Home Stickies

Unreal Engine 3 - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    I am wondering if I can use animated textures in unreal. I know that I can use the panner and what not but I am looking more at say animated tracks on a plane or such.

You can but its called a flip book.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is my problem. When I decided to import a door I made in 3ds max in the UT3 editor... I experienced some odd stretching of geometry.
    asdfe-5.png

Here is the wireframe in 3ds max.
    asdff2-2.png

Here are the 3ds max export settings.
    asdffdsafasfd-1.png

Anyone know what is going on?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot looks like it might need some manual cutting of edges to ensure the hidden edges aren't acting screwed up? Your export settings look fine, same as mine lol.

I have a question too lol. If I'm making a building, is it better to import a building as one complete object or should I import one/two storeys of it and instance it to create more floors? Would each instance have a unique lightmap?

I'm playing with both methods at the moment and I'm favouring towards the one/two storey import because I can make the buildings as tall/short as I need to vary up the scene. I'm wondering if I'll get a major performance hit or not seeing as their just instancing the geometry?
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    So here is my problem. When I decided to import a door I made in 3ds max in the UT3 editor... I experienced some odd stretching of geometry.
    asdfe-5.png

Here is the wireframe in 3ds max.

Here are the 3ds max export settings.

Anyone know what is going on?

Yes you need to turn your triangles so that they are draw in the other direction. That black line usually means that you have geometry that is lying on top of one another/ to close to give accurate vertex lighting.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    carlo_C it wouldn't be a bad idea to do both. Create legos to put the buildings together in game but also throw together some assembled buildings that maybe have less polygons so that you can use them in the distance.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlo_c wrote: »
    Talbot looks like it might need some manual cutting of edges to ensure the hidden edges aren't acting screwed up? Your export settings look fine, same as mine lol.

I have a question too lol. If I'm making a building, is it better to import a building as one complete object or should I import one/two storeys of it and instance it to create more floors? Would each instance have a unique lightmap?

I'm playing with both methods at the moment and I'm favouring towards the one/two storey import because I can make the buildings as tall/short as I need to vary up the scene. I'm wondering if I'll get a major performance hit or not seeing as their just instancing the geometry?

The one/two story method is going to be your best bet as one it will have fewer verts and two your light maps will look way better as you will have less mesh area to map so your light maps will look higher rez.

As for the instancing of light maps, AFAIK they will not be instanced as you each light map will have different shadow and light information as the light will be coming in from different directions/ sources.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick answers, I'll use the one/two storey method for the main buildings then and knock together some assembled ones for the distance! :)
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey just a real quick find that I think you all might like. NVIDA has made some video tutorials that explain in depth how to use the PhysX system inside of unreal 3.0.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/ue3_physx.html

The videos are really well done the only thing that I have noticed is that the version of unreal they use, "3.5" is not what is readily available to the public to use. I have been following along using the Unreal Tournament 3.0 editor and everything has been pretty close to what they have minus a few check mark boxes.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    3.5 I hope will be shipping with the big Unreal update soon.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    3.5 I hope will be shipping with the big Unreal update soon.

I don't think so as the code changes from 3.0 to 3.5 are massive so if a code merge was done it could break a lot of stuff causing a massive re-work of the scripts but I could be wrong and hope that I am.

I bought Mirrors Edge hopping that it would have an editor as its made using unreal 3.5 but no matter what I did I could not get the editor to come up. I can see all the editor files and editor.INI files. But I think they stripped out the code that allows you to access the editor.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe, yeah, I was willing to buy Mirrors Edge twice (PC and PS3) if it came with the editor... which means Beast :).
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe, yeah, I was willing to buy Mirrors Edge twice (PC and PS3) if it came with the editor... which means Beast :).

Haha I have gotten so many games just so I can use the editor. Actually I have never really truly played any unreal game. I just like using the engine because of all the stuff you can do with it.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yeah 3.5 is decent, didnt know mirrors edge was on it.
    heard things about beast that make me not that eager to use it
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah 3.5 is decent, didnt know mirrors edge was on it.
    heard things about beast that make me not that eager to use it
    Well, if you've used Turtle, then Beast is no different. It has a few quirks, but it's something I can put up with for the results.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if you've used Turtle, then Beast is no different. It has a few quirks, but it's something I can put up with for the results.

I just looked into Beast and Damn I have to say that is the shiznit. Ray traced soft shadows through static meshes alpha's!!!!! OMG that is so cool I wish my studio was using this uber uber cool tool.

Ohh BTW I did not know mirrors edge was unreal 3.5 till I looked at the shader libary and say the ambient occulsion shader. But since it uses Beast I can see why it did not ship with the editor.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    well in the end what beast gives you is directional lightmaps, so i guess you could easily ship a game with editor and those lightmaps without shipping beast too, just modding would suck quite a bit as you'll never get the same lighting quality
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    well in the end what beast gives you is directional lightmaps, so i guess you could easily ship a game with editor and those lightmaps without shipping beast too, just modding would suck quite a bit as you'll never get the same lighting quality

Wait I am losing you here as I have never used beast but your saying that its only true power is over the direction of light maps. Like you can control where they are going to come from and what lights source is cast them?

On the website for beast its says that it can do a whole lot more than that. I am just curious as I have never used it but what I read about it on the site it seamed pretty cool.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Directional lightmaps are 3 lightmaps that are computed with the normalmap, so you get something from your normalmaps with static lighting. Unreal does the same, it's not just one lightmap, but unreal can't do the ao stuff, gi, colorbleeding etc.
    afaik beast can create better lightmaps because of better rendering techniques, so you can just implement those lightmaps in our packages without a working copy of beast on the target platform
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Directional lightmaps are 3 lightmaps that are computed with the normalmap, so you get something from your normalmaps with static lighting. Unreal does the same, it's not just one lightmap, but unreal can't do the ao stuff, gi, colorbleeding etc.
    afaik beast can create better lightmaps because of better rendering techniques, so you can just implement those lightmaps in our packages without a working copy of beast on the target platform

Ah I see have you used it? If so can it really cast soft shadows through static meshes?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    no i haven't used it but why shouldn't it be possible? it's prebaked
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    i baked it in maya and neox got it ingame... it's totally possible, as long as you get all the static models into maya for baking.. shitty workfolw, but without beast...
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok sorry if this is a dumb question, I've searched everywhere, watched all the videos
    that came with my collectors edition of UT3 etc but no luck.

And it seems really basic! But here goes:

I want to import an environment, the ground for instance. Do I import the ground as
    a static mesh? Does it need to have a collision object with it?

I managed to import a ground object and made it have a collision object but I couldnt
    add a player start option to it...

On Hourences site (the making of Krodan) he makes an environment
    in Max but it doesnt seem to work for me. I dont want to use terrain or bsp, I'd jusr like to import an environment from Max.

Again sorry if this is like the dumbest question ever, I'm just not used to UE3!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    just add a player start node, anywhere ob your static mesh, then you should be able to run around on it
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou Neox - so the whole scene can be made with just static meshes?
    And does the ground have to have a collision object applied to it?

Thanks for your help Neox:)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ploon wrote: »
    Thankyou Neox - so the whole scene can be made with just static meshes?
    And does the ground have to have a collision object applied to it?

Thanks for your help Neox:)

Yes it can but instead you might want to use a terrain actor as it is a little more optimized to work with than a huge Static Mesh and its collision hull.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY*| wrote: »
    Yes it can but instead you might want to use a terrain actor as it is a little more optimized to work with than a huge Static Mesh and its collision hull.
    True. Also, if you have rolling hills and stuff, and you want collision, you're gonna run into an issue with Havok getting pissed about the number of collision primitives for that mesh. And possible crashes as well. Better to use the UED terrain like *BILLY$CLINT* said.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    it really depends on what you are going for, you can't just use unreal terrain for all terrains possibilities, can't use it for airborn either, only on closed terrain parts, which aren't going to happen any time soon
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input people!
    My reason for wanting to use imported mesh is that I'm having a bash at the comp over at game artist
    and I think it stipulates that no bsp can be used. I'm guessing terrain is considered bsp?

Also, as it wont be a playable level but just an eyecandy piece (hopefully..!) it wont matter too much
    that it isnt optimised properly. As long as I can manouever the player to a good spot for a clean
    screenshot I'll be happy. And once I've got the process down I'll then concentrate doing it "properly" next time:)

thanks again:)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone explain what a vector transform node in the material editor does? It seems to be changing the coordinate reference system?

I've been teaching myself unreal materials while I get some of my stuff set up in it, and everything is really straightforward so far (instant feedback rules!), but I hit a block when I was trying to get some reflections on my building windows. No amount of guess n test seemed to work, but finally I stumbled across an unrelated tutorial that gave up the goods:
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Image:Legacy_fakeSkyBoxMaterial.jpeg

So I understand why I want to flip the Z - it's upside down otherwise. By why do I need to switch the coordinate system to world coords first? What do these vectors default to?

Also, what's the difference between the reflection vector and camera vector? It seems that they simply have opposite signs in the X and Z initially, but with some testing (passing each through a worldspace vector transform then multiplying with a vector of 1's and -1's) it appears that once I get them facing the same direction, the reflection vector will give me strange compression artifacts at the edges of my reflection mask, while the camera vector will not.

I can post examples if that would help.
    [edit]Example of artifacts
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reflection vector takes in to account objects normals (inc normal maps), camera vector doesnt
    is one difference anyway

and yeah vector transform can transform a vector you put in, so if you put in a camera vector node and transform it, you can change it to local space/world space/etc space and so on
    think if you force a normal map to world transform its useful for faking lighting sources but dont hold me to that
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ploon wrote: »
    thanks for the input people!
    My reason for wanting to use imported mesh is that I'm having a bash at the comp over at game artist
    and I think it stipulates that no bsp can be used. I'm guessing terrain is considered bsp?

Also, as it wont be a playable level but just an eyecandy piece (hopefully..!) it wont matter too much
    that it isnt optimised properly. As long as I can manouever the player to a good spot for a clean
    screenshot I'll be happy. And once I've got the process down I'll then concentrate doing it "properly" next time:)

thanks again:)

No terrain is not BSP or even remotely related to terrain so you should be good to use it. As for making a "Eye Candy" level don't go to crazy on the triangles and the materials.

Just some food for though...The more practice you get making something that is awesome 'Eye Candy' and runs at an decent frame rate the better off you will be. I cant tell you how many times I have talked to students or seen demo reels that show me great work but its totally unusable in any game engine as its to high poly. So don't do it later when you can do it now you will be better off.
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks *Billy$ - I hear what you're saying and intend to follow that process.
    I'm using waaay less polys than are available, lightmaps are tiny and it looks
    ok so far with the first building in. I've only worked with an in house engine
    before that used normals etc but...well it was a strange beast heheh.

Just trying to get a feel for it and you guys are a great help, thankyou:thumbup:
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stupid question here: how do I open the console? I'm trying to take screenshots with 'tiledshot' but typing it into the dropdown box in the bottom left and hitting enter does nothing that I can see. Hitting tilde or tab as this page suggests also seems to do nothing.

Suggestions?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    glib wrote: »
    Stupid question here: how do I open the console? I'm trying to take screenshots with 'tiledshot' but typing it into the dropdown box in the bottom left and hitting enter does nothing that I can see. Hitting tilde or tab as this page suggests also seems to do nothing.

Suggestions?

ummm, are you in game, or just in the editor? If in game, make sure you name your level "DM-something" that way unreal will recognize it as a deathmatch map and allow you to open console n all that fun stuff
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    .....only on closed terrain parts.....

What requirement does this refer to specifically? I dont understand why terrain cannot be used in open parts? Can you explain the open / closed parameters?
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricV wrote: »
    ummm, are you in game, or just in the editor? If in game, make sure you name your level "DM-something" that way unreal will recognize it as a deathmatch map and allow you to open console n all that fun stuff
    D'oh! I knew it would turn out to be a stupid question. I was trying to do it from the editor, not the game itself. Jumping into spectator mode gives me a console when I hit tilde, as advertised.

Thanks for the help.
  • MBT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MBT
    Glib, you can also jump into PIE and hit tab to bring up the console. It's much easier than having to kill the editor and run the game.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    What requirement does this refer to specifically? I dont understand why terrain cannot be used in open parts? Can you explain the open / closed parameters?

we want to create good looking floating islands, so unless it's a terrain where you can't see the outer rim from outside, and therefore a closed terrain, we can't use it.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got one....anybody know If its possible to adjust the field of view/depth of field within unreal? I remember searching around on the udn a while ago and came up with nothing
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    if you want to set the depth of field for the whole level, the settings are

view -> World Properties -> DefaultPostProcessSettings

or if you want to do it in a certain areas, use a PostProcessVolume to achieve that.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you could also setup you own postprocess, you need to change the defaultengine.ini or something like that to load your postprocess package instead of the normal one
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet, thanks guys
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah for stuff like that it should all be in the default post process set up
    camera FOV I'm not sure about, I know you can change it within matinee but it seems like a pain in the arse, theres probably a quick and easy way to change the fov with one input field tbh.
    I know if you delve in to the ini's you can change the editor FOV and so on

edit: I actually have a question as well; anyone got a list of how expensive each shader widget is? Like, a table of what's more expensive in practical terms? I know that bump offset is quite nasty sometimes, but I'd like to know them all before I start writing large shaders.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    anyone know of any tutorials, or any doccumentation AT ALL, of how to get a custom rig into UnrealEd with working animations?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    just export psa and psk open the skeletal mesh and assign the animation o.o
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    eat 3d just released free tutorials on that subject using ActorX Mr.Gir.

here you go: http://eat3d.com/free
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey duders, quick question in regards to particles. In cascade I am trying to get arching smoke trails off of debris. I have placeholder cube meshes spawning in place of the default alpha planes and got them to fly up and arch downwards and bounce and shit so thats all gravy.

I could have sworn ive seen it before where you can have particles spawn a trail of other particles but ill be damned if I can figure out how, iv tried adding a spawn node a trail node etc but nothing is happening.

any ideas fellas?

EDIT: found the answer over at 3D buzz on their free how do i? videos, you just gotta sign up to view them an awesome resource. just scroll down the vids section on the side menu and go to unreal tech. these dudes really know their shit, they made the ut3 collectors edition tut dvd.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have a question as well; anyone got a list of how expensive each shader widget is? Like, a table of what's more expensive in practical terms? I know that bump offset is quite nasty sometimes, but I'd like to know them all before I start writing large shaders.

Not that I know of but inside of the material editor it will tell you how many instructions it takes to make the shader. For example when you look at a shader in the GB you should see at the bottom of the shader a number like 37/47 instructions with 3 textures. This is the amount of instructions that are needed to power the shader along with how many textures it uses.

I do know the LERP's are one of the most expensive things that you can use epically when it comes to terrain so stay away from those. Also don't forget that if you need to change the value(referring to using a vector to color of something) of something do it in Photoshop and not in the material editor as it will blot your shader.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah every little helps I guess, but can it not be cheaper some times to use a grayscale image (or even three/four in one texture call) and colour those in through constant 3's in the shader, rather than 3-4 seperate, full colour textures?

As for Lerps, didnt know that they're that expensive. Certainly I've seen terrain shaders be expensive :(:( But lerps are just really useful - can't really see a work around from them?

any idea on amount of instructions to aim for, as a general thing? I've always been aiming for 80 or under, as a sort of random figure, with 100+ giving me a heart attack. Obviously it all depends on shader complexity in viewport I suppose...