Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kart racing game

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    the holes in the steering wheel are alpha, that piece is double sided too so it's only 4 polys.
    (I assume so, I posted on Ogre forums to ask how to do that and stated I was crunching polys. Another game I've used actually added polys if you used 'DblSided' in the conversion process.)

Yeah, the pulleys on front of engine do kill some polys, and can't be seen well But if I remove them the whole engine is wrong. I've removed all excess polys there too. I thought about maing it jst 2 pulleys instead of 4, but basically it's one for the crankshaft, 2 for the valves, one for tension.

I actually think I might end up makeing the leaf springs the twosided mtr and get rid off all the side polys on them. Thats 44 right there. Will rarely be seen and are less important to overall looks than the pulleys.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putting the finishing touches on for the very first test build of the garage to go to the folks already creating stuff! My default character right now is Baron Von Evelsok

evilsock.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Would love to get the garage. Been working on a few things here.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    hell yeah,
    been working on another car as well
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    due to all the kick ass stuff people are making recently, we are going to make a push to try and get a build of the garage into people's hands sometime this week. While we are putting a last lick of paint on some things, everyone who is interested on getting their hands on the garage to start seeing how your stuff will fit into the game - go to the zero gear forums: http://myzerogear.com/phpBB3/ register a username, and then send a PM to marshmonkey that also contains a shot of something you have worked on for Zero Gear.

get goin! It will be released in the test forum on myzerogear.com
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    buggy modeling done
    1956 triangles
    kartGame_buggy_01.jpg

I know the head area might be a problem,- but without those bars there the model would have a lot less charme. It even has a little motor in the back
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jebus, I am never going to have to model any more karts! woot!

that looks awesome!! I can forsee some issues the the head clipping through the top bars. You will be able to see what I mean if you load it in the garage. We have all the animations triggerable in there. I think we might have a download for you guys tonight so go register already!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great. Baron Von Evelsok :D lol

That buggy is cool too.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    later on tonight I am going to try and get a wiki set up on the site so I can start laying out all the editing information, hopefully I can set it up so some of you guys can help.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The Ferrari is dopeness.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, SPECIAL PRIZE available in the private zero gear forums for content creators. If you have been working on something, please register on the forums and PM me with what you are working on so I can give you access to the SPECIAL PRIZE

*edit* SPECIAL PRIZE = garage editor
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    pm sent!

update on the Challenger

muscle.jpg
    still lots to do, but getting closer!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice Carbon14, how many triangles do you have?- to me it looks like you could still add more triangles from a budget perspective

started on a smart, 840 tris so far
    kartGame_smart_01.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude! you are on fire man!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great idea! It will be a good choice for the environmentally conscious :p
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    2mq53cw.jpg

here's looking at you kid.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    little progress
    kartGame_smart_02.jpg
    will have to cut some triangles but the details are working out well
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot, first person to get stuff into the game!

also, been starting to fill in a wiki for editing purposes, take a look http://myzerogear.com/wiki

man that is looking sharp renderhjs

There might be some clipping issues with the windshield but nothing easily fixed.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eherm... I got my wheel in the first night. :D
    (of course it was enormous, maybe 300 feet tall, so I guess it was a failed attempt) ;)-

Congrats Skizot!!! I'm jealous, I get to work on it again tonight though. I'm shooting for first Kart in game.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    258aqtf.jpg

snipers' done!

side note.

general noriega has decided to join the zero gear ranks
    2qcl9o5.jpg
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qxkmtk.jpg

oh god make it stop :( soo bored.

must make accessories!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    king of the road!
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's BATMALE
    14nd4y0.jpg

pior's model makes an awesome BATFEMALE

24uzyub.jpg

though they could use a better BATVEHICLE

preferably tim burtons
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my T Bucket in the garage, having exporter issues though so it's not quite there
    zero_tbucket.jpg
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I agree about the Batvechicle :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thought they could use a better BATVEHICLE

preferably tim burtons
    I´d really like to do that,- but if you are in for that go ahead,- nice batman masks
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought about a bat vehicle too :D But I have other ideas, I'd like to see what someone comes up with.

I like the old school one with bubble windows and huge fins in the back.
    Check it out now, Funk Soul Brother, right about now, Funk Soul Brother...
    FunkShowBro.jpg

Think I need to move the afro down a little, might need to be bigger too?

The anims for right turn are twitchy for some reason.

Wheels are in game.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't have any plans for the batvehicle... feel free to make something!

(thought was SUPPOSED to be though)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Skizot wrote: »
    i don't have any plans for the batvehicle... feel free to make something!
    hey cool,- will make a tim burton edition (my favourite of all batman versions)
    ...The anims for right turn are twitchy for some reason.
    did you made the animations linear?- I assume that the engine requires that to interpolates correctly to the desired turn state.

just started unwrapping the smart- will bake AO after that - and try to install the garage ;)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I did go back and edit the curves though. I forgot how to make them linear :)

I just filled out a troubleshooting page for scaling objects on the Zero Gear Wiki. I have a racecar to scale.3ds also if you want it.

http://myzerogear.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    oh yes,- finally a 3ds file would be nice,- with all the maya stuff I have so far (different z-axis stuff,...) its sometimes a little bit confusing- working with 3dsmax as well.
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a nifty idea for those whilling to make it. What about a nifty chariot-wheeled chassy?
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbqfk6.jpg

COOOOOBBBRRAAAAA
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbqfk6.jpg

COOOOOBBBRRAAAAA

I FUKKEN LOVE COBRA

how about a stormtrooper helmet?
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dat could be possible...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice,

If ya do a stormtrooper you gotta do darth vader, or at least Dark Helmet :)

dark_helmet_1.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    next is the batmobile

kartGame_smart_03.jpg
    will be trying to get the models I have so far in the engine within the next days
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    You guys are machines
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am already so glad that we decided to make custom content a big part of our game! And introducing it to polycount was the perfect place! You guys rock!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    batmobile work in progress:
    kartGame_batmobile_01.jpg
    with all these details and complex rounded surfaces this one will be going to be tough
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

awesome!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    awesome labour of love!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    this really is an incredible thread
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this really is an incredible thread

Thanks Kevin, it is a bit opposite of the art style you are probably used to :p I am humbled by your UT3 & gears work!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this is an incredibly incredible thread!

so if we make content we get a free copy of the game?
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »

hmm, I have never thought of that - but it is a very interesting idea. A more immediate thing to be considering is spots for beta testers!

This is an answer to a question I had written on the SA forums, but it would actually apply more to people here so I thought I would cross post it. It is about the two ways we are considering distributing all these awesome items.
    We don't plan on distributing all these items as part of the base game people are paying for. There will be a set of the ones that I have already made that will come standard, and then there will be all the other ones people have created that will be easily and closely integrated into the game. For legal purposes, we don't wish to be selling other people's content as our own, but the integration and ease of access to obtain and share all these third party items will be of paramount importance.

We have two different ideas for how we want to distribute these items, both of which have their pros and cons.

Method 1 - the viral method:
    In this method, people obtain new items in one of two ways. First, the items will have to be obtained / downloaded (from anywhere) and put into the game by some users. Then, it will be available to other players they interact with online through some mechanism. In this method, you would be able to grab custom items directly from other players through the game.

Pros:
    - makes it a little more personal to acquire items from other actual players
    - Items can be downloaded and distributed in any fashion
    - less work for us, the developers
    - it is autonomous, meaning that there is no dependency on any one party to keep this system going

Cons:
    - no high level control over obscene, legally infringing, or buggy items
    - all available items are not all displayed in one place
    - transferring the items through the game server would have some performance impact

Method 2 - the database method
    In this method, items can only be downloaded into the game from an official database of items. This web database would work similar to youtube where all the content is uploaded freely and democratically controlled by the users. It would be easy to browse all available content in this fashion and download it seamlessly into the game, possibly from inside the game itself. Since all items would be indexed, when the player needs to obtain a new item it does not have - it would download it from this web database instead of getting it from the other player.

Pros:
    - democratic rating and control over obscene items
    - more custom content would be seen by more people, see the entire library of available content in one place
    - would be easier to find and acquire new content
    - downloading the custom content from a separate server leaves more bandwidth free for gameplay

Cons:
    - much more work for us to set up
    - system would rely on the maintenance of this item database, if that goes down or dissapears, so does the ability to send and receive custom items

---
    so there you are, some unique insight into our decision. We are not planning to charge anyone for any custom items, unless it was some kind of arranged content pack where we had official agreements with the content authors.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Method 2 - the database method
    In this method, items can only be downloaded into the game from an official database of items. This web database would work similar to youtube where all the content is uploaded freely and democratically controlled by the users. It would be easy to browse all available content in this fashion and download it seamlessly into the game, possibly from inside the game itself. Since all items would be indexed, when the player needs to obtain a new item it does not have - it would download it from this web database instead of getting it from the other player.

Pros:
    - democratic rating and control over obscene items
    - more custom content would be seen by more people, see the entire library of available content in one place
    - would be easier to find and acquire new content
    - downloading the custom content from a separate server leaves more bandwidth free for gameplay

Cons:
    - much more work for us to set up
    - system would rely on the maintenance of this item database, if that goes down or dissapears, so does the ability to send and receive custom items

i JUST read this on SA (Okay I'm vain and was seeing if anyone commented on my hats) and thought about it... method 2 would be the way to go, if you need any help / database mirrors, i can do both if it helps keep you guys on track.

on the same note, couldn't an IN GAME item browser make distribution alot easier? seeing as how all of my items (6-7 of them) fit in a meg, we could easily have it download them for people, show the icon and everything :)
  • Vylaroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »

Oh well, I'm planning to model some stuff AND buy it, just to support these guys out. :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it would be interesting if extra content were something you gained from achievements.

Or even better, if you could bet items on races and winner takes all :)

Rarity makes things more fun.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The batmobile is looking tits so far renderhjs, your cars are my favorite i've seen. chi-bi cars 4tw.