Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heinous wrote: »
    I haven't used Steampipe beta sdk, but in the old one, you use load model to load the player model and then load weapon to load any part of your loadout.

I think you just use the original hat's qc to compile a reskin. instead of changing the name, you change the smd file being used. Helljumper's video does it the way you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8

Cool, thanks. I'm having a bit of trouble orientating ti to bip_head. Any tips? I imported the scout smd and it was laying horizontally, I rigged the hat to bip_head and orientated it to fit, bit it shows up in Model Viewer with the model center at bip head, when I thought the center needed to be at (0,0,0). Followed Helljumper's tutorial for that part so that may be out dated now.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ua5hNmM.png

Ah okay, I should find a skin that works with the new Steam pipe and see how they did it.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    A didgeridoo is a solid idea, but it will not really fit with my current set. I think I am going with a halligan to keep the tactical/spec ops feel of the set. Here is my 10 min test model:
    HalliganTest.jpg
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    A didgeridoo is a solid idea, but it will not really fit with my current set. I think I am going with a halligan to keep the tactical/spec ops feel of the set. Here is my 10 min test model:

May I recommend the hat/misc be a pair of night vision goggles?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS98p7mw2Mu682_MKuAIys15Z7h2tIWYfKZXhW8ObKfy98zAfVp
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jukebox wrote: »
    May I recommend the hat/misc be a pair of night vision goggles?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS98p7mw2Mu682_MKuAIys15Z7h2tIWYfKZXhW8ObKfy98zAfVp

I was going to just do a lame boonie hat, but this is a solid idea, maybe I will make a hat, and the nv goggles as a misc
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    @Jukebox: you just have to Apply the rotation (Ctrl + A > rotation in Blender).

And to replace the hat you must match the same name and folder structure than the hat in "team fortress 2 content.gcf" but in the "custom" folder with the extension "vpk", i have written a tutorial:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/828937979093285534/?appid=440
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko wrote: »
    @Jukebox: you just have to Apply the rotation (Ctrl + A > rotation in Blender).

And to replace the hat you must match the same name and folder structure than the hat in "team fortress 2 content.gcf" but in the "custom" folder with the extension "vpk", i have written a tutorial:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/828937979093285534/?appid=440

Thanks, yeah, wasn't sure if it was centering the mesh to the bone or if it was using the center, but I've got it now as far as I know.

I'll certainly be using that, thanks. If the compiled version doesn't have the same number of files for the texture since it's team colored and the hat I'm replacing isn't would that be a problem?

Also, having some sort of problem with itemtest. I load up the itemtest map, go to select my model, navigate to the correct .mdl, but when I open it itemtest doesn't actually open it. It still shows the file path as if I never selected anything. The OK button is grayed out, I can only hit cancel. There's a "R" button which I assume is Reset but it doesn't do anything. I compiled through SDK so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SeithCannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a bit new to the whole 3D modeling thing. (Well I say a bit new I haven't even really started). I have an idea for an item (An engi PDA to be more specific)If someone would be willing to collab with me on this, I would be very thankful. :)
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks. I'm having a bit of trouble orientating ti to bip_head. Any tips? I imported the scout smd and it was laying horizontally, I rigged the hat to bip_head and orientated it to fit, bit it shows up in Model Viewer with the model center at bip head, when I thought the center needed to be at (0,0,0). Followed Helljumper's tutorial for that part so that may be out dated now.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ua5hNmM.png

Ah okay, I should find a skin that works with the new Steam pipe and see how they did it.

are you using blender? ensure your object is at 0,0,0 with no rotation and scaling in object mode. edit the mesh itself to move it.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a bit new to the whole 3D modeling thing. (Well I say a bit new I haven't even really started). I have an idea for an item (An engi PDA to be more specific)If someone would be willing to collab with me on this, I would be very thankful. :)

I wouldn't mind modelling something for you, but that's about all I'm confident with.
    are you using blender? ensure your object is at 0,0,0 with no rotation and scaling in object mode. edit the mesh itself to move it.

Thanks, I've got that figured out now. Still having trouble getting TF2 to recognize the ,mdl in the itemtest map though.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I've got that figured out now. Still having trouble getting TF2 to recognize the ,mdl in the itemtest map though.

What is happening in the test map? Since it is a hat have you tried using the beta import tool?

On a side note I need some opinions on a hat for my markII set. I was going to do a boonie hat, but the sniper already has one. I will be doing some goggles as a misc, so I need a hat to go with it. I was thinking of a tactical helmet, but not sure how I feel about that yet.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is happening in the test map? Since it is a hat have you tried using the beta import tool?

On a side note I need some opinions on a hat for my markII set. I was going to do a boonie hat, but the sniper already has one. I will be doing some goggles as a misc, so I need a hat to go with it. I was thinking of a tactical helmet, but not sure how I feel about that yet.

I will load up itemtest map, bring up the itemtest menu, click on assign Misc(It is a misc). Then, in the Test Headgear menu I click on the Select Model button. I browse to the correct .mdl, select it, hit Open, the file browser will close but the red text where it should show the file path still stays at <none selected>. The Okay button stays grayed out so it isn't just not showing it.

How about a Ghillie hat maybe? Not sure if it fits the theme of your set too well though.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will load up itemtest map, bring up the itemtest menu, click on assign Misc(It is a misc). Then, in the Test Headgear menu I click on the Select Model button. I browse to the correct .mdl, select it, hit Open, the file browser will close but the red text where it should show the file path still stays at <none selected>. The Okay button stays grayed out so it isn't just not showing it.

How about a Ghillie hat maybe? Not sure if it fits the theme of your set too well though.

That is not an error i have come across myself. Since it is a misc it is also supported through the beta import tool, maybe try that as it does some checks on the model. Have you tried adding it as another item such as a hat? I was thinking of a ghillie hat, but that could get out of control fast, and may conflict with doing some nvg's as a misc
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is not an error i have come across myself. Since it is a misc it is also supported through the beta import tool, maybe try that as it does some checks on the model. Have you tried adding it as another item such as a hat? I was thinking of a ghillie hat, but that could get out of control fast, and may conflict with doing some nvg's as a misc

I thought the Beta Import tool was only to submit stuff to the Workshop? I want to refine my item more, but I want to be able to see how it looks in game first. Does the beta import tools let you do that? Just tried it as a hat and the same thing happened.

Posted a thread in the Steam forums and someone said to try Source Filmmaker. Anybody use that and know how it works?

Hmm, don't have any other idea off the top of my head, I'll try to think of some stuff.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the Beta Import tool was only to submit stuff to the Workshop? I want to refine my item more, but I want to be able to see how it looks in game first. Does the beta import tools let you do that? Just tried it as a hat and the same thing happened.

Posted a thread in the Steam forums and someone said to try Source Filmmaker. Anybody use that and know how it works?

Hmm, don't have any other idea off the top of my head, I'll try to think of some stuff.

I have not use the import tool yet, but plan to do so with my hat and misc. From my understanding of it it will allow you to test the item and see it before publishing it, but thats just my understanding of it. I have used filmmaker to compile and use the model viewer, but have not used it to test items. My guess is something did not compile correctly, did you write the .qc by hand or ref an existing one?

So i decided why the hell not and submitted my other melee item, the community can decide which one they like better, thats the point :poly142:

Waste not, want not

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146646094
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not use the import tool yet, but plan to do so with my hat and misc. From my understanding of it it will allow you to test the item and see it before publishing it, but thats just my understanding of it. I have used filmmaker to compile and use the model viewer, but have not used it to test items. My guess is something did not compile correctly, did you write the .qc by hand or ref an existing one?

So i decided why the hell not and submitted my other melee item, the community can decide which one they like better, thats the point :poly142:

Waste not, want not

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146646094

So, I loaded stuff up in the Beta Import Tools, but couldn't get to the viewer. It gave me some errors when it tried to compile.
    ERROR: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\jakejakeubowski\sourcesdk_content\tf\models\workshop\player\items\scout\masked_mann_preview1\masked_mann_preview1.qc(39): - could not load file 'MaskedMann.dmx'
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'player/items/scout/0x0505f1af/maskedmann/MaskedMann.mdl'
    WARNING: Leaking 1 elements
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\models\workshop\player\items\scout\masked_mann_preview1\masked_mann_preview1.mdl
    WARNING: CTargetZIP::Compile - Target 3 Compile Failed

I used the .qc file that SDK made for me when it compiled.
    SDKqc wrote:
    //
    // TODO: parts/dmx ?
    // TODO: $surfaceprop is hardcoded
    // TODO: Is .mdl extension required?
    //

$upaxis Y
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $modelname "player/items/scout/0x0505f1af/maskedmann/MaskedMann.mdl"
    //
    // TODO: Can fps 30 be removed?
    //

$body body "MaskedMann.dmx"
    $sequence idle "MaskedMann.dmx" fps 30

$cdmaterials "models\player\items\scout\0x0505f1af\MaskedMann"
    $texturegroup "skins"
    {
    { "MaskedMann_red" }
    { "MaskedMann_blue" }
    }

$collisionmodel "MaskedMann.dmx" {
    $automass
    }

//
    // TODO: FIXME, switchvalue is just LOD * 6
    // 2959 : itemtest.cpp
    //

$lod 6
    {
    replacemodel "MaskedMann.dmx" "MaskedMann_lod1.dmx"
    }

It looks pretty weird to me, a lot of comments that confuse me as to why they're there. Not sure what's up.

Personally I like the second melee one better, the first one just didn't look appealing to me as a weapon I guess.
  • Linko
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I loaded stuff up in the Beta Import Tools, but couldn't get to the viewer. It gave me some errors when it tried to compile.

I used the .qc file that SDK made for me when it compiled.

It looks pretty weird to me, a lot of comments that confuse me as to why they're there. Not sure what's up.

Personally I like the second melee one better, the first one just didn't look appealing to me as a weapon I guess.

Yeah that QC looks pretty gross, but very basic at the same time. Have you tried decompiling a similar model and looking at it's QC file? I have gotten the error about leaking before, and in all of my cases with that it had to do with the fact that I did not have an actual material applied to my model on export. I use smd's so I am not sure if the .dmx is the same. After I export my model I need to edit it in NotePad++ to rename the assigned material to the name of my .vmt file. Once I get home I could probably make a quick sample QC for you to try
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that QC looks pretty gross, but very basic at the same time. Have you tried decompiling a similar model and looking at it's QC file? I have gotten the error about leaking before, and in all of my cases with that it had to do with the fact that I did not have an actual material applied to my model on export. I use smd's so I am not sure if the .dmx is the same. After I export my model I need to edit it in NotePad++ to rename the assigned material to the name of my .vmt file. Once I get home I could probably make a quick sample QC for you to try

I have, I've looked at a couple different ones but can't make too much sense of them. Does anybody know what the name of the Front Runner game files is? I can't seem to find it to decompile, it's the closest to what I want my item to be like. Ah, wasn't aware there had to be a material applied to it. I'll look that up and see what it needs to be. I actually used .obj's, the .dmx was given to the file when SDK itemtest compiled it. Should I make my own .vmt's? I just used the SDK itemtest, supplied the team colored .tga's and let it do the rest.

Would you? I'd really appreciate it, I cannot for the life of me grasp heads or tails of .qc files. I know what the individual lines mean but I don't understand the code form or hierarchy and what not.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this QC file is designed to be used to compile on the command line using the studiomdl.exe. I posted a crash course on doing command line builds a few pages back. The first line you will need to put in the path to where your files are. You will want this QC and your files in the same folder. If you can export from your 3d program export wither the .dmx or .smd files. I personally use .smd files, but thats just me. It also expects to have idle.smd, but you can steal one from a similar model, or just replace the "idle" with your "MaskedMann.dmx". FOr miscs and hats you really want to use the import tool as that is what Valve wants and has a higher acceptance rate than weapons. you should be able to even copy paste parts of this QC into the import tool. If you do not have a material with a texture applied to your model on export that itself could be the issue. This QC will compile to the tf\custom folder, you will need to add the material folder structure after the compile. Here is the QC:
    $cd "C:\Where\Your\Files\Are"
    $modelname "..\custom\MaskedMan\models\player\items\scout\MaskedMann.mdl"
    $model "Body" "MaskedMann.dmx"

$cdmaterials "models\player\items\scout\"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    	{ "MaskedMann_red"  }
    	{ "MaskedMann_blue" }
    }

$hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -4.203  -8.235  -4.564  3.920  1.362  4.910

$surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition -2.268 -0.141 3.555
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00

$lod 12
    {
      replacemodel "MaskedMann.dmx" "MaskedMann_lod1.dmx"
    }

• heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys ever make your own physmodels? if so how? i've always just used an exported one.
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a release

demo_cask_promo1.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys ever make your own physmodels? if so how? i've always just used an exported one.

I am lazy and I just use my LOD_0 as my phys model, seems to work fine for me, and several existing items seem to do the same thing. Making one should just be simple geometry:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Collision_mesh

physmodel.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if it is possible to have $alphatest and the item be paintable? All signs point to no, but it would be awesome if someone could prove me wrong.

playing with some stuff:
    ghillie_2.jpg
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if it is possible to have $alphatest and the item be paintable? All signs point to no, but it would be awesome if someone could prove me wrong.

playing with some stuff:
    ghillie_2.jpg

I've done both, but not together in 1 item. I would first try to put alphatest portions of the model in one smd, and paintable portions in another smd, then have the qc refer to both, each with their own vtf's, and see if that works. However, I'm an idiot, so I imagine it's overkill and an easier method probably exists. :shifty:

It looks like you want a single area to both have alphatest and paintable though. I have no clue about that! :poly136:
  • RIKUSYO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one question. please help.

Item Import Tool can be checking jigglebone?
    I tried adding jigglebone setting in Edit QC.
    but not working jigglebone in preview.
    Do you have any good idea?

Sorry poor Einglish.
    My English skill is low. X(
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done both, but not together in 1 item. I would first try to put alphatest portions of the model in one smd, and paintable portions in another smd, then have the qc refer to both, each with their own vtf's, and see if that works. However, I'm an idiot, so I imagine it's overkill and an easier method probably exists. :shifty:

It looks like you want a single area to both have alphatest and paintable though. I have no clue about that! :poly136:

Yeah I wanted the whole hat paintable, I could use separate materials, but I do not think it is worth the resources, so I painted it kind of digital camo-esque, so that it can be paintable:
    ghillie_3.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    4c742c9fe7.png

Mmm.

Love where this is going! It would be so cool to have a somewhat replacement for the ammo belt
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had to step away from the hat, and come back to it in a bit. The lenses are paintable and self illuminated:
    nvg_wip01.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well first time with the import tool, and it was a pretty decent experience:

Night Sights:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148075187

Bushman's Ghillie:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148064822
  • heinous
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nano393
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a hat for TF2 was wondering if I could get some advice.
    Currently at 800 + polys and not sure where to go from here.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    nano393: nice! The model, the colors, everything fit with TF2. :)

AtomicToyRobot: have you reused a TF2's head? Looks like a super hero mask but the glasses need a lot of refinements. :/
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @linko
    No I boxed modeled it over the soldier head that Valve provides. It is meant to be a soldier class hat.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    A quickie from me. Started out as a test hat for toying with the new importer, but went ahead and decided to upload anyway. Kinda has a Plague Marine meets SMNC feel to it.

gfgkbOJ.jpg

WIxom4h.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1e31e2a1f1.png

Some WIP can o' worms. Jarate style thing.
  • nano393
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nano393 wrote: »
    Ready

This turned out really great, I really like it!

@EArkham I really like this too! Glad you decided to submit it

@SexyRobot It would be cool to see this worked into a cool summer time set

@AtomicToyRobot Do not take this the wrong way, but I feel you need to work on your modeling fundamentals. There is a long road ahead of this being game ready. If you have not done so check out:
    http://www.kritzkast.com/tf2_mod_guide
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kite I don't take offense I'm trying to improve my work so any feedback is appreciated but do you think you'd be able to elaborate where my mistakes are in the work I've presented?
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    nano393: awesome and it's paintable nice!
    Can i add your item in my Mobile Sentry Gun collection, i wanted something to make the engineer more mobile, less dependent of the dispenser.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145012713
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, can you guys help me out? I'm trying to open up Model Viewer but I keep getting this error:

35Mje.png

I've uninstalled, re-installed, fiddled with my files, varified both my SDK and my TF2, and I still get this error.

Halp.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masich wrote: »
    Hey guys, can you guys help me out? I'm trying to open up Model Viewer but I keep getting

I've uninstalled, re-installed, fiddled with my files, varified both my SDK and my TF2, and I still get this error.

Halp.

You need to opt into the beta for the sdk tools. They are seperate now. Once you do this it will install .bat files into common\team fortress 2\ bin. You need to run the set env var bat, then you can launch the hlmv.bat. If the bat files error out, execute them from an elevated command prompt
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kite I don't take offense I'm trying to improve my work so any feedback is appreciated but do you think you'd be able to elaborate where my mistakes are in the work I've presented?

The model justneeds some serious refinement. In most places there is a lack of flow to the edge loops and it will make areas pinch or look sharper than they should be. On this point there are also several loops that are too close together and some that seem to be not needed. If you have not done so already you should find an existing ingame model that is close to what you are trying to make, decompile it, and study it.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PootyforNicky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm new to Polycount, and I'm seeing some amazing stuff in here.

I've got a couple questions, though.

About a year ago, I uploaded a workshop item: a butter knife for the spy.

637x358.resizedimage
    (spy leads to the workshop page)

I left it alone for a while, and recently people have kinda revived it, and it's gaining in popularity, or so the numbers say. (can anyone check to see if it's really on page 3 of the workshop and that it's not just because I made them?) So I decided it needed an update. Looking over what some people said, I went and flipped it, changed the lighting, etc...and put it up.

Solved the question that was previously here

As a separate question, how do you guys get such good textures that look just like others in-game? I can't find the right brush or shading technique or anything. That, and I get creases when I make textures. Help/tips?

Sorry if I sound like I don't know anything - I kinda don't :P
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model justneeds some serious refinement. In most places there is a lack of flow to the edge loops and it will make areas pinch or look sharper than they should be. On this point there are also several loops that are too close together and some that seem to be not needed. If you have not done so already you should find an existing ingame model that is close to what you are trying to make, decompile it, and study it.

Thank you the critique is appreciated, I'll take a look at how others have constructed their work and see how I can apply it to my model. I'm sure you can understand why I asked for a bit more of your opinion on where the issues are. A good critique is the only way I'll be able to improve my work, I know this isn't ready for the work shop. I just really needed some feedback from the community that has been contributing so much to the workshop.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »

Tasty.

Tasty indeed :thumbup: