Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kart racing game

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think i make will a cart to go for this.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update, things have been pretty quiet the last few weeks as we are doing some re-writing of the network system, keep an eye out on the blog for more on that soon. I took advantage of some of the down time to give the Zero Gear website a face lift: http://MyZeroGear.com

I think it better reflects the game and our style, let me know if you find any issues with it.
  • Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great. I noticed a typo on your contact page, enjoy is spelt enojoy :)
  • marshmonkey
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I think this is a great game! Im really interested in making something for fun. I have used the specs on the wiki to try and make the Back to the Future DMC.

2998 tri kart / 720 tri wheels

Couple questions;

I noticed there is no start-up animation listed in the animation list on wiki. So when the typical camera crane drop behind my kart at race start, will I see a single animation that transitions me into the ongoing race animation (idle)?

It looks like the texture sizes are 512 - driver / 512 - kart. . Im guessing all items that are interchangeable - wheels / hats / accessories ect have their own maps, what are the map size limits for these?

Is the kart restricted to being a single object?

dmc.gif?w=480
    dmc_front.gif?w=480

Im really excited about Zero Gear!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    :O This needs to get in-game.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    haha, you know what's funny about this? I'm watching Back to the Future 2 right now :D

Very cool vehicle
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is a great game! Im really interested in making something for fun. I have used the specs on the wiki to try and make the Back to the Future DMC.

2998 tri kart / 720 tri wheels

Couple questions;

I noticed there is no start-up animation listed in the animation list on wiki. So when the typical camera crane drop behind my kart at race start, will I see a single animation that transitions me into the ongoing race animation (idle)?

It looks like the texture sizes are 512 - driver / 512 - kart. . Im guessing all items that are interchangeable - wheels / hats / accessories ect have their own maps, what are the map size limits for these?

Is the kart restricted to being a single object?

Im really excited about Zero Gear!

-haha, that is awesome :) We have no idea of a "startup" animation right now, the idle animation is something that is playing at all times.

-512 is a good guideline, more important than the size of the texture is the size of the data, we don't know that the limit will be yet since we haven't tried sending the items across the network yet, but there will be a size limit for all of the assets together. When I come up with that size it will probably be based around 512 sized textures, but I can't say for certain if a 1024 would fit or not. I usually make all my textures at 1024 anyway, then shrink them after.

-The kart is restricted to a single mesh file, and the wheel(s) are a single mesh file.

I would recommend having the kart in the wheels up position to start (if it will fit in the bounding box) and then having the subtle floating motion as the idle loop. The only problem is that the character is positioned at a static point, so he wouldn't animate along with the bobbing. Being able to specify a bone in the kart to parent the character to would fix that, but unfortunately that is something we don't support at the moment. It might be something we could add but I have to confess we are frying much bigger fish at the moment (revamping the networked physics system) so I can't promise we could look at that soon.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I understand you have bigger fish to fry. For me its no problem at all, Ill simply start the car in floaty mode like you say, and make the bobbing more subtle so that the character doesnt dive to far into the karts mesh. Ill put more animation into the wheels maybe to simulate the float.... Im mearly a fan of your awesome game, anything I can do to get my car to race around a bit, Ill do.

Are you planning to have stats for the karts? like driving stats? Turning precision, speed ect?
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at one point we wanted to have those be tweakable in the garage, not sure if / when we would get to it. They would never be tied to a specific kart though, just something anyone could tune.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just finished doing a new character. this one is a silly sally, he looks quite ridiculous in all our hats and accessories.

eyeguy.png
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    haha awesome, he works well with the rimlighting, almost looks velvety :)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished editing a trailer for the game that will hopefully be posted on our IGF entry page, take a look.

trailerthumb.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I really hope you guys succeed with this one,- best luck
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Always excited to see new videos man :) You guys are doing great!

Good luck!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that video is looking great. love the colors.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made a new character over the last few days, say hello to Cacti the cactus

cacti.png

I am trying to get to 9 (stock) items in every custom item category (karts, characters, wheels, hats, accessories) and this makes 9 characters. I think I just need to make a few more accessories to fill everything out.

*edit* actually I can't count, this makes 11 characters
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Nice work! Very inspiring.

Let me know when it's released, I'll pick up a copy.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out the screenshot and maybe you will be able to guess what it is!

kickitsmall.jpg
    Oh man!! If you can do a full football game like in Top Gear!! Whoo! That would rock!!

**Can you slip in a Subaru-ish WRX Station wagon?**
  • Pedro Amorim
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    ahh man...that sucks balls. stupid EA. zeroGear looks loads better...but you'll be accused of ripping off the sims shit now.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, I'm not worried about some 2-bit company called "EA" ;)

Our main focus is going to be a lot more than racing, so I think we will be ok.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aug...

Anyways marsh, keep it up man!!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit man, that's a pretty heavy attempt at a xerox copy of your game. Just keep plowing ahead, you should be fine :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course, you know people are going to claim you copied EA now :/
    (not that you should give up... just saying)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kart games have a long and storied history of copying a certain SNES game, I don't think an argument about copying in any direction carries much water.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    are you going to release for mac? I think the intel binary switch is quite simple.

would give you a feather in your cap over EA.

btw I think you should make a bit of stink about this, they obviously copied you. It would raise the profile of your game, make a post on digg or something. I mean, if you guys built your game behind closed doors this EA game would look radically different.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    btw I think you should make a bit of stink about this, they obviously copied you. It would raise the profile of your game, make a post on digg or something. I mean, if you guys built your game behind closed doors this EA game would look radically different.
    My Sims have been around for a long time, I doubt EA copied his game. A racing game with SD (super deformed) characters for a platform that screams "kiddie". My guess is EA wants a taste of that Mario Kart pie for the Wii/DS.

Just keep on working and release your game.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    come off it, have you watched the videos? the environments are almost identical, the garage is almost identical. There's some heavy "inspiration" going on.

but what better to generate a buzz in the gaming community?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The garage is almost identical? The only thing that's "identical" is that they both have cars on lifts, tools and a door to get in and out of. OP's garage and art looks way better than what EA is offering anyways.

Having a car on a lift in a game where you can change the look and performance of your car has been in many street racing games.

garage.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldnt be too worried about it, I dont see even one good comment on that video.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    yeah there are some similarities.. but srsly? the sims thing looks like a nother 13 in a dozen cashin kartgame, just some tracks with silly powerups, whereas ZG has some really original game modes. add on top more customizability and better graphics, and bye EA
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm kinda with hawken on this. I mean the environment obviously look better in Zero Gear... but that cowboy town and shit... wasn't that the first thing you guys posted a long time ago? Maybe they got hold of it for inspiration... either way, it does look a bit too much like each other, just Zero Gear having much more character (which is a shit ton better).
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    in your own interest, check this out:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44092.html

looks almost 1:1, quite scary
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I thought that video was ZG at first.. :( btw, saw the finalists for IGF, you guys didn't get in this year? I thought you made the deadlines?
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    This looks like a sweet project to work on! I love the overall style! Awesome Sauce!!!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About mysims racing:
    Personally I don't believe they copied us, and even if they did glean any inspiration from our game (which I doubt, since most of our similarities are just general obvious racing game ideas) we certainly don't have the time or energy to spare to make a stink about it. I also wouldn't want our game to get press simply because we were whining about something like that.

As for IGF, yes we entered - no we didn't get nominated for anything. It sucks, and we were a little bummed for about a day - but we really have no time to waste on any distractions besides getting this game to a releasable state. Maybe we will enter it again next year when it is actually in the wild.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow EA, that is AWFUL! As soon as I thought they were turning their shit around they go and do this. My lord that is amazingly similar, such a shame. It's ok though, Zero Gears looks way better anyway, haha.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    hmm, I haven't noticed this til now.

It's a bummer you guys didn't get nominated. i personally looked at every game entered and read their comments. From the entries ZG deffinately looked the best imo and it seemed their comments for it was better than most.

I don't think EA will be much competition on the steam platform anyway, but that last pic of the garages side by side.... Well it's easy to tell. ZG puts the other to shame. Honestly that other just doesn't even look good even if ZG wasn't next to it to make it look bad.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to get a little more exposure for ZG before we come out with the next beta version, I submitted our trailer video to digg,

http://digg.com/pc_games/Trailer_released_for_physics_driven_PC_Kart_game_Zero_Gear

if you want to toss a digg our way.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I dont want to digg I wanna play..... huurrryyy uppppp !!!!!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    EA try to copy good stuff, take it as flattery and use it in your sales patter
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah years ago a mod me and kman were working on for BF1942 was out rite ripped off after we posted info about it. They released a month before we did so we got shat on by fans of the game for ripping EA off... Be careful timing is everything.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    I dont want to digg I wanna play..... huurrryyy uppppp !!!!!

We are going as fast as we can! :p

If only I could clone myself and Brian into 4 or 8 extra people that didn't need to eat or sleep.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just want to say this thread always has me eager to see more progress on this game, really looking forward to playing it and as for that EA game lol I can't say it compares to what you've posted up on the game so far :)
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Saw this on the front page of Gametrailers.com! Congrats! :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    They released a month before we did so we got shat on by fans of the game for ripping EA off... Be careful timing is everything.

That's exactly what I was getting at :) For some reason, it's always assumed that they big companies came up with it first, even when you actually release it first. Not that it matters who did it first, but it can really give your game a bad rep erroneously.
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work Marshmonkey. Keep it up.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    long time no updates, I am in the middle of making a map to test out a new gameplay mode that will basically just trying to be the first to get from start to end, with checkpoints along the way to save the progress you have made should you fall off.

spacejumpvid.jpg

In other happenings, I just moved into some new office space with my brother eeenmachine. I'm looking forward to having a nice quiet place to work on Zero Gear!