Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i assume your gonna make custom animations for it and hope valve puts em in?
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first legit attempt at a serious submission-quality model pack for pyro. I was going with a painter theme, and just got things close to completion. I'm looking for any feedback to tweak the models and textures before I send it in.

"Pray 'n' Spray"
    Flamethrower replacement
    Still needs LODs, and fine touches to the textures. I may increase the texture resolution to get the spray-paint cans looking crisper.
    FinalSkin2.jpg
    FinalSkin-2.jpg
    hl22011-07-2404-08-10-83.jpg

"Rick Roller"
    Axetinguisher replacement
    Also needs LODs, but I'm pretty happy with everything else and am calling it done. In theory I could make a new sound effect for hits, though the fish sound would probably work well enough.
    FinalSkin-1.jpg
    hl22011-07-2404-09-25-37.jpg

"Painter's Cap"
    Needs some work on the texture, namely getting the brightness down and working on the cloth seams a bit more.
    FinalSkin.jpg

"Cremator's Can" or "Pyro's Palette"
    Also needs texture work and possibly even some changes to the model to get it more dented/etc. The handle is jiggle-boned. I kinda left this half-finished when Valve came out with the bucket hat for solly.
    render-2.jpg

Finally, a hastily-made update poster with descriptions.
    PyroPicassoPackUpdatePoster.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id say it would benefit from a texture size increase, also the trigger looks weird, you might wanna work on that otherwise looking pretty good

edit: trigger appears to look fine in game, for some reason model view is massing it up from the looks of it
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i assume your gonna make custom animations for it and hope valve puts em in?

i'm not really hoping much of anything, i just wanted to make a gun
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit: trigger appears to look fine in game, for some reason model view is massing it up from the looks of it
    Yeah that's some glitch with HLMV. It lines up properly (ie. only clips a little) in game.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i'm not really hoping much of anything, i just wanted to make a gun

what i mean is that it doesnt look like it fits the snipers default animations and would probably require some custom ones for reload n such
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @HaekB, that's a pretty interesting weapon. The reason Habboi points out about its size though is that the Eyelander has an increased melee range because of its size. It's not that big of a deal since the Half-Zaitochi is large with no increased range though.

@SgtR007, that's a pretty nice pack. I love the flamethrower and the melee is well executed although I'm not sure that it needs the normal on it. Having two hats also don't make much sense. I'd say drop the paint can hat or submit it as a separate random hat. The positioning of it looks a bit weird and it looks larger than any other hat in game.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i mean is that it doesnt look like it fits the snipers default animations and would probably require some custom ones for reload n such

i'm just going to model texture it now,, if the gumptions stikes me i may look into doin anims an such, but not overly worried about that at this momment,
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    @SgtR007 I really like the idea, looks really good and I'm sure valve will accept it. As for changes I think you should increase the uvspace of the paintcans as they seem pixelated in your screenshots.

The paintcan hat is much better than the painters hat, seems to fit with the pyros character more imo.

How did you get that fabric effect on the paint roller? could we see the UVs? :)

But overall good work :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well, gave up on trying to use the existing rig. Just created new bones, aligned the pivots with the existing bones, and copied their rotation values into mine.
    The main issue is now it no longer looks like a 'skeleton' as the bones don't lead to each other, they all just stick out at random angles. Luckily no animating is required.

Now that I know they will work I'll get on to baking/texturing. The uv is already done.

For this test I just had to make a new tex for the pyro and alpha the feet, lol.

lib_feet_ingame.jpg
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you get that fabric effect on the paint roller? could we see the UVs?
    For the cotton part of the weapon, I used a sponge texture I found online and adjusted the contrast/blurred it until it was relatively subtle. Then I copy/pasta'd in grayscale to make a normal map. I'll post the .vtf later.
    Zipfinator wrote:
    @SgtR007, that's a pretty nice pack. I love the flamethrower and the melee is well executed although I'm not sure that it needs the normal on it. Having two hats also don't make much sense. I'd say drop the paint can hat or submit it as a separate random hat. The positioning of it looks a bit weird and it looks larger than any other hat in game.
    Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't planning on submitting the paintcan hat without some serious work, if at all. It was the first thing I ever made when I taught myself how to model and I just posted it for fun.

As for the melee, I'm not sure how else to do the cloth part of the texture. I tried it without a normal at first and it either looked too 2D or else too plastic-y no matter how I fiddled with the .vmt/alpha. Making paint-covered cloth look real (though not TOO real *rolls eyes*) is a real challenge. I compare it to the challenge of the style of the fur in the Warrior's Spirit. To be honest I have never liked how that ended up. (No offense Ruskeydoo, I love the rest of your pack!)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sgt, looking at it again it's not as bad as I thought it was. It looks a bit strong in certain lighting conditions but overall I think it's better than if it wasn't there.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SgtR007 - Nice pack but it seems the painter's cap is either too low poly or lacks AO.

@Rhinokey - Silhouette for the gun looks very good.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @phoenix, I like the distal portion of the wrench, but the handle and transition seem a bit awkward. It looks hinged and weak at that point. I love the cattle prod idea, maybe try incorporporating a prod handle? I tried to google some ideas, but without safesearch on I got quite a few pretty NSFW results. People are crazy. :P

@Zip, The normal def looks worse in the v_model. I may try to broaden the pits on the normal map so that it's not as pronounced.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    @phoenix, I like the distal portion of the wrench, but the handle and transition seem a bit awkward. It looks hinged and weak at that point. I love the cattle prod idea, maybe try incorporporating a prod handle? I tried to google some ideas, but without safesearch on I got quite a few pretty NSFW results. People are crazy. :P

Haha, yeah I saw the same images with safe search off :P, I agree with you about the handle though, I'll make some new handle ideas and post them here.

As for your painter's cap, if you take a look at the scout's milkman set, the hat that was made for that set actually looks like it's made of fabric, try giving your hat some more volume and give it a AO bake? might improve it a bit :)
  • NeoDement
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NeoDement

I really like that hat! looks visually interesting and, yes, it does work really well with the solly's new beard xD

This may be me being too picky, but I think the top of the hat is a little too perfect, it doesn't seem like fabric as I said before to SgtR007, take a look at some of the hats already in the game and see how they look like they have been used.

Your texture shows this but the model doesn't. The model is great but make it look a bit more worn :)
  • Paullo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SgtR007 - I'm loving the painter-pack, the new flamethrower in particular is really cool. My only criticism overall would be to maybe bump up the texture quality, but otherwise it looks awesome.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    NeoDement wrote: »
    I made a sea captain hat for Soldier:
    finalseacaptain.jpg

(by sheer luck it looks REALLY GOOD combined with the Grordbort's beard)

Any crits?

Nice work NeoDement! Submit!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    APesquera was kind enough to do some drawings for me and I was wondering which ones people like. The fourth one is based on the backburner eyes. I personally like number 1 cause it's wild :D

face.jpg
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NeoDement

I really like that hat! looks visually interesting and, yes, it does work really well with the solly's new beard xD

This may be me being too picky, but I think the top of the hat is a little too perfect, it doesn't seem like fabric as I said before to SgtR007, take a look at some of the hats already in the game and see how they look like they have been used.

Your texture shows this but the model doesn't. The model is great but make it look a bit more worn :)
    I looked at all the other hats in the same sort of style (Wiki Cap, Head Honcho, Milk Mann etc etc) but couldn't really see what you meant. So I made it a bit lumpier, like the Attendant (is that what you meant?) Thanks!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/sea1.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/sea2.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/sea3.jpg
    larolaro wrote: »
    Nice work NeoDement! Submit!
    THANKS!

Habboi wrote: »
    APesquera was kind enough to do some drawings for me and I was wondering which ones people like. The fourth one is based on the backburner eyes. I personally like number 1 cause it's wild :D

face.jpg

Number 1 is awesome

Not sure if any of them fit TF2 but number 1 is awesome
  • Xenu's Paradox
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    This is my first legit attempt at a serious submission-quality model pack for pyro. I was going with a painter theme, and just got things close to completion. I'm looking for any feedback to tweak the models and textures before I send it in.

"Pray 'n' Spray"
    Flamethrower replacement
    Still needs LODs, and fine touches to the textures. I may increase the texture resolution to get the spray-paint cans looking crisper.
    FinalSkin2.jpg
    FinalSkin-2.jpg
    hl22011-07-2404-08-10-83.jpg

"Rick Roller"
    Axetinguisher replacement
    Also needs LODs, but I'm pretty happy with everything else and am calling it done. In theory I could make a new sound effect for hits, though the fish sound would probably work well enough.
    FinalSkin-1.jpg
    hl22011-07-2404-09-25-37.jpg

"Painter's Cap"
    Needs some work on the texture, namely getting the brightness down and working on the cloth seams a bit more.
    FinalSkin.jpg

"Cremator's Can" or "Pyro's Palette"
    Also needs texture work and possibly even some changes to the model to get it more dented/etc. The handle is jiggle-boned. I kinda left this half-finished when Valve came out with the bucket hat for solly.
    render-2.jpg

Finally, a hastily-made update poster with descriptions.
    PyroPicassoPackUpdatePoster.jpg

ALL MY MONEY. TAKE IT, YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD!

Also, maybe for the paint can, add paint dribbles on the Pyro's mask, if possible.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do u kill someone with a paint roller? And I thought the rolling pin was silly....
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    how do u kill someone with a paint roller? And I thought the rolling pin was silly....
    Someones never touched a rolling pin before it seems.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NeoDement

Yeah I guess that's similar to what I meant, btw those image links don't work for me
  • Paullo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »

Depends what it's made of. Also, the paint might be lead-based.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    hathathat.png

Find the fairly obscure 28 days later reference, I dare ya'.
  • Binghammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, Bing here :)

I'm new to the PC forums and would love any and all critiques. I'm working on a Medieval Spy set complete with Dirk, Sundial Watch, Crossbow, and Cowl. Here's my pre-texture work so far.

Vsqeu.png
    QHWfj.png
    bsW29.png
    DPSxx.png
    YkrZI.png

Thanks in advance,
    Binghammer
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite loving that movie to death, your reference must be too obscure for me :3
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Despite loving that movie to death, your reference must be too obscure for me :3

Near the end of the film, when the soldiers are preparing to do you know what to Selena and Hannah, you can clearly see one of the soldiers, ( I've forgotten which one it was, Jones maybe? ), wearing a distinct hat with buttons and pins on the front. Sadly there are no images on the net of it I think.

So, since I watched the movie last Tuesday, I thought I'd have a crack at it. All that has to be done on it now is that a good friend of mine is gonna' texture it.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why am I questioning silly tf2 props. Oh right I was thinking logically
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Habboi i'd go with either 1 or 4
    @Sexy Robot great movie! cant wait to see it textured

well now i cant think of anymore to change and i'd really like to be done with this tomorrow so if you got any crits say em now or forever hold your peace
    2011073000001t.jpg
    2011073000002.jpg
    2011073000004m.jpg

as you will notice the rear iron sight is now up cus i figure if its gonna be there might as well make it more visible instead of waasting polys. few texture changes an better ao on some parts (like the stud-things on top of the ammo can) ao is also darker to hopefully make things pop a little bit more
  • ThreeEyedRanger
    Nothing much else to do, fits the style fine and looks great to boot.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i think i am done with the modeling, goina unwrasp now, cant really texture it here since i have no wacom here at home.
    repeatoffender5.jpg
  • Old Painless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Only thing I can suggest is darkening the color of the inner barrel since in certain lights they look more like indentations than an air guard. Also but this is me just knit pickin is the ammo belt loads towards the top of the body and bolt and ejection port seem to be toward the top also but the barrel is seated low on the body, but thats me just being a spaz.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Old Painless thanks ill darken the inner barrel up. as far as the low seated barrel i rather like it that way. the browning seems to have a rather low seated barrel anyways
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Paullo wrote: »
    Depends what it's made of. Also, the paint might be lead-based.

Oh man... it might give you cancer, killing you slowly and painfully... 30 years later...

*shudder*
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Engineer found a tire iron.

engi_tire_iron.jpg

Ignore the texture, couldnt fill up the page with images so i put in some info at the bottom.
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SrgR007
    I will laugh so hard if you can paint that paint can.
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Engineer found a tire iron.

engi_tire_iron.jpg

Ignore the texture, couldnt fill up the page with images so i put in some info at the bottom.

Nice. Is that a standalone or part of like an auto mechanic pack?
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Is that a standalone or part of like an auto mechanic pack?

Thanks! Well its supposed to go along side my double barreled shotgun that i made but im not really liking it atm so i will probably be redoing that soon.
  • randomteddybear
    I finally decided to texture this thing. I thought it would be fitting considering the spy's line of work.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdxd718WXg[/ame]
    2011073100002c.jpg

more screens here and here.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is win. Love Scatman John and Queen's versions of the song.
  • ThreeEyedRanger
    Aw darnit, I was working on ideas for a Scout Greaser pack, and a 4 sided Tire Iron was the bat replacement.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have an idea for a scout weapon for you with rolled up chains, and he whacks the enemies with it. Gangland style.
  • ThreeEyedRanger
    Interesting, would go well with the modified exhaust-pipe scattergun and leather jacket that I have drawn up.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a Sniper set. Just base colors right now.

apocmachete_01.jpg

apocmachete_02.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What exactly is this sniper set suppose to be if I may ask ?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's going to be a post-apocalypse based Sniper. The Machete is based off of the machete Denzel Washington uses in The Book of Eli. I'm still contemplating whether or not to base the bow off of his bow in that or to do a more modern bow with a more unique silhouette.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely forgot about that movie. I would pick the more unique silhouette option I'd say. Anything that gives more character helps.