Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quarantine Map

Replies

• Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Dude man, I'm not one to judge but if all you liked about starbucks is the green and the white, surely you could come up with another logo for yourself. Even if it was a 'mybucks' type ripoff. The copy/paste logo is a big distraction on the piece.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    due to popular demand dadadoof!

starbuckwip1-2.jpg

also is it dark on your screens its really bright on my house computer screen but my work computer screen makes this piece look really dark :( anyone else experiencing this issue?
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    you should just copy the one side and duplicate it instead of mirroring it.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    the other side will have a poster over it in the map :P
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    i was talking about the words being backwards
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    lol coco bean! BAM! now your being creative :D
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Blocking out the street and skytrain station :)

QMwip1.jpg

QMwip2.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • fiveways
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    just a small note.

I would put the graffiti down the bottom of the truck and not at the top. People aren't that tall. ;^)

Here's a reference pic to show what I mean.
    http://www.untitledname.com/archives/upload/2005/7/df-graffiti-face-truck.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the placement of the graffiti on the truck. People AREN'T that tall. Then I remembered something else...The more accessible the spot is, the more likely that someone's going to attempt to get rid of it :) I'd say either move it to the bottom like
    suggested or put some other stuff on the bottom and have that painted over, lol.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice man.

Compared to truck, the buildings look too clean
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Gonna add alot of grim and dirt to the buildings thanks for the crit also going to make 2 cars 1 yellow taxi and a a chevy colbalt to fill the street but thats after i finish with the level itself.

played with the foilage and finsished blocking out the level gonna spend all day tommorow after work layout out the buildings:

screenshot with 100% more taper :P

QMwip4-1.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Really diggin' this stuff! Can't wait to see it with L4d style lighting...or maybe you aren't doing that. Anyways, I really like that building that has fallen over, but at that point I think it would have just fallen all the way over. So maybe bring it back to a more upright position [not all the way] or have it leaning against the building across the street or just have it all the way fallen over with rubble everywhere. It's just where it is now seems like an odd middle ground. Keep up the great work!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i recognise that tapir
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    lol tapier, it's no zebra is it? Anyway like we spoke about, keep going with the nature taking back it's ground, and more variation on the building veg.

Nice progress, gogogo.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    massbot sugessted i throw in some wildlife i in turn bought a plain ticket to london and covertly stole one of splash damages tapers and fed exed him into my map :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    fix the leaning building and added more buildings. didnt touch the foilage yet will do that tommorow :)

QMwip6.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys my map wont load up anymore :( when i try to open it it just crashes :/ dont know what the problem is would suck if i had to redo everything :( its saved as DM-Quarintine. i had some errors in the map before i closed it it had something to do with the grass :S not sure if that would be the cause if anyone can help i would greatly aprreciate it :)

auto saves dont work either heres the text i get after crash:

Assertion failed: BulkDataOffsetInFile == Ar.Tell() [File:.\Src\UnBulkData.cpp] [Line: 610]

Stack:

RaiseException() Address = 0x75bdf35f (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll]
    CxxThrowException() Address = 0x75218e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1434_none_d08b6002442c891f\MSVCR80.dll]
    Address = 0xb27972 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0xe875274c (filename not found)

fuuuuuuckkkkk :(
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    now when i load in certian packages it crashes :S im running vista ultimate 64bit edition if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yo ae. looks like you're getting that nasty ass Kernal error... this is how to fix it (or this is how I fixed it).

Copy your UTGame's folder in the My Games directory (should be in Your Documents) and paste it somewhere safe (this is for backup purposes). Now go into the UTGame's folder in your Documents and delete everything inside that folder (UTGame).

Once that is done, run the Editor once again and it should re-build all those files in the UTGame's folder. You should notice that the Editor may take a bit longer to bootup this time, i think its just re-cachcing all the files once again.. but that SHOULD work.

If not at least you have the backups saved somewhere and you can just copy over everything again... and then make your way to the EPIC forums and see if you can find anything else.

Also, once that is done just bring your Level file and Packages back into the unpublished custom maps folder, and you should be set man.

I hope this works, this is looking really good :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Aight when i reload the editor the ut game file is missgin a few folder including:

Autosaves

Cache

published

save data

screenshots

do i just make those folders? and leave them empty?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, all those folders will be created when... well when they are needed :)

Does it work?

Check pm :P
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I LOVE YOU!

it worked thanks alot back to work :) do you know why this happened?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    it seems so bright for such a dark sky.

EDIT: NM, your not even done with that yet~

Would recommend you do the lighting before you finish textureing, so you can see what you can get away with. Might even make your work easier.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    i

Would recommend you do the lighting before you finish textureing, so you can see what you can get away with. Might even make your work easier.

Is that the common practice? Seems to me it would be better if you layed out everything first, then do lighting, if your texturing spec isn't up to-par, or your normals aren't reacting the way you want, then tweak them.

I usually leave lighting to the last step, as it really brings everything together.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Very I am legend. Loving it.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Both Lighting and Skydome are placeholders i hope to make my own skydome :)

Also the lighting also need alot of work but what im gonna try to do is step away from the browns and greys i see so often in next-generation games and pull something of like what mirrors edge has:

9.jpg

I want both the lighting and sky to look like this. why you ask?

i want to make a contrast in my piece as you can see the city streets are decaying and all forms of "human" life are gone.

the world is falling and the nature is taking it back from "us". what do you guys think? also if youdont like that idea any paint-overs or lighting tips would be greatly appreciated :)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    i'm looking forward to see how this one turns out. good work so far. :thumbup:
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Didnt have much time to work on this this weekend, with family coming over for Xmas.

but i was able to make some tweaks to the foilage and other things on the map, the biggest being the lighting my friend pushed me into doing it to see what people would thing with this take on the map so i decided to make a lighting set-up real quick.

i would like to see what everyone thinks :)

QMwip10.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    quick update before i goto bed i might keep this lighting and get rid of the sun?

QMwip11.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I most definitely prefer the day light scene more.That night scene is really dumbing down your colours and alot of your detail.

Btw, that orange brick-walled building in the corner facing us-does it have a normal map on?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    If you want to go for the mirrors edge look the 1st thing to change should be your skybox. the grey overcast one is depressing and doesn't suit any type of stark lighting.

right now Im assuming your key light is in a similar position to the sun? I would suggest moving it so it intersects the scene at a 45 degree angle or something other than straight on, you will get more interesting shadows and it wont look as "Staged"

I think you could also boost the power of your key light quite a bit to get some hot spots going on, right now the lighting just seems too monotone and diffuse. try to get some shaprer shadows in there, I think it'll help a lot. nice progress so far man.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    if you want mirrors edge-
    1- create a new textures folder and make a pS action to copy all the textures into it and desaturate them say 75-90 percent.
    2- point all the shaders to this folder instead, or move the old one and rename the new texture folder so that it replaces them.
    3- relight the scene using a strong directional and oversaturated ambient
    4- re-saturate key textures
    5- add oversaturated bounce lights near these key objs

i think to get a mirrors edge look, you need to make sure that the main scene is very desaturated and that a few coloured objects are super saturated
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldn't mirrors edge be:

1 .delete your diffuse textures, replace with raw ambient occlusion output

done! :thumbup:
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey shep thanks for the tip man ill be sure to see if i can try it out right now, imma try a bunch of lighting and see what makes my work look best :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Gonna make a bunch of props on my winter break from work i got 10 days off lets see what i can do :P

QMwip12.jpg

QMwip13.jpg

QMwip14.jpg

QMwip15.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    working on the jeep now :) finished the subway cart will mess around with the material editor and try to mess with the metal :/

QMwip16.jpg
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    awesome job ae., looking really good so far.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is looking really nice. Keep going!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Such a workhorse :D
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks like your subway cars a little on the small side?
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, the front of that truck in the first pic stands out though, it looks very flat and over simplified.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    @indecom , Brad and butt_sahib : thanks guys :)

@ Shepeiro: i forgot to mention in my earlier post that i just threw the subway cart there real quick to take a picture ive moved it down to the subway part and resized it thanks for the crit Shep.

@ Jaco : hey jaco thanks for the crit are you talking about the geomatry? or just the general texture? it looks good when you import it in but the engine really compresses the textures after you load up the map again :( gotta fix this.

Also knowing that the engine is gonna compress most of the details i put in the normal map i decided to go a little more higher in the poly limit for my jeep model its around 2,200 polygons without optimization i plan to bring it down alot more then work on the high poly

low-poly:
    QMwip18.jpg

Gonna normal map in the door handles and sun roof :)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looking great! Keep rocking!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    highpoly version done :)

QMwip19.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    atmosphere looks really nice man!

If u want to keep jeep headlight on u can add volume light cones (like in Left4Dead). This way u could add more dramatic effect ;)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Im almost done with the map just need to fix some issues and i throw up a download maybe by next week hopefully, starting work again tommorow so dont know how much time ill get :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Nom Nom Nom download in the works just need to finish some contract work first.

QMFinal4.jpg

QMFinal7.jpg

QMFinal10.jpg

QMwip20.jpg

QMFinal8.jpg

QMFinal12.jpg

QMwip16.jpg

QMFinal9.jpg

QMFinal11.jpg

*cough* looking for a job *cough*