Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Rekov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    I have a rather general question, but hopefully some of you guys can help me out. It basically has to do with how you break down large objects  for texturing in an efficient manner so that they can be used as a game environment.

Let's say I have a very large cave that I want to look seamless for a game environment. How would you go about texturing this? If you unwrapped it, you would either have to tile a texture, almost guaranteeing a seam, or you could have to have a massive texture and end up with very low detail, which is going to matter since the normal will be so important for this.

This is just as an example. Obviously it's nowhere near the desired end goal, but it gives a sense of the kind of thing I'm talking about. How would you go about constructing something of this scale so that it could be used in Unity, for example.

• low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low_seb polycounter lvl 12
    to Pedro Amorim
    haha ,awesome polycounters, thanks for the little tutorial, I tried with probolean but but not with the imprint option, nice tip

to Rekov
    generally, we don't work like this (with a large textured mesh) but with several assets (rocks, stalactites ) used several time in the level, and maybe a large mesh as base, withe some decal or/and vertex blended shader
  • Rekov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rekov polycounter lvl 5
    I suppose I could make the speleothems as separate objects easily enough, but there has to be -some- way to make large cave like things for games, because I see them all over the place. I'll see if I can figure out that vertex blending stuff.
  • quatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quatic polycounter lvl 9
    read through all the pages, Sub D modeling i still lost on creating details like holes in guns and grooves on handles and magazine parts. i created a magazine block out of M4 Magazine. 

update it with more ref gotta sleep will upload block out of it after i wake up 
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could model it straight and then apply a little bend at the end.
  • quatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quatic polycounter lvl 9
    Here is the block out so far 
  • cyberkho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyberkho polycounter lvl 2
    hi...

im modelling an old carriage in maya but for the last part (the wheels) im stuck with this...

how to avoid that...:)

thx in advance guys...
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    cyberkho said:
    hi...

im modelling an old carriage in maya but for the last part (the wheels) im stuck with this...

thx in advance guys...
    If you mean the center part with the holes this is how you should do.
    Model just a part, add subdivision, add bend modifier and smooth again.

• Roubirbis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roubirbis null
    HI!
    Tried my best to find similar case in this thread, but did not manage to. So would be happy if anyone could give any advice. 
    On the left is the shape I'm trying to smooth. On the right is what I accomplished so far. Regions marked red are problematic, but ok for now. But I have no idea how to make the central triangular part (which should look exactly like on the left after smoothing), anything I do brings me to artifacts.
    Sorry for bad English and thank you in advance.

• quatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quatic polycounter lvl 9
    any noob hard surface challenges?
  • oscrjhnssn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oscrjhnssn polycounter lvl 3
    cyberkho said:
    thx in advance guys...
    Hi. You need to better plan out your cylinders subdivisions. I whipped this up really fast without looking for proper references. Hope you can see what's going on.

For the hub I'm using 24 subdivisions. For the spokes 6 is enough. And finally for the felloe 36 - the bigger cylinder the more divisions you will need to hold the shape. It's not perfect by any means but I'm guessing it's gonna end up as a wooden wheel and therefor this should suffice. 
  • quatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quatic polycounter lvl 9
    anyone can respond the m4 magazine clip
  • oscrjhnssn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oscrjhnssn polycounter lvl 3
    quatic said:
    I can take a look later but first I would suggest you model it like a rectangular box first and then use a bend deformer to get the curvature like Pedro suggested. Try that out and show us what you end up with. It should make your life much easier :)
  • cyberkho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyberkho polycounter lvl 2
    hi...

PROBLEM SOLVED...thx a lot guys...thx SIDK for the bend advice...and thx OSCRJHNSSN for that good tips felloe subdivs = 1.5 hub subdivs...my first goal was to avoid the concav thing on the inner part of the felloe...and u r right a wooden wheel is not as perfect as a metal wheel...so for the subdivs i think ill lower them a bit more...

thx again...
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    hi guys, this is not really a "how/help to do X" question, since I was able to get the desired look I'm after (just needs a bit more refining), but rather a "how to do it in a better way" type question.
    I'm modelling a violin and this spiral piece on the head was quite difficult for me to do.
    here's the reference and my result

I'm working with modo, and since I don't know of any spiral/helix primitive I started with just a polygon then selected just an edge and used the Radial Sweep tool to get a basic spiral going.. but I couldn't get a very accurate start on the spiral, and so I had to tweak every vert by hand and from there I started extruding edges and tweak the verts as I went along the spiral.  is there a better way of going about this?

thanks for the help!
  • quatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quatic polycounter lvl 9
    quatic said:
    I can take a look later but first I would suggest you model it like a rectangular box first and then use a bend deformer to get the curvature like Pedro suggested. Try that out and show us what you end up with. It should make your life much easier :)
    i curved a little better like pedro suggested 
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Roubirbis said:
    HI!
    Tried my best to find similar case in this thread, but did not manage to. So would be happy if anyone could give any advice. 
    On the left is the shape I'm trying to smooth. On the right is what I accomplished so far. Regions marked red are problematic, but ok for now. But I have no idea how to make the central triangular part (which should look exactly like on the left after smoothing), anything I do brings me to and artifacts.
    Sorry for bad English and thank you in advance.

Can you give us the model, thanks.
  • Roubirbis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roubirbis null
    Thanks, for taking a shot, cookedpeanut. Here it is http://rgho.st/8dvwDYLKN
    Also, tried to progress, but instead lost the curvature on upper parts. and started to have problems in central area.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Roubirbis , try this. I also reflowed the top corner just because. I also adjusted flow around the triangle bit, i felt it looked better with a little less pinching.

@quatic This thread is for people who have already learned the fundementals but need advice on finer points, not a beginners progress log thread. Start your own for that.
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Something like this, you need more horizontal geometry for the curved recess...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7741113/3D/Tri_Bucket.obj
  • anim8_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi i was wondering how you would model this specially the outer pattern, thanks in advance
  • Roubirbis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roubirbis null
    @cookedpeanut, @throttlekitty  Thanks for your time! That really helped to move off dead center.

• Roubirbis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roubirbis null
    @anim8_ You could start from making a base mesh similar to your outer pattern. Then making a copy of it, further refining one of the copies, and using "lattice" (if you're in 3ds max, or something similar, in other software) on the other. 
  • dixi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dixi polycounter lvl 8
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    dixi said:
    You need more horizontal lines. AKA more geometry!
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    dixi said:

Like S1DK said, more geo should make it go away, did it quickly here, so you should be able to do it with a bit less, but shows what the more geo does.

and here is the OBJ https://www.dropbox.com/s/86khhv3xjelnbc0/DIXI_POLYCOUNT.obj?dl=0

• ZiDo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZiDo polycounter lvl 2
    Hi all! Any ideas how I can model this one ? :)

• gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    perna said:

Zido, very interesting challenge. It kicked my ass at first.

The shape has rotational symmetry and is called a 2,1 Goldberg polyhedron, with collapsed pentagons.

I put together a process for making this without external tools or scripting. There's no eyeballing or approximation involved:

More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_polyhedron
    This is fantastic, and here I was anticipating you to tell him to "try something first before asking". Outstanding job, yet again.
  • ZiDo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZiDo polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for ideas. Well at the end of the day it become with hand positioning, rotations and welds :)

• Rayvhen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayvhen polycounter lvl 2
    May be in the wrong subforum here but I have a quick modeling question. For creating fabric that will be rigged and animated things like tabards strips of cloth etc would this be modeled using a single poly plane with divisions or as an object with additional geometry to give it some depth? Also would you model in the rips and tears or use transparency mapping to fake it (single plane obviously)? This is for a maya base mesh that will be detailed and sculpted in zbrush to generate normals. Destined for Unreal 4. Any tips or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
  • S3nsej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S3nsej null
    Hey. I have problem with TurboSmooth. There is no double vertexes, every vertex is welded, but still turbosmooth is not working, and what's funny that problem is not on the whole object but in several places only. 
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    i knew that problem. i think its a bug. my work around is just to delete the "bugged" faces and bridge them together again
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna thanks! thats the much smoother way, hehe (;
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    how can i model this shape  

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you mean, how to model it in one shape? than its not that simple. here is what i came out with:

im not the best hardsurface modeller here, but i think the result is okay (; perhaps you can put in some more geometry from the start, to get a cleaner result.  i used the double turbosmoth method for this, maybe it was a fault xD 

• BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    MaxHoek: Thanks that help me make the shape

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BI0H0G thats great! you`re welcome 
  • ZiDo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZiDo polycounter lvl 2
    Hi! Is somebody have time can try this for modeling. I'm talking only about back of the armchair. It is marked in red :)

• Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    This is really basic. But it's stumped me... I can't figure out how to make my fluted column "round" I modeled it flat since I found that as the easiest way especially with the half sphere at the top and bottom of the fluting. 

Any Blender users out there who know how to make this "plane" a cylinder without affecting the fluting/grooves?

I looked around on youtube and saw plenty of videos on how to do it in 3dsmax but nothing in Blender.... 

I am a bit embarrassed considering I have been modeling for several years yet can't make a simple plane a cylinder  :anguished:

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Dagon said:
    This is really basic. But it's stumped me... I can't figure out how to make my fluted column "round" I modeled it flat since I found that as the easiest way especially with the half sphere at the top and bottom of the fluting. 

Any Blender users out there who know how to make this "plane" a cylinder without affecting the fluting/grooves?

I looked around on youtube and saw plenty of videos on how to do it in 3dsmax but nothing in Blender.... 

I am a bit embarrassed considering I have been modeling for several years yet can't make a simple plane a cylinder  :anguished:

This is really simple to do without using your method (even though i find your method real good). 

Just make a simple cylinder with right amount of geo, inset, extrude and voila. i took a cylinder with 28 sides.. more than enough, but depends on how much detail you want. 

1. cylinder, make the right size, use the right amount of geo
    2. Delete top and bottom
    3. Inset the faces per poly
    4. extrude inwards and added support loops
    5. FFD modifier

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Dagon said:

method1
    -model everything flat and use an array modifier
    -create a circle and convert to curve, or create a nurbs circle (whatever)
    -add a curve modifier, select your circle, voila

this method is not 100% accurate, since you need to adjust the circle size to close the gap..

method 2 (cleaner solution)
    -model everything flat and use an array modifier
    -add a simple deform modifier, select bend
    -add empty and use the empty as origin
    -now you can rotate the empty so the objects bend in whatever direction you want

it also works without empty, but from my experience, its easier with an emptyobject as pivot

• Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Thank you Wirrex and SnowInChina! I tried both of your methods. I found that SnowInChina's "Method 2" worked best. Although I did not use an empty I found it suited my needs perfectly. Thank you guys so much.

RESULTS

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Shinigami said:

anyone got a good idea how to support these areas? I always have to less geometry but when I want to add geo, it gets really hard getting this circular extrusion round because having to work with alot of geometry and trying to make it round is hard and messy.

I know how to get the shape, its just a cube, 6,6,6 segments each+scaling work.Then use spherify and that pretty much wraps up the basic shape. However its really hard supporting the shapes. Any help is appreicated.
    Create a cube + spherify
    Edit it to get to the shape you want
    Start to extract geo to get the panels you want =) and rework them! 
    Cause those are panels, seperated pieces . Easier to work with
  • wirrexx
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Anyone know how to create a... Hexagonal cylinder?

Sort of like this but for cylinders

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 said:
    Anyone know how to create a... Hexagonal cylinder?

Sort of like this but for cylinders

its pretty easy like @perna told. 
    here a quick description, hope it will help you. 

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    The thought had crossed my mind that it would involve blenders.. "simple" deform modifier,

thanks.
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello there!
    I hope you guys could share some knowledge with me. Dunno if a simmilar matter has been asked in here, hope not.
    Original Paul Pepera Artwork here: http://peperaart.com/d2.html

Thx!

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive tried modeling that shape in various forms, poly by poly, booleaning and correcting topology (worst) and even doing booleans with very high poly proimitives and doing a retopo on top (best result so far) but its far from practical and as smooth as on the image. Any tips? Its a very hard shape to get smooth. Am I just being nitpicky and already got to a good point? Thing is im not happy with the result, its messy. Thre is disparity in the resolution of the geometry. Ive even tried the boolean-zbrush-dynamesh approach and its garbage. The following is doing a retopo on top of the result ive got from Zbrush in max paying attention to edgeflow and shit. Not happy with it, it looks kinda bad where the polys are very dense, etc...
    Cheers and thanks!

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks perna for the input!
    I´ve put way too much work (and polys) on the shape, its driving me nuts. It should not be that hard... I guess...
    So you say the best method is booleaning while finding the best match in realtime and then clean it up?
    I would love to see someone giving it a try :P 
    Im using 3DS Max by the way