Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    And how about that overall dome shape that takes up most of the head?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    SanderDL wrote: »
    I'm getting such a headache trying to model something like this chair:

armchair03.jpg

I'm having the most trouble with the cushions.

Thanks in advance!
    rdmlegend wrote: »
    somebody posted a little gif or something on how they modeled it. I'm trying to find it but with no luck so far. Check around the Game artist.net forums in their Mini Comp section.

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/sketchbooks/9770-glynn-smith-do-not-look-2.html

A bit of a necro-reply, but I figured I'd chime in :)

The cushions were pretty straight-forward. Just make a planar with a bunch of cuts in it, then rotate it 45 degrees and start dragging your points with soft-selection or whatever.

The orange buttons are just hovering, as are the seams that come from underneath them, which comes from selecting the edges on the cushion geo that you want to run a seam along, then hit "create Shape From Selection". This'll create a path for you, that you can use the sweep modifier on, to get easy seams.

Hope some of this helps. You might be way past this point, by now, though :P
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Those are some awesome casters on that chair. ;)
  • nudity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diop wrote: »
    One silly noob question.
    After chamfered a loop, i made a one segment connect but of course it gets flat like grait plains, so how to fix this without vertex pushing/pulling?

Have tried to move or scale the edgeloop but of course it ends up with endless poly/vertex pushing.

Thanks!

round.gif
    just add a push modifier to your selected edges and find a value that looks rounded
  • diop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you but already been answered.
    But here is another one.

I decided to model this (for practicing sub-d.)

knife.gif

How i tried to model the base:

1. (:
    00.gif

01.gif

02.gif

4. Divide on the segments seen here
    03.gif

5. Interpolation on 0 to get a low poly base mesh for sub-d.
    04_.gif

6. And the result. The black one is the failed subdivided poly, the white is the spline that the subd model based on (with interpolation 6 for showing the original, wanted shape)
    05.gif
    knife_low+sd.gif

So the only way to get the original shape is to manually tweak the low poly cage, or is there any more 'elegant' solution?

Thank You!

(If you are that kind to reply: please dont quote with images coz the topic will be full with my shit. :)
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi diop, I'd stay away from plain splines, as they convert to poly in a not always clean way. Just think in polygons from the beginning. Here is a step by step tutorial to get the shape you want, with quite high accuracy.

dem_shape_02.jpg
  • diop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank You very much SyncViewS, very helpful. (And top of that i can save it with one click. :)
    I could have sit here for ages to figure out using n-gons instead of circle splines. (:
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    this thread is awesome ... i did a minitutorial for modeling straps...i thought maybe someone here will find it usefull ... i dont want it to be only in my boysoldier thread...

HowTo_Spatz_01.gif
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Hmm, I'v skimmed through this place, but seriously, a aeroplane propella blade, they are some twisted shape I really can't get right, anyone got advice how to take one on?
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    which tool do you use...
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, forgot to mention that, max.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Metal Mind,

Try this:

propeller.jpg

I did it without reference, and I'm sure it isn't aerodynamically correct, but I hope it helps.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks alot! :)
  • albino_goldfish
    leg_by_AlbinoGoldfish.jpg

so im working on a bot at the moment, and this is the basic leg breakdown. Im in a rut as to how I should approach this, it's a little different from what im used to. Anyone have any pointers?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    albino: Looks really easy that shape. Tomorrow i will make something for you:)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG just noticed it.. 2000post! weeeeeeeeee
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    bitmap wrote: »
    OMG just noticed it.. 2000post! weeeeeeeeee

Quit inflating your post count Pedro!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorrororo

btw..
    here is a video that i did yesterday. it shows how i am doing my hardeges now a day.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/93793/Bevel.avi

i make the baseshape and then i bevel the edges with a added segment between the edges, so i can quadify it :)
    looks nice :)
    that other mesh on P&P. the other lego pieces. was made that way.
    here is wires of that part.
    lego_bevel.jpg
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Hey All,
    I'm currently looking at some cable types for the scene that I'm working on, and I really like the braided metal cables that I've seen on car engines, power supplies etc...

Just wondering though, do any of you guys have any tricks up your sleeves for a quick way of doing this?

Cable_How.gif
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    personally id model the pattern flat and use render to texture to turn it into a normal map.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r, good idea. I was thinking of that route too. Was just curious if anyone had some nifty tricks for it though.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    model it flat then use a non-linear deform mod and bend it and make a tube.

Maya its F2 > Deformers > Non-Linear > Bend

Max....I dunno..But theres a video around here somewhere. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSvh7Mwtyw"]Max - Bend Mod[/ame]
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    personally id model the pattern flat and use render to texture to turn it into a normal map.

If you're a completion whore like I am, do what he said, only use the bend modifier to bend your plane into a cylinder. If you're not worried about showing your hi poly, then ignore my post :P
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. Yeah I want to show my highpoly, so... laaa deeee da! Thanks though Darth! I think I've figured out a way to do it. I'll post my results when I'm at the 'posting my results' stage :D
  • albino_goldfish
    bitmap wrote: »
    albino: Looks really easy that shape. Tomorrow i will make something for you:)

Thanks man, i've got a little done, and I'll post my WIP, I just gotta get outta this rut!
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Usually, I don't have a problem with complex shapes, but for some reason the holes in the muzzle are killing me!! D:

whattheduece.jpg

Someone could show me in whatever app, I can translate.
    I use Modo, and Max.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    here.gif

I gave it a go there, bit messy, not exact, but really you just need enough there to hold the shapes.

OBJ Here: muzzle.zip
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks! It's more of keeping the cylindrical shape, when the ends of the holes get smaller.

jocose wrote: »
    here.gif

I gave it a go there, bit messy, not exact, but really you just need enough there to hold the shapes.

OBJ Here: muzzle.zip
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    modeling a grease gun, already ran into a problem.

34h6m9g.jpg
    m9by4l.jpg

i know if i ad loops to the part i want smoothed on top it will make it look funny. so im not sure how to bridge this gap i have.

should i just do a hipoly with floating geometry? i want it to look like one piece as in the reference photo.

maybe im going about this all wrong?

any help would be taken with joy and blessings.

thanks guys.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    99% of the time, for a highpoly to bake from, the answer is more Geo. Remember that, and things will go well. :D
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barrel - Upper - Lower - Mag Well - Pistol Grip = seperate pieces. For a high at least. Weld them after you've gotten them to look how you want :)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    k, thanks. started with a hi poly cyl and working fine now. will post update soon.

cheers :P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Going way back to bitmaps example.

http://www.edgesize.com/pics/tutorial.jpg

How do I achieve that in Max? I thought there was a plugin someone was talking about to do such? You know so I select the edges I want to divide/chamfer and get quad corners. Without having to manually select each edge ring and make an edge loop that wont follow the symmetry of the edge loop in question if the ring is compromised of different lengths.
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You do it the same way, here is how I do it in max, works just fine:

Just make it all quads, then add your edgeloops with the connect tool...

cornhole.jpg

Also, any ideas on this? I tried splines for the ribs, but it looks like crap and is hard to get them consistent...

http://www.pixagogo.com/Photos/Albums/Photo.aspx?id=S4ZKAflAIypxnldvjFxpVcmFSWwNMnOnBzFt07!THwNR4!ddJs-WrXzS83hymUuD1C

?action=view&current=cornhole.jpg
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could just do cylinders connected together and capped to fit them; cut them in half and float.

if you want them connected go in and cut the geo of the mag and append/weld the geo add in some control edges/use max's version of crease to reduce the number of control edges, and call it done. It still wont be super clean geo, but with tweaking you can get it so that reflections/highlights don't distort unusually.

magwell-polyflow.jpg

The really dark lines that look like there are 5+ edges are actually just pixel distortion of the "crease tools" lines in maya.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    nudity wrote: »
    just add a push modifier to your selected edges and find a value that looks rounded

Or just select them, turn on "normal" constraint and move upward
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rang3r1 wrote: »
    You do it the same way, here is how I do it in max, works just fine:

Just make it all quads, then add your edgeloops with the connect tool...
    ]

I think there is a misunderstanding. Edge Rings and connect only would work for the most basic box shapes. Im dealing with some more complex geometry, where the edge loops are not equal distance between them nor boxy.

Right now I have to select each individual ring separately. Connect and hope the vertices are somewhat equal distance at each point from the edge Im trying to enhance/sharpen. Its time consuming, inaccurate, and also does not help with creating a precise mechanical feel.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could try taking the cap of a cylinder with x # of edges that you want, usually 6 is good. inset the cap, and then bridge edges. I think thats what its called in max anyways.

Inset on a curved surface.

I do the same thing for complex surfaces, just requires more adjustment of verts and edges to make it fit. Its not something with really complex flow that happens fast.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm there is a problem with your approach, the surface is not perfectly round because of your topology. Put a high specular shader on that geometry and you will see the reflection breaks around the hole. In theory it shouldn't break at all then you know your cyclinder is perfect.

A better approach is as follows:

- Create a plane
    - Cut a cylinder into the plane
    - Smooth to a desired polycount
    - Then Bend that plane into a cylinder.

This will give you a perfect cylinder with a perfect hole in it. The key is to bend after the smooth though.

Also the diagonal cuts eminating from the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th edge of your cylinder will cause distortion. It would be better if they where horizontal or vertical. This would work fine if you used the approach i outlined above.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks frubes...nice tip!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frubes wrote: »
    Grimm there is a problem with your approach, the surface is not perfectly round because of your topology. Put a high specular shader on that geometry and you will see the reflection breaks around the hole. In theory it shouldn't break at all then you know your cyclinder is perfect.

A better approach is as follows:

- Create a plane
    - Cut a cylinder into the plane
    - Smooth to a desired polycount
    - Then Bend that plane into a cylinder.

This will give you a perfect cylinder with a perfect hole in it. The key is to bend after the smooth though.

Also the diagonal cuts emanating from the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th edge of your cylinder will cause distortion. It would be better if they where horizontal or vertical. This would work fine if you used the approach i outlined above.

I hadn't thought to smooth before bending. I've seen both approaches, and moving adjusting to a cylinder you can get minimal distortion, though smooth -> bend defiantly would yield the best results :thumbup:
    From his description though it seemed like he was putting a inset into a wonky complex shape with several high low variations which smooth->bend wouldn't have worked, though I suppose smooth->lattice might and that was the point I was trying to demonstrate, just being lazy, which I suppose here isn't the place to be, actually, now that I'm thinking about it...

Thanks for the slick idea however :)
  • zerg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im trying to follow the warwick tutorial and i can't seem to make my circle spline 8 sides, it shows as completely round
  • zerg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zerg wrote: »
    im trying to follow the warwick tutorial and i can't seem to make my circle spline 8 sides, it shows as completely round

nm, found it. you have to optimize the steps in the spline roll out menu :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could try taking the cap of a cylinder with x # of edges that you want, usually 6 is good. inset the cap, and then bridge edges. I think thats what its called in max anyways.

Inset on a curved surface.

I do the same thing for complex surfaces, just requires more adjustment of verts and edges to make it fit. Its not something with really complex flow that happens fast.

Yea, thats not the same idea. I know, I know just post a picture. Let me get around to it.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I think Perna and crazybutcher did something like that for max.

http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmax

Edge Straighten?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any ideas how to model this top part of this type of bolt/screw?

Stainless-Steel-Pan-Head-Screws-with-Cross-Recessed-DIN7991-.jpg

I can model a cylindrical version but this panhead part is tricky without pinching.

It's keeping the sperical top looking good that I'm having real problems with.

This is what I can get so far, notice the flatspot on the top.

72878118.jpg
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Not so hard actually...you'll see some pinching in my example, but thats ok, the original has it, too :poly121:

Screw.jpg

Start with an 18 sided cylinder and scale down every second two edges in a loop to create the hexagonal cavity.

You can of course use a denser Cylinder as Base (make sure the amount of segments is dividable by 6) to reduce the pinching to a minimum.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Piflik many thanks!

Easy when you know how I guess :D
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    heres an alternate approach using splines. its quite nice because you can modify the shape very easily using the spline shapes at the bottom of the stack.

ignore the bit where i hit 'corner radius' that was a blunder :)
    http://screencast.com/t/NDRmZjBmY