Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    bastard quick reply just lost all me writtin. so in short

hawken- will get blog soon maybe. also painted lighting seems fine, seems to work rather than confuse

jackablade- that system looks WHack. ofh and there aint enogh flickering to justify makeing more textures for that level.

ferg are those balls or a heart?

johny lots of invisible stuff going on at mo will post more when its worth it =D

heres Ferraris player model.

ferrarifin.jpg

and ive been playing with a charcter select screen idea. what do you think. writting/and arrows are poop

topselectscreen.jpg
    bottomscreen.gif
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    There's a little shift in the looping of that water that makes my eyes think the plane is going backwards. I stared at that water for atleast 2 minutes straight, hypnotized O.o
    I like to overall idea, maybe move those clouds in the back a bit. I'd even suggest puting an island or two in the back that shifts when the next character is selected also. The black line on the horizon is too thick for me. I've loved watching this project, how close/far is it from completion?

BTW, I always copy my reply to my clipboard before I hit the evil little continue button. :]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah looping its just a moocked up Gif at the mo just to give you the idea. rela version will have plabne bob a little, and maybe the possibiltiy of using the touch screen to move the camera around a little.

when you select a different character icon that plane will fly forwards into cameras and the new one will load and fly into possition from the far distance.

the black line on the horizon is the bit between the two screens (i have no control over that =D) i already have the clouds moving. theyre on cylindrs that rotate around the character, and each layer moves at different speed (a bit like parrellex scrolling) to give a feeling of depth.

i like the idea of some islands
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would change the screens the other way round, have the selection screen on the touch screen, and the plane on the top screen.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    looks fan effing tastic...Can i play?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    when you select a different character icon that plane will fly forwards into cameras and the new one will load and fly into possition from the far distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can visualize the plane leaving the screen by coming towards the camera, banking up (don't know the terminology) into the top screen, just missing the camera. You could also use that to sort of "wipe away" the character icon and bring in the next. Might give a neat little effect. You never answered the whole "how far/close is this from/to completion?" question. :]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the mo id say were along way off completion, it probably looks more complete than it is. heres a rough estimate. could be very off with the coding side of things.

50% complete with the planes.

30% complete with the first level. (10% complete on figuring out hoe to implement the whole thing)

coding maybe 40% i dont know really, still got some major bits to put in ???

Geezus- like that idea, but i dont know how/if it would be possible.

tremulant- maybe later if you get yourself a homebrew DS

Almighty-Gir- i dont know because then the horizon wont work and i want the touch screen to work as a model viewer so ytou can pull the veiw round tyo the side with the stylus
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres the LODs for ferrari
    ferrariLODs.jpg

after this im gonna take a break off planes, so last night i had fun with...... well see if you can recognise it.

Ginas2.jpg

Ginas1.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    its ginas hotel/ restaurant / island ! everbody who knows the movie is gonan recognize it ... i as a matter of fact was thinking about making a counter striek source map base on this a couple of month ago ! smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely. You really are an inspiration, Shepiero.

You should get your code monkey to get you some vert lighting to play with. Its great for picking out edges, simple shading and can making the forms pop that little bit more. It'll also save you texture space, which the programming fella will like.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure about vertex lighting, but i was thinking about maybe spliting the model in half and slightly darken, blueish it for shade.. dont know if itll be possible but it could look cool.

i dont see how it would save texture space there isnt really much i can save

glad you recognised it.

warby that CS level would be a cool idea. could add some secret tunnels/drains inside tha island and lots of hidden garden paths.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can save texture space by not needing recoloured textures for shadowed areas, varied colours and the like. They'll often allow you to use a very low resolution texture where you might have required a larger, more detailed one. That kind of thing. Once you get vertex lighting you'll wonder how you did without it. Its like magic

Anyway, you can spare the texture space then you can work how you like. What you're doing at present is certainly working, on a high res PC screen at least.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep we got vertex lighting

figuring out how to do all the material and vertex exporting now . it complicates things, but will be worth it.

heres the done thing

Ginas3.jpg

Ginas4.jpg

and a boat from the begining of the film.

porcoboat1.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking really nice man wink.gif !

Looking foward for some new movies please!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I'd sell my mother for a "Porco Rosso rom + emulator" package laugh.gif

Looks awesome dude !
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    that is kicking some low poly ass! very nice Shepeiro.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Looks awesome dude !

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunatly al the DS emulation progs ive tried dont support 3d very well at all. otherwise i wouldnt have so many probs getting good vids of it =(

Eli the programmer has just put in a new screen dump into the game so i should show some good piccys soon, (video aint pos though =( )

heres my latest bit of doo doo, its Fio's experimental jet plane she made after the film (artistic liscence)

called Piccolo no1

FIO1.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    bloody great stuff in here man, keep it up! smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Eli the programmer has just put in a new screen dump into the game so i should show some good piccys soon, (video aint pos though =( )

[/ QUOTE ]

Record a demo and dump it screen by screen, not possible either?

BTW this stuff kicks some butts!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Looks awesome dude !

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunatly al the DS emulation progs ive tried dont support 3d very well at all. otherwise i wouldnt have so many probs getting good vids of it =(

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope something will be rlzed when YOUR proto will be ! crazy.gif Porco Rosso rulez !
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    SHEPEIRO what emulator are you using? I have a very good Japanese one that I got off the cover of an emulation magazine. You need to enable Japanese support in Windows to get it running though.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    btw do you guys have permission from studio gibli to do this with their ip ? or havent you pitched this yet ?

wouldnt be a bad thing if you havent i am just curious

after all we did codename gordon without official permission from valve and it was almost completly done when we pitched it / they picked it up for steam. ( still mega glad xt and i didnt get into any trouble there ^^ )
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken- ive tried Dualis, and my programmer tried another one, but neither worked, we kind of gave up on it, but send it and ill give it a go....... cheers in advance =D

thomas- cheers, i hope we will be able to do this

Warby- i wish, ATM its still personal/portfolio work at worst, with slight inclings that if we get a playable, enjoyable, propper game like level then we approach Ghibli, but as i say, ATM its portfolio at worst.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres some hideout

porcoshideout2.jpg

porcoshideout.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right me hearties.

heres the 1st level so far

1stleveldesign.jpg

and heres some designs for the next few (may not be done, but i had fun wid dem pixols)

2nd-windy poop valley( hopefully strong side wind above cliffs, no wind in valleys) skudding clouds

2ndleveldesign.jpg

3rd- grecko roman ruiny type things

3rdleveldesign.jpg

4th-turin ( i think better check filem) where piccolo factory is
    4thleveldesign.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [fanboy]w00000t ![/fanboy] ooo.gifcrazy.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you liky my avatar
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! This has got me really inspired. You are doing some great work here, SHEPEIRO.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey shep , besides you beeing CRAZY YEP CRAZY ( in a good way ) is there any way to make the water have the same tile pattern ? like by far it is like in the image, but when we come closer to the water the tile gets scalled, is there any way to make the water tile always the same independent of resolution ?

yup i wrote this like a 10 years old...cant do better.
  • pattern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pattern polycounter lvl 18
    Haaaawt!
    Need to get me a DS if only just for the possibility of some day being able to try this...

Need more ghibli pixel goodies!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johny, its not such a problem in game, as i have the scale right, here its just for sommit to put them against. it would be nice to do that, but i think with everything else we have planned well be hitting the DSs roof.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahhahaha more level2. pooop

smaller and with less aches and pains to export than the other stuff, im conetrating on getting this done first now.

2ndlevel.jpg

2ndlevel3.jpg

2ndlevel4.jpg

soon this will al be mine hahhahahhahahhhahahhaha. need sleep.

porcoscene.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, you are an inspiration. If The big N dosent pick you up for this they are crazy Insane.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Shep this stuff is looking insane laugh.gif I'm digging the water with the cliffs, everything is absolutely fantastic.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i wont get out of bed for any less than Nintendo or Sega. =D
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    haha don't know how I missed this thread... Very cool models... and you caught the color palette really well too... Awesome:)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    heya that is looking brillant indeed.

I just would like to see it with the water reflection a bit down :/ as it is just a perfect reflection from the cliffs with no noise i'd prefer to see it softer laugh.gif but it's looking great anyway laugh.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its is reminding me of hogs of war ( best game for ps1 EVAH! )
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Man u are fast, u never sleep?
    Great work!
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    this is bloddy brilliant sheipeiro! genious!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    nice pixel love, I'd play that game !
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah I'm actually depressed it might not reach the shelves smile.gif. you better pimp it to the right people!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I've never really gone in for fan art, realising it's a waste of my time to start any such project / I find it hard to model stuff I love that has already been designed (take laputa for example) - I often only do stuff for my portfolio. And to be honest when I first saw this kurai na butta work I thought there's no chance in hell that you'll ever get it working or released.

But now I realise that this is becoming such a huge body of work, ghibli and nintendo would be mad NOT to pick you up on this. Although there exists no game on any platform with ghibli IP, I guess no one has tried this approach. The graphics stick sweetly to the film. They really are low poly <font color="orange">GOLD</font>

It's good to show others that making DS content is fast and rewarding, can be done on low budgets. Maybe Polycount needs to have a love child with a DS programming forum...

The question now is though, when you have a working prototype, do you sell it on or try to make the game yourself?
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Man this is lookign really awesome! Reminds of the good ole days of gaming.. heh Well, I might suggest talking to the guys at GarageGames once you've got something solid together. I'm not saying that you should necessarily try to publish with them, but that their business model revolves around indie developers and you could get some good help/advice from them. Just a thought... Keep rockin on man!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the thourghts folks, one sticky area about possibly publishing is who do you appraoch first....

studio ghibli- with no publisher/ nintendo liscence.

or

publisher- with no IP liscence ???

Hawken- i know what you mean about fan art, and this project wasnt meant to go so far, but once we got a working plane in game, the fever struck.

YEAH FOLKS, DS WORK IS GREAT, I GET PLENTY OF SLEEP, AND PLENTY OF WORK DONE.

a polycount DS homebrew site link would be ace, just get some kind of model viewer would be ace.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Publishers won't touch you if you don't have permission to use the IP. Get Ghibli on side before you go hunting for someone to sell your product. I nfact get Ghibli on side and publishers will be falling over eachother to sign your game. It'll be tough, but your screenshots show a clear understanding and love of the intellectual property, so you might have a chance at it.

Good luck.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the pointer.

it will be a long way off any way, as wed need something much more complete to show.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoops i got bored and threw this up

DABOHAZE ATTACK

dabohaze.jpg