Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Dean
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    without being able to see exactly what is going on with your mesh, i would bet that it is your topology that is working against your sculpting. a quick fix would be to retopo the high poly mesh you have now (working from a lower sub-d level) then reproject the details onto the new topology, which would get rid of the "saw tooth" effect you are seeing.

just a guess though, and regarding the retopo, i am not sure how to go about this in mudbox because i am a zbrush user. im sure someone will chime in though with a mini tut or something. good luck

Thanks:) Yep, it was the topology. Learned a good lesson here, never just take the topology for granted. Will keep an eye on it from now on!:D
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with you kaptainkernals, but in a game model Such a small grain will not be noticeable in a normal map, the only problem he has is that the normal map is showing it and it makes the wood look like made out of a rustic piece of wood. like a wood plank from a floor that doesn't need to be smooth at touch. Maybe i expressed my self wrong, I dint meant that the wood dint had to have some wood grain on it, but that it was too big like you said.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I have a ref around here somewhere that has wood with larger grain just like on my texture, but then again I've also seen M1 refs with laminate frames! Anyway it's not so pitted, and I've fixed this with just some selected pits that end up looking more like dents or the coating wearing away than anything. I've also softened up the wear which should help the spec do its job, and with a color tweak I think the metal looks considerably more awesome. This just goes to show what an extra hour can do.

I can't even describe how cool this looks in motion. I'll certainly need to add a video of this when I put together my portfolio.

m8.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Much better Racer! cant wait to see a video of it ;)
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Agreed much better, and yeah Hotkill, I know what you meant, I wasn't speaking about the grain on the rifle, was talking purely about the pitting on it. - or the Pores as you referred to them in your previous post.

Also really keen to see a vid of it.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Havnt touched anything 3d in about 2 month's so just breaking back into bash meshing. I started adding a few new poly lines to start on the clothes and still have'nt done anything to the face. 822 polies so far'

render5-6.jpg

Going for something neko methinks, bored of the usual so why not?
  • Hawt Koffee
  • Pix
    Is this a character from cortex command?
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Working on a sci-fi phone, need more inspiration lol, I just blocked out the high poly right now, looking through some pictures and stuff to see what more I could add..

2re0bc1.jpg
  • Slaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Not to sound rude but two boxes don´t seem very "sci-fi" to me.
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Dean wrote: »
    Thanks:) Yep, it was the topology. Learned a good lesson here, never just take the topology for granted. Will keep an eye on it from now on!:D

yeah it took me a while to understand that it's way easier to just retopologize, than to try and work against the original topology of a sculpt.

i've noticed that most people will start from a generic shape or base mesh, then sculpt until they start seeing what you described as "saw tooth" looking geometry, then retopo, and continue working with the new topology. just a suggestion for workflow, but you could also just as easily start out with a more proper topolgy (from 3ds max or equivalent), and cut out the retopology step later on. good luck with future work, and with the creature :thumbup:
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught wrote: »
    Not to sound rude but two boxes don´t seem very "sci-fi" to me.

Not rude at all, I'm just trying to box something out, all that christmas food really drained my mana, It'll get better I hope :poly122:
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Pix wrote: »
    Is this a character from cortex command?
    quite possibly
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Not rude at all, I'm just trying to box something out, all that christmas food really drained my mana, It'll get better I hope :poly122:

I'm thinking the back part of the phone is a little thick. Most new technology seems to go for compact/sleek/thin designs.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I don't want to spam up this thread, but I changed the wood on this to a smaller grain. I'm not sure how I like it.

igotwood.jpg
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    You are not spamming it up :D some of us are maybe fans of your work. The modifications look great. I'm not really one to give criticism on good work, unless I'm the first to point out something obvious ;) However, the knife looks a little strange in above pictures. Would you mind doing a close up render of it?
  • timwiese
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Racer445 wrote: »
    I don't want to spam up this thread, but I changed the wood on this to a smaller grain. I'm not sure how I like it.

I really like the wood how it was on the post before this, the current one seems too saturated.

I'm loving this gun!
  • Rens
    Thanks Kitteh, Acumen,
    I made a note of them, see if i can polish those out one of these days :)

Been messing around with this one, combined both xoliul with a bit of 3pointshading in photoshop
    The posing and lighting is still weak, will try some variations to get that right

halogruntshaders.jpg
  • Tea Monster
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 13
    @ Racer445 - I'm kind of new here, so I can't pretend to speak for the forum, but personally, good work is always welcome here.

@ Rens - like the grunt, you can tell he has attitude.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Holy cow racer! That garand is awsome! really great looking texture and model. Wish i could make metal like that
    When are you going to upload your portfolio again? already waiting for "something good" :P
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    The TF2 1850 Edition thread is kind of... slow and I want to get some crits before I move on to the UVs, so I figured I'd post this here

1850s Medic. I still need to add in some accessories to break up the symmetry
    1850MedicSS7.jpg
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Splish Splash :)
    This lowpoly stuff is sooo much fun.

splish_splash_wip2.jpg
  • premium
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    NERDY TOWN!!!

ace+copy.jpg
    ^ me :]
    karlis.jpg
    martins+copy.jpg
    ritvars.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Racer: Thats damn hot, smaller grain looks better but it all seems a bit too blue.. that might be my monitor though or your scenes light, still damn hot.

Rens: Thats awesome, better pose/light should help immensly, as would a fuel rod cannon :D
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    premium - love them !
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Racer: mine is a major parts matching SA M1 with a serial number dating it to 1945, and aside from the really hardcore detailing (cartouches on the stock, proof marks like 'circle P' and the like) I don't know what else you can do.
    I think you've done a great job presenting a wartime example. Best compliment I can give, bravo to the attention to detail as always. I think the most recent version with the reduced wood grain looks best.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    @Acumen, Cute scene :).

I took you advice keres and made the phone slimmer, but I do want it to have some body thickness to portray that it has mass technology in it. I also want to add some type of holographic display projecting from the top, thats what the flip part will made of.

Here's a small update, I added some buttons, some on the top, some on the base. I also added a base screen, battery shield, and made the sides more smooth. I just noticed that the bottom part still has very sharp edge, so I will smooth that and add more stuff on my next update!

2lm8bdj.jpg
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Today I slopped together some ultra low-resolution crates :D
    crate02_preview.jpg

This collection took about twenty or so minutes to make. Eh?
  • Mind Traveler
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
    Some Progression on this Mudbox Warrior challenge over at CGHUB. Cheers. -ABT

KZ_Wip9.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Not meaning to spam
    I think I'm done with the modeling portion?
    1850MedicSS8.jpg

Mind Traveler, that's looking really sweet!
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mind Traveler, that looks like an awesome character! His deltoids seem weird, but who knows, he is a crazy alien character after all.
  • Medestruit
    parlowip.jpg

Little somethin' somethin' I'm whipping up. Kinda hard to tell what's going on since I've basically just blocked in shapes, but yeah. I'll cut out the detail for color when I get done with the basic stuff.
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Gave a character sketch of a classmate a try :P I'm pretty new to character modeling btw so sorry for bad topology at some places, trying to keep it as clean as possible.

character.jpg
  • StevenEgan
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Mind Traveler, that's awesome!
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    @racer

too much contrast. I liked the old renders better. I bet it looks good in motion though.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Spent a whole day figuring out mental ray and HDRI renders ... only to realize that after all, Mudbox just gives a more satisfying look with a mere realtime screengrab :D
    Therefore, alien doodle head! hehe

headlump_alien_004_small.jpg
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Racer, Pior, Mind Traveler, SuPa:

Nice work, really like that stuff

Rens:

I really like the sculpt you posted and the textures for the hard surface parts but like mightyPea and AlecMoody mentioned in your thread its your texture on the organic parts that doesnt really fit. Its too noisy (and a bit blurry perhaps?) That aside its looking nice!

Medestruit:

How exactly are you doing those shapes? are that vectors?

Anyway

Started detailing the helmet and blocked out another backpack here

(that head/face is a placeholder and my first atempt at a head so if anybody sees anything that doesnt look right
    ( alot of stuff atm I gues Oo) feel free to mention it :\

helmet.jpg
    helmetback2.jpg
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    9500tris, total texture usage 2x 1024 @ 512px/3m

wip11_0.jpg
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    @pior

I spent months figuring out mental ray only to switch to vray for the better lookz.
    try vray! :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    pior wrote: »
    Spent a whole day figuring out mental ray and HDRI renders ... only to realize that after all, Mudbox just gives a more satisfying look with a mere realtime screengrab :D
    Therefore, alien doodle head! hehe

I say you post the MR shots anyway, for comparison. Let us all see WHYYYYY the Mudbox render is better, as all 3 of those look real-time (Lack of AA).

Neato head tho! I'm getting a Carlos Huente vibe for some reason (I think the mouth reminds me of Pans Labyrinth stuff)
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    study study study

5297537044_235dced258_b.jpg
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    PixelGoat: that is amazing. Rendered in UDK or something?

Jackwhat: Nice! I wish I could draw landscapes. I like the mix of colors, it adds plenty of large scale variation to the scene.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Rens wrote: »

halogruntshaders.jpg

Will someone just get rens a job at Bungie/whatever MS studio is remaking Halo: CE before he explodes please :)
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    @keres Actually it is rendered in our own new BitSquid Engine :) Ill take the engine being misstaken for UDK as a compliment ;)
  • Medestruit
    HAL wrote: »
    Medestruit:

How exactly are you doing those shapes? are that vectors?

Nah, they're just hand drawn. I'm working in Manga Studio, and drawing everything by hand, blocking out my shapes then cutting out the lit areas(since there will be a lot of stuff in the dark due to it being lit by the moon, it's easier to cut out the detail than to draw it in). At the scale I'm working at, they're essentially vectors, though. It's at 1200DPI.
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Medestruit wrote: »
    Nah, they're just hand drawn. I'm working in Manga Studio, and drawing everything by hand, blocking out my shapes then cutting out the lit areas(since there will be a lot of stuff in the dark due to it being lit by the moon, it's easier to cut out the detail than to draw it in). At the scale I'm working at, they're essentially vectors, though. It's at 1200DPI.

Ah now I see! thanks for the insight :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Scoob : Yeah I can live with a lack of AA - a very tiny drawback. Realtime results in a 3d painting program are 100x more productive than having to wait for a render and reload edited textures, I think.

Stefan : Ive been trying Vray too. I can do nice architectural materials just fine in Vray and MR, but when it comes to fleshy stuff I couldnt get the results I was after.

I would love to get that kind of look :
    http://www.mikeanash.com/p/gallery.html

But as usual, the guy basically just says : "Oh yeah no big deal, its just an image based lighting" hehe. Theres much more to it than that, but so far I kinda gave up trying to figure it out! If someone knows how to achieve that great waxy material he has with soft shading, I'd love to hear about it!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    coalition.png
    Much progress on the coalition soldier
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    coalitionq.png
    Quick update
    completely finished now
  • Pedro Amorim
    just wanted to say that as the year draws to an end.. this thread delivered much win.
    and with that in mind i hope that 2011 will be the same in terms of awesome (if not more :=) :D
This discussion has been closed.