Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    Hootch's fixed version does not require this change

Does your folder structure you are extracting to exist on the system? If you do not browse to an existing folder it will error and close out.

Working on a smg currently:

Yes, I created a folder specifically for the decompiled models.

I like the model with the ribbed grip better. Almost makes it look like a M16.

Might as well show you guys what I've been working on. I get a bit spread out and work on a bunch of things at one time.

Melee for Sniper I posted earlier. Still don't have a name for it if anyone has any ideas.
    f5gfmN5.png?1

Wrestling Belt for Heavy
    5vbKner.png?1

Gandalf style pipe for Soldier, I have another Wizard style item I want to try to figure out how to do.
    teql8VN.png?1

Mask for Scout, wanted a Zorro/Hamburgular feel. So far I have 2 textures for the team colors, but need to figure out what to do to make it paintable.
    Wp2MBsW.png?1

And a Zorro hat. Looks a little big to me.
    zYGBteX.png?1

Big Red Button Destruction PDA for Engie. Want to make the box case thing opaque.
    e4nOfXw.png?1?3238
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    @jukebox
    Where are you getting the source files from. The error seems to point to a file it expects is missing from the source files. If you have the space you can extract everything from the new vpk's and then just run the mdl through the mdldecompiler as needed. I have not had any issues decompiling from these files.

There are some hints of the M16/4 platform in my smg, also some h&k , and some uzi, and other stuff. pretty much just made it up as I went. The style with the groves in the fore grip is going to have wood furniture, and the other style will be more synthetic looking. Threw it in to see where I need to take it next:
    SmgWip4.jpg

:poly142:
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    kite212: so you have mixed multiples guns? The design is good you should maybe reduce the polycount for the two horizontal cylinders on each side and the grip.

My Sentry Gun is almost done i am doing the image for my Steam Workshop icon:
    compositiondrknwc.png
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko wrote: »
    kite212: so you have mixed multiples guns? The design is good you should maybe reduce the polycount for the two horizontal cylinders on each side and the grip.

My Sentry Gun is almost done i am doing the image for my Steam Workshop icon:
    compositiondrknwc.png

I have no idea how to explain this, but the 3 barrels actually looks more aggressive than the old sentry style barrels, perhaps maybe even too aggressive. The plated skirt looks like it's missing something too, but screw it, all of this is just creativity and opinion related. It looks sleek.

Although you should probably not show it about to get sapped if you are trying to promote it :poly124:
  • kite212
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jukebox
    Where are you getting the source files from. The error seems to point to a file it expects is missing from the source files. If you have the space you can extract everything from the new vpk's and then just run the mdl through the mdldecompiler as needed. I have not had any issues decompiling from these files.

I would assume Portal as that is a source game. Not sure why the Episode 1 folder is there though. I haven't downloaded any source files on my own.

Where would the new vpk's be? And would I extract them with GCFscape correct?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jukebox wrote: »
    I would assume Portal as that is a source game. Not sure why the Episode 1 folder is there though. I haven't downloaded any source files on my own.

Where would the new vpk's be? And would I extract them with GCFscape correct?

The vpk's are in the steamapps\common\team fortress2\tf. Make a new folder somewhere and copy all the tf2_misc vpk's to this folder. in the steamapps\common\team fortress2\bin folder find vpk.exe and create a shortcut to this. copy the shortcut into the folder with the vpk files. drag tf2_misc_dir.vpk onto the shortcut. you should see a cmd window, and once its done you will have everything.

If you did not see my recent post, get the beta sdk tools. I have been using them and they are all working solid, no hacking or modding required :poly142:
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vpk's are in the steamapps\common\team fortress2\tf. Make a new folder somewhere and copy all the tf2_misc vpk's to this folder. in the steamapps\common\team fortress2\bin folder find vpk.exe and create a shortcut to this. copy the shortcut into the folder with the vpk files. drag tf2_misc_dir.vpk onto the shortcut. you should see a cmd window, and once its done you will have everything.

If you did not see my recent post, get the beta sdk tools. I have been using them and they are all working solid, no hacking or modding required :poly142:

Awesome, did that and tried the decompiling again. This time it worked! Thanks for all the help, you've been much more helpful than fruitless googling.

Alright, I definitely will then. Currently Steam can't seem to connect to my internet(There's always something) but as soon as it does I will.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, did that and tried the decompiling again. This time it worked! Thanks for all the help, you've been much more helpful than fruitless googling.

Alright, I definitely will then. Currently Steam can't seem to connect to my internet(There's always something) but as soon as it does I will.

Happy to hear its working out for you so far. If you have issues with the new beta SDK we hijacked this thread as feedback:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34381987&posted=1#post34381987
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you heinous for the feedback. What about now?

9316 tris.

modifications.png
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the gun looked too aggressive due to its size, the design itself just looks aggressive. Again, this is entirely personal opinion, so for all I know you may even be better off not listening to me.

The higher poly gauge looks better, naturally.

The skirt does look better, and seeing the changes I think I may be able to put my problem with it in words now. Before, it looked kinda "desolate." It was a large flat area contradicting the other parts of the model that had a few tiny details here and there. So the hinges definitely fixed that. Does the middle one make sense though? Maybe you can clone the front 2 tiny ones onto the gaps between the middle 3? I have no idea how real hinges would work on a tank's skirt armor, so you might be better off ignoring me about this as well... :poly136: (Does it even need to look like it works? it's only TF2 and I may be overthinking this.)

The edge skirt plates are bent slightly and looks nice, but what if it's curved? I'm thinking if you imagine the rim cover of the level 1 sentry, cut it into quarters, and each piece being used as the front and back platings. That would definitely add a lot of polygons though, and you already have plenty of those, and might not even look that good. Besides, the current plates actually look good anyway.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    heinous: i have made 3 barrels for the sentry to avoid to looks like a mechanical heavy. I wanted to show that the sentry fire slower than a heavy and deal less DPS (more in long range).

I don't know if all the pieces i have added for the skirt are good (realistics) i have just taken some references from pictures of tanks and placed them. :)

I haven't understood your last sentence, the comparison with the sentry level 1 (i'm not a native english).

I am continuing making the icon for the workshop, i'll post the sentry tomorrow:
    workshophvzmzq.png
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't understood your last sentence, the comparison with the sentry level 1 (i'm not a native english).

Nevermind that. I was just rambling. The plates look good now.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Linko the sentry keeps looking better and better to me, i would love to see something like this make it in. For my smg I think I am going to leave the cylinders round, as I can afford the polys in my LOD_0. Very minor update, have not gotten much done. Moved some items around, changed the back plate piece, and actually attached the muzzle flash to my barrel.

SmgWip5.jpg
  • Linko
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Linko The sentry looks awesome, but I think 2048's are a bit much for TF2, unless the stock sentry uses 2048's.

Time to start unwrapping, then textures, then LOD's:
    SmgWip6.jpg
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Jesus Christ, why is everyone there butthurt about your suggested stats? Valve decides the stats anyway. They're getting rustled over nothing.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heinous wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, why is everyone there butthurt about your suggested stats? Valve decides the stats anyway. They're getting rustled over nothing.

It's an Engie weapon. Engies are very hard to balance so of course everyone is going to have a strong opinion.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally managed to compile this bastard after giving it a refined model/new texture.

2QBDA.jpg

2QBJy.jpg

2QCwQ.jpg

2QCyw.jpg

Will get some ingame shots later, off to my girlfriend's place for now.
  • gigazelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love some feedback for my WIP. I'm calling it "The Summer Steamer":

2673F8211D974EC9FE92FEDC1C2E2016C1ED26DB
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gigazelle wrote: »
    I'd love some feedback for my WIP. I'm calling it "The Summer Steamer":

2673F8211D974EC9FE92FEDC1C2E2016C1ED26DB

Now that's really cool!

My only suggestion is perhaps add a few more little details to the weapon, what you have is good, but unless I'm not seeing the full thing, it seems a tad simple. What's heating the water into steam, for instance?

Custom particles look awesome, though, would love to see a video!
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the knife bigger, and decided to name it the Quicksilver.

Here's some in-games. Got a video on the upload, too, with a finalized version of the Black Devil.

2QLuo.jpg2QLyQ.jpg
    2QLzn.jpg2QLCe.jpg
    2QLD9.jpg2QLGS.jpg
    2QLJI.jpg
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masich wrote: »
    Now that's really cool!

My only suggestion is perhaps add a few more little details to the weapon, what you have is good, but unless I'm not seeing the full thing, it seems a tad simple. What's heating the water into steam, for instance?

Custom particles look awesome, though, would love to see a video!

That flamethrower looks awfully familiar :poly124:

Just kidding.

Although to be fair regarding how it works, you know the Degreaser? Ever looked at it? Its fuel is a fire extinguisher. How does it light CO2 on fire? It's magic. Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart?
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heinous wrote: »
    That flamethrower looks awfully familiar :poly124:

Just kidding.

Although to be fair regarding how it works, you know the Degreaser? Ever looked at it? Its fuel is a fire extinguisher. How does it light CO2 on fire? It's magic. Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart?

Heh, good point. I do still feel an extra canister or something wouldn't go astray, but I'm yet to see more angles or a vid of the item so it's hard to say.

Speaking of videos...:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9UlTwgwLtQ&feature"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9UlTwgwLtQ&feature[/ame]
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gigazelle I agree that this needs some more detail. I like the idea, but it feels too plain for the concept. Maybe some sort of heating element hooked up to the water jug/hose?

@Masich I like the knife but I feel that material is letting down the model. It is too uniform, and the details are too subtle and get lost. I would say make the handle panels a different color, like they have a darker finish.

Unwrap completed, just some flats, and a light AO, texture work continues tomorrow:

SmgWip7.jpg
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Masich I like the knife but I feel that material is letting down the model. It is too uniform, and the details are too subtle and get lost. I would say make the handle panels a different color, like they have a darker finish.

Yeah, I agree. I was trying to go for the same kind of look as the real BM 42 knives, like this:

2R7Tx.jpg

I think the best way to do it is to add some engravings, some differentation to the handle and give it a similar texture/phong/lightwrap as the Ambassador.

Will definitely refine it soon, but right now I've moved onto the watch.

SMG is looking great, by the way. Wasn't digging it at first, but now it's got some detail I'm starting to like it.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2RkQi.jpg2RkRD.jpg

Some early renders of the watch.

Will texture this tommorow, off to bed.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Masich: Depending on how the lightwrap works out you may still want to make the handles like 20% darker than they currently are just to have some contrast.

Say hello to the SMG MarkII:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144631491
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somebody please teach me how to compile watches for the Spy? c_models don't work for it and my attempts to make v_models have fallen flat.

In the mean time, I'm gonna retexture the other two.
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I threw a pile of my developing weapons into the escape contest. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118831 another instance where I'm in over my head. :poly105:
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a set to go with my smg:

srmk2wip2.jpg
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    It matchs completely with the SMG, you'll make also a melee weapon in the pack?

I am working on a MIRV Grenade Launcher (fire a huge grenade that explode to release childs grenades):

3dmodel.jpg

mirvingame.jpg
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a set to go with my smg:

srmk2wip2.jpg

My first thought is that it looks very similar to the original Sniper Rifle. I'd put something in there to change up the silhouette. Make it stand out some.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    6819b4c3f0.png

WIP, much stuff will be tweaked.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like where that is going Sexy Robot, cant wait to see what else you add to it.

So I have to be completely missing something. I in no way can tell how these are too similar to each other:
    RifleCompare.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added the lenses, ported the muzzle, laser unit, general tweaks, smoothing groups, etc...

srmk2wip3.jpg
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    You should add holes for the muzzle or make the rifts less profound.

I have refined the size of my grenade launcher:

mirvingamemodifs.jpg
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like where that is going Sexy Robot, cant wait to see what else you add to it.

So I have to be completely missing something. I in no way can tell how these are too similar to each other:
    RifleCompare.jpg

Ah. Putting them side by side make it better, was hard to tell for me from the first screenshots you had. I take it back!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. Putting them side by side make it better, was hard to tell for me from the first screenshots you had. I take it back!

Yeah I had figured that was the case, so I posted the comparison. I pretty much had all the rifles together to try and avoid making it too similar to any that are in game. I just have a few more things to tweak when I get home, unless anyone has any other suggestions, then its unwrapping time :poly142:
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to anyone who worked on this fantastic update!
    http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=10628
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no longer a reason to wait on submitting this.

grayniversary_tin_hat_promo2.png
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Likewise:
    D5381055EB76CD0F20F873E5B785DCBCD21479E4

A .vpk to use it as a Hallmark replacement is on the workshop page.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some flats with an AO after the unwrap. I need to give the lens more space, and then finish the textures

srmk2wip4.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of the knife
    KnifeWip1.jpg
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    You should make do something completely different instead of a blade, the overall set is too close to the existing set (even if it's well made).

Base color and some design modifications:
    grenadelaunchermodifs.png

ingameweapon.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should make do something completely different instead of a blade, the overall set is too close to the existing set (even if it's well made).

I am open to ideas, got any suggestions for an alternative? I was not going to do a set at first, and when I did I just went with the mk2 theme of replacing the stock weapons with their "next" versions. Which is funny because I only called my smg the mark 2 because I could not think of a good name for it to save my life :poly142:
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, another noob question. I finally got my SDK working normally, and compiled a hat. How do I load it into the itemtest map so I can see it in game? Also, anyone know how to make it a re-skin of another hat? I haven't tried it but I guess I would just take the models and rename it to the name of the hat I want it to be a skin of.
    Ua5hNmM.png
    I need to adjust the model obviously...
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

RifleCompare.jpg

A bit late, but I would consider lengthening the barrel to match size. It's kind of an unfair advantage to not have the gun sticking out in the silhouette as a sniper.
    I am open to ideas, got any suggestions for an alternative? I was not going to do a set at first, and when I did I just went with the mk2 theme of replacing the stock weapons with their "next" versions. Which is funny because I only called my smg the mark 2 because I could not think of a good name for it to save my life :poly142:

A didgeridoo? It's Australian. Complete with the sound effect?
    So, another noob question. I finally got my SDK working normally, and compiled a hat. How do I load it into the Model Viewer along with the Scout model, or load it into the itemtest map so I can see it in game? Also, anyone know how to make it a re-skin of another hat? I haven't tried it but I guess I would just take the models and rename it to the name of the hat I want it to be a skin of.

I haven't used Steampipe beta sdk, but in the old one, you use load model to load the player model and then load weapon to load any part of your loadout.

I think you just use the original hat's qc to compile a reskin. instead of changing the name, you change the smd file being used. Helljumper's video does it the way you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8