Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ComfyCushion
    I love the blue leather. I say this one for Blu and the second one on the previous page for Red.
  • SeriousStones
    I made an account just so I could reply to this thread (though I do have a nifty flamethrower idea bouncing around in my head, so it may come in handy later), gotta say, really love that gunslinger. But really, the only way to do justice to that awesome hand is to make a clockwork sentry to go with it!
  • Arcaltarion
    EVERYTHING SIDE BY SIDE

2zqd0fc.jpg

(and later or tomorrow we'll talk about team colored golden parts)

Edit: because the RED one hadn't the right colors
  • Cronotic
    EVERYTHING SIDE BY SIDE

2zqd0fc.jpg

(and later or tomorrow we'll talk about team colored golden parts)

Edit: because the RED one hadn't the right colors

I like the neutral bluish and neutral redish version
  • PolyCracker
    Do we have to triangulate the models before submission?
  • fusedgore
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    What about copyrights as well on things to .Can we remake things but still look the same .
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9

When you import anything into Source it's automatically triangulated, so no if your model is all tris and quads. If you're still worried about that though, just convert your model to editable patch and back to editable poly and it'll be triangulated, assuming you use 3DS.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    some progress...made stuff more logical, some chamfers. Getting slightly close to the final shape.heavy_chainzaw_da_9.jpg
  • Jedah
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8

No but I would triangulate it anyways if I were you. Automatic Triangulation can occasionally cause odd shading issues with quads that are shaped obscurely. You may need to flip the Tris on some faces to fix this.
  • Just a Gigolo
    Noors wrote: »
    some progress...made stuff more logical, some chamfers. Getting slightly close to the final shape.heavy_chainzaw_da_9.jpg

Awesome job.

If that's the colors you're going with, might I suggest using colors that make it look more like a real chainsaw, and not a toy.

Also, blood on the blades would be awesome.
  • Gobywan
    Hello everyone, I have a hat for you! Unfortunately, I also have a problem.

The hat is made out of steam locomotive parts (steam dome and cowcatcher) - it's tentatively called the Cowcatcher until I think of a better name or something to go before it (Conductor's Cowcatcher?) It's part of a steam train-based set that I'm currently making - the melee weapon is almost done being UVed, and the flamethrower is still in the concept phase. (I know there was a guy who drew up his own train-flamer concept in this thread, a couple of days after I came up with my set idea - I'm going to try not to rip off his design, mostly by not going back and looking at his design :poly124:)

Known issues: It's too small, I'm going to re-export it so it doesn't clip; the number plate is jagged and weird, I'm going to resize it in the UVs and throw a subtle normal map on it; there's a stupid edge glow thing happening, you can see it in the pictures.

Here's the hat:
    161lwfb.png
    i3gb2c.png
    jacsio.png

And here's the problem, which is fairly obvious already:
    oko8ec.png
    2yufygi.png

I don't know where that weird sorta-specular-looking white blobby edge glow is coming from. It's not on the specular map, and it doesn't change even when I move the light around to the back of the model in HLMV. Is it rim lighting gone insane, maybe? I'm just using the .VMT for the Attendant with some slightly tweaked phong numbers, but nothing I do to those numbers alters the stupid glow thing, and the Attendant itself has no such problems in HLMV. Anyone know what's wrong here?
  • RedSheep
    Gobywan wrote: »

The hat is made out of steam locomotive parts (steam dome and cowcatcher) - it's tentatively called the Cowcatcher until I think of a better name or something to go before it (Conductor's Cowcatcher?) It's part of a steam train-based set that I'm currently making - the melee weapon is almost done being UVed, and the flamethrower is still in the concept phase. (I know there was a guy who drew up his own train-flamer concept in this thread, a couple of days after I came up with my set idea - I'm going to try not to rip off his design, mostly by not going back and looking at his design :poly124:)

That's a pretty cool hat, nice name and reference too (It is alluding to Fahrenheit 451 right? either that or an incredibly coincidental set of numbers :) ). I was the one that drew a design but it was bad :P But if you want to copy parts of it that's be cool. I actually re did the design but haven't posted it, because there has been no need.
  • ThePowerPlumber
    Gobywan wrote: »

Well here's your problem! The Pyro has too many hats already!

Dohoho but seriously thats a very unique and interesting hat!

And it isn't another "derp put random objects on Pyro's head cuz its crazy" hat, which is good!
  • Gobywan
    RedSheep wrote: »
    That's a pretty cool hat, nice name and reference too (It is alluding to Fahrenheit 451 right? either that or an incredibly coincidental set of numbers :) ). I was the one that drew a design but it was bad :P But if you want to copy parts of it that's be cool. I actually re did the design but haven't posted it, because there has been no need.

It's definitely a Fahrenheit 451 reference, I was surprised that nobody had done one yet (at least that I've seen) :) I liked the painted number-plates on a bunch of locomotives I used for reference, and then the number to use was obvious :poly124:

I've narrowed down that weird glow thing - it's definitely rim lighting going a bit nuts, and I think it's because that edge that it's happening next to is just a single edge with nothing on the other side. I joined the visor bit to the helmet bit just by merging the vertices along that one edge, but it seems like that was a bad idea; I'm going to try both detaching the two pieces entirely and putting a face behind that edge, and I'll see if either of those work. This is one of my first models ever, for TF2 or otherwise, so I'm still figuring out how to make things that aren't broken :poly124:
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    @Just a Gigolo, colors are temp =)
    @Gobywan : Isn't it just a problem of smoothing group ? You maybe have to split the uv there too.
  • Arcaltarion
    thanks for the feedback cronotic, what the rest of you guys think about the colors?
  • dire_luck
    thanks for the feedback cronotic, what the rest of you guys think about the colors?

I like the team colored-ish version, but I think the key should have a diffrent color for red because the silver is more of a blue team color.
  • Arcaltarion
    maybe you are right, however for now I'm focusing on the leather parts, later I'm going to test metal parts
  • treythepunkid
  • Arcaltarion
    I love it, and I'm assuming you are not going to leave it all white.
    however, I don't know how valve would implement that, too big for a Misc item, to... weird for a weapon
    Edit: maybe you can make it a replacement for the medigun backpack
  • Sharkisss
    What files do i need to submit an item. Obj, vmt,vtf and ?
  • Arcaltarion
    I think the QC is required if you added jigglebones and other stuff. And instead of an OBJ I think you can submit a SMD
  • Gobywan
    Noors wrote: »
    @Just a Gigolo, colors are temp =)
    @Gobywan : Isn't it just a problem of smoothing group ? You maybe have to split the uv there too.

I've got that edge set to sharp, with the EdgeSplit modifier on the whole object (using Blender), and the UV is split along that edge as well. What sort of smoothing group problem is this, usually? Like I said, I'm very new at this, so I haven't figured out all the ways to screw up yet :poly124:
  • Arcaltarion
    Reduced the worldmodel texture from 1024 to 512

I know you'll never see the model this close, but I'm wondering if I should send a 1024 world texture and let valve choose if they want to resize it or not.

In the pic a comparison:

r8uwhx.jpg
  • Terzalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Terzalo polycounter lvl 8
    Sharkisss wrote: »
    What files do i need to submit an item. Obj, vmt,vtf and ?

Contribute page says you must include original TGA or PSD texture and VMT is required too if you have custom shaders.

As Arcaltarion said, you must include QC if you have some custom commands in it..
    But about model - I think it's better to include both OBJ and SMD.
  • fusedgore
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    Has anyone tried submitting anything yet .If so what happened.
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Terzalo wrote: »
    Contribute page says you must include original TGA or PSD texture and VMT is required too if you have custom shaders.

As Arcaltarion said, you must include QC if you have some custom commands in it..
    But about model - I think it's better to include both OBJ and SMD.

Yeah, but it is very stupid to demand all the source files in two zip under 2mb. :poly127:
    And I'll never know if my contribution upload have worked because I never see any succes page. Damn contribution page §
  • JZeeba
    And it isn't another "derp put random objects on Pyro's head cuz its crazy" hat, which is good!

I'll jump in the "derp put random objects on Pyro's head cuz its crazy" hat wagon with this one! :poly124:

ingame.png

JZ
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Gobywan smoothing groups are the 3ds max equivalent of your EdgeSplit modifier (i guess). Sorry i don't use blender so i can't help further :/
  • ColonelBD
    Jzeeba: Uhhhhhh, what is that? Looks like a cross between a snake and a beehive.

Anyway I was going to upload some images but photobuckets down, so that fails :poly127:.

I just had an idea about the name, do you think that Overdose or Uberdose sounds better? Its just something I came up with about a minute ago.

And yes Gobywan, if you want smoothing groups in blender you use edge split. You can either do it by angle or by setting sharp edges (ctrl E). Just remeber to duplicate the model before you split, as its a real pain to edit if you don't, I learned that the hard way.
  • Arcaltarion
    One question about texture compression...
    What is the difference between save a TGA with 32 bit/pixel or save it with 16 bit/pixel and compressed?
    the main difference between them is the size, 4 MB vs 500 K. is there a quality loss that I'm not noticing?
  • NeoDement
    32 bit maintains the alpha channel, compression just makes it smaller
  • Arcaltarion
    NeoDement wrote: »
    32 bit maintains the alpha channel, compression just makes it smaller
    thank, what are the compression types you guys usually use when uploading the different textures and maps?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- wrote: »
    Yeah, but it is very stupid to demand all the source files in two zip under 2mb. :poly127:
    And I'll never know if my contribution upload have worked because I never see any succes page. Damn contribution page §

First of all, you don't have to include the source files. Technically all you have to submit is an OBJ and a TGA, and QC and VMT if you have shaders/jigglers. You definitely shouldn't hit the limit including those 4 files.

Second of all, I've included OBJ, QC, SMD, MDL, VTX, PHYS, etc files and TGA, PSD, VMT and VTF files in every submission I've done, even the ones for every class which means 9 unique SMD and MDL files. I've never had a problem staying under the 2mb in my zip files.

If you're going over, I'm guessing it's from your .PSD in your materials zip.

Not trying to bash on you, just saying that you shouldn't be having issues with it.

Also I know why you're not getting the success page. When it you click Submit, it will go to a screen that says to put in your Steam Community page again. Put it in again and click okay. Then you'll get the success page. If you don't get a success page from that, then your ZIP files are over the filesize limit and you need to slim them down a bit.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    @JZeeba, that's a cool hat. Can't believe no one has done that yet. I like the effect you got on the honey.

@Bretmcnee, I don't recall seeing a dunce cap in this thread and I've been following it since page 1. I think it'd work as an all-class hat but if you had to choose one I'd say Pyro or Heavy, although the Pyro comes off as being stupid more because of the "derp put random objects on Pyro's head cuz its crazy" wagon.
  • ThePowerPlumber
    JZeeba wrote: »
    I'll jump in the "derp put random objects on Pyro's head cuz its crazy" hat wagon with this one! :poly124:

ingame.png

JZ

Ahhhhhhh dammit XD. Well, at least this one is interesting, though I would suggest tidying it up a bit. That hole is bothering me for some reason...like it doesnt look like a legit hole on a beehive. Also have you considered Adding a few bees hovering around the hat as an effect? Similar to an unusual hat with flies. Also maybe make the bottom larger so a few honeycombs are visible under the brim?

bretmcnee wrote: »
    Has a dunce cap ever been done? May be funny for the scout or heavy.

I have a feeling if it was submitted for scout or heavy, Valve would put it on the Pyro :\
  • Gobywan
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Jzeeba: Uhhhhhh, what is that? Looks like a cross between a snake and a beehive.

Anyway I was going to upload some images but photobuckets down, so that fails :poly127:.

I just had an idea about the name, do you think that Overdose or Uberdose sounds better? Its just something I came up with about a minute ago.

And yes Gobywan, if you want smoothing groups in blender you use edge split. You can either do it by angle or by setting sharp edges (ctrl E). Just remeber to duplicate the model before you split, as its a real pain to edit if you don't, I learned that the hard way.

I learned that one the hard way as well, but I also learned that if you add the Edge Split modifier without clicking Apply, you can see your sharp edges without actually cutting the model up, and the edges stay sharp when you export to .SMD. As far as I can tell, you never have to actually apply the modifier at all.

I believe I've narrowed the problem down, though: all the vertices along that edge have their normals pointing diagonally up and inwards, which I think is making the rim lighting say "oh, this normal's pointing away from the camera on an angle, it must be the back edge of something!". I don't know how to fix it, though, short of completely changing the geometry of that area and re-doing the UVs and the texture :(
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Also have you considered Adding a few bees hovering around the hat as an effect? Similar to an unusual hat with flies.

I don't think that's a good idea and I doubt Valve would include the particle in with the hat. It would piss off everyone with unusual hats.

Still a bee particle similar to the flies is a good idea. Maybe Valve should make a Particle submission page to get some more unusual effects in. I might e-mail Robin about that.
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Also I know why you're not getting the success page. When it you click Submit, it will go to a screen that says to put in your Steam Community page again. Put it in again and click okay. Then you'll get the success page. If you don't get a success page from that, then your ZIP files are over the filesize limit and you need to slim them down a bit.

Oh ! Thank you !
    I will redo the sumit in a few days so...
    I alway stopped at the submit buton... Shame on me ^^
  • PolyCracker
    ...Similar to an unusual hat with flies....
    Is that a "smelly" hat that someone made already? lol
  • ThePowerPlumber
    I don't think that's a good idea and I doubt Valve would include the particle in with the hat. It would piss off everyone with unusual hats.

Still a bee particle similar to the flies is a good idea. Maybe Valve should make a Particle submission page to get some more unusual effects in. I might e-mail Robin about that.

Really? I mean, I dont think a bee particle would be a good idea for just ANY hat, honestly. It would only be good on this hat. Sort of like how the flies only look good with the plunger.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? I mean, I dont think a bee particle would be a good idea for just ANY hat, honestly. It would only be good on this hat. Sort of like how the flies only look good with the plunger.

You're still able to get the flies on any hat though even though it may look silly. I'm 100% sure that people would get pissed if there's a bee particle similar to flies available on every version of the hat. It nullifies the uniqueness of the particles on unusual hats.
  • Mad Mike
    So, I've been quite ill last week and didn't work on the cart then, but since today I felt a little better, I decided to redo the control panel and I'm quite satisfied with the results. Now, to answer some of the questions asked, for those who didn't follow from the very beginning, the gift wrap is there because it's a Christmas themed cart, it'll feature some other Christmas things as well (lights, stockings) And the control panel controls... well, the fireplace-dispenser and the explosives and the lights and anything else you'd like it to control. Though actually, I put it there to look good and fill up some space.

@Arcaltarion: I totally dig your Goldfinger (yes, that's what I call it, I think it fits), really good quality you've got there. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • ComfyCushion
    okay, I've got a serious issue with my medic mask. The textures on parts of it are appearing on the interior of the objects, and I'm not even getting a texture panel option in my tools. I'm using Blender 2.55.

PPIssue.jpg

What stupid thing have I done to cause this, and how do I fix it? Please don't tell me I have to start over.
  • Jedah
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    ^^^
    Your normals look flipped.

Either:
    Select entire model in face select mode
    CTRL-N ( This recalculates normals )

Or:
    Individual faces that are displaying inside out
    CTRL-F - Flip normals
  • Colossal
    Terzalo wrote: »
    By the way, I don't really get why wheel is sliced. Never seen unicyles like this..

The wheel was replaced by multiple blades. It's not the actual wheel. But the first concept was a normal unicycle with a few broken parts, but it was too much like a hammer than a bladed weapon.
  • Arcaltarion
    hey guys, i'm uploading a video right now, but it will take a while.
    In some maps and under certain lights the hand starts a ugly flickering effect

255ja8l.jpg

At first I thought it happened in areas where elements were intersecting, but it also happens in areas where two parts are close but not touching

hhhhhhhhhhellllllllllllllp

OK, here is the video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZhw0gURPA[/ame]
    there is also noise everywhere due to my crappy compression skills, but the one I'm talking about is the black one that is noticeable in the buttons and the belt

• Shadowplay
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowplay polycounter lvl 13
    I dont know if these pictures are gonna show up since im using dropbox.

Heres my engineer Radar Hat

radar%20head.JPG

radarhead3.JPG

Still not sure what im gonna do about the screen, if i can animate it or i should just place a still image on it.

and then i have the Cornucopia holiday hat i started today

cornu6.JPG

I was originally gonna place fruit pouring out over the brim but that became a collision nightmare so i thought it would prob be better to simplify it anyway
  • JZeeba
    You're still able to get the flies on any hat though even though it may look silly. I'm 100% sure that people would get pissed if there's a bee particle similar to flies available on every version of the hat. It nullifies the uniqueness of the particles on unusual hats.

Yep, I had thought of using particles but someone in another forum told me Valve probably wouldn't accept particles on hats for those same reasons. I had already found the flies particle effect and was playing with the editor to modify it and make it look like bees. I also was planning to modify the dripping jarate effect to make it look like dripping honey...

@ThePowerPlumber
    Yep, that hat needs some more work both on the model and the texture but I haven't figured out exactly what to change so I paused it a bit and started working on another hat.

@ColonelBD
    Yep, it's supposed to be a bee hive, I guess the shape needs more work.
  • nordahl154
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys, i'm uploading a video right now, but it will take a while.
    In some maps and under certain lights the hand starts a ugly flickering effect

255ja8l.jpg

At first I thought it happened in areas where elements were intersecting, but it also happens in areas where two parts are close but not touching

hhhhhhhhhhellllllllllllllp

OK, here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZhw0gURPA
    there is also noise everywhere due to my crappy compression skills, but the one I'm talking about is the black one that is noticeable in the buttons and the belt

Wow that looks really nice :\