Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    I think it would look loads better if you could free up enough space to make the side of the car perfectly horizontal. Right now the lines going down the side of the car don't seem sharp enough to me. In my opinion it would look great with sharper creases on the windows, side, etc which would only be possible by straightening out that UV. Also, as was already said, you could lose some of the detail. Right now it looks nice but it won't really show ingame, and could be pulled of just as well with a good texture.

Awesome work!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    DOG-GY makes a very good point.

The easiest way I see to align everything is by switching the side of the car around with the wheel circles, and X-shrinking the tire track.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a cool scene for a small contest on another site.

3D%20-%20Oregon%20Trail%20-%20DOG-GY.png
    Clouds are from an image online but the wood is my own texture. Sand was done myself after getting some colours set up. Everything else is hand painted or baked AO.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I think you need more detail on the wood on the cart. One thing that's really bothering me, is the fact the wood grain is going different ways on the front and side of the cart.

The composition is a bit weird too, but the models and textures aren't that bad (apart from what I mentioned)
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka wrote: »
    I think you need more detail on the wood on the cart. One thing that's really bothering me, is the fact the wood grain is going different ways on the front and side of the cart.

The composition is a bit weird too, but the models and textures aren't that bad (apart from what I mentioned)
    I agree completely. The main reason I didn't is because I was afraid I would run out of time. I plan to revisit the cart, but I'm pretty happy with the rest of it (I lightened up that weird AO too). The grain bothers me too, and I've got tons of stuff I could add from my references.

If you see anything else wonky, do tell. What could I change with the composition? I agree it's weird. It's different than my initial concept.

Thanks!
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    3dmaxter wrote: »
    Old model has 1000 tris

4986455647_77000f1ca4_m.jpg
    for the sake of optimization due to size, i think this will save ~100 poly, texture space and still preserve detail needed
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Zoid wrote: »
    for the sake of optimization due to size, i think this will save ~100 poly, texture space and still preserve detail needed

It will get trised again anyway, converting Tris into Quad will save nothing since in the game the model has to be 100% Tris.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    hehe it will even increase the polycount as the "new" cylinder has 10 sides and the old one only 9 :D
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    You could try making the sides of the wheel just a 2 poly plane, alphaed. You already have set aside texture space for the whole wheel anyways.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are missing the point. The wheel edit isn't supposed to save polies, it's supposed to save texture space. Optimizing the wheels can save him 25% of his total texture space, no sweat:
    cartextureoptimization.png

Polygons would be saved on the headlights mostly. It's also an option to get rid of the insides of the wheels. This would save both polies and texture, while only sporadically affecting visuals (e.g. when the car is upside down).

I'd also try to straighten out the lines on the texture as much as possible, because a little bit of stretching is usually nicer than the stairstepping. A good example of this would be the rear window. Just make a rectangular gray gradient with 1 pixel wide black border. You'll hardly even see it tapering.

Thing is, with high-end models you can use a large texture and blur a tiny bit, and you'll no longer notice individual pixels. But at this size, every pixel counts. You can't afford to blur, and some engines don't even allow for texture filters. So stairstepping and any artifacts from blown-up pixels will be very visible.
    Having a roofsupport shring in width 15% isn't.

The most important lines for you to straighten out are:
    -door panels
    -side guards + highlight
    -windows
    -rooftop (which currently moves over just about 0.7 pixel so that's really a wase and an AA mess)
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    Snader wrote: »
    You guys are missing the point.
    quoted for emphasis as Snader gets it. His advice, critique and examples i also agree with, as if a peer review journal
    It will get trised again anyway, converting Tris into Quad will save nothing since in the game the model has to be 100% Tris.
    The quad wedge was to convey the texture sample to get 5 spokes, it even says in blue the number "10" to explain it will cost 4 more polys in the circles (12 total for all 4 wheels without backs).
    Neox wrote: »
    hehe it will even increase the polycount as the "new" cylinder has 10 sides and the old one only 9 :D
    I have actually been around here for a while .. i think this is the first time i am insulted, certainly, because i gave the guy a solid paint over critique to help him, but now he might shrug it off as if it isn't efficient. (unless you are kidding around which i hope you are) so allow me to defend my limited experience.

1) the tire texture is bigger than the "real size" so it can be smaller anyway
    2) the real way to optimize a circle is like this, which i didn't do intentionally
    4991974156_1c27cfd2c2_t.jpg
    3) tire (presumably rotates) doesn't need lighting from 1 direction so there is no sense of top or bottom, so a single wedge of texture works perfect
    4) I clearly estimated it would save ~100 (maybe more like 60 but there is no back wire shot to know for sure) polys by eliminating the needs for bumper/light polys to clarify Mr_Drayton's suggestion, to think i just pulled that out of my ass without thinking "oh but i have to add those 12 in the tires"

a bit insulting polycount, like seriously guys...
    180px-Seriously.PNG
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was surprised people were confused. I agree entirely, it's a good way to save uv-space, and that might give him enough space to straighten some things out without losing texel resolution.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i guess thats
    i think this will save ~100 poly

what was confusing, as it read as if you are saying your version is saving polygons - which i now see is pointed at the front stuff not the wheels and the texturespace was what you meant by the wheel op - which is totally fine
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    IMHO... Theres no bigger eyesore on a wheel or something that rotates (even more so when its on a car wheel) than a cilinder that doesn't have equal sides... it just rotates sooooo poorly...
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid, no need to feel insulted, I don't think they meant any harm, and just misread your image because the wheel-edit stands out much more than the light/grill-edit.

Odium, funny that you should say that. I believe I read somewhere that some uneven numbers actually work better, because they break the horizontal/vertical symmetry. But whatever you do, it's important to have the sides divisible by a fairly small number for the tiling-tire-trick to work:
    8 -> 2 sides per tile
    9 -> 3 sides per tile
    10-> 2 sides per tile
    12-> 3 sides per tile
    15-> 3 or 5 sides per tile
    7, 11, 13 and 14 sides are not nice shapes.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    I believe I read somewhere that some uneven numbers actually work better,

i don't understand, interference patterns based on FPS, RPM and #Sides makes this hard to evaluate.

here check this video i screened out (made with JING) i think it needs flash though
    http://www.screencast.com/users/torbsnotch/folders/Jing/media/6f967e5d-fce4-4723-bf88-9ff4387a76ec

i understand primes wont work due to a remainder 7,11,13 but 14 at least is two 1/2's of 7
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm I hadn't actually thought about those patterns, I was thinking more about the shape itself. I'm not sure it actually matters though, because you get the effect with every spinning thing, regardless of amount of sides. The only thing that changed is at what speed. But speeds and sizes vary per car/game, so you can't really do anything with the information.

And yeah 14 is divisible by 7, but it doesn't save as much texture space as 12 or 15.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    But speeds and sizes vary per car/game, so you can't really do anything with the information.
    which is why i am missing something? i can't understand how either odd/even #'s rotate poorly, seems all the same to me.
    And yeah 14 is divisible by 7, but it doesn't save as much texture space as 12 or 15.
    well it can, i mean, this depends on the # of repeats you want say 7 spokes or 14 spokes.
    4995366720_3af4098bf3.jpg
    14 polys can't do 1/3,1/4 or 1/5...i mean, you get the idea.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love these modeling theory debates. It really helps in terms of different solutions to a single problem, which I'm sure everyone knows is a great thing. :)
  • blekdar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got craking and built the bridge piece. Got it all textured now just have to light it. Tips/critiques all welcome.

Things still to do:
    Light the scene
    Make 2 more sprites (1 character and 1 enemy)
    Make the interface
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid:
    What I meant was, without motion. As in, a still 15 sided cylinder with 3 spokes should look nicer than a 16 sided cylinder with 4 spokes. Where I read it (can't for the life of me recall where) motion, especially fast motion, wasn't involved. It purely looked at the shape of an object.

The gist of the story was something like, because you can't XandY mirror a 3-pointed object (only XorY) it should look a lot more natural.

DOG-GY
    Yeah. Aside from just learning other tricks, or sometimes learning that you're blatantly wrong, it does a lot more. It tells you to consider other approachers, that different≠wrong and that there's more to learn. I love learning.

Blekdar:
    Is that a placeholder sprite, or will the final game use sprites? Because I think currently it looks a bit weird with both feet on the same visual plane. Maybe if you pull up his left foot a few pixels, it will trick the mind into seeing depth.

This might give some weird effects if the camera angle changes a lot, but from what I recall your last mockup had the same angle so I assume it'll be fixed? Also, see the image below.

2-5D_edit.PNG
    -changed feet
    -changed walltile to get rid of long line
    -added water
    -swapped around 2 floor stones to not to have clean row, broken row, clean row, broken etc.

You wanna put a bit more water behind the grating, slowly fading out. You might also want to vary your tiles a bit, because it's currently really repetitive. I'd suggest using 1 clean square and then a couple broken variations. If that's not a feasible solution due to constraints, at least modify the current tile from it's current state to a checkerboard thing.
  • diamond3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diamond3 polycounter lvl 7

Red vertex can be removed because it belongs to a straight edge.
    I don't think that purple vertex gives much detail, it can be removed too.
    Think about collapsing come nearby vertices (green ones).
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    dungeon.jpg

WIP low poly dungeon, still got quite a few place holder texs here and there.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flames, ring of fire/pentagram, pile of guts and the red blood(cloth?) could use some more love. You should use something with alpha textures for the torches, possibly animated even? On the other side, the skulls could be optimized more, saving lots of polies because there are like 10 onscreen. You could also save a bunch by using alpha planes for the gold coins

The glowing ring is the brightest, biggest, most contrasting element in the scene, and it sticks out because it's too polygonal. You can smooth out the intersection with the floor 2x, as in you can fake it having double as much polies as it does now without any extra cost.
    -grab the bottom vertices
    -pull them down, rotate them half a side (360degrees/13sides/2= about 14 degrees)
    -scale them in to realign with that glowing circle texture.
    -adjust the UV map to put some random rows of pixels on the hidden/underground part of the mesh
    -enjoy.

It should look somewhat like this(the semitransparent plane intersecting the inset):
    compassideas.png

The pentagram can be easily and fairly cheaply optimized with a texture that looks sorta like this:
    &/\ %                 |\  $ 
    /__\ or, better yet:  |__\%
    € $ £                 € $ £ 

Just put a glowing border texture on 5 triangles and arrange them in a pentagram, and then use 5 triangles as sprites for the symbols. Should give you about 3 times the texel density and you can align the triangles sides so you don't have any stairstepping.

Also, about texel density. You have some inconsistencies, for instance, try comparing the wall-brick with the floortiles, or the pentagram with the skulls.

I do think it's nicely moody though, and you've got some nice lighting going on. Maybe push the light coming through the door a bit further? Via a ray of light or some flying particles or by increasing the brightness on the floor, perhaps?
  • 3dmaxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thank you for the replies. I optimize the model and the texture layout, I make the side texture straight, for the wheels I UV it half side. For the empty space on the texture, I plan to fill it with some exhaust pipe line for the bottom of the car. I'm sorry for my English, what do you call "the bottom of the car"?
    jazz_l11.jpg
    jazz_r10.jpgjazzan10.gif
    I think I will optimize the stairstepping and try to clean any artifacts and make new texture for the wheel. The shading, it just doesn't feels right when it rotates. I want to keep the headlights mesh just the way it is, because it feel more detailed when the car is rotated. I will try all the optimizing technique that you guys mentioned. Thank you very much guys,
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    3dmaxter wrote: »
    "the bottom of the car"?
    great job so far.

i guess you'd just say chassis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chassis
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Chassis isn't really the bottom of the car... It is the "frame", or in current cars (because they are unibody and don't actually have frames) the "platform" or even the body itself.

Bottom of the car is often called the Undercarriage.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Based on [url="http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/PontiacGTO/Images/
    Undercarriage.jpg"]this picture[/url] of an pontiac GTO 2004 apparently, I made an edit:
    undercarriageedit.PNG
    use the yellow line.

alternatively, you could use the pink line, but that'll look very symmetrical and less nice.

Right now you'd have to cram the entire part in one piece on the texture, which would become stretchy.

I also still think you should make the front window straighter. Not the bottom and top lines, but the sides.

Lastly, you could save a few tris by getting rid of the polies on the rear bumper, which hardly do anything. Oh, I just noticed: you can save an extra 32 triangles when you make the inside polygon of the wheelcasings (correct word?) 4 sided instead of 7 sided. And since the inside is a flat grey, it won't affect the visuals at all.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Been kinda bored tonight

Capturecopy-3.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe a little saturated for a background prop
  • King Nope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that really depends on the overall style of the project. But the books do pop out quite a bit.
  • JosiahMunsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JosiahMunsey polycounter lvl 12
    Day-5-iPhone-game-cliffmonkey.jpg

Meet Klif. He is a 400 tri monkey that likes to eat anything and everything.

http://www.26pm.com/
  • yoyomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yoyomon polycounter lvl 11
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
  • blekdar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last update before lighting :P Fixed the floor tiles, added a lamp back in and another pillar. I wonder though, does it make it look too crowded?
    On that note for snader: The sprite is what I'm gonna use as the character. Thanks for the tips on him, but I havn't gotten to fixing him yet. Also, you said you fixed a line in the wall tiles...I can't see this line you were speaking of.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    You either need to make the bricks MORE random, or make them more linear, with some overlays perhaps to break up tiling - at the moment, what you have shows obvious tiling precisely because you've got randomish bricks that makes repetition stand out.

Have you made any progress on baking vertex AO/lighting? That'd do a lot to make things pop more, the bright blue of the brick washes out a lot of the perceived depth.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they see me trollin, they hatin.... tryin'ta catch me typin qwerty.

6ox2a.png
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Day-5-iPhone-game-cliffmonkey.jpg

Meet Klif. He is a 400 tri monkey that likes to eat anything and everything.

http://www.26pm.com/

Fockin' ace, mate! Looks absolutely brilliant :D It's just sucks that I'd been working on a character a bit similar to yours, so now I have to re-think my designs :F
  • JosiahMunsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @9skulls, naw Dude! I am sure your creature will end up being different, I say move ahead with your design. Maybe your character and mine are brothers? Awesome website "under construction" animation BTW! (see here http://www.white-isle.net/)
  • kinyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinyz polycounter lvl 14
    some knight dude
    knight_by_kinyz-d2z577c.jpg
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, some fantastic work here guys.
  • JosiahMunsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kinyz Nice CLEAN looking model. It looks like it would be fun to animate!
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That guy is tits. Though maybe a bit more shading on the pants and chainmail?
  • kinyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinyz polycounter lvl 14
    JosiahMunsey
    thanks) i'm too lazy to rig it)

Snader
    i don't want to touch his texture anymore, next time i'll try to make it better)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice work kinyz !
  • wonderboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kinyz
    Would you mind posting the texture?
  • visionaryunlimited
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    need to redo the box at a bit higher resolution to match the crystal.

Capture-65.png
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    That Knight is awesome as is the monkey!

Thanks for the feedback on my last post much appreciated Snader!

Small update

new.jpg

old version

http://www.bigredmonsta.co.uk/old.jpg

Gotta do a few more texs still and tweak some geometry.