Home Digital Sketchbooks

SketchBook: Stinger88

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
In this sketchbook I plan to concentrate mainly on 2D and concept artwork.

First up.

I've been trying to find a way to emulate Markers digitally.

This is a sketch I created with some simple brushes I made in photoshop.

Time: 1hr

valley01.jpg

Replies

• Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad! I don't think it looks much like markers, but it's a pretty good pic. Perhaps it would look more like markers if your brush were a little bigger so you had fewer overlapping strokes?

The biggest thing I noticed is that it's much too light. You don't have any blacks in there at all. Even if you just slid the levels down a bit, you would see greater depth, but ideally you would use the additional darks to give you depth just where you want it.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks for the comments Pearson :)

Yeah. Agreed that its not exactly like markers. I'm finding it tough to get something that reacts exactly like markers. I've tried artrage and had a quick go in painter. Which got pretty good results. But i'd really like to get something that i can use quickly in photoshop. Its the blending and bleeding that photoshop misses.

If anyone knows a good technique for digital markering. I'd love to give it a go.

Anyway. Here's another quick interior sketch while im on

40 mins

cave02.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks cool man!
    I'd be interested to see what happens if you added a stage after this where you solidified some of the overlapping strokes into chunks of colour (like, go in there to bits with a lot of overlapping strokes, pick the average tone, and just block in a whole bunch with a 100% brush. Reckon itll add some punch! look forward to the next bunch :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cheers Rich. Will give that a go next time round.

Ok. Here's a quick sketch using a technique (devised by Scott Robertson http://www.drawthrough.com/ ) of overlaying marker sketches and playing around with the blend/opacity/etc properties of each layer. Then zooming into the image and trying to pick out shape and making sense of them.

I love working like this as its impossible to know what your going to end up with.

This one has turned out a bit abstract and still needs work to make it read better. But it'll do as a learning curve.

time: about 2 hrs

abstract01.jpg

and heres the marker layered sketch that i zoomed into and pulled out the image.

overlaybase1.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Snowscape.

time: 2 hrs

icemountains1.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the first two, they have a great sense of scale. But I agree with Pearson, they would really benefit by adding more contrast. Just go in and mess with the levels and curves and really darken up some spots.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks sXe Seany. Agreed. I'll keep the contrast more contrast...y in future.

Quick Crustacean thing

Time: 20 mins

prawndude.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    darn never show a paint with a white background unless if it is a important paint. My eyes are bleeding watching one of ur last paints.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    vofff, Noted. Thx

I dont usually leave it white. I normally start on a gradient background. I was just mucking about on the last one so it was an oversight. Anyhoo..if your eye's are bleeding i'd probably just turn the brightness down on your monitor first. Its not normal unless your a Bond Villian. :)

Jet Ship design

ship02.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool :) reminds me of flight of the navigator
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cheers Roo. Which reminds me. Heard about this the other day. Why dont they just make sequels instead of remakes. Its sacrelege...

http://akas.imdb.es/news/ni0799037/

Heres a Sketch I did a few weeks ago. Nowt special but I thought i'd put it up. I really like this silhouetting technique lately.

Time 1hr...ish

landscapedesertmountain.jpg
  • Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one looks much better! And I'm impressed that you keep pumping these out. Persistence is one of the main keys to improvement. :thumbup:

The thing that jumps out to me about this one is that the lower half is basically covered by 3 mostly parallel lines. I like the top half much better because the silhouettes intersect. Each one has a little hill that hides the line behind it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I also like the silhouette technique, but part of my brain thinks.. I'm looking at 6 big thick planes shaped like mountains. I do reckon it needs something more than just the silhouette rim light to give some shape clues. See the big rock in the distance, with some rim light shading inside the silhouette? I reckon you need more of that describing or at least hinting to more forms inbetween the silhouette planes
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks Pearson. Hopefully I can keep up the pace. Really enjoying doing smaller pieces for a change. I usually tend to overstretch myself and do big projects i never finish (Dom War 4 and currently i'm neglecting Unearthly...nevermind though as long as im busy i suppose). I get your comments on the parallels, will keep that in mind in future.

Cheers Roo. again, I agree. Adding more light and dark detail to each layer is something I will be doing with pieces like this. In fact I intend to learn to make whole scene blend seemlessly so the layers wont be so noticable.

Here's one I started a few weeks back as a silhouette picture and finished off with added lighting and atmosphere today.

I call it "Hello Crab :)"

Time: 3hrs

hellocrab.jpg

And as an added bonus

Here's a piece I did for the EOW over at CA.org about a month ago.

Gas Planet City: Project Olympus

Time: 5+ hours

eow120stinger88.png
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah man hello crab looks sweet! nice work :) the silhouettes work much better
    I think it was the previous rim light on the edges of the silhouette that made them look like cutouts, the light gradient in the underwater one and the extra lighting on the ground around the crab show the space nicely
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Crab is sick. Nice job man
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks for the comments guys. I was really please with the way "Hello Crab" turned out. I really like underwater scenes so expect alot more like it to come.

Ok. Here's what i've been doing the past few days. I wanted to explore some other ways to highlight and shade the silhouetted scene. So I spent a lot longer than I intended to on this pic. In fact I started to think about abandoning it as I was having difficulty with getting the levels half decent. I'm still not happy with it tbh...nevermind though. There's parts of this pic I like and parts that don't. Lessons learned and now I can move on and get back to doing some quick sketches...YAY!

EDIT: realised the levels/values are still off in places...Bugger it!

The Spire

Time: 9hrs!

thespire01.png
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice one man, feels pretty epic!
  • Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty nice! The thing I find distracting, is that there isn't a clear focus in the piece. I think that if you increased your brush size in the areas that aren't of interest, you would have less noise that attracts the eye.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cheers Rich :)

Pearson: Thanks man. I think your spot on about the brush size. Its too uniform and a bit scratchy through out. I tried to add focus on the central spire by increasing the contrast there...but I dont think its worked and it's unbalanced the Atmospheric perspective. Anyway...Lesson learned. I plan to try and use larger brushes in earlier stages of concepts in future.

This sketch I started with an Alchemy silhouette.

"Send in the probe"

Time: 3hrs

spaceexplorer.png
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have storylines to go with your sketches?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hey StephenVyas. I don't have storylines as such. But I generally like to think up something to add to a picture that will give the viewer a sense of a back story. It gives the scenes purpose which gives the concepts more believability imo.

Ok. Here's another pic. Wow...2 in one day!

Thought I'd do an anatomical piece. And what better way than to do a Zombie surfer bum...

I haven't deformed him too much, maybe he's in the early stages of zombifacation. I might go back to this and take an arm off or something, but for now here he is.

Time: 3 hrs

dudebrains.png
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you do mangle him up... one place surfers get torn up on is the fleshy bit right underneath the diaphram. Especially when we dont' wear rashguards. The wax on the board makes that area super raw.... I had a hole there for a good while after surfing down in Costa Rica

-Also another idea for your consideration could be, just after he was first bitten and he's floating in the water ready to turn into a zombie- A good ol' shark came up to have a bit of a nibble. Random flesh wounds from the sea life would look great, especially if they're still clinging on ! :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Sorry for posting such a small update on the Surf bum zombie above. Felt i needed to add a bit more detail to the face....So i did :)

StephenVyas: Like your idea of having him a bit shark nibbled. Might do something along those lines in future. A zombie shark would be cool acttually....hmmm..

I plan to do a series of zombies and I also have been sitting on an idea for a zombie comic which I hope one day I will be able to share with the world. It has a nice twist to the usual zombie infection that I think will be a nice change...but i aint telling.... :P

dudebrains2.png
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, That's awesome. I didn't say it.. but I was thinking Zombie shark the whole time when I was writing that post.
    Do it :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cheers Stephen. Expect a lot more zombies in future and some of them might well be sharks or other animals.

In the meantime. Here's a mock up Woodland sketch. I plan to use this as the backdrop for a piece I've been thinking about for a while now. I'll not say too much yet but it involves a meeting between two of the Seasonal Spirits. They are lovers, but can only meet once every "blue moon" or "when the planets are in alignment"...I'll decide more of the back story as the piece takes shape anyway.

Time: 2hrs

forest01.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like what im seeing so far/
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ey man, water and rock is really nice :)
    maybe on the foliage try mixing up the hue of your green a bit, think that would bring out some more depth- just splash some colours on a subtle overlay or hue layer mebes?
    anyway, lookin good
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cheers FlyByKnight and Roo :)

Here's a WIP image i'm doing for this week's CHOW over at CA.org

Brief title: The Dragon's Egg

LINK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2547320&posted=1#post2547320

Gone for a graphic novel approach. Thought i'd post it here and get some feedback before i finish it off.

dragonegg03.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    An update to the Fairy image.

I needed to make her younger. Anyway. here tis

dragonegg04.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like how this is looking. :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks FlyByKnight

K...finished it. Had to rush it a bit for the deadline. So the presentation and backdrop isn't very good.

See all the other entries here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176441

thedragonseggu.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hey Dado. Great feedback man, Thanks :)

I agree and absorbed it heartily.

I started the piece with something in mind and it changed into something totally different. Kinda lost my way with it and thats clear to see. And because I want to finish quickly I tried to cut corners...Laziness. In being lazy I gave my self more work tbh. I intend to keep things looser in future until I get the basis right.

Which brings me to...

DAN DA DA DAN DAN DA DAN! (fanfare)

ARTRAGE 3!!!!! (demo, get it now!)

played around with the watercolour and markers a bit as these are the tools I was most looking forward to trying out.

Bare in mind that my watercolour techniques are very amatuer in real media..so I didn't really know the theory for the blending and such...but I intend to learn.

All I can say is...Wow...I'll be buying this!

Markers

markers.jpg

Watercolour

Time: 40 mins

watercolour.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Heres another artrage 3 sketch.

Warzone

warzone01sml.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Merry New Decade to all!

Quick sketch WIP for CA.org's EOW

Title: The Dawn of a New Decade on a New World

env01aliensunrise.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Back to some modelling.

ZBrush 3.5r3 is my new weapon of choice. And its bloody good.

beetlesketch01.jpg w800.png

sculpt01.jpg w800.png
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Messing around with Grouploops

glwhite.jpg w940.png

glchrome.jpg w700.png
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice bug, I find your speed paintings very inspiring. I've just started to get into speed painting and matte painting I recommend taking a look at some of Hatch FX works, they've done a lot of paintings for big films and games.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks JaySmitt :).

I must admit i hadnt heard of HatchFX. Brilliant stuff!. One studio that has been my main inspiration is Steambot Studios. Check them out if you havent heard of them. They recently published a book called Exodyssey. Which is just massive ammounts of awesomeness.

Anyway. Sorry for the lack of updates recently. Havent really been feeling very creative. Hopefully I can get back on with it now. I did this quick sketch which is for CA's C.O.W. # 171-Giant Amphibious War Beast. I havent really stuck to the brief on this one..but i thought it would be fun.

Hope you like it anyway

iguana01.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol that last piece is great would be better on a pile of skulls in an african town or something instead of just a gradient
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks Ged. He is meant to be swimming tbh. Or should I say sinking coz that gun would drag him straight down...Anyway. Yep Skulls n that would look good.

Anyhoo...Onward

Did another "Giant Amphibious War Beast" (Unfinished as well)

crabzilla2.jpg

CgTalk Daily Sketch 2103 35 mn "◦death rides a horse"

35mins

dethhorse35mins.jpg

1.5hrs

dethhorse1hr30mins.jpg

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6434503#post6434503
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Ha, that iguana made me smile:)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks ENODMI. :)

Heres a sketch I've done today for CA's CHAR#194: Robin Hood

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2689675#post2689675

robinhood05sml2.jpg
  • Stinger88
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Quick sketch WIP using Alchemy and PS.

Futuristic Bike concept

bikem.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    CA's CHAR 196: Wizard of OZ

Zombie Punk version wearing ankle warmers....

:?

dorothysml.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe nice stuff :) , bike is really cool not sure how you sit on it tho ;P
    really like the robin hood one
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah robin hood came out well just his one leg is bent wierd
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Cheers guys.

Heres another Dorothy concept. Trying to do something like Warren Louw's pin up style. Still in the WIP stage though.

dorothyandtoto03sml2cop.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    WIP: Another version of Dorothy with the Tin Man.

dorothytinman2.jpg