Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal Work

Hey all I'm new to the site, I've been doin the 3d for a while and working in games for about 2 years or since I've been out of high school. I'm in college at AI chicago. Any feedback is metal. My web site can be viewed here at davidlesperance.blogspot.com. Sorry Not sure how to scale these mofo's lol. Any feedback is great. These are all of my own personal private work, but the dudes below help a ton in beeing cool people to help crit Right now its mainly a focus on HP art which is towards the bottom. :poly122:Stay Metal

Special Shout Out to Moody, Mikey, and the amazing Kevin J, Dan L aka tall and sexy, John Powell, Andy Firth, Kurt Willams, Joe Burger, Dan B and John Powell.232407_1220799990_large.jpg
232407_1222404149_large.jpg
232407_1204828642_large.jpg

232407_1229742708_large.jpg

Replies

• MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres more because It cut off a ton of stuff 232407_1225776343_large.jpg232407_1228711395_large.jpg
    232407_1229522080_large.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, let me be the first to say that you have some killer stuff on your blog.

I don't have too much to say, your doing all the right things lol keep at it. Really inspirational stuff in your blog :)

... well the tinest thing to say would be that theres too much to look at in things like the last pic you've posted buuuuut thats a pretty small nitpick lol
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a few more232407_1220104693_large.jpg232407_1216615822_large.jpg
    232407_1224682445_large.jpg232407_1227703786_large.jpg
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I love detail way too much in the latest lol. Stay Metal thanks for the feedback.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Floored by the work on your site. Keep posting!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Jesus. Your an insane modeler!! Pure Gold!
    How do you work so fast? Other than working "really,really fast". You said you were taught to work in "rapid development pipeline". Can you eleobrate on any of that? do you use any tricks or methods to your workflow? Polyboost, modifiers or anything?

Hot damn your good!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    you got some pretty killer stuff there man! I just hope you don't push the greatness of metal and have your favorite bands be slipknot or new metallica or anything. that would be a tragedy. just sayin. keep it up!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn... damn.

You seriously have to break down your workflow, you do this stuff in a bit a day? Is it all in one sitting or are you saying more so Hours... so maybe you spend a week on these (or I guess 3 days) and put 8 hours towards it each day.

Be nice if some of those shots were blown up, would really like to see some of the finer details!

Awesome work man.
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I really dig the ornate stuff. Do you start from scratch when modeling them, or do you have a library of pre-modeled little bits? Either way, awesome work!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Followed you @ gameartisans for awhile. I was, or still am, convinced you're a robot at how fast you put updates out.

Great work :) None of it looks real-time, though?
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all thanks for the cool words, norobot just a nerd who loves max,metal, and wieghts lol. I use alot of splines where I can it hellps a ton. I'm on vaction right now but if I get the chance I'll make another one to show the general work flow. Its nearlly always done from scratch though. The scenes end up being pretty dense so trying to pull is kinda a pain lol. Stay metal
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its mostly rendered my 7 to 5 is all realtime lol. My site has some Unreal stuff. Also I've worked on a few Unreal Based Games.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Your work is fantastic!

I am really looking forward to hearing about the specifics of your workflow.

Like others have said, very inspiring stuff!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow that's some wicked HP detailing. Amazing.
    When you say speed, how long are you talking about?

Also, bigger shots of that UE3 stuff on your site plz!! :D
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry Not sure how to scale these mofo's lol.

Seriously? . . . Nice work though.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Damn... damn.

You seriously have to break down your workflow, you do this stuff in a bit a day? Is it all in one sitting or are you saying more so Hours... so maybe you spend a week on these (or I guess 3 days) and put 8 hours towards it each day.

Be nice if some of those shots were blown up, would really like to see some of the finer details!

Awesome work man.

Ditto, I'd love to know your workflow for this kind of stuff!
  • MetalMan123
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey when I say say speed model I mean something within a few hours, like two or 3. This always excludes rendering time however lol. Sometimes it goes longer but nothing really goes over a 5-8 hour mark. I try to have a general concept usally based off a photo of some kind. I have fewbooks on baroque and manrist architecture which really help. After seeing how they cast molds and follow simple mathmatics it goes pretty quick pending any crashes lol. Stay metal and the kind words mean aton. Thanks alot.
    I use max for all of my hp stuff and whenever I can in a work setting. As of recent I have been using XSI. The best thing to become faster I think is to do it over and over again. I try to a piece a weekend. And I do it everyday at work. Hope that helps. I true workflow is coming soon. Thanks again.
    Dave or Metal if you will.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these works go to 11 man. and sooo many of them. ps lovin the light study about half way down with the bloody fridge looks like someone exploded in there, but its morbidly gorgeous

-woog
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, just out of curiosity... What's the point of going to AI Chicago for you at this point. Like you can already get work in the industry,
    and your probably more knowledgeable than any of your teachers there when it comes to working with 3d art at least
    (not sure how good the traditional art teachers are there).

It just seems like kind of an expensive way to be handed 3d projects for your personal work.

Or maybe I'm just a little bitter about all the debt I have from going to college, ha ha.

- Still patiently awaiting the workflow specifics ;)
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes, yeah love the blood lol, very metal. As far as school goes, I've worked in games since I was 18 (turn 21 on Jan 1st lol) school has been a great way for me to work on my personal work. The school projects are really just a formality. Its great to see what other students aer doing as well as help when I can. Ya do learn alot, not through the school at all but through contacts and talking with people. I have worked with like 4 or five of teaches proffesionally, so its great for networking. You also get several years to have fun with 3d :) meet cool chicks and see some great work. I had a scholarship which helped midigate some of the coasts as well. Stay metal and the work flow is coming soon. No one is on my parents station tommorrow so I should be able to hammer smash face on a piece. Thanks again
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    nice work :D wanna see more :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    alright, cannibal corpse reference, I guess you're legit. :p
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Definitely inspiring work here. I've gotta get crankin to get my work up to par =)
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Na man i gotta step my game up, lol so much to do too little time. Stay Metal.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Great work, especially enjoyed the giger-esq wet sci-fi space. I think a lot of people underestimate the significance of the social interaction that you only get out of college, it's good to see someone with enough talent to drop out stick with it instead.

On a personal note though, no one who says "stay metal" in every post should say "lol" so often. Ironically, not very metal.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I remember seeing your stuff on that other site too and I also asked your workflow. So I'm also looking forward to any tutorial or breakdowns you post in the future :) stay britney
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know right but thats how I roll. I real quick wanted to thank Kevin J. for some insane feedback on my work. Again I've said it a million and one times some of the best talent is at Epic. Insane eyes and more over great people. Yeah dudes, stay posted I should have something sometime tommorrow or shortly after teh christmas holiday,

Stay Metal (lol ;) )
  • squidpickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh metal, your stuff is looking pretty tight man. Stop being so damn harsh on yourself with how good your work is. You have skill no doubt man. Anyhow, I will talk to you sometime this week! Have an awesome metal Christmas!
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes I can't get max 09 running on my parents computer but I had zbrush already installed. Here are some misc sculpts, I'll post a work flow when I get back to chicago. Stay metal sorry for the delay. Samples are low on the render though. Both done in under and 45 mins or so.
    Stay metal

232407_1230272398_medium.jpg
    232407_1230272833_medium.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are you useing a stecile or alpha for this?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually niether lol, its a comination of models and projections, if you model a iece out and then use it as a tool you can project onto the surface of the mesh. Its pretty exact too becuase you can use snaps
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually niether lol, its a comination of models and projections, if you model a iece out and then use it as a tool you can project onto the surface of the mesh. Its pretty exact too becuase you can use snaps

Projection master's use of copy/paste for the win.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Dave. Nice work you got here. Thanks for the kudos. You have come a long way since we first met and this is awesome stuff. Truely inspiring for a lot of people out there.
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Moody, gotta long way to go though lol, thanks for the help man, stay metal
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, your shit is so tight, i gotta ask; for those 45minute pieces: why did you do this in zbrush? From what I understand you, modeled those wicked shapes, and then imported them in zbrush. Then placed them about using the projection modifier? Wouldent something like this be more productive just in maya/max? Then for the tight detail, like those circle patterns at the bottom; up-res it in zbrush and then use the projection modifier?
    Awesome work, I wanna know more!!!
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just some fun stuff to try to pass the fights with ex ya know lol. It is easier to do that but I need to get better with z brush
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man cool pics, might want to try and make some thicker details, right now it looks like if those last pieces were processed then compressed it would end up like a lot of indistinguishable noise. The details just look too spinly and tiny if that makes any sense. Keep at it though, stuffs tight :D
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    Hey man cool pics, might want to try and make some thicker details, right now it looks like if those last pieces were processed then compressed it would end up like a lot of indistinguishable noise. The details just look too spinly and tiny if that makes any sense. Keep at it though, stuffs tight :D
    Yeah I can see that alough depending on the rez of the normal map thats not always the case lol, even then the ao pass generally gets stuff missed in a norm pull. The if the engine use binleniar filtering there are issues there as well lol Really just practice for modeling though lol.
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Great work man, very inspiring.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Dude, awesome stuff you got there :) Loved the highpoly pillar :)
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes thanks, stubbs man kiler work yourself, love the giger piece too. Way metal
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snerfer,man your lightwave halway stuff, was and is amazing thanks for the kind words
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More Fun, tutorials will be comin, still in Mich though lol 232407_1230701554_large.jpg
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this one was a cool one because I wanted to focus on function. I wanted to still do some cool dec stuff but I really wanted to focus on function detail. Its a pull from a Machine part that Kevin Lanning suggested I do to focus on form and funciton. Took around 10 hours or so, took way longer to render lol. Any feedback is great.. Next HP study will focus on more practical stuff with Zbrush and Max.
    232407_1231613090_large.jpg
    Stay Metal
    Still havent found a good way to doc my work flow. Its coming sorry about the delay.
  • Xenocidex11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome engine
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    http://www.jobbersinc.com/Engines/SCANIA_DS14M01-_VIEW_5.jpg this one right?

The thing is though, you totally failed to duplicate the source. The reason I pointed you to this image was because its got regular realistic shapes and it would have forced you to make reality look cool and learn about how things really work.

You've take the easy route of being fast and making cool looking satisfying shapes and throwing them together and created something that is inspired by something real but doesnt look real because its now lost most of its grounding in reality.

If I were your teacher rather than someone simply suggesting something that would help you, I'd fail you for this one!!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ooowa.. that's some major criticism! ;)

It's hard for me to say how functional this engine really is, I was never that much into mechanics so it seems as plausible as the ref pic to me. Only hardcores like ror can spot that. But I will agree it seems excessively - and possibly uselessly - detailed. For example, those tubes you injected into the 3 diagonal forms, as well as those clips-things, do the actually do anything? But perhaps more importantly, they don't seem to follow a clear, focused, global design. They just make things more busy.

Any "algorithm" you introduce into the original, basic design should reoccur in more than one level. The more standalone stuff you have the more you lose the viewer. Try and build things step-by-step, layer-by-layer, holding yourself back from using 100 shapes and forms. Place your basic layers and elaborate them, don't add new ones. This is perhaps why you find it difficult to doc your work flow.