Home General Discussion

Games Industry Mentor

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    An interesting talk on design! One thing I was still curious about is what input you as an artist may have? As is i'll probably make my entrance as a conceptartist but the thing that is most important to me is to make a good game, pretty visuals are of secondary importance if the encounters are dull and the content lacks depth.

WoW being a perfect example of this... while I love the art I find myself able to come back into the game after 7months and experience/clear all the content i'd missed in the mean time. Maybe im elitist or bias I dunno heh.

Eitherway, you did touch a little bit on how the design team are always interested in input, and im wondering if this includes most people in the company - from Q.A to Conceptart?
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey LoM, we actually finished recording our next episode (environment art) yesterday, and it should be up Friday sometime. We actually mentioned your schooling question on the podcast. Thanks for mailing in!

As to Jackwhat's question, My experience is limited to only a couple studios, but from what I have seen, everyone can help steer the game design a little bit. The degree of influence is what probably varies from company to company. For example, I hear Valve has a good reputation of valuing employee design suggestions heavily. The studios I've worked at are pretty good about seeking feedback from the whole company to try and find useful information. As mentioned in the design episode, your suggestions may not be used, but at least they are considered as valuable.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to here that its been recorded! I'm sure its gonna be epic just as the others have been. Keep it up dude : D
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New episode is up!

Fresh off the presses. This episode we talk about environment art! I'm joined with my good friend Mike Harnisch, Environment Artist at BioWare, and Adam Bromell, Artist at Relic and Head Administrator at Polycount. We cover quite a bit this episode, including: school advice, illustrative talent, what makes a successful scene, and lots more. So sit down, grab a snack and give it a listen.

http://gim.acanaday.com/
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I'm just listening to it as you typed that Aaron :)
    I see adam is in it!!

• toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Yozora wrote: »
    hmm never thought of making business cards before. Do people who have no job actually go around handing out business cards with a web address to their portfolio on it?

I suppose its easier than going around handing out your CVs or to actually print your portfolio and show it in front of them~ But then again the printing whole portfolio thing sounds like the best idea since they'll definitely see your work that way :p

Making business cards seems like such a pretentious thing to do. Sounds like something people will laugh at instead :/

Like Aaron was saying, you don't want to hand them out like crazy, but after talking with someone who you want to keep in contact with, its great having one unless you plan on them pulling out a notepad to write down your portfolio address. IMO the guy with the business card isn't pretentious, he is just prepared.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    this was a great episode! so much info in this one, thanks. Now I don't feel as bad that I can't really draw either :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not much of a podcast listener but yeah, I really enjoyed listening to the latest one. I hadn't listened to any of the previous ones before so I got some catching up to do :)
  • Taylor Hood
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yikes, I say um a lot!

Thanks Aaron, it was a lot of fun :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Gave this one a listen, really cool episode. Nice and chill with lots of advice for those of us on the outside. Thanks bunches :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    that was a good one! Thanks!
    adam wrote: »
    Yikes, I say um a lot!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Yikes, I say um a lot!

Thanks Aaron, it was a lot of fun :)

I didn't notice. It's the sort of thing you tune out when people talk. Everyone says ah and umm a lot.
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff I really enjoy these, thanks Aaron.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    he he he, all your "um"s are the same tone, and I love it.

You guys rock, and thanks acanaday for continuing this awesome podcast!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for mentioning me man, I REALLY appreciate it. You have no idea :)
    Awesome man, I really loved this podcast.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Hey chaos I have an idea, just put it in your sig, that way you dont have to keep editing your old posts just to reannounce it.

And at first I didnt notice much umming from Adam, but now that I listen to it over again I am noticing all the umm's :( All 3 of you umm/err a lot :p

Keep up the good work! These are good to play in the background while working on stuff :p
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    LoM's just a kid dude, cut him some slack ;)

And i don't know about the rest of you guys, but though I passed my public speeking class it was barely, F+.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    Hey chaos I have an idea, just put it in your sig, that way you dont have to keep editing your old posts just to reannounce it.

And at first I didnt notice much umming from Adam, but now that I listen to it over again I am noticing all the umm's :( All 3 of you umm/err a lot :p

Keep up the good work! These are good to play in the background while working on stuff :p

Good idea. But it was not actually what you think I was trying to do.
    I was actually just making sure he see's it.. hence the stupid red/bold/ and underline ; )
    Once again, it was indeed, a great podcast.
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you all liked the last episode! The next one probably wont apply to most polycounters, but it should be interesting nonetheless. I talk with Alexander Freed who is a senior writer I work with.
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Episode 6 is now up!

It's all about the story! This week we have Senior Writer at BioWare, Alexander Freed, talk to us about what to expect from writing jobs within the games industry. How hard is it to find a full-time, in-house writing position? What are other types of jobs that include writing? Really great info for you wordsmiths out there.

http://gim.acanaday.com
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    These are cool! fun stuff :)

never really listened to podcasts much, but these are really cool to hear for students, and aspiring artists.
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New episode is up!! Sorry if you were waiting around on Friday. As mentioned on the blog, we have changed our publishing day to Tuesdays. So look for new episodes then.

Episode 7: Portfolios!

You've been asking for this episode, and it's finally here! Our first dive into the topic that keeps you up at night - your portfolio. This week I am joined with Isaac Oster, Environment Artist at BioWare, and Riki Babington, President of Eat 3D, which provides some great tutorials focused on game art & the Unreal Engine. We discuss what to put in your portfolio, as well as what to leave out, common mistakes, presentation advice, and a lot more! This is our longest episode yet, with plenty of awesome info, so don't miss this one!

We also mention a free portfolio template that you can download and use! Isaac was cool enough to put together a simple, no frills website that shows off your work well. To find that, just head over to http://www.isaacoster.com and you can download the source files there!

• Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaron, you just make my day : )
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    effing sweet! the latest episode is exactly what I needed. i'm making my parents listen to this one... keep up the awesomeness
  • kickzombies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickzombies polycounter lvl 17
    acanady, i just wanted to say Thanks.
    awesome stuff.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the latest one, really nice information and the last 5 mins or so of the podcast were pretty entertaining to listen to lol!

Lots of good information to digest, thanks for bringing this one out!
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Still not up on iTunes in the UK. Looks like you've got some great guests on for this one and from the reply above seems like it isn't just the regurgitated portfolio info that many people are used to reading etc.

Really looking forward to listening to this one for sure. Many thanks acanaday, keep up the great work with this. :)
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to hear you guys are enjoying them.

Ha ha.. I actually almost edited some of the last 5 minutes. I was afraid I was being too negative or something. Glad you thought it was funny.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    acanaday wrote: »
    Great to hear you guys are enjoying them.

Ha ha.. I actually almost edited some of the last 5 minutes. I was afraid I was being too negative or something. Glad you thought it was funny.

im glad you didnt! :P
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Nice job guys :D
    I love this series!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome again!

+1 donor :)
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! thanks a ton Moose!

I used to listen to this podcast called Filmspotting where one of the hosts would call out donators and give them nicknames on the podcast. I always thought that was funny. Maybe we should start something like that.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    lol Dan Carlin in his "common sense" podcast does this thing where he makes up some sort of bogus disease that his producer "Ben" has for each episode and the magical cure is ofcourse listener donations. :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again sharing this with the friends, thanks a lot for all the hard work put into this Aaron, reaaallllllly appreciate it!
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Episode 8 now up! - Technical Design

For those who are into game design, but also into touch with their technical side, this episode is for you! This week I am joined with Will Wallace, Senior Game Designer at BioWare. We discuss what technical design is, the best way to get on that career path, as well as what necessary skills are required. Will is an extremely talented individual in his craft and provides plenty of great information. So don't miss it, or we'll have you hanged, drawn and quartered.

FREEEEEEEDOM!!! (sorry Will, I had to.)

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Aaron, are you guys working on Star Wars or were / are you working on Dragon Age / Mass Effect 2?

Would love to hear some talks with some of Bioware's writers.

Will listen to this when I can :) Thanks again Aaron!
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Aaron, are you guys working on Star Wars or were / are you working on Dragon Age / Mass Effect 2?

Would love to hear some talks with some of Bioware's writers.

Will listen to this when I can :) Thanks again Aaron!

Yeah I'm working on Star Wars: The Old Republic - the Edmonton studio handles the Mass Effect and Dragon Age stuff currently.

If you are interested in writing, episode 6 is all about that. As usual we stay on topic about entering into the industry as a writer, and what that means. We don't really go over the "BioWare" process.. although I am sure there are plenty of GDC talks or Game Developer magazine articles you could find if that's what you are interested in.

Episode 6 can be found here: http://gim.acanaday.com/?p=80
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh duuhh, I can't believe I missed that, haha.

Not too interested in writing myself, I'm going along the environment artist path as well, I just wanted to hear how Bioware writers go about it, I'll have to give it a listen.

Thanks Aaron.
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Episode 9 now up! Sorry it ran a bit short. We will most likely do another character themed one somewhere down the line.

On this weeks episode, we sit down with two great Senior Character Artists: BioWare's Pedro Toledo http://www.manufato.com/ and Blizzard's Vitaliy Naymushin http://www.t3h-v.com/, to talk about what it takes to work in this competitive job. Luckily the episode remained peaceful and no Blizzard / BioWare battles ensued, which hopefully proves we only have the utmost respect for each other. Unfortunately Vitaliy's rabid dog was not on board with the anti-aggression pact, and decided to turn on his owner. Don't miss all the action, adventure, and of course, great information.

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate the effort you put into gim :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Awesome, was hoping you'd do a character art one :) Thanks.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    character art!! Iam so excited to check this out!

thanks for all your hard work guys!!!:)
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I've got to say thank you too.I just stumbled across these recently, so I'm going back through the rest of them, but the character artist one is a great addition.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apologize for my crappy headset and the ferocious dog hehe :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    The dog part was pretty funny. He surprised you at one point, "ah jesus"...lol

After listening to this latest podcast I am actually feeling really discouraged trying to break into the character stuff. Sounds like there are so few positions and it is just too competitive.

The other thing I'm frustrated with is this dumb ass idea that I should only put characters on my portfolio or I should only put props on there. Some people say having a mix tells employers you aren't sure what you want to do. Well no goddamnit I just want to break in.

Who cares if I have a mix as long as the stuff is cool?

Also shouldn't doing characters have some overlap for doing props in terms of the accessories a character can wear? I hate the idea that I might be overlooked for a 3d art position doing props if my portfolio says "3d character art". I think a 3d character artist with nice looking accessories should be looked at as "hey cool props, and he can also handle some anatomy too".

Sorry for the grumpy post. Layoff anxiety is creeping up on me.
  • acanaday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's all bad to have both characters AND props. I think the assumption is that if you spend most of your time making characters (and perhaps guns or accessories), you might ONLY be good as a prop artist, and be a bit limited on other environmental work, such as building modular sets, putting together a scene and lighting it, etc. Conversely, the more time you spend on this environment stuff, the more likely it is that your character work will suffer. That's not to say it's impossible, but I do think it would require a TON of work to do a dual portfolio right. Ideally you would want EVERYTHING a character artist would want to see, as well as EVERYTHING an environment artist would want to see. Most people end up falling short on one of those areas, which is probably why you hear that "stick to one thing" advice.

To be fair, none of this stuff is set in stone. (as our portfolio episode hopefully addressed).. you may end up finding some art director who LOVES seeing a bit of anatomy or character stuff in environment art portfolios or visa versa. But my general gut feeling is, if you are going to do both, they better BOTH be awesome and comprehensive.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah man, i had a portfolio of just character stuff and my first job was as an environment artist because thats all that i could find, you take what you can get.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Cacophony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely invaluable info acanaday, thank you!