Home Technical Talk

Adobe Photoshop feedback

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh that makes sense, paint on 3, select all the layers you want its going to back to 3 regardless because that was the last action. so at least there's a method to the madness, but its still madness
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sorry I should have made it a bit more clear. It jumps back to the last layer you did something to (something that shows up in the undo queue) rather than the last selected layer.

Does Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Alt+Z do different things, though? I was always under the impression that they were the same function only Ctrl+Z alternated between undo/redo. I never use the Ctrl+Z any more as it's a bit useless for textures (as you can't use it to quickly toggle between the changes you made to your model in real-time anyway, unlike photo editing or design work, where I imagine that's more useful).

Hope this thread is still being read by Adobe :x
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Talon! It seems like Chris is quite the busy man so he might not always respond as fast as he did earlier, but I think we can still keep on compiling things here! It's nice to have all this info centralized in one spot.

By the way, I remember back when I was using an azerty keyboard there was many issues because of the keys 'inside' code (brackets don't scale brushes and shift-brackets don't adjust brush hardness on a euro KB, you have to use some weird combo of ';' and 'shift-:' IIRC). A friend just recently described me another KB/localization annoyance that I will post here soon too; so I thought we could start reporting localization oddites in this thread aswell!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    i also find this layer changing annoying what i do a lot (becomes second nature) is doing CTRL+A and after that CTRL+D to make sure that layer stays selected even if i use undo.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    colorwheel, plz, thx.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way the color picker works in 3dcoat is wonderful, I'd love to have this in Ps. It has many different modes, it pops up on a keypress and dissapears when your mouse goes outside the window. It also has an
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha you colorpick clouds.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Just realized this... wtf happened to the contact sheet script? That was a very useful batch script for quickly compiling images onto a single doc :( am i just overlooking it?
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    perspective transformation (and all other transformations) that are available for rasterized layers should also be allowed for smart objects please :D unless this is already available in CS3+
  • Nauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nauh polycounter lvl 12
    hey, i was thinking the other day that quick actions would be something really cool, like quick mask.

sometimes i just need to duplicate a layer evenly spaced, and i dont want to go trough the whole process of creating a new action, id love to only press one key, do what i want to do, then press another key and my action be played, done, no new actions saved, no more button pressing, and maybe have the ability to save that action also, but that as an option, not as a must. that would be great.

:).
  • ChrisCox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I'm trying to keep track. But yeah, I'm kinda busy.

"perspective transformation (and all other transformations) that are available for rasterized layers should also be allowed for smart objects please"

All of them that we can do are in CS4. We can't do all the transforms on vector artwork (because the vector rasterization engine can't do them).

Contact Sheet: moved to Bridge along with the photo gallery functionality. Or you can download the old code from the website, or copy from CS3 and use it.

The layer selections make sense if you remember that history tracks the document state, not your layer selections. Someone had it right when they said it went to the layer selected when you last did something.

And some of the undo behavior is historical, and the way lots of other people like to work (esp. undo/redo toggles). But that's why we have preferences for them.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This is probably very impractical but opening up the brush engine to a simple scripting language would be amazing.

Im not sure how powerful it would be if done though :/.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    - ability to toss out never needed file format types in the save dialog

- quicker access to exporting or saving to common export formats (web or game stuff) like: PNG, JPEG, PNG, GIF. THe way it works now is just to slow and often painfull

- fix of the clipboard bug that sometimes causes that image clipboard copies of other apps other than photoshop itself wont accepted or pasted anymore in photoshop (happened today twice with PS, I then have to restart PS).

- same stuff as before with a wacom tablet- way to often I have to restart PS because it does not recognize pressure sensivity anymore - very annoying

- a alternative compact and speedy GUI. Quite often I want to shrink down the layer palette because it's to bloaty and big but then I notice that I cant reduce it anymore. Flash has a nice feature which lets you set the timeline to a tiny mode so that you can better work with multiple frames and layers at once- something like that for PS would be awesome.
    ws_short_normal_frameview.png
    As for the performance - CS3 and CS4 often have unresponsive times, it will then hang shortly up when I change my tool or create a new layer or simply pan the canvas - some GUI wihtout the little xtra effects would be nice if it would speed up the response.
    This is even more critical with painting which is sometimes about 30% - 40% felt slower as a Photoshop CS1 or CS2 installation.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding pressure loss : I noticed that if I start Photoshop, but steal focus from it during the startup screen, I almost always loose pressure sensitivity when going back to it. Which is weird, since the Wacom driver seems to be doing just fine...
    (last experienced on CS3 PC)

Also after playing with CS4 for a bit, I feel like the interface became unnecessarily complex. Not the menu and sub-menus themselves (they have always been nicely self-explanatory), but the 'skin' wrapping on top. CS3 started to introduce a few things over the 'classic' look seen in CS2 and previous, but now in CS4 I almost feel like it's been going too far in terms in dockable things, windows snapping together, and also the kind of containers thingies holding multiple palettes at once. I understand there might be a benefit to them, but I wish I could use the old UI engine if I want to since it better fits my needs and is faster to handle.

And I found a weird behaviour in CS3. For some reason last week I couldn't edit my quickmask settings by right-clicking the quickmask icon anymore. I used it before (kinda cook!) but now it seems stuck...
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    animation - space starts playback is a pain, the way it conflicts with space for panning is just annoying. havent used cs4 though.

how about a "tiled" painting mode, like if you leave the canvas to the right the stroke goes on further from the left side (and visa versa). maybe someone has already mentioned that.. :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i guess instancing would be what you need for tilespainting and that has been said already :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisCox wrote: »
    The layer selections make sense if you remember that history tracks the document state, not your layer selections. Someone had it right when they said it went to the layer selected when you last did something.
    It doesn't make it any less frustrating, but its a little less maddening to know why it's doing what it is.

Maybe a checkbox to track layer selection in the history, or to not switch layers when undoing actions?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 to that. An option to retain current layer selection when undoing would make me a happy man.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    or like in some 3d packages (modo or silo) where shift + z undo's the selection, and ctrl + z undo's any other change
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Perhaps stated already, but after changing a layer's blend mode you have to "deselect" the BM window (usually by manually clicking the select tool and clicking on the canvas), before you can use shortcuts. Trolls me several times a day.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just a side question: I know that in the windows version of Photoshop one can select a layer mode or font from the texttool and then use the mousewheel or the up and down keys to browse through the entries. On the mac side however it always failed for me (some long time ago) - is that now possible?
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    why does select>modify>contract/feather not work on a fully selected canvas in cs4?

i mean this does work in cs3 - am i missing something?
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, they broke it. You can first do a border of 1 pixel, then inverse and choose contract/feather.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to see Filters layers-ized like they did with colour adjustments. I love that.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Perhaps stated already, but after changing a layer's blend mode you have to "deselect" the BM window (usually by manually clicking the select tool and clicking on the canvas), before you can use shortcuts. Trolls me several times a day.

Escape works for this, too. I must say I stumble upon this one several times a week as well, actually.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    where r u mr. cox? still reading this?

-ADMINS - make this a sticky no?

nyhow, 2 things:
    i suggested earlier how i'd like to save a tool as a preset and have key assigned to it, as well as being able to cycle next/prev through my tool presets. this will be the ultimate tool-customization option!
  • ChrisCox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still around, still busy. We're getting a number of repeat requests now.

Layer Blend Mode menu - the menu behavior is inherited from the OS controls. If the OS doesn't do it, we can't easily add the behavior.

select>modify>contract/feather - because 40% of users complain when it works one way, 40% complain when it works the other way, and 20% just complain no matter what we do. In CS4 it's close to the way it was in CS2 and earlier (kinda broken, but people got used to it). In CS3 we changed selections to be more consistent and more like layers - but not everybody got it.

"I would love to see Filters layers-ized like they did with colour adjustments" No, you really wouldn't. The support area required for each filter increases the area to be calculated for compositing -- growing with each added filter. One small filter might seem ok, unless you use it on a big image. Several small filters suck regardless of the image size. And with even one big distort - the suckage is unbearable. We tried that approach thinking "oh, it won't be too bad" -- nah, it was worse than expected and the beta testers begged us to take it out. That's why we did Smart Filters - to remove the filter from the immediate compositing stack and provide an explicit caching/update step similar to After Effects and some other compositing apps.
    The few apps that try to do the approach you suggest either restrict you to small images, or just suck really quickly. Also, the idea of painting through a distortion makes people's brain hurt.

"how about a "tiled" painting mode, like if you leave the canvas to the right the stroke goes on further from the left side (and visa versa)."

Photoshop CS3 Extended or CS4 Extended - there is a simple tiled painting mode in the 3D features.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't think anyones mentioned it yet, but one feature if SAI I wish was in photoshop is the ability to make a duplicate of your current window, and mirror it.

So you have a realtime mirror of your painting, and you can paint in either window. VERY handy-

closest I got in photoshop was an action that i periodically hit that copies the image to a new window and flips it, but its nowhere near as handy
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I am bumping this thread back up - we had another meeting with the Adobe guys today, and a lot of interesting points were raised. I thought it would be good to mention the Undo/history problem here too so that everything is centralized.

The Undo Dance problem :
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78932

I have a few more things to write down, I think I will have to make some videos to clearly illustrate the issues. But if you guys have new things to mention, dont hesitate and post them here. A few things to consider :

- Be very concise and clear when describing an issue, and give exact step to reproduce the problem. Some things that are obvious to use game artists might seem quite alien to any other photoshop user, so try to be very straightforward and to the point.
    - Order your requests and suggestions in priority order, most important first.
    - Focus mostly on things that make sense to fix and implement, rather than crazy bluesky features requests.

(And by the way : some stuff originally gathered from this thread 2 years ago have indeed been implemented in CS5. So yeah that stuff really works!)

Thanks again to the Adobe crew!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    here is my list in order of priority/ wish

Customise File Formats
    Be able to set the default set of saveAs file types. All I need on a daily life are PSD, PNG, JPEG and maybe TIFF. It would save a lot of time if I could disable any other file format from the dropdown menu to reduce it to just what I need.

Feature: Quick Mirror flip
    Quick horizontal or vertical flip switch to just the viewport. Painter had a nice way to bind something like this to a shortcut, esspecially for painters and wacom artists it would help so much if with a tip of a shortcut the image could quickly be flipped and back to check composition consistency.

Feature: Non visible export layers:
    Often for my work I need notation or guidance layers, more than just the sticky notes and guide lines. It would be nice to mark certain layers as guidance layers that are ignored upon final export/ saving. As a 3d artist I tend to often have a UV wireframe layer at the top of my layers or some other blend/ area guidancde layers that are not needed in the end but tedious to en/ disable each time upon saving.

Feature: Bind output path/ format to layer folders:
    Output path / fileforamt bind to Layers or document (whatever is easier to implement). By this I mean a way to bind a output file link to a layer folder so that everytime I hit a shortcut it saves only that particular folder to the defined file format to the specified path.
    Like when an artist needs to save a Specular, Normal, Difuse, AO and other material slots to different files its very tedious to do that right now.File > Save as > (choose fileformat) > browse for previous saved file > save > (want to replace ?) > ok should be part of the past for people that replace files frequently.

Smart Objects from layer Selection
    A quick or easy way to convert/ package a layer selection into a smart Object so that it can be instanciated (think MovieClips like in the Flash IDE, where you can convert selected objects with F8 to a instance).

Paste Clipboard Bug
    Paste to clipboard from other OS driven applications fails to work at some point forcing me to restart photoshop. Example after a certain time of working with PS (2-3 hours) sometimes and eventually it stops pasting from the clipboard say if I copy images using print screen, my browser (copy image to clipboard) and other instances. This is a very annoying bug that has been in photoshop for many versions.

Drag/ Drop = open Images option
    option to change the new behaviour of when I drag a image from my OS into PS to open instead of embed it. To some industries (print, concept,..) it makes sense, for others its a big annoyance. I am aware that if you drag it in the upper UI area it opens it like before but it would be nice to be able to switch that behaviour.

Color wheel picker
    When picking RGB colors for certain scripting languages that don't support #hex colors it would be nice to copy / selct the R,G,B (0-255) values in a single line like: '146,23,260'. This would save 2 alt + tab steps (I always get confused and frustrated with this).

Copy History to JSX script
    option to output the current history as JSX script syntax to quickly start a PS script draft. Similar to how Macromedia handled this in Dreamweaver and FLash (actually more streamlined there).

DXT File Formats
    Support for DXT and other Game industry compression formats. Right now to many artists depend on the kindness of NVidia to fix this in Photoshop. Also future molehill (flash) either ATF (Adobe texture format) or JPEG XR.

Color Wheel
    A color picker like the good old Painter has with a color wheel. Its available as a commercial Flash panel but a native build in high performance version would be better.

Drag/ Scroll fix
    Often when you select something at a high zoom level and want to shift or drag it outside of your current view area the scroll speed of which PS scrolls the view area is ridiculous fast or slow. Its almost like it the speed itself or offset is not scaled with the zoom factor.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    A definite yes to render's "Feature: Bind output path/ format to layer folders:" Along with that, the ability to bind alpha channels to specific folders as well. Say, I have one alpha channel that's for opacity and should be saved with the color/diffuse, and another that is the gloss map for the specularity folder.

I'd still like to see mirroring functionality as well.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    - Mirror painting
    - Adjustment layers specific for groups, not for all the below layers
    - "Painter" color wheel
    - Some "After Effects" filters will be nice too
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I'm still using CS3 day to day so maybe some of this is better in the later versions, but:

1) Improved 3d painting. I'd really like for Adobe to closely examine competing products in this area. I know some features are better left to other standalone packages, but at least being able to intuitively edit diffuse maps on a model would be such a time saver.
    2) Newer versions of Photoshop feel slow and clunky... I know a lot of people who still use CS2. I don't know what's going on in later versions, but I think we all would appreciate less bloat.
    3) Set mirror axis for painting
    4) Streamlined way of dealing with brushes (it feels like it takes forever to create/delete/modify brushes)
    5) Set keyboard shortcuts for brush attributes such as angle
    6) Bring back things like double click in the grey area to open files and right click top of image window to bring up image properties

I know 3d artists probably aren't as big a market as graphic designers/photographers, but I don't really know anyone in this business who doesn't use Photoshop regularly. There are a lot of other new features in recent versions of Photoshop that I'd love to use, but they aren't worth upgrading for if it makes the things I already use worse or more awkward.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I want to have a sharpen filer as an adjustment layer. It should work, i think they have something like that in aftereffects. Could you come back with what hey thought or said about this, that would be great, :)

Edit: It also would be nice if they fix so when you use clone stamp tool on a 3d object the place you paint gets slightly blury.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Improved offset : possibility to paint on one side and it bleed on the other side and a tiling preview, a la bodypaint.
    possibility to paint/stamp on many layers at the same time with respect for each layer a la bodypaint.
    possibility to use a layer, or group of layer as mask easily (drag drop in layer palette or smhing) a la bodypaint.
    i mean, look at BODYPAINT.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Based on CS4

- Better Brush management. You can't select and delete multiple brushes (unless I'm totally missing something here or it's in CS5)... And maybe a way so we can search through a brushset via name/tag.
    - Being able to switch between brush presets via hotkeys would be awesome.
    - Mirror painting on XY with adjustable axis position
    - Get rid of the GPU acceleration for rotating the canvas, as it's slow (on a dual Quad Core + QuadroFX3700). Don't know about you guys, but I'm having some major issues with GPU acceleration in Photoshop...
    - Color wheel (seriously!).
    - All the things Noors suggested as well!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I also have this problem with cs4 and have hade it on sevral computer even if i update the drivers i still get this message.

Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has
    temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video cards manufacturer's
    website for latest software.
    GPU enhancement cane be enabled in the Performance panel of preference
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    easy script building:
    I use a combination of different filter effects, blurs and colour corrections on certain maps and its a pain having to go through and add them each time. It would be nice to "record" filters and effects into a sequence which remembers settings, and then at a click of a button you can re-apply all the filter effects.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    probably already been mentioned but I have no idea why such a simple feature hasnt always been in photoshop.

FEATURE: make it easy to save brush settings, so for example I change the scattering settings on a brush and decide that I would like to always have it work this way, a simple save button would be nice so that just that one brush always has that behavior.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    renderhjs,

"Feature: Quick Mirror flip"

I set up a hotkey for this using the Flip Canvas Horizontal command:

flip-canvas.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

Feature:Layer Mask Instancing/Binding

Like JM young said, I use the same layer mask for various things and its a pain to keep them in sync across different folder/layers. being able to set a layer as a mask would be cool.

Feature:Smarter Saving When saving a file its much quicker to type a filename than select a format from a drop down. It would be nice to be able to override the setting in the dropdown by typing the extension manually.
    So if you type in filename.ext into the filename field the format drop down list will be overridden. So say the dropdown says .psd, but i explicitely type filename.png then it should save as a png.

Feature: Non visible export layers:

+1 to this. Something like layer guides in flash.

hakai: CS5 is the most responsive photoshop since CS2. CS3 and 4 were a disaster speed wise.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Mirror painting
    - Adjustment layers specific for groups, not for all the below layers
    - "Painter" color wheel
    Set your folder to 'normal' instead of Pass Through, and any adjustment layers will only affect that group.
    Also, cs5 has a colour wheel. I'm still on cs4, so I can't comment on its efficiency.

edit: also, as mentioned above me, there already is a canvas mirror, which you can map to your keyboard.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    option for tiling the canvas over the screen for easy identification of outstanding areas (toggleable would be awesome)
    (maybe with an option for making those around the center tile a little darker and an option how many tiles you want to have)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on CS3 so if some of these have been fixed or addressed feel free to ignore em, we'll get around to upgrading at some point.

1) Allow any keyboard shortcut to be written to any command.

Basically remove the retarded restrictions that have been hold back artists since day one...
    PhotoShopAltError.jpg
    I would love to replace ctrl with alt. The reason for this is that I'm left handed and having my pinkie finger on alt exposes more of the keyboard to the rest of my hand. Currently I have to use a 3rd party app that translates my alt centric keyboard commands to standard photoshop commands because photoshop doesn't allow you to bind anything to the alt key.

If you're going to allow custom keyboard shortcuts design it in a way that they can actually be helpful to everyone, ie no retarded restrictions.

2) Fix the stupid history back layer issue, that Pior talked about.

Thankfully Will Fuller came up with a great work around... however this should of been in a decade ago... seriously get shit like this sorted out before introducing any more bloatware features SERIOUSLY!

3) Introduce incremental opacity like you have incremental brush size [ ].

This way I can bind opacity to the touch strips on my tablet.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canvas/Selection Wrap
    Very simply, painting off one side of the canvas, passes over to the other. Same with other tools.
    Should also work on rectangular selections (too complex for non-rectangular).
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs wrote:
    a alternative compact and speedy GUI. Quite often I want to shrink down the layer palette because it's to bloaty and big but then I notice that I cant reduce it anymore. Flash has a nice feature which lets you set the timeline to a tiny mode so that you can better work with multiple frames and layers at once- something like that for PS would be awesome.

This exists.
    PanelOptions1.pngPanelOptions.png
    Sure its not a hotkey, but you can change the panel options to have no thumbnail and so use less screen real estate.

@Dado: A lot of that "photography stuff" I still use as well as all the digital painting stuff. Exposure, curves, levels, etc etc.
    haikai wrote:
    1) Improved 3d painting. I'd really like for Adobe to closely examine competing products in this area. I know some features are better left to other standalone packages, but at least being able to intuitively edit diffuse maps on a model would be such a time saver.

They totally re-wrote the 3d handling for CS4 from feedback on CS3. Upgrade.
    noors wrote:
    Improved offset : possibility to paint on one side and it bleed on the other side and a tiling preview, a la bodypaint.
    possibility to use a layer, or group of layer as mask easily (drag drop in layer palette or smhing) a la bodypaint
    If you have one of the extended versions of PS you have access to the 3d paint tools. Its pretty easy to set up a tileing texture on a plane in there and paint it directly. The 3d painting does support multiple map types.
    Try ctrl clicking on the layer or group, or ctrl shift click on multiple layers to make a selection of only what those layers are, the alt click the mask button on the layer you want the other layers to be a mask of. Course the mask won't be dynamic with layer updates.
    maph wrote:
    - Better Brush management. You can't select and delete multiple brushes (unless I'm totally missing something here or it's in CS5)... And maybe a way so we can search through a brushset via name/tag.
    PresetManager.pngPresetManager2.png
    easy script building:
    I use a combination of different filter effects, blurs and colour corrections on certain maps and its a pain having to go through and add them each time. It would be nice to "record" filters and effects into a sequence which remembers settings, and then at a click of a button you can re-apply all the filter effects.
    Have you looked at the "actions" panel? Its made for exactly that. You can even have certain steps ask you for settings rather than go with what you did.
    option for tiling the canvas over the screen for easy identification of outstanding areas (toggleable would be awesome)
    (maybe with an option for making those around the center tile a little darker and an option how many tiles you want to have)
    Best option at present is still a 3d plane to work on. You can have the plane in one photoshop window and be working on its textures in another.
    The 3d workflow takes a little getting used to, but it can work for this. I know its not as fluid as what you're wanting.

Also some of last year's suggestions are in illustrator CS5.
    Brush strokes along a vector path. Perspective grid preview lines, and instanced artwork to think of a few.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i paint across the seams when i put like 3x3 planes together?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Vailias wrote: »
    .Instanced artwork to think of a few.
    The powerfull thing about layer masks is that you get interactive feedback as you paint them. Using a smart object forces you to edit the mask in a seperate canvas, so you have no visual feedback and are reduced to guess work.
    If you could directly edit smart objects then combining them with clipping masks would be a great workflow.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm a little in a hurry right now, but someone wanted to "delete" the file types he doesnt use for the save/open dialog...
    found this here over at the Become more efficient thread:
    http://www.formatscustomizer.com/