Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• roninsmastermix
    I want to say something with Colonel in it for some reason. Colonel's Cutaway perhaps? Agent's Anorak might work too.
    Well i modeled this after reading about the 2nd misc. slot. Cuz of that, i modeled everything on top of the rouge as you can see in the picture. No other misc. items clip it at the moment EXCEPT the made man and cubes. The medals though are placed right under the wide collar.
  • KajiVena
    Along with the recent "Clothing" phase, I want to model something for the Engineer. Basically, a replacement for his work clothes, based off of the outfit of a stereotypical car mechanic.

Could someone give me some tips on how to start it?
  • RedSheep
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    Pretty much everything can be team colored if done properly. In this case it's clearly not a problem with the qc, however. You're sure you pointed to the correct blue texture in your VMT?

Also, Valve doesn't use v_models anymore anyway so I wouldn't submit it as a v_model to begin with. They probably won't even bother to accept it if you did. Better to submit the model itself and let them implement it as a c_model.

I am positive it is pointing to the correct texture. The exact same vmt's are being used for the world model (which works).

That is my plan for submission, but this is mainly for testing purposes. I also intend to release it as a skin.
  • Grimbodan
    Coat needs a name.
    The Inspector's Insulator
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    RedSheep wrote: »
    I am positive it is pointing to the correct texture. The exact same vmt's are being used for the world model (which works).

That is my plan for submission, but this is mainly for testing purposes. I also intend to release it as a skin.

Just make sure it wasn't the problem I'll ask you again. Did you go to File, Unload Weapon? You can't view skins when it's loaded as the weapon and a lot of the time when you view it as the loaded model it'll have itself loaded as the weapon on top of itself making it appear as if the skins aren't working.
  • RedSheep
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Just make sure it wasn't the problem I'll ask you again. Did you go to File, Unload Weapon? You can't view skins when it's loaded as the weapon and a lot of the time when you view it as the loaded model it'll have itself loaded as the weapon on top of itself making it appear as if the skins aren't working.

Right, I forgot to respond to that.
    I have been testing them in-game, so that is not the issue.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I forgot to respond to that.
    I have been testing them in-game, so that is not the issue.

I'm talking about model viewer.

EDIT: Damn it, I read that as not...
  • Sharksmite
    Here is something i made a while a go. It is a saw who had its blade replaced on the side, so that it would be easier to kill.

CA821F6264CF2969D5EC646881E029EBA50E98D8
  • SgtR007
    @Xenu I think it's more complicated than that. I tried assigning paint splotches to a variety of head and neck bones previously and none of them remained on the character model upon death. When I get more time I might try again.

@ronin Operative's Overcoat? Turncoat's Trench?
  • roninsmastermix
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    @Xenu I think it's more complicated than that. I tried assigning paint splotches to a variety of head and neck bones previously and none of them remained on the character model upon death. When I get more time I might try again.

@ronin Operative's Overcoat? Turncoat's Trench?

Right now the best name i like is from a facepunch suggestion; "Underhanded Overcoat" Still open to suggestions.
  • Deity Link
    Speaking about team colours, for some reason my new fan replacement for the Fan O War appears red in both team's first person view.
    BUT it appears correctly blue on a BLU Scout's third person view.

What can cause a weapon to use skin2 on 3rd person and skin1 on 1st person??
  • SgtR007
    Did you use the c_model or break it down into v_ and w_ models?
  • Lime_Blue
    @ronin "Perplexing Peacoat", "Enwrapped Espionage", "Commander's/Colonel's Cover-Up", "Rouges Raincoat", "Dastardly Duster", "Frenchman's Facade", and "Maniacal Mourning Coat" are the best I've got, but I can think of a few more if necessary. Hope it helps :)
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Character concept search for my small project, until i find something better to do

characters_concept_board_01.jpg
  • Lime_Blue
    @Em I keep seeing Rango mixed with Disney's Robin Hood. Sweet sketches.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    -Em'- wrote: »
    Character concept search for my small project, until i find something better to do

They are cool but wrong thread? Or is this a TF2 character replacement?
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Omg, yes i was looking for "What are your working on" thread... Any admin to move it ?
  • erikrotable
    Maybe some one could make a buffalo rifle with a scope for the sniper? I got a picture here

BuffRifle.html&docid=HaL9TVsLuSEDxM&w=542&h=196&ei=Vyo4TqzSNMORswamzrED&zoom=1&iact=rc&d I think it would be great as a new rifle respond any who is capable of making it.
  • erikrotable
    i'd like someone to model this for me if it's possible 300buffalo.gif
    respond if u are able to make it
  • RedSheep
    I'm talking about model viewer.

I am aware that you were, but I have not been using the model viewer at all. I have been using itemtest inside of TF2.
  • Mad Mike
    Alright here is the grenade launcher, now painted with 2 variations of the foregrip. Tbh, it's one of my first attemps at painting anything and I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. Originally I intended this to have more of a mediavel feel with some ornamental elements, a touch of gold/brass, though for some reason when painting it I pretty much stayed within the original GL color scheme. When modeliing, I'll add some iron reinforcements (didn't feel like painting them, it took a bit too long anyway) to a few things like the stock, mostly to give that bit of medieval feel.

Handgone_v.jpg
  • Binghammer
    eY3lEs5 wrote: »
    Hey Bing, welcome to Polycount :) You're off to a good start, but a couple of crits:

Vsqeu.png
    The detail above the sword guard connecting to the blade, I'd make that pop a little more, it's quite subtle at the moment and would look nice with a more defined edge.

QHWfj.png
    The sundial reads medieval, but the wrist strap does not. It is actually quite boring. Look up ref's for leather straps, I found this to be interesting, maybe a variant of this:
    Medieval_Leather_Broadsword_Frog_Universal_1.jpg

DPSxx.png
    YkrZI.png
    As for the cowl, think about the fabric/cloth and the types of folds it would create. It sort of just looks like a big fluffed up pillow. You should look up reference on this. I did a quick search and found this:
    mr-100306.jpg
    It's longer than yours, but the folds around the head is what I'm talking about. Look up more refs for this piece. With it going on the head of the character, that is going to be a pretty important focal point of the player. Also, a nice detail would be to include some stitching on the trim and where seams connect.
    Keep pushing! Can't wait to see more from you :)

Thanks eY3lEs5, I appreciate the feedback. And even the reference to Assassin's Creed :)

Dirk
    So add more detail to make the notches pop out a bit more. Gotcha.

Sundial
    This is a hard one because the watches are not visible to other players and is barely visible to yourself in 1st person view. I like your ideas for straps, but they just won't be seen. You are 100% right though about my current strap.

Hood
    You're right, it does seem a little pillowy, but I hoped to add the folds in via normal map. A little more geometry wouldn't hurt either.

Again thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

-Bing
  • roninsmastermix
    securityglassessample1.jpg
    Fixing my security glasses.
    Now will be paintable and have Frameless alt-style.
  • RedSheep
    #2 but with a slight change.
    Move the front-most Metal band (and the wood it is attached to) forward so that the band is in the same location to the corresponding metal band on design #1.

Hopefully, I worded that well enough.

edit: @Madmike
  • TauVertex
    I've been working on a boyscout set for the Scout with a neckerchief and merit badge sash. The neckerchief turned out pretty well, I think. I have two versions, one of which goes down the back and one that's rolled up around his neck so it can use the dogtag animations.
    ru44g.jpg

I'm having issues with the sash, though. I wanted to actually have badges textured on it, but that area stretches really badly in several of his animations. Any ideas on how I might make it look better? I tried modeling them rather than texturing, but dealing with weights ended up being even more of a headache and just looked worse.
    ClFQb.jpg
  • Lime_Blue
    Would the neckerchief and sash cause clipping issues with each other?
  • RedSheep
    TauVertex wrote: »
    I've been working on a boyscout set for the Scout with a neckerchief and merit badge sash...

I actually have been working on a boy scout set for a little while.

I am almost finished with my neckerchief, and I have already made a sash (which I scrapped due to some problems), a primary, melee, and a boy scout hat.

Here are some WIP pics:

boyscoutwip4.jpg?t=1312315419

boyscoutwip2.jpg?t=1312315418

boyscoutwip3.jpg?t=1312315418

I guess now would be a good time to ask for critiques.
    I was planning on finishing the necker today.
  • Deity Link
    SgtR007 wrote:
    Did you use the c_model or break it down into v_ and w_ models?

c_model only. Should I have made another?
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Pilotka

Looks like your Garrison Cap wont be making it in Ronin. :(
  • TauVertex
    Lime_Blue wrote: »
    Would the neckerchief and sash cause clipping issues with each other?

There's some clipping on the back at the moment, but nothing too serious.
    I actually have been working on a boy scout set for a little while.

*sigh* This always happens. =(
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I am aware that you were, but I have not been using the model viewer at all. I have been using itemtest inside of TF2.

Yeah sorry, I read that as NOT testing it in-game. You should try it out in Model Viewer just to be sure that it's not the item test system fucking up. Maybe you're right and it's just not set up to switch skins though.
  • Just a Gigolo
  • JZeeba
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @TauVertex,

I'd look into having all the badges low enough that they can be weighted to only the backbone maybe (not 100% on which bones are in the structure).

But it seems like you have them on verts that are weighted to the shoulder, which are always going to stretch a lot. Even his arm looks deformed in that pick.

So have the sash weighted to shoulder where it goes over the top, then below be fully weighted to back. You'll get massive stretching right above the pins, but f it's a solid color it won't be noticable.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    The marshmallow on stick is classic, but what about a little burnt and a smoke particle on it?
  • Ruskeydoo

And Stahlhelm: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Stahlhelm

Though don't count Ronin's hats out of the running just yet. I thought the Big Chief wouldn't get in when the Cheiftain's Challenge came out.
  • TauVertex
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @TauVertex,

I'd look into having all the badges low enough that they can be weighted to only the backbone maybe (not 100% on which bones are in the structure).

But it seems like you have them on verts that are weighted to the shoulder, which are always going to stretch a lot. Even his arm looks deformed in that pick.

So have the sash weighted to shoulder where it goes over the top, then below be fully weighted to back. You'll get massive stretching right above the pins, but f it's a solid color it won't be noticable.

The sash weights work really well right now, and I'm honestly scared to touch them. I wanted to avoid moving the badges if possible (having them lower just doesn't look quite right) but it does seems to fix the problem. A bit of "rightness" seems worth sacrificing for having them nonstretched.

Thanks for the input. :)
  • Doughnut Bear
    messing around in item test, found this:
    2011080200001.jpg
    2011080200002.jpg
    bunch of badges, example of one. thought it was intertesting idk if there are any tf2 tournaments going on sorry if this is common knowledge that these exist :poly142:
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    RedSheep: I like the hat and the gun, they really make the scout look like a young camper. I especially dig the style of the gun. I think your marshmallow on a stick could use a bit more work, especially on the texture of the stick... It seems sort of out of place. Looks great overall though!
  • CidTheNinja

Oh, there's always hope. Especially considering there are currently 5 different kinds of tricorne, 3 different pith helmets, 5 different top hats (not including hats stacked on top of each other), 2 bowler hats, 2 hard hats (not including engie's default hat), 3 peaked caps, 2 headbands, 2 nearly identical fedoras, 2 native American headdresses and 3 baseball caps.
    Oh, but this...
    Soldier_Stahlhelm.png
    First a Slavic hat for Engie, now this. They had better make this wearable for Medic. :poly118:
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    bunch of badges, example of one. thought it was intertesting idk if there are any tf2 tournaments going on sorry if this is common knowledge that these exist :poly142:

They added these a week or two ago in an update. If you read the wiki updates they list hidden stuff like this when they find it although I'm not even sure if these were hidden.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    final_extinguisher_thrower.jpg

Calling it done for now. Moving on to shotgun design by APesquera.
  • RedSheep
    Yeah sorry, I read that as NOT testing it in-game. You should try it out in Model Viewer just to be sure that it's not the item test system fucking up. Maybe you're right and it's just not set up to switch skins though.

I thought that that might be the case, but, since it replaces the scattergun (and therefore not needing the itemtest function), I tested it both with and without itemtest. Still no blue texture.
    Base wrote: »
    RedSheep: I like the hat and the gun, they really make the scout look like a young camper. I especially dig the style of the gun. I think your marshmallow on a stick could use a bit more work, especially on the texture of the stick... It seems sort of out of place. Looks great overall though!

Thanks. The textures are mostly still works in progress. I'll take that and the comments for the marshmallow into consideration.

Here is the neckerchief so far
    Both it and the hat are paintable. Also the base color of the neckers are an air of debonair currently.

boyscoutwip5.jpg?t=1312324061
    boyscoutwip6.jpg?t=1312324061
    boyscoutwip7.jpg?t=1312324064

I didn't take a shot of it, but the current base colors are an air of debonair.

edit: as you can see, the hat and neckerchief are paintable
  • Doughnut Bear
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    scout ties often have a trim that's a different colour to the rest of the tie.
    ScoutScarf.png
    It'd add a little extra detail to the one you've got going there.
  • RedSheep
    I'm working on that.
    It's taking quite a bit of trial and error to get it to look right and have a seamless transition on seams.
  • Doughnut Bear
    quick question im starting on a hotrod inspired flamethrower(pics soon :D) and for chrome areas on the weapon should i use am intense phong mask or should i use a cubemaap

redsheep if you make the marshmallow tip glow and give off smoke you would be my hero
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Doughnut, I'd look at the chrome metal texture that's already in game. If you want true chrome that would do it.
  • Doughnut Bear
    wow thanks for reminding me, i totally forgot bout those metal boxing gloves
  • roninsmastermix
    securityshadesfix_by_rave8259-d42ump7.jpg
    Security Shades fix.
    Smoother frame, now comes with a proper ear brace, envmapped, does not clip most of the heavy hats anymore and comes with 2 styles (regular shades and frameless version. )
    Will submit tomorrow.