Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mateba.

Alright, hope to get around to doing lowpoly/texture for this at some point. Modo render gives me boners. Just simple radiosity + blurred reflection. I might take some of the floaters and dig them out into the geo(the rectangle bits on the barrel for instance).

matebarender07.jpg
matebawires.jpg
matebarender08.jpg
mateba_max04.jpg
mateba_max05.jpg
mateba_max06.jpg
mateba_max07.jpg
mateba_max15.jpg
mateba_max17.jpg
mateba_max18.jpg
mateba_max19.jpg
mateba_maps.jpg

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Small handle? Can't tell from the angel.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    fasten your belt seats
    now back on earth is time for down splash
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    The words cold hard steel come to mind, well played.

I agree that the handle could use some lovin.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No thats just the angle =)

Heres some wires.

matebawires.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gona put a model maker tag on it? Might give it more *flair*
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres some details like that, that i would add with the texture, stuff on the grip, logos, etc.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when modeling, how small does something have to become for you to consider it a "hassle" to model something out.?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally its just a matter of, is it going to take longer to model this bit, or make a heightmap in PS.

Like the grip here for instance, would be a big pain to model, but pretty fast to whip up in PS.
    DSC05433.JPG

Or this logo, its pretty easy to just copy/paste this into PS, and trace it, turn it into a normal and overlay it.

moz-screenshot.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats true, i dont see the point of modeling in the logo, or text to be honost. Grip? maybe, but that comes out just as nice with some good maps.
    if you do model those things in, you can ask yourself if you are going to model in the scratches and dirt left on it.

Your doing a good job sir! like the Ivor handle better then wood.
    Only thing that would be nice to add is the small gab where the thumb is on the grip.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Super awesome stuff, love to see that one :D

And the render is just :poly101:
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <3 loves me some EQ
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love it you fucking moran. Cant wait to see some texture magic from you. nub.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    oh look EQ made a gun. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? lol

Nice gun sir. Can't wait to see it textured.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Very awesome good sir, that is all i have to say.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fasten your belt seats
    now back on earth is time for down splash

all systems go, prepare for downcount.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    YOUR SHAPES ARE NOT MECHANICALLY PRECISE YOU ARE NOT DOING THE PROPER ARTS THE REAL CRAFTSMEN MODEL THESE THINGS WITH THEIR ARTISTIC MERIC
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    damn, I thought this was a photo at first. The metal looks very convincing
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty slick man
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys

SupRore: lulz, if you were to see the wires for this little bit here you would have a heart attack.

Ok, had to add a few little details, for Per, or else he's going to cry about it.

matebarender08.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it easier to do high poly stuff in Mobo? Been hearing a lot about that program recently.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its easy for me because i'm comfortable with it, really thats all it comes down to. What you're comfortable using, i really like the UI and in general the way tools work etc.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Looks cool EQ, liking those renders.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expecting some damn fine texturing on this one ;)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    That is some skillful modeling right there boy
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Thanks guys

SupRore: lulz, if you were to see the wires for this little bit here you would have a heart attack.

Ok, had to add a few little details, for Per, or else he's going to cry about it.

matebarender08.jpg

I like this.

Sorry I know nothing of guns, that little safety switch (or whatever) looked like floating geometry in your wire but in this render it looks like you made it all one piece? If not the render does a good job with shadows & reflection.

I'm curious...what is it about Modo that is liked over max with polyboost?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah some of the floating stuff at certain angles is really hard to tell otherwise. The renderer isnt really using any hard shadows, which can be an obvious give away, and yeah it seems to work real well with the reflections for whatever reason.

As far as modo goes, its just what i'm comfortable with. I used lightwave for a really long time, and modo was just a nice natural transition from that. I've never really liked the way max works, it always seemed clunky to me. Anyway, i dont want to get into Modo Vs Max here, so just give it a try if you're curious. Its really an app you can learn in about 30 minutes.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    hmm, never tried modo, but I got started in Lightwave and LOVED how quick it was to do everything. . . I miss it ;(

I'll have to give Modo a try after that.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've been curious about modo for a long time. ID Software apparently loves it as they advertise it in their job descriptions.

Polyboost definitely adds a level of interactivity that is missing from standalone max so I can see how you feel that way.

Now I just have to find some good tutorials for modo. Doesn't look like gnomon has any.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo is great...but until they release an actual supported version for Vista, I can't use it anymore -_-. It has a thing against my laptop, and I'm not going to dick with switching back to XP for it. I know it can run on Vista, but it likes to crap out a lot...it's very touchy on the Vista subject.

Anyway, looking good thus far. Floating geo if done right, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference...and Modo's render system deffinitely allows for you to be able to make it impossible to tell.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    What's so good about modo's rendering system to stop floating geometry looking obvious? It's just not having shadows and having the polygons facing away from the geometry below it so there's nothing to reflect?

What happens to your modo in vista?

Nice looking model EQ
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I've got modo on Vista 64 and it seems to crash just about as often as it did on XP. That is, right when I'm halfway through UVing something. *fistshake*

Great work EQ. Can you maybe post the wires for that three step part behind the cylinder? I'm curious how to do that.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnarly gun!

I have a question about painting in normals with Photo shop. If you use Object Space normals, what do you use to convert a height map into normals? I thought nvidia doesn't support OS maps.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie wrote: »
    What's so good about modo's rendering system to stop floating geometry looking obvious? It's just not having shadows and having the polygons facing away from the geometry below it so there's nothing to reflect?

Yeah i dont really know dude, its a pretty simple render actually, all i did was turn on global illumination, and check the "blurry" tag for reflections in the materials. It just works out!

In some of the shots, some bits are pretty obvious, in that last shot, you can tell the 3 little circle bits are floating, they're brighter from not being occluded than what is below them.

Dole: Yeah, there are a couple things you can do, one that pior has mentioned doing is convert to TS, add your details and then convert back to OS (xnormal can convert).

Another thing is that, the front-facing side of your mesh will essentially be very similar to a TS map(as long as its mostly flat) and the reverse side will essentially be the same, but inverted. So you can use the same TS tricks here, and invert them on the opposite side, and it works out!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thats like the worst model ive ever seen in my lifr really is that the best you could do? you call yourself an artist!

lol joking aside awesome work man cant wait to see the texture to this :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here is a quick little sample scene, just some primitives using the same material and render settings that i've been using. For anyone who cares to mess with it, i dont really know what i'm doing with this render stuff, but whatever.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/499159/dicks_render.lxo
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are pro tips. Thanks a million!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All this talk about your render makes me wonder if anyone out there has made something where two pieces of floating geometry will render a chamfered edge together for you in the normal map?

If somebody could make something like that, gawd that would save so much time.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you saying? You could easily float a smooth edged bit of geometry over a hard edged corner, but, you could probably add in the geometry to make that edge smooth in the model in the same amount of time really.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I now see why people love modo. max sucks with even the simple stuff in comparison...this link says it all.

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/10267/

I don't really model that way in max anymore but I could definitely have saved myself some headaches in the past. Oh well...max's crappy ability to handle stuff like this forced me to try and be a better sub-d cage reference modeler so in the end whatever.
    What are you saying? You could easily float a smooth edged bit of geometry over a hard edged corner, but, you could probably add in the geometry to make that edge smooth in the model in the same amount of time really.

I think what I was trying to get at was something like mental ray's "round corners" option...except a new method that could intelligently blend (fake) a bevel between a small piece of floating geometry (like your safety switch) and make it look like the sub-d's were worked into the surface it is laying on to appear as if it is all one piece even though it really isn't.

mr_round_corners.jpg

This dream cheating method of mine would also work on a curved surface. I don't know how that could be handled. Like if the floating piece was pushed into the surface of the other and then the user would have to select/define both parts in some way as intended? Pipe dream...would probably be a scripting nightmare...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Junkie, it would take all of 10 seconds to extrude another edge and float a third object over to smooth the transition, why both with some weird rendering trickery when you can just put the normals you want there?
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Junkie, it would take all of 10 seconds to extrude another edge and float a third object over to smooth the transition, why both with some weird rendering trickery when you can just put the normals you want there?

3rd object?

Anywho I think you're thinking too small potatoes. I'm talking about a Kevin Johnstone-type of floating mesh (or many different shapes of floating meshes) pressed into a curved surface at different points all around...or multiple curves have you. Very complex sub-d's all around. Merging it all together with proper quads would take much longer than 10 seconds.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have no idea what either of you guys are talking about. How about some examples?

[edit] Also it seems like what you're asking for is very similar to how CAD applications work, from what i understand.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have no idea what either of you guys are talking about. How about some examples?

[edit] Also it seems like what you're asking for is very similar to how CAD applications work, from what i understand.

Yeah I think you've got the idea of what I'm talking about...except the cad application would create a nurbs surface leading to crazy unusable topology for sculpting...

I don't want to physically merge for bevels, just let the rendering look like it has...no matter how complex so long as the pieces intersect.

Anywho this probably has no place in your thread...I shall cut my bullshitting now...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, how about this. IMO this would be a waste of time, but you would get the desired results.

You could create a library of floating elements, and then render displacement maps for all of them. With that done you could UV your highres mesh, and apply those displacements direction onto the uvs. Thus giving you "real" deformed geometry without any visible "floatyness".

Honestly to me, having objects floating is not a big deal, unless i'm making models for rendering, and not for normals.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, how about this. IMO this would be a waste of time, but you would get the desired results.

You could create a library of floating elements, and then render displacement maps for all of them. With that done you could UV your highres mesh, and apply those displacements direction onto the uvs. Thus giving you "real" deformed geometry without any visible "floatyness".

Honestly to me, having objects floating is not a big deal, unless i'm making models for rendering, and not for normals.

Yeah I've tried that. Then I started experimenting with this using ZProject in zbrush. I'm just always on the pursuit for the best method that requires the least amount of time.

Anywho thanks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting the the low poly put together, normals rendered in max. Getting back to using tangent space for this stuff is like re-learning how to read, feck.

mateba_max01.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, low poly + bakes done. On to texturing now!

mateba_max04.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Frezsh!! ...wires nAO!!!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wait thats the low-poly wow i thought that was the highpoly for a second :P