Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheheryar_noor polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys,
    I think its my first post here in this section. I am trying to make this http://i.imgur.com/hL18SiT.png .

I have made something like this http://i.imgur.com/n557gLZ.png  but it does not look like the reference image :(
    Anyone can help me out with this?

• sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone see this post anymore?:D or i am the end of this post?
  • ATacticalError
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ATacticalError polycounter lvl 2
    Hold on to your hats mate!
    Forum threads don't always have people on hand 24/7, you may have to wait longer than 24 hours to see a response. 
    But anyway, back to your selector switches.
    Could we have a wireframe of what you've done so far, preferably at the angle which your reference image is at, and a description of why it doesn't look like the reference image?
    But at the moment it seems all you need to do is just thicken the switch and soften your edges, a lot.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    I've been trying to fix the pinching on this part for so long (the corners of the cut out section). Tried so many combinations of edges and this is the least severe result I could get. I'm sure there is a better way but I'm just not seeing it.

• sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hold on to your hats mate!
    Forum threads don't always have people on hand 24/7, you may have to wait longer than 24 hours to see a response. 
    But anyway, back to your selector switches.
    Could we have a wireframe of what you've done so far, preferably at the angle which your reference image is at, and a description of why it doesn't look like the reference image?
    But at the moment it seems all you need to do is just thicken the switch and soften your edges, a lot.

http://prntscr.com/amg564 Wireframe with TS
    http://prntscr.com/amg5hg without TS
    http://prntscr.com/amg6wq  <i think it is more rounded here or maybe i am wrong at this point

• Hieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hieru polycounter lvl 6
    Kroma! said:
    I've been trying to fix the pinching on this part for so long (the corners of the cut out section). Tried so many combinations of edges and this is the least severe result I could get. I'm sure there is a better way but I'm just not seeing it.
    The big problem you've got are all the Ngons surrounding the corners.

With a rough approximation of your model, I would do something more like this.

• Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treidge polycounter lvl 11
    Kroma! said:
    I believe that thinking in terms of how subdivison surfaces work fundamentally will help you both in this particular case and in the future, when you'll be facing similar issues. It helps me a lot to understand that, anyhow. Let's take a closer look at your geometry and try to think of what actually happens when you switch to subdiveded mesh view.

In terms of general shapes the top part of the slider (I can see that this is a handgun you're modeling, right?) is half of a cylinder. At your second image with wireframe, where model is splitted in half, it's a quarter of the cylinder. Now, the important thing is that this quarter of the cylinder is having about 6 sections, resulting in only 7 edges running through it horizontally (not counting those ones on top that come from bevel).

I'm pretty sure that you already know that cylinders with few number of sections (sides) tend to lose their volume when being subdived. The less sections a cylinder have, the more volume it will lose upon subdivision. By the way, this is not limited to cylinders only and almost all types of shapes to some extent would lose some volume upon subdivision. It is important to understand why is that and how it affects your models.

Looking back at your geometry we can see that having only 6 sides to the quarter of the cylinder will still result in some volume lose. It will not be dramatical, but still noticeable. On the other hand, there is an area on this surface that gets two more horizontal edges than the rest of the "cylinder" — it is were your bevel is and where you're getting a pinchning at the corners. Also this edges are pretty close to each other.

Now imagine what happens when subdivision is applied. The overal "cylinder" is losing some of its volume, effectively making it just a tiny bit smaller in size. At the same time, the bevel and those few extra edges prevent the adjacent surface to lose its volume in the same manner and scale, because more edges close together = less volume change.

Such geometry configuration results in small "bumps" at the corners that you're seeing as pinching. In fact, it is just a small portion of the surface that retained its volume more than the rest of adjacent surface. If you zoom enough at the subdivided surface with wireframe on shaded enabled, you'll see that.

As for how to fix this — it's all up to the classic rule of SubD modeling that you're probably heard of: use correct ammount of geometry. Adding some more horizontal edge loops should help significantly reduce the pinching (as it will allow the geometry to retain its volume more). Keep in mind that most likely this will not allow to completely eliminate the pinching — you probably should aim to make it indistinguishable from the rest of geometry.

Also you may want to clean a bit your bevel at the corners — for example, if this is possible from your model perspective you can run your bevel all the way to the bottom of the slider.

Hope that helps.

• sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treidge
    http://prntscr.com/amjg8j  what do you think about this topology? Is it the correct way ?

• keezxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys,

What would be a good way for modeling the receiver of the Winchester 1892 rifle? 

• Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treidge polycounter lvl 11
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Kroma! said:

Kroma, here's my ex. with Max file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fnp2spqir263ey/Kroma_001.max?dl=0
  • Hieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hieru polycounter lvl 6
    @wirrexx

Can you please share a wireframe before and after image for those of use who don't use Max?
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9

Hieru said:
    @wirrexx

Can you please share a wireframe before and after image for those of use who don't use Max?

This is Wirrexx's mesh. It's slightly different to mine and smooths correctly because of the cylindrical roundness I think. On my mesh they are evenly spaced but not perfectly cylindrical; it's a bit squashed so this still gives me some errors on the bend. About your point on ngons, they can be used in sub-d meshes as long as they smooth correctly, but mine don't here. Also your example cuts some edges between the cylinder segments, so it messes up the shape. But thanks for your reply.

@Treidge
    Thanks for the detailed reply, I understand what you are saying about how sub-d works, I just think I am trying to do more with less geometry and experiment with edges. Adding more geo was more of a last resort but I think I might need to after all of the options I have tried. And you are right, it is a handgun. :smile:

@wirrexx
    Thanks for the file, sadly it doesn't quite fix it for me because of the reason mentioned above I think. But I'm going to add more geo and report back.
  • Hieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hieru polycounter lvl 6
    @Kroma!

Thanks for that....that's much cleaner topology! I was obviously overthinking things.

I know you can use ngons, but it's best to avoid them if possible. I think that sticking to quads also helps you think more carefully about topology.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Hieru said:
    @Kroma!

Thanks for that....that's much cleaner topology! I was obviously overthinking things.

I know you can use ngons, but it's best to avoid them if possible. I think that sticking to quads also helps you think more carefully about topology.
    Avoid ngons and tris IF you're going to throw it into Zbrush (or animate it) and sculpt it (even than you could just easily use z-remesh to fix stuff).

But please, Ngons and tris are more than welcome if they make your hp look good =)
  • sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://prntscr.com/amy6wi   How do i have to start this? i tried with 32 and 40 sided cylinder,removing few side edges, added edges to the area from where they were deleted, pulled in some vertices to get the curve shape and then added loops to get hard edge but failed

My result: http://prntscr.com/amy8ev

Doesn't these forum show a picture from link directly in the post?

http://i.imgur.com/C37x70c.png  Another try :) Am i going on right track?

• cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    keezxy said:
    Hello guys,

What would be a good way for modeling the receiver of the Winchester 1892 rifle? 
    This was already answered in this thread, in-fact for the exact same problem. Dig a little...
  • keezxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keezxy said:
    Hello guys,

This was already answered in this thread, in-fact for the exact same problem. Dig a little...
    Only found this one: https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2080357/#Comment_2080357

Which is not my problem, as I've modeled a Winchester 1873 already, and had no problems with it, but the 92 has a completely different shape and i'm even struggling with the correct block out for this model right now. :S
  • Hieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hieru polycounter lvl 6
    Don't forget UV mapping @wirrexx ;)
  • Mindbaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

after a long hiatus i tried to model in 3DS Max again and gain some beginner expierience, but i just cant wrap my head around some things. 
    I can't understand when you connect different objects with edges or when you just leave them as different objects and move them close/into eachother. 
    This seems like a really silly problem but maybe you can help me to understand the different reasons for both ways. 

For example: I tried to model a Shrine and would like to know what parts should be connected or not. (For the example i just threw things together to give you a better image)

imgur: http://imgur.com/dn4LA9m
    Example questions:

Would you leave the pillars on their own or would you try to extrude them from the box shape of the bottom part so they are connected?

What about the more complex shape ontop of the pillars which support the plattform? Are those seperate or connected? Connecting them would result in a lot more polygons so i wouldnt do it, but i dont know if that is right.

If there is a "rule" behind them maybe i can understand the whole process, because i have this problem with every more complex shapes i try to model.
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    One of my lab assignments is to use 3Ds Max's MaxScript to model a snowflake.  Here is the supposedly outcome of this model.
    You'll find details here: https://github.com/Seneca-GAM536/Wiki/wiki/Lab-9

As mentioned above, I am to model this snowflake (minus the wirecolors) using MaxScript with quaternions (No eular rotation).  So far I have managed to make 6 cones each 60 degress apart from each other, but only on the Y axis.  I am stuck on the part where I could not make multiple copies of cones rotated along the cone's local axis; so say for the deep blue cone pointed diagonally in the image above, the light blue cone is rotated 60 degress from the dark blue's local axis.

Here is my MaxScript code I've been working on thus far:

for i = 1 to 6 do (
    myConeY = cone radius1:5 radius2:0 height:30 heightsegs:1 capsegs:1
    qy = quat (60 * (i - 1)) [0,1,0]
    rotate myConeY qy
    )
  • sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once i saw some mini tutorial here of a handle made from torus and cylinder then bridge together. Something like this http://prntscr.com/anp0l1  Can anyone get me the link please? i have tried from page 1 to 130. If anyone know about the link please let me know else i will keep searching.

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    franman said:
    As mentioned above, I am to model this snowflake (minus the wirecolors) using MaxScript with quaternions (No eular rotation).  So far I have managed to make 6 cones each 60 degress apart from each other, but only on the Y axis.  I am stuck on the part where I could not make multiple copies of cones rotated along the cone's local axis; so say for the deep blue cone pointed diagonally in the image above, the light blue cone is rotated 60 degress from the dark blue's local axis.

for i = 1 to 6 do (
    rotate myConeY qy
    )

For your specific question about the light blue cone, notice that its a combination of 2 rotations. Assuming a typical right handed coord system with z up, you'll want  rotation of 60 degrees from the yellow cone about y, which puts it into the same plane and space as one of the upper darker blue cones, then you need to rotate it 60 degrees about Z to move it into its own position, or more precisely, 60 degrees around the long axis of the yellow cone.

For the whole shape, Try looking at the similarities within the overall shape and notice how its actually composed, this might give you an easier time of it. 

Also the whole thing can be parameterized based on the problem information. Number of cones and angle are related (angle = 360/numCones)

There are a number of different approaches to this really, but what I might suggest is to build a cone and spike crown, either group that together, or parent the smaller spikes to their cone, then clone that whole assembly the 12 times you need it with the appropriate composition of rotations.

Top circle is 60 degrees around y and increasing in steps of 60 around z.
    Lower circle is 120 around y and increasing in steps of 60 around z. 
    Bottom cone is once at 180 around y.

• sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once i saw some mini tutorial here of a handle made from torus and cylinder then bridge together. Something like this http://prntscr.com/anp0l1  Can anyone get me the link please? i have tried from page 1 to 130. If anyone know about the link please let me know else i will keep searching.

I got it, https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B50TkT6CiX5yTFJwSnlzYVBMaGs   was talking about this.

• GobIin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone any idea on how to add these 2 raised sections on a washing machine without deforming the circular drum? Normally I'd use the double turbo smooth method but I'm trying to do things differently this time around, and it's got me stumped.

I should maybe also mention that the model's mirrored at the minute which I'll sort out when the model's finished.

Thanks in advance!

• franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    Vailias said:
    franman said:

for i = 1 to 6 do (
    rotate myConeY qy
    )

For your specific question about the light blue cone, notice that its a combination of 2 rotations. Assuming a typical right handed coord system with z up, you'll want  rotation of 60 degrees from the yellow cone about y, which puts it into the same plane and space as one of the upper darker blue cones, then you need to rotate it 60 degrees about Z to move it into its own position, or more precisely, 60 degrees around the long axis of the yellow cone.

For the whole shape, Try looking at the similarities within the overall shape and notice how its actually composed, this might give you an easier time of it. 

Also the whole thing can be parameterized based on the problem information. Number of cones and angle are related (angle = 360/numCones)

There are a number of different approaches to this really, but what I might suggest is to build a cone and spike crown, either group that together, or parent the smaller spikes to their cone, then clone that whole assembly the 12 times you need it with the appropriate composition of rotations.

Top circle is 60 degrees around y and increasing in steps of 60 around z.
    Lower circle is 120 around y and increasing in steps of 60 around z. 
    Bottom cone is once at 180 around y.

Great news! finally got it work (minus the wirecolours) here's the code to generate the snowflake.

fn SnowFlakeArmSize baseRadius height = (
    --Cone Setup & Creation
    --Main Cone setup & creation
    Cones = #()
    MainCone = cone radius1:baseRadius radius2:0 height:height heightsegs:1 capsegs:1
    --Small Cone setup & creation
    for i = 1 to 6 do (
    qy = quat 60 [0,1,0]
    qz = quat (60 * i) [0,0,1]
    smallCones = cone radius1:((MainCone.radius1)/3) radius2:((MainCone.radius2)/3) height:((MainCone.height)/3) heightsegs:1 capsegs:1 pos:[0, 0, (2 * MainCone.height) / 3]
    rotate smallCones qy
    rotate smallCones qz
    smallCones = convertToPoly(smallCones)
    append Cones smallCones
    )
    MainCone = convertToPoly(MainCone)
    for i = 1 to 6 do (
    MainCone.attach Cones[i] MainCone --attach every small cone to the main cone
    )
    --end of initial cone setup & creation and already starts at a 0 degree rotation
    --rotate the clone cone set along the y axis starting with a 60 degree offset
    for i = 1 to 5 do (
    qy = quat (60 * i) [0,1,0]
    CloneCone = instance MainCone
    rotate CloneCone qy
    )
    --create half the amount of clonecones on its own axis
    for i = 1 to 5 do (
    qx = quat (60 * i) [1,0,0]
    qxy = qy * qx
    CloneCone1 = instance MainCone
    rotate CloneCone1 qxy
    --the third cone is placed at a 0 degree rotation
    --same position as the initial cone setup & creation
    --therefore it must be deleted
    if i == 3 do (
    delete CloneCone1
    )
    )
    --create the other half and mirror them
    for i = 1 to 5 do (
    qx = quat (60 * i) [1,0,0]
    qxy = qy * qx
    CloneCone2 = instance MainCone
    rotate CloneCone2 qxy
    rotate CloneCone2 (angleaxis 180[0,1,0])
    if i == 3 do (
    delete CloneCone2
    )
    )
    )
    SnowFlakeObj = SnowFlakeArmSize 5 30

• EternalEcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EternalEcho polycounter lvl 3
    Stumped here: 

I have a filagree pattern I wire-deformed into place (see left).  I am attempting to deform it as a fringe piece on the gauntlet (see right image) between the red lines.
    so far I've tried: 

1) using a wire deformer
    2) A wire deformer to get the round shape, and then another one to pull the inside of the filagree into place.
    3)a bend deformer and then live surface,
    4)I made an unsuccessful attempt at making a long chain of the pattern, then attach to motion path->flow path object.

My next idea is to use a bend deformer to shape it into a circle and merge the verts, then turn it into an ncloth  and then use negative pressure to form it, but I don't think this will actually work

any ideas?  I'd like the shape itself to have the same width and fidelity around the gauntlet.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Bit late on the reply but I fixed my problem. Added more geo and aligned the curvature with another mesh to get a correctly smoothed result. Support edges with more quad structure than before. Thanks to those who weighed in with their opinions :)
  • Hieru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hieru polycounter lvl 6
    Nicely done Kroma.

Personally I'd do this too...

• Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    @Hieru
    No need for that, the front sight sits over that area so it will never be seen
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    I'm wracking my brain to try and fix this. No matter how dense or scarce I make the edges I keep getting these absolutely befuddling lumps on this front hair section. Edge flow adjustments and relaxing haven't helped at all, and often just makes the problem worse! Any suggestions?

E: Nevermind solved it. i had to forgoe opensubdiv and just add actual edge buffers to it. worked like a charm.

• PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PancakeMSTR polycounter lvl 4
    How do I model these ridges on the side of the gun with the best topology? Like all quads or whatever? Not floaters, preferably. Also, is there some way to do this with, like, spheres or something? Some decent algorithmic way of making ridges like that? Thanks. 
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    GobIin said:
    Anyone any idea on how to add these 2 raised sections on a washing machine without deforming the circular drum? Normally I'd use the double turbo smooth method but I'm trying to do things differently this time around, and it's got me stumped.

I should maybe also mention that the model's mirrored at the minute which I'll sort out when the model's finished.

Thanks in advance!

Looking at your reference, the raised bit has an actual seam around where it meets the drum in the real world photo, which means it can be made as a separate element in the HP as well. Just model it, and add it to the drum - there's usually three in a dryer. Also, chamfer the inner edge if you want to emphasize that seam. No need to worry about deforming the drum at all.
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Hi guys i am stuck making cylinder for my revolver i have no idead how to add holes to the cylinder for bullets while maintaining ok line flow
    just a little hint would be enough for me to do it
  • sheheryar_noor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys i am stuck making cylinder for my revolver i have no idead how to add holes to the cylinder for bullets while maintaining ok line flow

Here you go https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/39/af/23/39af239b1142d3b6aacd11d8b85e8683.jpg

• demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth

Here you go https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/39/af/23/39af239b1142d3b6aacd11d8b85e8683.jpg

thats more than i expecteed thank u very much !!!!! <span>:smile:</span>
  • DirtyBlueFL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtyBlueFL polycounter lvl 6

The handle on this axe is a nightmare. Using quad draw in maya, I can build out a 2d version with good topology just fine, but giving it curvature and depth is not going well. Using a cylinder works for the basic shape, but adding details while keeping them all in 1 cage is a nightmare.  I am sure I could just drag a basic block into zbrush, carve it out, and retopo, but is there a way to just stick in maya?

For example, this model is great, and id love to know how he managed to make it.

• Faei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm trying to create a second map within U.V texture editor as my model has a lot of pieces, I've tried to make a second place for another map through the image range option. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or have any advice for what I'm trying to do? 
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    finally made the barrel wasnt as easy as i thought it would be,didnt come out perfectly but i will leave it there
  • Doguib7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doguib7 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there folks!
    Here again with a little topic!
    I would like to start experimenting for personal achieving and studying with soccer balls and in this case I want to create something like this example and I have no idea how to start.
    I heard about “One Panel Shapes balls” It's supposed to be the future of ball designs as FIFA's!
    I saw it could be any pattern from simple to complex shapes!
    If you have an idea of how to do this kind of model i appreciate it!
    Thanks in advanced!

• US Claire Force
    Hello all. I'm trying to brush up on my modeling skills. Currently I'm modeling the Android phone character in Maya 2015, and I've come to a bit of a head-scratcher. After doing a boolean difference, then a boolean union for the antenna, I'm unsure of how to connect the hanging vertices to the rest of the mesh, without getting puckering or edge loop ridges. How would I go about doing this, while retaining the smoothness of the mesh?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

• DirtyBlueFL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtyBlueFL polycounter lvl 6
    You can just set it into the top of the head. No need to boolean and connect the verts. when you're done, just mesh > combine.
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Hello all. I'm trying to brush up on my modeling skills. Currently I'm modeling the Android phone character in Maya 2015, and I've come to a bit of a head-scratcher. After doing a boolean difference, then a boolean union for the antenna, I'm unsure of how to connect the hanging vertices to the rest of the mesh, without getting puckering or edge loop ridges. How would I go about doing this, while retaining the smoothness of the mesh?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Use an eight sided cylinder instead..? Why do you need so many edge-rings on the antennae?
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a lot of trouble with this shape,  could I get some help? 
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Just create the base with a high amount of segments. Try it with 72 sements, this will give you 4 polygon-rows per spike.  This amount of edges should be enough to create this cogwheel without any support-loops. There is no need to create a lot of support loops manually.
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgive me but I'm having trouble picturing what you're suggesting in my head. Could you post a couple pictures? 
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    @PancakeMSTR
    Quick version of your example. I think what .Wiki means is to use more segments on your cylinder to start with so that some of those edges become support loops in themselves. Also to fix your smoothing on the top you should use another edge loop to insulate the top face from the change in geometry angle. And to fix the pinching around the side, make sure that slope is completely flat. Hope this makes it clearer.

• PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, that looks great, but in practice I'm not sure how to actually accomplish that. Specifically, how do I keep the slope constant on the top? Can possibly breakdown how you made that shape? 

Thanks for the help, btw. Much appreciated. 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    i went a bit overkill. Used 36 segments, could've probably done it with 18, but i'm tired. 

if you want to learn how to find a solution, there's almost always one. But as Kroma did, that's the fastest way. And in this industry we strive for being fast and efficient! =) 

• PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, no, these suggestions look great, I just don't actually know how to make them. I don't know how to make that slope constant, or how to remove that pinching right where the nub is.