Home Stickies

Unreal Engine 3 - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to set up a flat gray background that I can see in-game, so I can use the tiledshot command for screens? I tried just setting up a bunch of grey bsp around the models I want to show, but then I can't use any directional lights.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    use a giant inverted box, sphere whatever with a grey unlit shader applied?
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah your right about the LERPS they are use full but expensive to use. I work on an MMO and I have had it pounded into my head to not use them as the game has to scale from shader model 3.0 to 2.0 and for some reason they cant scale from one to the other as the LERP is to many instructions for shader model 2.0 ...or that's what the shader artist who makes our shader’s told me when I tried to use one.

I am not really sure about the performance of grey scale images colored by using the v3 constants...While that is a great idea I was referring to trying to color correct something because you are to lazy to go into Photoshop and actually fix it...I don’t think that the shader system should make up for your broken art work but that's just me.

As we are an MMO most of ours are around 45-60 with anywhere from 1 to 5 texture inputs. The character ones are around 96 but I am not sure if they are the ship ones or still the debug ones. I have seen epic ones (UT3 and GOW 1 and 2) that are 100+ and a lot of what they are doing I have been told could be done in Photoshop. Remember shader’s are one of the most expensive things you call on the graphics card kind of like static meshes used to be. No matter how 'next-gen' something is balance is always key the limits you have set for your self sound totally reasonable stay with in them and you should have no problems.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    use a giant inverted box, sphere whatever with a grey unlit shader applied?

I would do the same thing.
  • izu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izu polycounter lvl 11
    Hi,

I have some questions! :)

1) I'm working on a scene for a school project ( you can watch it here ) it's a platform kind of, and I want it all to spin around slowly so I can fraps it when I'm done.
    I know how to do a turn table thanks to eat3D's free tutorial about this. My question is, how would I go about doing this with maybe 30+ items in there?

Is there some way I can group it all, and then rotate it?
    Or, could I put the pivot of all the objects at the centre of the grid and then plug them all in, one by one, in the kismet that makes it rotate?
    Or should I just go about it some other way?

I haven't begun playing with kismets at all yet, just wanted some heads up info now so I won't get stuck with the deadline closing in.

2) Second question, when I want to close U3ed, sometimes it asks if I want to save textures.upk (and other similar .upk packages). What are these .upk files? It's nothing I've created so I just tend to click no. Are these files important?

Thanks in advance!
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izu wrote: »
    Hi,

I have some questions! :)

1) I'm working on a scene for a school project ( you can watch it here ) it's a platform kind of, and I want it all to spin around slowly so I can fraps it when I'm done.
    I know how to do a turn table thanks to eat3D's free tutorial about this. My question is, how would I go about doing this with maybe 30+ items in there?

Is there some way I can group it all, and then rotate it?
    Or, could I put the pivot of all the objects at the centre of the grid and then plug them all in, one by one, in the kismet that makes it rotate?
    Or should I just go about it some other way?

I haven't begun playing with kismets at all yet, just wanted some heads up info now so I won't get stuck with the deadline closing in.

2) Second question, when I want to close U3ed, sometimes it asks if I want to save textures.upk (and other similar .upk packages). What are these .upk files? It's nothing I've created so I just tend to click no. Are these files important?

Thanks in advance!

1: You could pre-fab all 30 items together and then rotate the pre-fab but I don't know if epic allows you to animate pre-fabs. You could also due what your are talking about by moving all the pivots to the center grind in your 3d program and then export them one by one but this is going to take a long time I would just attach all pieces togther in your 3d program and import the whole mesh with all the pieces and rotate that.

2: When Unreal asks you to save something this usally means that the package got marked dirty meaning that you might have adjusted something or cliked on or off a check mark box. I get this alot with epic packages after I have been poking around in them and then close down its normal so dont save them and you will be all good.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys.

I'm having this weird problem. Yesterday I started to make a BSP of a new UT3 map. I've made roughly 15 BSP blocks... non of them are intersecting. When I setup my builder brush in the next spot... and hit control + A to build it... some of my previous BSP disappears. Anyone know what is happening?

Thanks
  • izu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izu polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you |*BILLY$CLINT*|

All the meshes in that scene are static so I don't think it's possible to animate them (what I know).
    So, I tried doing a matinee in kismet instead, I can't say it's going too good animating a camera. This leads me to a new question:

Is it possible to animate a camera in Maya and export it out to Unreal 3 Editor? With ActorX maybe?
    I tried google but didn't find anything of use.
  • quyeno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    Hi guy,

just starting out with unreal editor :)

I was wondering what settings i should use in Maya and Max gird setting/metrics to match the units in the unreal editor? also how many units tall is a character in unreal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
    Quyeno
  • JackyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackyBoy polycounter lvl 10
    I read this on hourences' website:
    Hourences wrote:
    Your 3D package should preferably use a type of Generic Units as grid size. The actual unit size doesn't really matter in the end though, as whatever unit you had in the 3D package will simply translate as 1 unit in Unreal. 400 Units width in the 3D package means 400 units in Unreal. Usually the player size is between 80 and 250 units. This depends from game to game, as the size of a character is freely customizable.

Or here is a site that shows you.
    Setting up 3DS Max for Unreal

Hope that helped
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you |*BILLY*|

All the meshes in that scene are static so I don't think it's possible to animate them (what I know).
    So, I tried doing a matinee in kismet instead, I can't say it's going too good animating a camera. This leads me to a new question:

Is it possible to animate a camera in Maya and export it out to Unreal 3 Editor? With ActorX maybe?
    I tried google but didn't find anything of use.

You have to convert your static mesh to a mover also called a KActor to get it to move. With the KActor you can animate(Move around the scene not deform) your static mesh moving but that is pretty much it.

AFAIK you can not export a camera animation from Maya Via ActorX with UT3. This does not mean that you can't do it, it means that this version of unreal can not do it. I think if you go to 3d Buzz they have video tutorials about this very topic or at least you might find something that can help you out. You have to register to get the full videos but registration is free and there is a lot of good stuff on there. In fact that is where I have started my python learing as the video tutorials are just that good.

Don't feel to bad I am an experienced unreal user and even I have trouble sometimes getting the matinee editor working correctly just keep up at it and soon you will be a master.
  • quyeno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    JackyBoy wrote: »
    I read this on hourences' website:

Or here is a site that shows you.
    Setting up 3DS Max for Unreal

Hope that helped

nice one mate, thanks for your help. :)

two thumbs thresh d^_^b

quyeno
  • izu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    izu polycounter lvl 11
    |*BILLY*| wrote: »
    You have to convert your static mesh to a mover also called a KActor to get it to move. With the KActor you can animate(Move around the scene not deform) your static mesh moving but that is pretty much it.

AFAIK you can not export a camera animation from Maya Via ActorX with UT3. This does not mean that you can't do it, it means that this version of unreal can not do it. I think if you go to 3d Buzz they have video tutorials about this very topic or at least you might find something that can help you out. You have to register to get the full videos but registration is free and there is a lot of good stuff on there. In fact that is where I have started my python learing as the video tutorials are just that good.

Don't feel to bad I am an experienced unreal user and even I have trouble sometimes getting the matinee editor working correctly just keep up at it and soon you will be a master.

Thanks again for taking the time, |*BILLY$CLINT*| :)

I decided to fraps it manually, together with some console commands that let me fly, some slowmo and a steady hand it looked pretty nice. And I had more freedom with frapsing what I wanted. But I'll keep all this in mind for the future. Thanks again!
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for taking the time, |*BILLY*| :)

I decided to fraps it manually, together with some console commands that let me fly, some slowmo and a steady hand it looked pretty nice. And I had more freedom with frapsing what I wanted. But I'll keep all this in mind for the future. Thanks again!

Hey no problems it was my pleasure to help you out and I am glad that I could.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    I'm working on importing a character into Unreal, but the textures are on the second map channel because they were projected in Max. I tried moving them to the first map channel slot, but unfortunately Max isn't cooperating. Is there any way to use multiple UV channels in Unreal, specificially when using a Material Instance Constant?
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle wrote: »
    I'm working on importing a character into Unreal, but the textures are on the second map channel because they were projected in Max. I tried moving them to the first map channel slot, but unfortunately Max isn't cooperating. Is there any way to use multiple UV channels in Unreal, specifically when using a Material Instance Constant?

Slap all your textures into a multi-sub object and then make sure the mesh has the proper material ID's applied to match the multi-sub object ID that references the texture that is on that section of the mesh.

Now delete all the textures that are on your mesh and apply the multi-sub object material to the now texture less mesh. You want to do this because A, it helps make sure you did not miss anything or that the wrong texture is applied to the wrong ID slot and B, This will make sure that when you open this in the animation browser it will retain it's material slots so all you will have to do is load the material.

Then export to .PSK format using Actor X

Open unreal import your .PSK data from 3Ds Max into the package with your materials that are needed.

Double click on the .PSK to open it in the Animation browser.

To the left of the window that is displaying your object you should see two properties box that have three tabs each and are stacked one on top of another.

You want the one on the bottom, it should default to Anim Sequence in the tab name when you open the animation browser.

From the tab on the left select mesh and the first input you see is where you would put your multiple textures for your character. Again the materials you assign to the inputs relate to the ID you gave the multi-sub in Max.

Hope this helps let me know if it did not.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    er in your material you can just use tex co ord in a shader and set co-ordinate index to X (in your case, 1)
    then plug that in to your maps UV nub

is that what you were after?
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    er in your material you can just use tex co ord in a shader and set co-ordinate index to X (in your case, 1)
    then plug that in to your maps UV nub

is that what you were after?

I've tried messing with the TexCoord, but for some reason when I change the value of the coordinate index it tiles my texture.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    MegaMoogle: remember unreal is zero based for most things so Uv channel one is actually 0 and channel 2 would be 1 in the coordinate index inside unreal etc

its probably showing up as tiling because it is looking for a uv channel that doesnt exist.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Yeah your right about the LERPS they are use full but expensive to use. I work on an MMO and I have had it pounded into my head to not use them as the game has to scale from shader model 3.0 to 2.0 and for some reason they cant scale from one to the other as the LERP is to many instructions for shader model 2.0 ...or that's what the shader artist who makes our shader’s told me when I tried to use one.

Well a MMO is usually a lot lower spec than next gen games so fancy shader tricks are probably a bad idea. However can't you use the fallback material system? It's supposed to let you define a simpler material that doesn't have the instructions not supported by the lower spec. UE3 should automatically scale between the two.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Well a MMO is usually a lot lower spec than next gen games so fancy shader tricks are probably a bad idea. However can't you use the fallback material system? It's supposed to let you define a simpler material that doesn't have the instructions not supported by the lower spec. UE3 should automatically scale between the two.

Yes that would be the case but the material system has been completely re-written in house to make use of material instances. But now that I think about it, I think the shader artist meant don't use LERP'S on terrain materials.
  • nubnub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have mirrored geometry in mesh that I imported into unreal ed.
    I can clearly see a seam and black gradient.
    how do I fix that.

How come my normal maps look good in 3dsmax and once loaded in unreal the normal map look washed out. its lacking in depth.

whats the cure?

I tried using bump-offset to increase depth.
    question : How does the heightmap that should be included in the alpha slot of a normal map look like?
    Can a simple occlusion map do the trick?
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the help, I was successfully able to get my character imported! :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hi everyone!

I´ve been trying to delete some assets from my package but the editor says they cant be deleted because they are already in use somewhere. I removed all instances of those objects in my level but I still can´t remove them from the package. Does anyone know how to work around that?
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I´ve been trying to delete some assets from my package but the editor says they cant be deleted because they are already in use somewhere. I removed all instances of those objects in my level but I still can´t remove them from the package. Does anyone know how to work around that?

Well unreal is technically right, they are in use you just cant see them as they are being referenced by code. Unreal has this nasty habit of keeping track of every single item that is imported or duplicated into or out of your package. They are called object re-directors and they are a pain in the butt to deal with as there is no, non code way, to get rid of them AFAIK.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Well unreal is technically right, they are in use you just cant see them as they are being referenced by code. Unreal has this nasty habit of keeping track of every single item that is imported or duplicated into or out of your package. They are called object re-directors and they are a pain in the butt to deal with as there is no, non code way, to get rid of them AFAIK.

Damn... that sucks. Thanks for clearing this up.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    the work around is rename the asset and give it a different package name in the dialogue like "fuckthisassetpackkage" save your "real" package/level close unrealed it will prompt you and ask if you want to save "fuckthisassetpackkage" and you will tell it not to. next time you launch your level in unrealed it will be gone.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    warby wrote: »
    the work around is rename the asset and give it a different package name in the dialogue like "fuckthisassetpackkage" save your "real" package/level close unrealed it will prompt you and ask if you want to save "fuckthisassetpackkage" and you will tell it not to. next time you launch your level in unrealed it will be gone.

wow that´s quite an ingenious workaround =D I´ll try it, thanks warby!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Hi peeps, been trying to find some good material editor tutorials, have a hard time finding some, I look up Eat3D`s dvd tough on the matter but kind of panicked when I saw the price (50 dollaros!). Right now Im looking up UDN, but would rather have some video to look at...

Any help would do!
  • Minos
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    what he said ^^
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gonna give it a look, thanks dude. Right now im interested in giving more depth normal maps and ways of amplifying the specular in a material.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote: »

That is a really good idea and I shall try that out. Thanks for the heads up.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I need some help as I am having an issue that has been stumping me all day and I cant seam to figure out why this is happening.

I have been tasked with figuring out a way to optimize speed tree to run better in unreal. The tech artist before me told the art department to not use billboards when making speed trees so our speed trees at the current point in time are the same amount of triangles whether the player is 1 meter in front of them or 100 meters away. Now I know that there was a reason for doing this or I hope that there was but of course there are no notes to be found on why he decided to go that route.

To make matters even more complex when I do tell all the speed trees to use billboards and set a culling distance on them I lose about 2-4 FPS over all which is weird because one would think that a 2 triangle plan would be less to render and draw to the screen than one that is pushing 900 to 1,200 triangles.

So does anyone out there know what I could possibly be missing and or doing wrong? I have run the same level 5 times each time with a different configuration regarding the speed trees. But no matter what I do to the speed tree settings I still get more FPS when I tell them to not billboard than when I do. All in all its about a 2-4 FPS difference between off and on and its driving me nuts as I know that I should be getting a lot more gains than this.
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    Is there a max polycount for importing static meshes? Or does it come down to time?
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt wrote: »
    Is there a max polycount for importing static meshes? Or does it come down to time?

There is not a "Max" poly count but the shadow buffer has problems with items that are over 20,000 verts or there about. What this means is that as you approach that many verts on a single object the buffer that stores the verts to make the lighting calculations gets to big for Unreal to handle so you get these weird streaking shadows. If you have something that is that many verts or more I would suggest that you break it up in your 3d modeling program and then import the individual sections and put it back together in unreal as a pre-fab.
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: * Solution Found *
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone answer a quick question? Been hearing that an object imported in the UT3 engine needs to be airtight( like if I have a cylinder going in a box, should the cylinder be closed/solid in both ends?) True or False? I myself havent noticed any diffrence...
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Can anyone answer a quick question? Been hearing that an object imported in the UT3 engine needs to be airtight( like if I have a cylinder going in a box, should the cylinder be closed/solid in both ends?) True or False? I myself havent noticed any diffrence...

Used to be that way with pre gemi but that is not the case any more you can have open edges no back faces. In short your mesh does not need to be air tight.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was finally able to get my character work in the engine, all except for when she's in game she looks completely black. She shows up fine in the customize character screen, but as soon as the game starts she's just completely black. How do I fix this?
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was finally able to get my character work in the engine, all except for when she's in game she looks completely black. She shows up fine in the customize character screen, but as soon as the game starts she's just completely black. How do I fix this?

What kind of material are you using and what level are you using for testing?
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of material are you using and what level are you using for testing?

I'm using just a normal material, it has diffuse, normal and opacity maps on it. When I bring it into a level, I normally use instant action, death match and select the first one on the list, Arsenal.

Also, just recently the ingame camera seems to move around like the mouse sensitivity is way up, when it's not. Any ideas why this just started happening?

Thanks. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, I have this really annoying problem and nobody at epicforums seems to reply to me.
    Problem is decals act really really weird on a terrain, they look like they are clipped by the decalactor's bounding box...

screenshot: http://i41.tinypic.com/2m63czl.jpg

Can anybody confirm this is not just me with this problem ? A friend tried and he just didn't see any decals on his terrain. In mine and his case they work fine on staticmeshes.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have this really annoying problem and nobody at epicforums seems to reply to me.
    Problem is decals act really really weird on a terrain, they look like they are clipped by the decalactor's bounding box...

screenshot: http://i41.tinypic.com/2m63czl.jpg

Can anybody confirm this is not just me with this problem ? A friend tried and he just didn't see any decals on his terrain. In mine and his case they work fine on staticmeshes.

You need to non-uniform scale you decal and make sure that you have the texture that is feeding the material are set to clamp.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using just a normal material, it has diffuse, normal and opacity maps on it. When I bring it into a level, I normally use instant action, death match and select the first one on the list, Arsenal.

Also, just recently the ingame camera seems to move around like the mouse sensitivity is way up, when it's not. Any ideas why this just started happening?

Thanks. :)

Humm I am not sure what your issue could be with the character can you send a pic of it in a level so I can see what you are talking about? As for the mouse speed do you have separate drivers that came with your mouse maybe those got activated some how or you could try deleting your UTInput.ini and let the engine re-make this for you.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Is the non-uniform scale necessary? I thought that's just up to the user to choose what scale to use. Clamping does seem to work, so thank you for that.

And regarding mouse speed: since the patch4 update a few days ago they changed some sort of mouse speed setting. It's no longer a slider bar, but a number type in. Mine was set to 11 and I could barely move my mouse at all, had to pump it up to 2400. Maybe in you case it's the other way around ?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hi guys, does anyone here know how i could create a normalmap dependent specular with custom lighting?
    when i create a phong specular it doesn't react on the normalmap, of course as i don't have the normalmap as an input, so how would the formula look like?

what i want is the result on the right, what i get is the one on the left

spec.jpg

is this even possible with the given nodes?

ok i'm just stupid pluggin in the normalmap into the normalmap slots does the job when you calculate a simple phong >_<
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    This is how I did it awhile back...
    spec.jpg
    You can simplify this if you don't need the fresnel effect. Just plug the power directly into the end multiply.
    The exp coming off the power is your spec power.
    That group at the bottom is just me reusing my diffuse map, so it would just be your spec map if you have one.
    Hopefully that makes sense.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thats exactly what i did for the specular, what i didn't know is, that the normalmap slot for the material is still active on custom shading, stupid me
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humm I am not sure what your issue could be with the character can you send a pic of it in a level so I can see what you are talking about? As for the mouse speed do you have separate drivers that came with your mouse maybe those got activated some how or you could try deleting your UTInput.ini and let the engine re-make this for you.

Here are some screencaps I have of my character.

customizecharacter.jpg
    By megamoguri at 2009-03-24

ingamepic.jpg
    By MegaMoguri at 2009-03-24