Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    LowPoly.fr wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    Just a post to tell u about my website which allows you to upload your .dae creations into a 3d realtime gallery.
    Hope you'll try and enjoy it.

http://www.lowpoly.fr

french language needed... (sorry)

So it's no use to us.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    Ha, we think alike ravenslayer :p

walleFinal1.jpg?t=1287191132
    Wall-e_Final_Animated.gif?t=1287192540
    diffuse_WALLE.jpg?t=1287191393

260 polys
    128² texture
    wire: http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/LakierosJordy/Wire.jpg?t=1287192540

Crits are very welcome, this is my first real super-lowpoly model ever.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    HUGE texel disparity going on there Highelf...always try and unwrap the shells to be the same size relative to one another. Its especially noticeable around the eyes. Nice asset though.
  • Highelf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    I did the eyes larger on purpose because they're so so important (major focal point) and also they had to be nice and round.. I figured I'd rather have a bit of off pixel distribution than have squareish eyes, I think it makes the entire thing look more detailed than it really is. Wrong decision?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Generally it's probably not the way to go but I think in this case it's a good choice.

In game when he's not as up close and personal I don't think the difference would be as noticeable, but it would keep the eyes looking good.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    I forgot I had this little lady so I decided to work on her again
    Just trying to find out where to paint the self shadows, how deep to make them (...) The textures in this thread are a huge inspiration to me.
    froslassoct.png
    The idea with the eyes is some sort of animate-able thing by switching out eyelid texture and moving the eye'ball' UV or something, I don't know how it works but it's what the Nintendo rips I have look to be doing :poly124:
    still 700 tris, I can already see a few that will go away when I merge the mid seam, maybe I can spend those on a mouth able to open a bit.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf wrote: »
    I think it makes the entire thing look more detailed than it really is.

Definitely does.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't done much low poly for awhile but I always watch this thread and always get inspired, start working on something, get distracted...

And I almost never work from concept art. Much less doing a existing game model.

So I figured it would be fun to try to do the infected cast from L4D2.

Starting with the tank, I do alot of low poly stuff but not stuff where I go as low as possible, so that's what this is. About 3 hrs so far and I figure the tex will take at least 2 more (and I need the practice).

Would love to hear if I can do any better on the mesh, anything weird? I'm working from a 3/4 view concept...

Couldn't really fill that space very well, so I'll probably make small props to include in the meshes whereever I have room.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Nice meshwork baddcog but the texture needs work. It's pretty blurry and hard to seethe details
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Baddcog: he looks flat enough on his chest and belly, maybe you can reduce the poly count by removing the middle seam in places. There's still some tricks that will allow you to mirror the UVs after all. To me it looks good though, I only think you should make the texture crisper (and turn off filtering if you haven't). Maybe it would be easier to make a face that doesn't have such a sharp angle in the middle, but is more based on facial planes (so there is a bit of a flat face down the middle).
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks.
    thanks.
    i worked at 512, then shrank, probably bad idea.

I did asdd 2 verts on face near the end, but yeah, I should probably drop a few more polys there.

I still haven't tried the mirror uvs at the tex edge yet, gotta learn that.
  • Violet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Violet polycounter lvl 9
    That WallE is excellent!

I did a li'l Autozam. I love doing this tiny little 3D models!

TLC-mazda.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little more work. added tris to face so now he's at 332 polys.
    This is an 8 bit 128 tex, obviously still needs alot of details... but I'm done for today.

Might have to use up some pixels by stretching the torso a bit under the chest. Also

I think I'm going to throw some fire in the extra space, then wrap a few polys
    around him for fire particles.
    I guess all the infected will need some particles anyway.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHARK BARREL
    shark_barrel_by_jake_harris-d30smji.jpg

Epic barrel jake, love the shark. It's like it's really jumping out!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Violet - cute car, only thing you might want to do is render it fullbright/100% self illuminated. The shading seams make it look less nice ATM.

Baddcog - deffo need to add some more contrast and definition in there. Quick paint:
    L4DtankPO.JPG

Highelf - good call on the focal point IMO.

Ravenslayer - nice, the kid from UP right?

Hawken & Fearian - I think the sharpness kinda works, but the brick could use a wee more noise. I think that unsharpening would make the brick look too smooth.

Achillesian - why are you uniquely mapping these things? Wouldn't tileable textures be much more efficient?
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robot_fail-1.png

bah i still cant seem to make anything intresting with this D:

anyone have any ideas where i could go with it?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I've been working on a low poly environment for my 'handheld games design' module at uni. It's based around the boardgame 'Zombies!!!', but with less realism. I'm trying to make everything extremely modular and cramming as much as I can into one 128x128 texture.

This is my first real low poly work, lemme know if you can see anything I can change/improve! The building isn't complete yet, still needs to look more like a hospital!

hospital4.jpg

hospitalwireframe.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sender. Definately. Unfortunately for some reason I just started painting him in, instead of overlaying on greyscale, and character textures being my weakness - it was a mistake.
    I added a few verts (in the shoulders so they stick up instead of rounding off), turned a few edges and adjusted his physique some since that pic. So his shape is less boxy and looks better.
    I've also started really trying to define the muscles better with some stronger outlines. But still I think I'm going to go greyscale and get the tones flushed out first, then go back to a color layer like I should've done.

@violet, nice car, the tex is real clean.

@Pogo. lots of stuff in such a small space. deffinately need a front door/awning.
    not sure about the H though. cool to see how you split it up, maybe would be better, red H, whit circle, red outline??? i think the red/white outlines tend to show the pixels too much, but if it was solid color circle and only one outline might look better>
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    @Cactus the reason it looks so weird is because now the style isn't consistent. You've got a big bulky frame with a puny robot on top of it. The head especially changes styles drastically from the rest of the piece. Here's something I put together in my time off at school. Maybe you'll like it.
    robotupload.png
    I tried to keep a consistent "badass" style to it. It's also not symmetrical with the hands so it adds a bit of interest as well as making it look more like an enemy. The head is really pointy which is also making it look threatening. It's not perfect by any means but I hope it's something that'll help. Plus it was fun as hell to make.

Cheers!
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    PogoP, that's looking pretty nice. Even if you are only using 1x128 you still have a lot of space available. As Baddcog says, the main thing that jumps out is the pixellation on the landing pad decal.

If you know what the colour the decal is going to be used against, you can still include aliased edges with your decal, just have the alpha encompass the fringe. You can make a soft alpha and then alter the levels to make it hard-edged.
    If the centre of the circle is going to be colour, you can soften the inner edge as well.

With the available texture space, you could:

- Like Baddcog said, include an actual entrance.

- Expand it a bit to show the parking/loading area at the front with appropriate road paint strips and a simple pavement

- Couple of simple bushes in a planter outside maybe. One either side of the doorway?

- Aircon type units on the roof or a series of ducts (simple modular stuff with sqaureish metallic sections)

- skylights, satellite dishes/antenna array

Look into vertex colouring to get more variation out of your stuff. Keep going
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks a lot guys! Some great ideas for expanding it further. I was definitely going to include some of the stuff you mentioned but now I can't wait to get stuff added.

Your helipad example is awesome, I originally had it like that but thought it'd be easier to make transparent if it used hard edges, but it does look a bit pixellated. I'll get it fixed tonight.

How would vertex colouring be useful here? That's a genuine question, not sarcasm; I haven't really explored vertex colouring yet.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having to log in every (seemingly) 3 minutes... Anyone know why?

anyway

@Pogo.

maybe a water tank on the small roofs, seems odd there's a door and nothing there.
    deffinately some big ventilation devices too.

Pixel shading could help in some area. Nice thing is just a little can make the texture tiling go away. Maybe in corners just add a tad bit of dark grey/black. It's easy enough to do.

The thing is though with so few verts it might be ugly. If you add a little shading to the bottom of the pillars it will go halfway up them (and also follow the lines of the tris). So some more polys in shaded areas would help confine it.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    I showed a vertex colour example earlier in the thread at:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1204294#post1204294

you can use the verts to add colour and shadows to your geometry to make your textures go further, rather than painting the shading in. With small textures like you're using, shading can become pixellated and a bit noisy but vertex colour is usually pretty smooth.
    Painting stuff in can be useful as well - its just down to the specific thing you're after. Even if you aren't using strong lighting/shadow, you can use vert colour to get some ambient occlusion-like effects in there and make the model pop nicely.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Nice!

Edit - Figured out vertex painting. Thanks for all the help guys! Let me know what you think.

hospital5.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    more god damn planes
    ~580 tris, 256x256
    WIP as it should be easy to see
    9403cd164c2f750461ee0e4baea1ff83.png
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    PogoP wrote: »
    Nice!

Edit - Figured out vertex painting. Thanks for all the help guys! Let me know what you think.

hospital5.jpg

Yay! I love Zombies!!! Looking forward to the other buildings!
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    PogoP, do you mind showing a picture of 1 modular chunk? I am doing some low poly level editing, and one of my next ones may have to be modular and I am not 100% sure how to go about it for a really low poly level.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Sure! I mean it can be as modular as you like, I made the texture first and then fit the model planes around it. I set up Photoshop to use a 3ds max grid so I could make my textures fit on the grid (for example, those windows are 1 unit high, 4 units long).

I would suggest this way because as long as you have a decent few texture pieces to work from, you can build up an entire building instantly. Just have a couple of trim textures to break up the windows.

Here's all the textures on planes, as I'm currently using them. I think it's actually 52 tris though, oops!

modularity.jpg
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome thank you, really helps to see things broken down like that :)
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Some of the textures are a bit messed up in that, didn't notice! But hopefully you get the general idea.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hospital is looking pretty good.

like that plane too Harry.

more work on the tank. it's comin along but taking longer than I thought. tweaked the mesh quite a bit for shape. added a few polys, adjust uv's a bit, more tex work.

340 polys, 256 8 bit tex. 680 tris when biled.

tank_04.jpg
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help DOG-GY but I should have said I'm trying to make a sad robot so I want to be as far away from threatning as possible.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Well damn. I'd say make it look all droopy and lanky. Slouching and such.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus, put the top part a little crooked on swivel, maybe head to. Beat him up all over. Maybe make his angles just all assym so he looks beat down and cartoony.

Maybe he neds skinny tracks, he's kindof wimpy lookin.

Tank needs backup.
    450 tris and 128 tex for jock.
    jockey_01.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Highelf wrote: »
    I did the eyes larger on purpose because they're so so important (major focal point) and also they had to be nice and round.. I figured I'd rather have a bit of off pixel distribution than have squareish eyes, I think it makes the entire thing look more detailed than it really is. Wrong decision?

No, 100% correct decision. Spend our UV space where the eye is going to go the most while not having vastly different resolutions. Wall-E looks great here. Fantastic execution.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Well i wasn't actually going to do this it was just going to be a time killer, witch is why i didn't UV the rest before but now i think i am going to finish this off.

Capture-72.png

Based on this.

concept.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    yeah you definitely need to do the front!:P
  • bASEL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @willy-wilson Really like your lowpoly truck! How many tris is it? 16?
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah ill deffinatly make it all more lankey to remove the variations in style.

also nice truck :P
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, im done with this. Yes it's 16 tris.

Capturecopy-4.png
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    omg that truck is so cool.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Hey willy. The truck turned out awesome, like a great little micro machine. Where'd you get that concept art from?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Love the truck :)
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey willy. The truck turned out awesome, like a great little micro machine. Where'd you get that concept art from?

i found it at random while on Deviantart but apparently its for this HL2 modd.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/athena
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet truck! Would love to see more vehicles in that style! ;)
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    willy looking awesome dude
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, im done with this. Yes it's 16 tris.

Capturecopy-4.png

I like it! but,
    I think you should give more love to the mechanism on the side. heres a quick paint over :)

capturecopy41.png
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here ya go, added a alpha too even though im sure for something like this its not really needed. and on the ds (old version) anyone have any ideas on what to do next. i want something in the same style with low counts again i was thinking maybe a train or something.

Capture-73.png

IMAG0006.jpg