Home Stickies

[P&P] - What Are You Working On? 2009 Edition!

Replies

• RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last tweaks now, then i will call this finished, any last crits? :)

allmaps.jpg
    - Rick.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    @fullofclovers

I'm surprised no one has commented on your ship, it looks ace. How many different textures/sizes is that?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    okay i wasted a LITTLE more time on this because decimate is awesome and i wanted to test it out.

his forehead is made out of putty, it's a medical condition, don't judge
    352451z.jpg

moving on now!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    pior looks nice so far,but feel her face is a little too masculine. perhaps thats the intention.
    anyhoo, good stuff
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    nice paintover, pior.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah I was still at that stage were I keep the bone structure showing through. But it's true I always tend to do masculine female faces - found out I just need to let it rest for a few then come back at it and it's all obvious :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Klash, how are your UVs laid out on the mesh?

Also, is that a static mesh, or interp actor? May have something to do with lightmaps as a static mesh!

cool stuff pior!

rick: id suggest less blacks in your diffuse. Let the specular & normal define that. Instead of blacks try colors that "would have gotten caught in there" like dirt, moss, dust, etc. Plus, those cracks are f'in deep from the looks of it, yet in the normal they're just surface bump detail. Try going apeshit with the depth, and instead of blending the layers, mask it out so the cracks actually change the shape of the normal.
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you moose, thats some good ideas you pointed out there.

and here the reason why i actually had so much space in the map:

wip37.jpg

Edit: moose, this better? i did what you said to the normal map:
    wip39.jpg

i would love to make the book golden but i didnt find a nice gold ressource map :/

- Rick.
  • dummeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dummeh polycounter lvl 18
    looking good, rickfx.

almost finished the first building for this map:

iqj5gy.jpg

the cargo room still needs blocking out, i want to sort out the 'hollow' space between rooms, the lighting still needs a little work and I've yet to lay out the obstacles/cover around the place.

the more i play, the more i don't like the transparent walls solution i currently have in-game. i'm trying to think of a better way to reduce walls obscuring the player's view - anyone else know of any interesting/unique ways any recent games have used?

21llv29.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    still looks great dummeh. Have you thought about doing the colored outline thing, a la age of empires?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also fade in a cut down version of the walls (90cms high)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    doing a study , ignore the place holder hands , and I know his abs' need work, but please let me know how this is looking otherwise :)

study1.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    dummeh, i'm really excited for your game. : ) as for a solution to your problem, try and think about what other isometric games have had this problem, which titles had a good solution, and go from there. (though most just did the transparent walls haha)

I'd have to go with what pior said, personally. you could give it a fun cap so you could see any interior gimble on the shorter wall, then fade in the taller model if the angle changes.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    would it be at all possible to do something like in fallout 2?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    seforin wrote: »
    doing a study , ignore the place holder hands , and I know his abs' need work, but please let me know how this is looking otherwise :)

study1.jpg

you might want to check out some ref of how the abdomen connects to the groin, because it's not really working right now. All it's doing now is drawing attention to it's self for being anatomically incorrect.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sef, try to get your hands on some Kevin Chen material. This man is a walking anatomy reference. Not a muscle atlas reference kind of thing, more like a true Bridgman person. I am taking his 10 weeks anatomy class, and it's all about structure. It all becomes remarkably easy once you get the correct blocks memorized...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1432&page=2

I can tell from you sculpt that you started from a 'balloon man' kindof basemesh, which is fine, but you need to really settle the body planes before doing the smooth stuff.

What you can do aswell (this is my favorite technique) is to lay down a quick mannequin in Max or Maya, with cylinders, spheres and boxes that intersect but dont connect (not welded). Later you can take that broken down mannequin to mud or Z where you can stress the necessary edges, wedge stuff together, without loosing the strong overlap. Then you can accurately retopo this, and the sculpting will be VERY fast and painless.

(I can't wait for voxel conversion tech to make the retopo step a thing of the past btw :P)

Good luck!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oeh awesome link pior! :D

it looks kinda weird to me,

i dont know what refs you are using,
    make sure you have some good stuff, because there are so much weird anatomy refs going round.

if you dont have it allready, maybe get anatomy for the artist by sarah simblet, its full of great illustrations

what also makes this model look weird, is the placement of his goodz, it seems to be hanging quite high/ too much forward

dont spend too much time on getting those stroke texture in, go for shapes and sizes,
    have a look at proportions,

try to aim for a consistancy,
    are you going for just anatomy on an average person, or do a bodybuilder muscle defenition version, make sure to keep those seperate,

maybe also cut back a bit on the defenition, some muscles form a huge gab wich make it look unrealistic

i can call out all spots that look weird to me, but its better if you go over all the areas yourself, and dont compare it to just one illustration, make sure to check it with 10 others.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    (I can't wait for voxel conversion tech to make the retopo step a thing of the past btw :P)

http://geom.mi.fu-berlin.de/publications/db/KNP07-QuadCover.pdf
    http://alice.loria.fr/index.php/publications.html?redirect=1&Paper=SGP_Splines@2006
    ftp://ftp-sop.inria.fr/geometrica/alliez/tacd06.pdf

just a matter of time someone puts stuff like that into tools (its not trivial and the facny stuff takes quite long)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This kind of stuff makes me want to be a coder ... not the creative kind, just good enough to copy paste code and maths from papers and bam make cool little apps.

Crazy to think it's all there already, even taunting us in that 3dsMax screenshot. Is there any way to get our hands on such things by nicely asking the researchers involved?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    pior, when I saw it, I was also hooked on the idea of porting stuff like that to max or whatever (as you can see I searched for related work). But after looking into the math involved on the first one, and the fact that most research on this topic is done by mathematicians and not classic computer scientists, and the fact that some of the computations take several hours... my "wow must do this" feeling faded quickly again ;) I asked around for support on our research groups here, but the tenor was that if you cant compete with the top groups, who have lots of experience in the field, it is not worth the effort to get "freshly" into such topics.

There is a project here on the horizon on reconstructing models + proper shading/texture details for a virtual pathology database
    http://patho.med.uni-magdeburg.de/Virtuelle_Pathologie/sammlung.shtml

Stuff like that basically from CT scans

while not made for classic 3d viewing (shading and all stuff was intended for endoscopic views purely) it worked for a first browsing.

20090528110703_00006.jpg
    20090528110703_00000.jpg
    a bit too rough, but one can see the gummy bears on which the bone was placed (so that it can be cropped easier later)

btw that CT scan has probably more megs in VRAM than most games you guys work on.
    It's 512x512x1400 single channel 8-bit uncompressed , ie 350 Megs for the 3d texture alone.

rens, lovely!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks excellent CB :D
    DONE DONE DONE
    STORMGIANTDONE.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Good work Butt, the specular isn't doing much though. Try increasing the spec on the leather especially, it would add some much needed material definition (i.e at the moment the leather around his waist looks like brown cloth)

Looking good Rens!
  • Narodnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ butt_sahib

Lessen the spongy leather material's consistency throughout the dark leather bits. Maybe concentrate it towards the edges and/or other areas you seem fit.

I agree with Jaco too btw
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lookin better rick :) Lighting is still pretty dark so its hard to tell, but that crack on the lip of the top bit looks better :) post the normal!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    arshlevon wrote: »
    pior mekkin artz! nice!

had a little time to F around with this last night..

dn2z.jpg

Omg Duke <3!

Awesome
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Videogaming's best antihero! Just starting on this...

2dt5ie.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Kain!!!

Defiance ending made me sad =[
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    hah yea defiance was an ace game ! anyone know if they are doing to make another one ? :O

nice work everyone! lookin real sexy \o/
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    look it's a hammer
    Sledgehammer.jpg
    i did the model and rendering
    and fr0gg1e did the textures.
  • Narodnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bump maps on the wood really isn't working out for you guys. If you're doing a raw wood handle, ai unvarnished or uncoated, I think you'd get further with a gloss map varying the wood fibres/knots.

In any case, the bump maps should only have rather shallow and thin identations. ATM i kinda looks like it's going up and down and all around.

The material definition on the metal is nice.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    a subsurface scattering addition to the airbornshading with a faked inside of his stomach

sss_fake_03.jpg

everything but his belly will be masked out for sure
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looks sexy, Neox :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Give us another view Neox; I'm just having a little difficulty seeing whats going on...SSS in game though, sweet! :D
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Here is my first Helicopter still very very WIP

renducobras1.jpg

renudecobra2.jpg
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    bitmap wrote: »
    (...)

metal looks goodie!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    SupRore- do it! Legacy of Kain = love.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I posted these in my thread, but what the hell, now they're in here too. The normals and AO are around 50% done and still need to shave off a few hundred tris before I'm happy. Those nuts around the rim are in for a beatin'.

3574835157_54ec9d66ee_o.jpg
    3575643558_87ae7e5237_o.jpg

Nyuk nyuk. I said "nuts" and "beatin" in the same sentence.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    worked a bit more on it

the mesh is just a zbrush model with that new optimization thingie put on it, highly unoptimized, no uvs, no normalmaps no nothing just a crappy model and the new shader additions, also i didn't add a thickness map so this might change a bit once i have a real mask :)

sss_fake_04.jpg

the idea is, that this guy is eating stuff (sometimes planes, shit happens :P ) to lower his mass point, so he doesn't turn upside down once he blows himself up by producing gases to float around instead of having to put big energies into flying

zbrush +photoshop

airwhale_05.jpg

@swizzle: nice work on that helmet
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Neox: The art style you guys are going with on that mod is amazing! I've been following your posts on it for a while, just simply awesome!
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Neox! :)

poool.jpg
    Having some issues with Mudbox right now.
    Everytime I go into the "higher" sub-d levels these white pixels show up on my mesh.
    Also for some reason my painting stopped working altogether.

Can somebody help me with that?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Now I see it Neox. That is beautiful man. :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    breathtaking shit neox <3

jaco(HAI!) and narodnik:-
    Thanks for the comment.
    Between you and me though....i never actually got around doing a specular :( am i fking lazy or WHAT haha
    will get around it soonish i HOPE :D
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    After taking a look at Seb's great Zbrush tutorials. I decided to screw around.

celticsam.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Cool stuff as usual guys (I'm starting to feel like a broken record :) )

Some pics of my current tf2 map. Sorry if the pics are big, only ones I have uplaoded right now.
    Gonna be adding some more models, paper lamps and whatnot.
    Basically I'm going for a 'the red and blu teams set up bases in the orient...' theme.
    I don't want it to be overly oriental, I don't want it to seem out of place like red and blu took over existing buildings but more like they went there and built undercover buildings.
    cp_japan was an inspiration but it seems more like you are just in japan, rather than what I'm shooting for. It's a thin line of difference but I think there is a line.

Currently I believe the layout is about 90% set in stone, gonna have a test tommorrow. The detailing has got a ways to go. I think 2 of the waterfalls (by caves) are gonna be ditched and the buildings there will be on stilts over a cliff section. Kindof going for a mountain village, japanese garden thing.

Am using the new just released alpine storm sky and probably rain effects.

95668a.jpg

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/95668 (http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=5956)

yin_yang_test_120002.jpg
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Narodnik wrote: »
    The bump maps on the wood really isn't working out for you guys. If you're doing a raw wood handle, ai unvarnished or uncoated, I think you'd get further with a gloss map varying the wood fibres/knots.

In any case, the bump maps should only have rather shallow and thin identations. ATM i kinda looks like it's going up and down and all around.

The material definition on the metal is nice.

No time to do a proper bump map... the bump on the metal suck ass as well... =D
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Im finally calling this one finished:
    creaturecannonball.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks great davision!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Neox:
    I'm liking the design, but I'm not really feeling the shader yet. The details inside look a bit too sharp. Might I suggest getting an opaque white balloon, putting a few small objects in it, blowing it up and shining a light through it? It might help you get a better idea for how you can do the SSS masking.
This discussion has been closed.