Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Robert E. Lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to get a little off topic here, but I need a little artistic criticism before I start modeling. In the link at the bottom, there will be two drawings, the first one is the style I am trying to go for, but was too big and I scratched it; but I kept it there because that is exactly the feel that I flamethrower to have. The second flamethrower is my slimmer, Pyro friendly flamethrower that will not clip as hard as the first. I am disapointed with the second one, although I used extensive reference after reference to get the flamethrower form right, I feel as if I have completely lost the feel of the first. I would like some suggestions to revive the feel in the second drawing that was in the first. The feel I am going for is a chemistry feel, playing on the stripped down feel that the Pyro loves, but making it somewhat compatible in a laboratory environment. Btw, sorry for only having one angle on the design.
    http://xephslayer.deviantart.com/#/d3duzsz
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Okay, I'm as sick of posting updates on this hat as you guys are of seeing them. The results of figuring out how the class-sequencing works! I guess I'll submit this version (that applies to all classes, rather than just the pyro) too, but damn. It is disturbing to see. Soldier and demo should not be allowed to wear a cute kittyear headband.

kittyall.jpg

Soldier and demo look completely humiliated. Scout's a bit peeved to wear such a thing as well, haha.

I admit that this is kind of disturbing.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Ok i fixing my hat right now but was wondering about how everyone sets up there files when sending them to valve, folders, names, ect.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Elbagast - woah, that sticky launcher is killer! nice work!
  • mohger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • roninsmastermix
    ninja_textured_final_by_rave8259-d3dtqr3.jpg
    First time posting here. I need help on my ninja hat. I want to apply a metal shine/finish on the emblem/band. How can i do it in blender? Any feedback is welcome as well.

Need more creative input, please. Also adding an alpha channel map for source to put some shine on the steel band. Do you guys think i should put more wear and tear on hood and mask? Also thinking of adding a scarf.

@elbagast - that is one bad ass launcher, man!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More or less done and submitted.
    progress_viking_theme.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Does anyone have any tips of submitting items to TF2 Contribute? How long does it normally take for them to respond?(if they like it)

I just submitted my pyro tank, and my spycrab.

Thanks guys,
    -Ben
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need more creative input, please. Also adding an alpha channel map for source to put some shine on the steel band. Do you guys think i should put more wear and tear on hood and mask? Also thinking of adding a scarf.

@elbagast - that is one bad ass launcher, man!

Id go for more a look like scorpion from mortal kombat, cause the current one reminds me of naruto and no one likes naruto

@benhenry they wont really contact you unless they are going to put your stuff in game. supposedly this has been a complaint on the forums causing concern that people dont know if valve ever got their stuff because they never send emails confirming such. so who knows.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    They don't even contact you if they're going to put your stuff in game. I wasn't aware Sober Stuntman was put in game until a day or two after the update and I wasn't aware that Sober Stuntman was put on the store until a week after it was on there. Only e-mail you'll get is the one where you fill out payment info.
  • roninsmastermix
    Rada wrote: »
    Id go for more a look like scorpion from mortal kombat, cause the current one reminds me of naruto and no one likes naruto

@benhenry they wont really contact you unless they are going to put your stuff in game. supposedly this has been a complaint on the forums causing concern that people dont know if valve ever got their stuff because they never send emails confirming such. so who knows.

Thanks for the reply, i'll keep that in mind. Come to think of it, i can make a few ninja masks and see which valve will pick. (if ever at all) How about the shading and quality? i fear that i need to add a few details here and there to make it more appealing. What do you guys think?
  • roninsmastermix
    ninja_spy_texture_update_by_rave8259-d3dwo3a.jpg

New update, added a cut on the mask and re-painted the hood using Swizzle's Tf2 brush.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    roninsmastermix: That looks cool, but isn't the mask going to get caught in facial deformations? He even has an idle facial relaxation animation in which the cigarette sort of shifts...

Decided to fit the rage bands to some other classes with my newfound sequencing know-how.

rageall.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    Vrav wrote: »
    roninsmastermix: That looks cool, but isn't the mask going to get caught in facial deformations? He even has an idle facial relaxation animation in which the cigarette sort of shifts...
    I never thought of that really. I should try and test it.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Valve right now............
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guess they forgot my email again :(
    Grats, how many items?
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For all you Disgaea fans:

unled1sy.jpg

A little mini Prinny friend! Thinking of making skinfamilies for RED and BLU, what do you guys think?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pogo: I am not completely sure, but he said he wanted to put my black market set in-game.
    I don't know if this was a complete yes, but I'm hoping it was.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For all you Disgaea fans:

unled1sy.jpg

A little mini Prinny friend! Thinking of making skinfamilies for RED and BLU, what do you guys think?

looks nice. can you make something really cute? I mean....something along the lines of a really really adoreable teddy bear?
  • Robert E. Lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bunsen_burner_concept_art_by_xephslayer-d3duzsz.png

Hey, sorry to interrupt, but I need some artistic criticism and help. I began to sketch out a flamethrower design that sort of strays away from the stripped down feel that all the others have, while keeping it looking good on the Pyro. So I drew the top one first, and it's exactly what I want in my design, sort of stripped down, but it looks good. Sadly, I realized that this would be a clipping nightmare on the Pyro. So I drew the bottom one using extensive references for the build of a flamethrower and this is what I got(well first I got the degreaser, but that's something entirely different story). But I have two BIG issues with the second sketch: one- the bottom one feels like it lost the original feel I wanted to give it and two- I can easily see this turning into another degreaser with a few wrong turns. I need help making the second one look like the first.
    *The theme I am at would not be a completely refined flamethrower, but not completely stripped down either. I also was looking at a chemistry theme, something that could have been used in a laboratory, which is where the first one succeeds. The second one just looks like a bunch of sewer pipes with a refined gas tank and head.
    **Sorry for only having one reference angle for you guys.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice. can you make something really cute? I mean....something along the lines of a really really adoreable teddy bear?

Well, I'm making a doggy Gir from Invader Zim, so we'll see!
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreamcrusher1.png
    tricount is a little lofty, trying to reduce it.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @larolaro and roninsmastermix: Thank you kind sirs! :)

@roninsmastermix: I'm going to side with Vrav in pointing out that the face mask is probably going to have issues since the character expressions change a lot - for example most of them grimace every time you shoot (though the demoman grins...).

@D-D-D-Demon!: Dood. Sweet. There is a red prinny variant so you could lift the tone from a pic of it for teamcolours.

Myself? Refinement:

tf2_sticky_launcher_progress_by_elbagast-d3dxhrd.png

You can't really tell the differences in game at the moment, but the biggest changes are sorting out how the drum is mounted and lowering it a bit to allow for a bigger ejection port.

I did try out a lot of variations for mounting the drum but ended up with something rather similar to the regular sticky launcher - it's simple, but more importantly doesn't add as much useless bulk as the other ways I tried.

At the moment I need to move a few things to deal with some clipping issues with this revision, then I'll start work on the handles and that thing at the rear which I guess is trying to masquerade as a stock.

As always any comments welcome,
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast, looking real nice. I was going to point out that the stock-like thing at the rear is a bit awkwardly connected to the rest of the weapon but it looks like you're already planning on changing it.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    af359a0fd87b0f275ed2137dec8326c3.png

Been teaching myself 3ds Max for the past day.

I think I'm doing pretty well for one days learning.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    44388181.png
    mailbox.png

what i got so far with the texture.i still intend to scale the nails up a bit like Elbagast suggested. your all probally sick of mailboxes by now so ill take a break from posting them :P
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

what i got so far with the texture.i still intend to scale the nails up a bit like Elbagast suggested. your all probally sick of mailboxes by now so ill take a break from posting them :P

I think that the nails are too small, you could enlarge them.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting a really weird error. I compiled my Gir Teddy Bear replacement, and in Blender, it looked like this:

girright.jpg

But once compiled and loaded into the Source SDK Model Viewer, it looks like this:

girwrong.jpg

It's almost as if the left side of his face is getting moved up or something. My only thought is that it has to be the vtf, because the model 's verticies are perfectly aligned, and it looks fine in Blender. Unless it's the compiler itself which is causing the problem.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been said by many others but it bears repeating, the luchador mask is one of the best items I've seen.
    Also awesome to see unique looking sticky launchers, there's been so few of those.

No shortage of sniper rifles, though, and here's the anti-tank rifle I posted some pages back, with all the major clipping and other problems ironed out.

cUWzL.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Fuckin' love the big fifty Svdl. Maybe a rigid jigglebone on the bipod would add some nice movement when the sniper scopes in.
    Elbagast wrote: »

You can't really tell the differences in game at the moment, but the biggest changes are sorting out how the drum is mounted and lowering it a bit to allow for a bigger ejection port.

I did try out a lot of variations for mounting the drum but ended up with something rather similar to the regular sticky launcher - it's simple, but more importantly doesn't add as much useless bulk as the other ways I tried.

At the moment I need to move a few things to deal with some clipping issues with this revision, then I'll start work on the handles and that thing at the rear which I guess is trying to masquerade as a stock.

As always any comments welcome,

I really like the strong lines you have on the barrel. Maybe a small increase in the muzzle diameter would look good and give you a stronger diagonal barrel profile.
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sniper's rifle looks amazing! But it seems to be missing one last bit of detail. Something has to be added to give it a little more character, some sort of tape, or a note attached to the scope, a sticker on the metal bit, something to break up the big gray area in first person. or maybe some more wood bits?
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i guess manuca liked the name i suggested
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Manuca ya i still have to do that
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rada wrote: »
    i guess manuca liked the name i suggested

Thanks @Svdl!
    @Rada, I liked your suggestion, thanks :)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Svdl looks great id say you should take Apocol0id's advice, its a great model just needs something to give it a little uniqueness.
  • roninsmastermix
    Svdl wrote: »
    It's been said by many others but it bears repeating, the luchador mask is one of the best items I've seen.
    Also awesome to see unique looking sticky launchers, there's been so few of those.

No shortage of sniper rifles, though, and here's the anti-tank rifle I posted some pages back, with all the major clipping and other problems ironed out.
    That is by far the best sniper rifle i've seen in TF2, hands down! This should be added now. If there was any thing that i didn't like was that long iron brace on top of the handle and trigger. It feels out of place to me.

The rest is just amazing form and detail. The nozzle is a thing of beauty. The ammo clip is just monsterous. I don't know why some would say it still needs a bit more character, i say that clip alone gives it an intimidating vibe to it. The stand reinforces that impression that this gun exerts a lot of force and i wouldn't mind if it didn't have jiggle bones to it really. Just lovely, lovely design work.
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is by far the best sniper rifle i've seen in TF2, hands down! This should be added now. If there was any thing that i didn't like was that long iron brace on top of the handle and trigger. It feels out of place to me.

The rest is just amazing form and detail. The nozzle is a thing of beauty. The ammo clip is just monsterous. I don't know why some would say it still needs a bit more character, i say that clip alone gives it an intimidating vibe to it. The stand reinforces that impression that this gun exerts a lot of force and i wouldn't mind if it didn't have jiggle bones to it really. Just lovely, lovely design work.

Well I meant detail to cover the large gray area on the right. Also, like with the Sydney Sleeper, which has the feathers, and the original sniper rifle that has the cable that bounces around, I just thought it could use some personalization. It's got tons of character, yeah. A little 'this weapon is owned and decorated' could really help. Be it some fixing tape on the clip or an aboriginal token hanging from the scope.
  • mohger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've been working on this recently ->
    da7ee7cc690fb67708738ef7cbd5084d.png

I'm fairly new to modelling. Here's another thing I've made before.

4b7dd184f514431761077028779f35c3.jpg

Now with 30% more Sam Fisher
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot: More progress than I ever had in Max... At the moment the wires only seem to connect to something at the front end, at the other they just sort of disappear into the mid-section. You may have changed this by now though.

@D-D-D-Demon!: From the looks of the nose I'd say the UV's are flipped on one side, it could be an exporter bug. How does it look if you import your exported SMD?

@Svdl: Awesome. Minor nitpick - the recoil suppressor seems a little weedy in relation to the barrel - maybe scale it up or have the barrel get thinner towards the end (like the real Boys rifle)? Just a thought.

@Norron: I've had a play around with that.

I think all the major shapes are sorted now:

tf2_sticky_launcher_progress_2_by_elbagast-d3dzvku.png

I ended up building the rear of the gun completely different (it's supposed to be the hinging point for the hood) and then pulled the handle shapes from a Bren LMG. The front handle looks a bit weedy at first but it's well within limits. I might bulk it up a little more regardless.

I upped the muzzle diameter a little as per Norron's suggestion, it seems if you push this too far it gets a bit cartoony but it does have an effect. Quite a lot of old artillery pieces have barrel ends like this so it seems reasonable enough.

Next up is detailing, tweaks and fixing all the build errors. Currently ~4100 tris unoptimised (and undetailed).
  • Rada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    Thanks @Svdl!
    @Rada, I liked your suggestion, thanks :)

i also thought of El Giganto/e today but it's already been submitted i guess

also i think my texture may be done, thoughts also still don't know what to edit in vtf edit to make the white parts colorable/team color.

capture16.png
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Rada, here is the vmt for my armbands. This is copied from an existing item. I have bolded the relevant sections... at least I think these are the only parts that are necessary. (I haven't tried without also including all the burn/yellow stuff.)
    [COLOR=Gray]"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "models\player\items\all_class\ragebands"
        "<dx90"
        {
            "$baseTexture" "models\player\items\all_class\ragebands_dx8"
        }
        "$bumpmap" "models/effects/flat_normal"
        "$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"    
        "$detailscale" "5"
        "$detailblendfactor" ".01"
        "$detailblendmode" "6"
        "$yellow" "0"

[/COLOR] [COLOR=Gray]     "$phong" "1"
        "$phongexponent" "6"
        "$phongboost" "4"
        "$lightwarptexture" "models/player/pyro/pyro_lightwarp"
        "$phongfresnelranges" "[.25 .5 4]"
        "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"
    [/COLOR] [B]
        "$blendtintbybasealpha" "1" // Diffuse map alpha channel is tint mask
        "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "0" // Changes blending method... 0 or 1

[/B][B]"$colortint_base" "{140 140 140}" // Default, unpainted colour
        "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]
        "$color2" "{140 140 140}"[/COLOR][/B]
        [COLOR=Gray]
        "$rimlight" "1"
        "$rimlightexponent" "2"
        "$rimlightboost" ".5"

// Cloaking
        "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

[/COLOR] [COLOR=Gray]     "Proxies"
        {
            "weapon_invis"
            {
            }
            "AnimatedTexture"
            {
                "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
                "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
                "animatedtextureframerate" "30"
            }
            "BurnLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
            }
            "YellowLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$yellow"
            }[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Gray]       "Equals"
            {
                "srcVar1"  "$yellow"
                "resultVar" "$color2"
            }[/COLOR][B]
            "ItemTintColor"
            {
                 "resultVar" "$colortint_tmp"
            }
            "SelectFirstIfNonZero"
            {
                 "srcVar1" "$colortint_tmp"
                 "srcVar2" "$colortint_base"
                 "resultVar" "$color2"
            }[/B]
    [COLOR=Gray]    }
    }[/COLOR]

If your VMT doesn't have the proxies section, you may as well copy it as well, though it doesn't seem to even work ingame. (accessories don't burn or get jarate'd...? but these sections are in official files so you may as well include them)

The $color2 definition I have coloured green is not necessary, but having it there allows the model viewer to preview the tint colour. Here are some colours... they're commented out like this so you can just paste and swap between them in your text editor. I have two macros in notepad++ which run on keypress; what they do is comment out the current line, move to the adjacent line and decomment it... this allows for very easy cycling through the colours to preview in the model viewer.

-

"$color2" "{179 76 79}" // Stock Red
    // "$color2" "{94 124 170}" // Stock Blu
    // "$color2" "{233 150 122}" // Dark Salmon Injustice
    // "$color2" "{207 115 54}" // Mann Co. Orange
    // "$color2" "{240 230 140}" // The Color of a Gentlemann's Business Pants
    // "$color2" "{231 181 59}" // Australium Gold
    // "$color2" "{50 205 50}" // The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime
    // "$color2" "{114 158 66}" // Indubitably Green
    // "$color2" "{128 128 0}" // Drably Olive
    // "$color2" "{66 79 59}" // Zephaniah's Greed
    // "$color2" "{47 79 79}" // A Color Similar to Slate
    // "$color2" "{216 190 216}" // Color No. 216-190-216
    // "$color2" "{255 105 180}" // Pink as Hell
    // "$color2" "{125 64 113}" // A Deep Commitment to Purple
    // "$color2" "{81 56 74}" // Noble Hatter's Violet
    // "$color2" "{230 230 230}" // An Extraordinary Abundance of Tinge
    // "$color2" "{197 175 145}" // Peculiarly Drab Tincture
    // "$color2" "{165 117 69}" // Muskelmannbraun
    // "$color2" "{126 126 126}" // Aged Moustache Grey
    // "$color2" "{124 108 87}" // Ye Olde Rustic Color
    // "$color2" "{105 77 58}" // Radigan Conagher Brown
    // "$color2" "{20 20 20}" // A Distinctive Lack of Hue
    // "$color2" "{184 56 59}" // Team Spirit (RED)
    // "$color2" "{88 133 162}" // Team Spirit (BLU)

-

Also, Rada, what is your item? IMO you should post flats with a shot of the model with texture applied.... (:
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    345g.png
    55174268.png
    mailbox.png

here are some screens. i feel like i am practically done besides s little cleanup on the texture if need be. nails are now 43% larger! and we all know how the ladies love the large nails *nudge* *nudge*.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.teamfortress.com/hatless/

Pretty exciting update! I can't wait for it to finish downloading so I can see what they mean by "styles" - different sequencing to let the player choose the position of their hats? Also, the fact that they have painting working on dx8 now probably means they VMT information has changed somewhat. Guess we'll have to check it out.

EDIT:

Holy shit, awesome! 'Style' is a new texture type! Check out the Googly Gazer they accepted. It now has the white eyeball and the metal eye both, which I am very happy to see got in too. Soooo coool.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    Holy shit, awesome! 'Style' is a new texture type! Check out the Googly Gazer they accepted. It now has the white eyeball and the metal eye both, which I am very happy to see got in too. Soooo coool.
    That's really cool... I wonder if it's only for textures, or if it'll work with submodels and stuff as well?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, it does apparently. At least, it can switch between two .mdl files, like with the new Gibbus/old Gibbus.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out what the bug was. For some reason, the mirror modifier I was using was adding faces and verticies for some strange reason. I'll probably just end up doing the Gir over again. So while I figure that out, I've happened upon the joys of skinfamilies! :)

unled1ih.jpg

I made it pink because there's a Prinny in Disgaea called Big Sis Prinny, who shares a similar hue. I thought it would be more fun to make one that looked like this for red, instead of a more "red" hue.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool beans update. This new Style stuff should really allow for some more creative submissions.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    2a0af9ab2a14c9e1267c776e4ddd4c29.png

My work here is done, time to find someone to texture this beast.
  • roninsmastermix
    Question to all.

Since i see many submissions being credited to two designers, is there anyway one here willing to help me on my submissions? I will do the modeling, design and texturing side of the job. All i need is someone to compile and script stuff for the item. He/She will be credited equally as we have seen with CommunistCake and Pie_tony sharing the credit.

Let me know if anyone is interested so i can focus on making stuff rather than spend time compiling and making it work in-game. Feedback also welcome.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy to help out with compiling and rigging, add me on steam: alsisco if you want to chat about it some
  • roninsmastermix
    Pogo wrote: »
    I'm happy to help out with compiling and rigging, add me on steam: alsisco if you want to chat about it some

Thank you so much. Im in my office right now and will be back home in about 3 hours or so. I will add you by then. You can add me at http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026610207

And wth is my avatar still not updated? :(