it will bake properly with complicated low to high poly objects. But yeah, I could kind of do a work around with my plane example.

Although maybe I'm missunderstanding what bias does.... It helps a little in tests.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Should we break this off into another thread? This one's become a bit bloated, and the current topic has little to do with the original.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    thanks for the examples but I'm not really asking for help on this one, unless I'm really mistaken there no way it will bake properly with complicated low to high poly objects. But yeah, I could kind of do a work around with my plane example.

Although maybe I'm missunderstanding what bias does.... It helps a little in tests.

While baking with cages would be ideal (and i still use xnormal, because of this and its speed), you can still get some pretty decent results without them.
    I did a bake test with (Distance 0.00, Bias 0.010). There are a few errors, but it certainly does very well. :)

Eat3d_Bake.jpg
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice model and bake, although I'm not sure if it has the situation I was trying to describe appearing in that example. Like Dim said maybe I shouldn't keep posting in this thread so I'll post or message you when I need to bake a model that isn't just from a plane.

In the mean time, maybe this info of a possible shortfall will help anyone who's missing multiple layers of info from bakes.

The strange thing in all this is the bias and I can't quite work out what it's doing.

edit: I mean't to ask did you sculpt it in blender?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Nice model and bake, although I'm not sure if it has the situation I was trying to describe appearing in that example. Like Dim said maybe I shouldn't keep posting in this thread so I'll post or message you when I need to bake a model that isn't just from a plane.

In the mean time, maybe this info of a possible shortfall will help anyone who's missing multiple layers of info from bakes.

The strange thing in all this is the bias and I can't quite work out what it's doing.

edit: I mean't to ask did you sculpt it in blender?

I didnt sculpt or create the model. It's from this tutorial from Eat3d. :)

I like this has become a super thread for Blender tbh, and i prefer to have everything in on place, rather than having loads of smaller threads. Currently i see this thread as a kind of sound board for Blender related goodies.
    I dont think its so way off topic though, as apart from the odd small derailing, it still about new projects, features and how Blender is upping its game and competing with the big apps.

About the baker...Distance controls the maximum distance that the LP and HP meshes are away from each other and Bias sets a bias toward objects that are further away.

*edit* w00t! 1024 posts ftw ;)
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah it's a cool thread. If you were going to post one more thing to help it would be a diagram of what bias does... (the text dosen't mean anythign to me) because I'm thinking it just chooses the start of the ray but when I test it's doing something else .
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Sure, no problem :)

If anything doesn't make sense, I will try my best to explain further.

bias_2.jpg

Bias.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That's a great diagram :)

About the vertex order changing- it's an error message I get in XNormal. I even get a different vertex order change on shape keys of the low-poly mesh with the verts slightly pushed out. The only time the order matches up exactly is when the cage's vert positions are completely identical, which really is of no use to me...

So you mentioned you do your bakes in Xnormal, any hints as to what I might be doing wrong?
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, no problem

If anything doesn't make sense, I will try my best to explain further.

Thanks! That pretty much shows I was wrong and the bias does fix the problem!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator

About the vertex order changing- it's an error message I get in XNormal. I even get a different vertex order change on shape keys of the low-poly mesh with the verts slightly pushed out. The only time the order matches up exactly is when the cage's vert positions are completely identical, which really is of no use to me...

So you mentioned you do your bakes in Xnormal, any hints as to what I might be doing wrong?

I have been having problems with xNormal throwing up errors too. I'm thinking that its possible a bug as the vert. index error even pops up if you use the unchanged LP mesh as the cage in xNormal 3.17.5, but everything works ok in 3.17.0.
    I just did some tests with 2.49b, and i get the same results. 2.49b had a rock solid obj exporter, so im not sure what is going on.

I will report this as a bug and see what Jogshy says.

As for a work around, im currently making cages with xNormal's 3d viewer, so maybe that is worth a shot? The only issue is that, if you have smoothing groups, it splits the cage.
    It may also be worth rolling back to an earlier version of xNormal for a while.

*EDIT* it looks like the issue has been reported by other people too and they are having problems with the newer version.
    http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/xnormal-cage-error

Thanks! That pretty much shows I was wrong and the bias does fix the problem!

No problem :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator

Jogshy figured out what the issue was. If you disable the "shortest diagonal" in the default triangulator (via the plugin manager) it fixes the cage problem :)