Unreal Engine 3 - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thanks for the effort :)

and again a have an issue i can't seem to find help for on udn

in the anim tree editor you can define a look at to a bone, is it possible to get to that lookat via kismet so i can change it or trigger it at vertain points in a level?

and another one, i created a new package, imported all i needed, put the character into the level, saved the package, everything like normal, but everytime i load the map i get an error that it can't find the package, it loads every package in the same folder, when i load the package first the map loads correct, but thats totally annoying, so what did i do wrong this time? how can such a thing happen?
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! I have a matinee inside of a prefab. How do I call that matinee from another matinee?

Thanks!
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alas, remote event is the answer!
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, here is another one. When the models get far away from the camera (the necris in the below image), they start to glow their team color. Anyone know how to get this to stop happening?

glowproblem.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hm find out what shader they are using and change it or apply another one?
  • panic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    panic polycounter lvl 12
    Hi,
    When i save my level as DM- or CTF- and try to use the in-game editor after building the lights and such , the char drops down and loads his gun, after that i cant move shoot or even press ESC to close the window.
    this happened after i installed the UT3patch4. so i uninstalled and re-installed and still this problem came back. If i save my level without a game type [ie. myFirstLevel.ut3] and i run the in-game editor i can run and fly thru it fine. the problem only seems to happen when i save with a game type, DM,CTF

a fix for this is greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yep thats right

would be better to create your own mod, but you can do it that way, but sometimes UT is very buggy when you change that stuff for UT
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    I cant recall how to enlarge a fog volume icon. Where do i go to enlarge the dinosaur head so it is easier to select int he scene? Thanks.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Hey all, just learned how to bring skeletal meshes into ue3 and I've been able to resolve most of the issues I've run across with the help of this thread and some of the great tutorials out there. But I am having an issue that I could use some help with. One of the character's I'm working on is a female with long hair, down to about her waist. The character is already textured and has an alpha for the opacity.

I'm not sure how to get the alpha to work for the character in-game, though it works just fine in the editor. I know others have had this same issue and there was a suggestion earlier in this thread but, as I'm new to the unreal engine and the material system in it, I was hoping someone could possibly elaborate on how to uncook a MIC and set up the shaders so that the alpha will work correctly.

The only other issue I'm having is that I'd like the hair to be two-sided, if possible. It's just a character I'm doing for fun so the poly budget isn't a big deal, but if someone can instruct me on whether or not that would be possible as well (and how to go about setting it up), I would appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Crap, just figure dit out, sorry...
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting smoothing errors once my mesh has been lightmapped in the viewport, but when I view my material in the material editor with 'Use selected StaticMesh in Generic Browser' on my mesh it looks fine.

Any ideas? I baked the normals with max, since my initial tests with xnormal didn't look as good. Should I try again with xnormal? It's not the normal map, because it looks perfect in Marmoset.

[edit] Screenies to explain better
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Just started using ut3 editor and have imported all static meshes and textures okay but can't get to view any of the static meshes in the editor. They are invisible, the gizmo is visible after adding the actor but nothing else is. Thought it may be my meshes at fault but it's the same even with the game assets.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying pressing 'W' to toggle visibility of static meshes.

Anybody know what's going on with my mesh's normals that I posted a bit above this? It's got me kinda stuck.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hmmm the only thing I could really think of Glib is if you mirrored the texture on the channel where its using the normals, I think if its mirrored there, you have to split that edge in the lightmap uvs even if they are not mirrored.

usually it only really creates a lightmap seam, but thats the only thing I can really think of, seeing as it shows up only when you bake.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks glib, it worked :) Actually tried that before but neglected to realise that you have to have the mesh selected as I just presumed it would toggle visibility for all static meshes.

Another problem now is adding the custom shader to the static mesh, it works fine on bsp's but not on my mesh, can't seem to google the answer either. *Edit figured it out...

Had to right click the object in the viewport and select "StaticMeshActor Properties" then it was "StaticMeshActor" > "Rendering" > "Materials" > "Add New Item" - the small green cross. After that just selected my material in the generic browser and pressed the "Use Current Selection In Browser" small green arrow button, voila!

Seems like a long winded approach just to add a material to a mesh, doesn't it? I was stunned that there is ZERO out there that actually confirms this process, not even a mention.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm the only thing I could really think of Glib is if you mirrored the texture on the channel where its using the normals, I think if its mirrored there, you have to split that edge in the lightmap uvs even if they are not mirrored.

usually it only really creates a lightmap seam, but thats the only thing I can really think of, seeing as it shows up only when you bake.

That would be a strange requirement. No, the main chunk isn't mirrored in the normal map's uv layout, but the 3 little side chunks are. It feels like there's something I'm missing here though, since it's fine in the model viewer, and fine in marmoset... it just fails once it's added to the scene itself in unrealEd. I included that lighting only shot to show that the lighting isn't causing the artifacts... it lights normally, but it's being shaded wrong.

WTF!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Getting more problems here, sorry for my noobness in advance!

Lighting - Some lighting properties have been altered for static meshes along with the point light but the changes are not seen/updated in the viewport even after rebuilding the lighting with no errors/warnings.

Also when playing the level the player falls and keeps falling into 3d space, is this something to do with the static meshes being non-collision models? If so checked for collision in the properties (block all) but the generic browser still reads a non collision model.
  • panic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    panic polycounter lvl 12
    you can always just make a collision using blocking volume
    When i save my level as DM- or CTF- and try to use the in-game editor after building the lights and such , the char drops down and loads his gun, after that i cant move shoot or even press ESC to close the window.
    this happened after i installed the UT3patch4. so i uninstalled and re-installed and still this problem came back. If i save my level without a game type [ie. myFirstLevel.ut3] and i run the in-game editor i can run and fly thru it fine. the problem only seems to happen when i save with a game type, DM,CTF.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys,

A friend of mine is having a problem with his characters mesh in UT3. All of his edges appear as hard edges in UT3 and there doesn't seem to be much information on this problem.

His edges are all 100% softened on export from Maya, and all seem to be 100% hardened when imported into UT3. Any ideas?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Got the lighting sorted out, just started a new level then reloaded the saved one and then the changes were updated :)

Made a custom collision mesh from seperate boxes all labelled with the correct prefix according to unreal forums within max, now the level won't play, player starts can't be layed down but the mesh does show collision.

More annoyingly though the textures seem a bit blurry, had a good google and found that some people edited the ini file but there are mentions of unreal becoming unstable after this! Haven't tried editing the actual in game settings yet...

(Defer compression + compression no alpha checked, lod bias set to -1)

Anybody have any tips on how to display textures keeping the original resolution?
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    GCMP wrote: »
    More annoyingly though the textures seem a bit blurry, had a good google and found that some people edited the ini file but there are mentions of unreal becoming unstable after this! Haven't tried editing the actual in game settings yet...

(Defer compression + compression no alpha checked, lod bias set to -1)

Anybody have any tips on how to display textures keeping the original resolution?

Defer compression means your textures got compressed only when you save the package and not right away, saves time but doesn`t affect compression quality
    Compression no alpha again doesn`t affect compression quality, you use it when you have no alpha info stored in your texture
    lod bias and texturegroups on the other hand can affect quality

If you`re using 1k maps a lod bias set to -2 should work in all cases. With 2k textures you could assign them to the Skybox texturegroup(instead of World), thats what I did for my portfolio.I `m not entirely sure you would use this in production(because of performance hit) but for folio work where you dont want to see blurry textures this methods works fine
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious if anyone knows how to force a material to skip sorting, and always draw on top of everything in the scene. Is this possible? I'm using UT3 right now.

edit: I should clarify. This would be on a particle, I guess you could compare it to a lens flare.. Super bright flash that draws over everything.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    They have a lens flare in the Engine itself. Check out a outdoor level like Torland and it should be there, so you can see how they did it.

Not the best answer hehe, but thats how I learn and figure out things in UT3. Just check out what they did.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I don't need a lens flare, I need a material that acts in a similar way :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hm if it draws over everything i guess it wuld not need a "3d" sprite in space, so maybe you can just do it with a posteffect?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yeah, thats easy
    in the material set up, where you'd normally set up what type of model it is (translucent, additive, etc) just under, in the translucency rollout is a check box saying bDisableDepthTest. As long as you have a translucent material, click it on and it'll constantly be drawn over everything. Quite nasty!
    But obviously if you want it to be a consistent size, thats no good, just use a PP effect. It'd end up cheaper than a whole screen of translucency which sounds like what you are looking for...

anyway there you go, two answers.
    And for a third, in static mesh properties, you could force it's translucency sort priority to a huge number, but that'll only give it precendence over other translucencys, not all models as the first solution would.

I have a question

is there a way to do vertex animation/morphs for skeletal meshes? I don't want to do a rigged model, but a pre-baked anim of a deforming mesh. Uses exact same verts throughout, doesn't add or subtract any. Anyone got any info or UDN links for this? If it's not possible I've got a possible work around for it but I'd like to know the kosher way to do it, if it exists...

edit: cheers neox will log in to it tomorrow at work
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    UDN - Three - MasteringUnrealAnimation
    20.3 Morph Animation

should be what you need?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Bored, I will give that a go!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Neox: Here´s a question aimed directly at you. Do you have any suggestion on how I should set up materials in UE3 to get a black outline on my models? Cell-shading basically. I saw that you succeeded with this on airborn and I´m curious :)

I´m after something similar (but maybe three times as thick) and so far i´m having no such luck.

Checked out your TF2 shader tutorial btw. Wicked cool.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not him but try offsetting a zbuffer sample in every direction by whatever thickness you want (tex co-ord add constant 2 [x,y]) so you have like up to 8 zbuffer samples going 8 different ways, up, down, left, right, and all the diagonals inbetween
    add all these samples together (oh my!) then divide by the total (ie if you use 8, 8.) Instead of divide I found better results by using multiply (0.25 as I was using 4 samples)

Now do a check, take your 'blurred' zbuffer (all of them combined) and check if the pixel is the same as the original zbuffer
    so subtract the combo by the original
    IF pixel =/= 0 (ie .5-.5=0) then pixel=1
    You'll be left with 0 or 1, pretty much your outline
    then one minus if you need to

so basically all you do is get a blurred zbuffer sample (it's grayscale) and a normal grayscale, and run a check - anything that's not identical to the untampered zbuffer will be forced to 0, anything that is, will be 1, as a number divided by itself can only be 1. I think you can also do your check via a divide - so anything that's not perfect 1 you force to 0, as a number divided by itself can only be 1.

You can get better results by experimenting, and running a bit of process on your zbuffer before you use it (though this will bump up shader complexity)

Try offsetting screenpos z instead of zbuffer though, I get the feeling it gives nicer results (haven't done this yet as the editor build I am using is unstable :( )

if none of that makes sense wait for neox lol, but I think that's pretty similar, if not the same, as how he does it too?

EDIT: Quick question for anyone who's familiar with the workings of the material nodes. Is transmission calculated using light vectors? I have a dirty feeling it is, rendering it unusable on static meshes. I am right, aren't I, that light vectors are useless on any meshes that use static lighting? Given that built lighting is fake lighting?

FURTHER EDIT:
    Anyone have the math behind photoshop filters like sharpen, etc? I thought I saw a site with it once (not blend mode math) but cannot find it now that it would be useful : /
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks alot bored. That´s a monster of a post. Very appreciated. :)
    It makes sense and I get what you mean. Just need to put it into practice.

I don´t have an overly complex understanding of the material editor yet but that´s exactly why i do this ;)

Will get cracking on it and keep reading your post over and over and see what I can come up with.
    To you others out there. If you have any alternate approaches. Feel free to mention them. Learning is golden! :)
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    It all started while I was having trouble deleting a few mesh's, material's and textures. When I tried to delete them they said that they were "in use" and therefore couldn't be done. They are NOT being used inside the scene, nor do they show on the scene graph, so I am positive that this is not the case. The error talks about referrer's and what not, have no idea what it's talking about.

Anyway, I tried this trick of renaming the things I want to get deleted into a different package and then not saving the package when I close the editor. We'll, that did the trick except now the Decal group that I renamed items from (and essentially deleted) isn't there on the left hand side panel under packages. BUT it does show up when you go to use the binoculars to find a group when you import a texture. Also, when I import the textures I want, apparently they are overwriting older copy's because it asks me if I want to overwrite.

Here's what I mean:

2009-05-12_0136.png

So, does anyone know what I could do sort this issue out? I mean I could always just make another group and start over in there, but it bothers me I have some data floating around that isn't being connected right. I'm also worried it could come back and bite me in the butt when I cook the map. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT:

In working with Vailias yesterday on IRC, here are a couple of things we tried:

Cooking the package via the command line - didn't work, just hung
    Duplicating the items into a new package without the reference box checked (hoping to leave the old references behind)

Cooking didn't work, and duplicating didn't really do much either seeing as I can't get the damn package to load now. This is what it does: http://screencast.com/t/RwXbP1mUVjO

If you guys could help me with this, I would really, really appreciate it. I'm working on my capstone project for my animation degree, and this bug is driving me nuts and slowed my team down. Thanks in advance for any help.

PROBLEM SOLVED: I feel like a retard. Somehow this button got pressed and was showing "In use only" assets. 2009-05-12_1452.png Fear the button.
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    FURTHER EDIT:
    Anyone have the math behind photoshop filters like sharpen, etc? I thought I saw a site with it once (not blend mode math) but cannot find it now that it would be useful : /

Sharpen is an unsharp mask with a small blur diameter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsharp_masking
    It's basically the same as putting a copy of the image in overlay and running a highpass filter on it.
    You can further break down the high pass filter into a blur of an inverted copy set to 50% opacity
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    ae. wrote: »
    Hey guys im going to start work on a vehicle pretty soon for a mod, and i got a few questions concerning how i would go about it in ut3 as the mods for ut3.

basically what im doing is making a vehicle but also making it full cockpit too, the cockpit is basically the hud and to see your health and ammo and switch weapons you need to go into cockpit view.

what i need to know is how i would go about modeling and implementing something like this in the unreal engine.

would i have to model the cockpit as a seperate object? or keep it with the main vehicle model?

how do they do it for car games that use the unreal engine/ any engine really? do they make the interior a different object and somehow attach them both ingame?

I won't have my new rig up and running until the weekend (Hence no Unreal yet), but in the meantime i'm working on a motorcycle for UT3. I think the whole thing will come down to doing the same thing as they do with weapons...that is a high poly "top" view of the vehicle (cockpit + whatever else you decide to add) , a mid detail model that everyone else sees and a lower detail model (probably with enhanced textures, that spawns. It's been my observation that the workflow of one class can be referenced to use in another...the words may be different, but the language is the same...

Two questions....

1. Destructive environments that change the meshes/textures...Sounds like a morph.

2. A spot on the ground plane that "activates" primary fire (or alt fire) for the character (ala "death race")

Do these sound like they can only be coded? Thanks.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    if none of that makes sense wait for neox lol, but I think that's pretty similar, if not the same, as how he does it too?

just what you said i'm just not using that if thingie and i'm blurring in 8 directions not 4 and also added distance dependant thickness :)

however, asked before in another thread, what formula did you use for the glossiness of your specular (that image with the 8 spheres with different shadings), i never really found a good one :/
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing special man, I think alot of it is the clamping and corrections I threw in my PP. Other than that, a fairly tight (50??) spec power amount with a constant1 (1.x?) for specular. None of them were long to set up, just real basic functions to show differences in surface type, so theres nothing special going on :(

Couldn't you fake it with a dotproduct, though, then subtract x from that and multiply by, say, 200, and constant clamp it down to 1? If I'm right, it'll a fake highlight with a real sharp edge.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    sorry wrong thread
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Personally I think you should leave it...the added pattern for that area looks cool....but thats just me.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Nothing special man, I think alot of it is the clamping and corrections I threw in my PP. Other than that, a fairly tight (50??) spec power amount with a constant1 (1.x?) for specular. None of them were long to set up, just real basic functions to show differences in surface type, so theres nothing special going on :(

Couldn't you fake it with a dotproduct, though, then subtract x from that and multiply by, say, 200, and constant clamp it down to 1? If I'm right, it'll a fake highlight with a real sharp edge.

ah ok youre using the standard inputs for your specular, well those don't work when i use custom lighting, so i'm working with the dot product and had some nice modifictations but never really got it to be smaller and sharper, onlysame size but sharper, but maybe th subtryct is a nice idea, should test that :)

haha thats it, great

thank you, you'll get your name in the airborn credits :)
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone know if the background colour for the Material Editor is held in one of the ini files?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    under the render tab..
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    rollin wrote: »
    under the render tab..

I've taken a look and can't seem to find anything close to a render tab... maybe I'm looking int he wrong spot?

Also anyone know what version this is likely to show up in?
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsCompendium.html#Custom
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol saw that last night and got excited.
    Reckon it's been added by a studio in-house... not seen it in any of Epics builds yet (Gears, UT3) which you probably knew.

Neox; Awesome! cheers man

Question for anyone
    best way to draw outlines on a static mesh, mesh-by-mesh basis? Opaque/Phong lighting, can't use destdepth/scenetexsample, and camera Z/Sphere mapping is a flawed concept for me, I do not want to draw to the deepest edges, but just inset the edges
    Went mental, couldn't figure it out but hopefully it's possible?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    woah with transparency... uhm maybe an inverted and pushed model with a tricky shader would work, maybe multiplied shader for the outline and additive for the model itself? hm really hard as unreal doesn't sort alphas in the normal zbuffer, thats one of downsides on airborn outlines are always in front of softalpha, so soft alphas has to be placed wisely
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's what I feared man, I can't really think of any way to do it right now. Ideally it'd be on a general basis without any sort of mesh-hackery involved. Any other ideas?

that's also the problem I had with PP outlines, they'd be drawn over unlit translucencys.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i guess with custom code it would be possible but just modwise, all ways i can think of is the inverted mesh trick or fresnel thingie, the problem is, that won't work on flat surfaces

really no idea, these are the 3 techniques we tried out

do translucent models have normals? but it would need custom code to get those in to a posteffect i guess, i would have loved to use the worldspace normal instead of the zbuffer to create our outlines.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question (hopefully)! Is there a way to get dynamic "god" rays in Unreal like these shots in Fable II? Been thinking about doing an env with lots of trees. Would be nice to have this sort of effect!
    fable-ii-20080821102216901_640w.jpg

1 more

Could it be some sort of PP effect? I have no idea, not too familiar with all the PP effects and lighting tricks in Unreal. Thanks!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at a guess, I think normal god rays with a depth biased alpha on them, so when they intersect with geometry they cut out.
    Bit expensive at the size you are looking for though, I think.

There might be a better way to do them though.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ah alex,

did you try to not use the zbuffer but the scene texture as input for the outline instead? it will give you a outline around every contrasting pixel which means, in your case it might not work right, but maybe you can do it in the translucent shader too? not sure
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Quick question: I brought my character into unreal engine 3 and it looks like the textures for the arms (shoulders, upperarms, lowerarms, and hands) are much more blurry than those of the rest of the body.. any idea why this would be the case?

The character is broken up into 5 pieces - head, torso, arms, legs, boots. I'm using one 2048x2048 texture for the head and one for the rest of the body. I didn't do anything differently for the arms than I did for the other parts of the body when bringing them into unreal editor and applying the materials. The textures look perfect in max, but in the engine they're so blurry.. and only really on the arms.

Any suggestons for how to fix this would be appreciated!