Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Did this a while ago, but never really pimped it anywhere:

Buzz Lightyear for a PSP thing that never panned out:

Buzz_Post.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome.
    Can we get some wires? :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah guys the 'boobs' on the princess got fixed at some point, this is the only screengrab I had of her, since my old laptop died.
    she had 'witch tits' syndrome:)
  • yoyomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yoyomon polycounter lvl 11
    That looks great Jacquechoi.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what effect these suggestions would take, but these are the areas I would consider for reduction. Depends how hard you want your texture to work.

illadam_motorcycle.jpg

- Tiny edges. If they aren't very big they can probably go. ex: the engine chamfers, the loop on the wheel pole things, tailpipes. Also that connecting piece from the engine to those two cylinder things: if they aren't already a single plane (looks like a box from here), change it.

- Hidden triangles. Not just the obvious ones, but things like on the gas tank. You could probably chop that polygon at the front in half and delete the triangle that isn't showing. Same with the the back wheel cover. (if none of this is already done).

- Superfluous edges. Edges that aren't adding much. They might be giving some form I can't tell without rotating the model around so, again, it's something to consider. ex: ends of the wheel covers (edges could probably be collapsed), the seat.

I wouldn't suggest 3-sided tubes, at least not at this triangle count. Or only do it to those two smaller rods running from the gagues down to the engine.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you're not really gaining anything from the pipes that connect to the engine. As Spacey points out.

nice bike though.
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work chan, what platform is it for?
    It's for PC atm. I was talking with the programmer who's helping me out and we will probably be using the Ogre engine to begin with. Later on, if the game turns out ok, we might (I wish) make it avaliable for psp or online browser play, or something like that.:poly142:

what do you think would be suitable?
  • Freidenker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chanfan wrote: »
    Here's a watermill that I'm working on for my project.
    It's 951 tris atm but I will add some more for the watersplashfx for the waterfalls.
    You can also see some of the surrounding environment, but it's all WIP.
    watermillwip7.jpg

watermillwip8.jpg

Nice mill and style. Though i do have a little problem with the stonewall of it.
    These stones look flat somehow. I think that`s so because they seem to overlap the wooden planks. I´d suggest to add a obvoius ending to those Planks, where they "hit" the stonewall - so that there will occure a small dark gap between stone and wooden wall, wich imo will support the illusion that there is built a wooden wall on top of a stonewall.
    (I hope you understood, what I mean)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Freidenker is right about the stone blending into the wood. I don't think you should make the planks teminate though, what you need is some mortar or mud between the wood and the stone (like its done in the real world). That would both explain the blending and give the stone some depth.
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xaltar & Freidenker Thanks for the tip guys! I knew I felt like something was off, and now it's located! :D I'll get on it asap!
  • Gux
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gux, That roman chicken is totally awesome! I love how you made the yellow in the chickens face reflect off the helmet.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ruz wrote: »
    did this a while back. it was supposed to represent what vid games characters are supposed to look like, though wasn't actually for a game.
    princess_pic2.jpg

Beautiful work Ruz, what is the texture size if you don't mind me asking?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Gux. Totally awesome :D
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Here's a watermill that I'm working on for my project.
    It's 951 tris atm but I will add some more for the watersplashfx for the waterfalls.
    You can also see some of the surrounding environment, but it's all WIP.
    watermillwip7.jpg

watermillwip8.jpg
    LoTekK wrote: »
    chanfan, that's lovely. Foliage seems a bit noisy, though.

slaught: Nice ass! :D

agreed.

I guess it is because of green and purple color use in tree branch texture. That purple doesnt fit there in my oppinion.
    Other than that it is a great enviro ;)
  • Gux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gux polycounter lvl 9
    @Gux, That roman chicken is totally awesome! I love how you made the yellow in the chickens face reflect off the helmet.
    Thanks, cool that you noticed that, I tried to get a nice shiny metal going.
    ivars wrote:
    Hey Gux. Totally awesome
    Hey Ivar, loved your stripper :D
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    Mr_Drayton - Thanks! I removed the edge loop from the seat and some underneath. I was able to get the bike under 1k tris so I'ma keep the tubes 4 sided if I was to reduce it anymore I'd consider going that route.

JacqueChoi - Buzz Lightyear is Gnarly!

Spacey - Thank you for the paintover and the tips! I went through your suggestions and tried to hit them all. I was able to chop it down to under a 1k tris so somethings I did end up keeping like the edge loops on the tail pipe that gives it some shape.

hawken - Thanks! Are you talking about the edge loop right before the pipes connect to the engine? If so I did remove that one.
    Gux - That chicken is rad.

Here is where I'm at now after the optimizations. I'm eager to start texturing it and I'm happy with where it is at right now.

wire_02.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    oiyoh!

Thx guys! here's the flat and wires:

Buzz_Construction.jpg

I hate T pose.

Stupid pre-made rigs

>_<
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work Jacque :) Great texture too.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Behold the onion! (and a pumpkin)

onion_render.png
    pumpkin_paint.png
    80 tris for the onion and 138 for the pumpkin.
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I guess I will be looking more on those trees later on.
    Here's the fixed water mill and also, my new building, the blacksmith!

The blacksmith is 985 tris and the water mill is 995 tris.
    watermillwip12.jpg
    watermillwip11.jpg
    blacksmithwip5.jpg
    blacksmithwip6.jpg
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi, That Buzz Lightyear is totally awesome! I love it! :)
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks much better now, with a ridge between the wood and stone.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    chanfan, that looks alot better,
    only thing that bothers me is the major amount of specular highlights on the characters and the lack of anything shiny in the environment, it makes the characters look out of place to me.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looked through 159 pages of awesomeness. Filled a nice folder of lots of low-poly artistic endeveours. And now time to show my own! I'll start simple, a render of my NES console! For all those old-school gamers.

NES_lowpoly.jpg

Now a few questions!

1 - Is there any way to get a good render that will look as crisp as a screenshot from directly within Maya would? Cause I did exactly that and the screenshot maintains the crispness of the look while the render seems to make the look fuzzy and soft. I have Texture filter set to Unfiltered, shading set to Flat Shade all and the edge anti-aliasing is set to low.

2 - Do you all render out your low-polys or screenshot them? The stuff I have seen here looks very good and not soft or fuzzy like mine.

3 - When should I use a 128x128 map over a 256x256 map? I didn't give it much thought for the NES console, but figured I should ask cause Im not sure if its best to use a lower or higher one.

Well, more low-polys on the way!
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @exevalon

1- You have did that in the viewport or in the Material options? Try both.

2- I use maya and there is no option to make the render look like in the viewport (pixelated) so I take screenshots from the viewport, erase the background and compose it in Photoshop.

3- You can try a 128xtexture to make the model more pixelated as it would appear in a low poly game. Even you can try at 64px and make "pixel art shadows". It's just and opinion.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    There is a way. Under file attributes (i.e. the screen with the browse button to find the texture for the particular material) you see "filter type" and you can select "off"

Should work.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, it wasn't in the filter type list but under it; unchecking pre-filter did the trick. Render is nice and crisp. However, since I have texture blend set to Over instead of Multiply, the texture appears brighter in the viewport but not in the render window. Now I gotta take care of that.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Woops! posted in wrong thread
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    fucking SICK ONE gux
  • restorationomega
    Hello everyone! I wanted to do a cute, low poly mermaid for a social networking game. I just concepted her this week. Her parts are supposed to be able to be swapped in and out for mixing and matching your own characters. I just did one of her texture designs so far. I still have to add her other accessories along with her waist ruffles.

I do have a question regarding her textures. I have all her textures seperated into 128x128 with the exception of her fin which is 64x64. I heard that having too many textures for the characters can really bog down a system and that it's easier to make it into one texture if possible. Can anyone offer me advice on this if that's the case?

She's 482 tris right now.

Siren_Screen_Shot_01_by_restorationomega.jpg
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    restorationomega: Change image host. The current one is asking for username and password.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed with MachineMinded, same problem here! Just use Imageshack, the most common one, and you won't have problems.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is another render of the NES but alot more crispy looking. Compare with the above one.

NesPresentationShot.jpg

This next image is a low poly character I am working on. I hardly have had any chance to model characters in 3D. Have only done one in Maya, and a rather cool looking creature in Zbrush, but other than that, my experience is rather low. So I decided to give low poly creations a chance to better my skill. And at the same time, keep on learning UV unwrapping and texturing. And cause low poly just rocks. Its the pixel art of 3D. Critiques plz on how to better mesh flow, its looking rather blocky right now. I want to keep that aspect in some areas, but not in all. For example the lower legs. I kinda imagined some kinda big leg armor or boots. But the body entirely looks like the cube it was born from haha.
    Screenshot_WIP.jpg
  • restorationomega
    I fixed my earlier post so you can view her images now. I'm currently drawing and modeling her other friends and concepting their costumes out. I'll more than likely finish her design sometime this week or the next when I can find some time.
  • iZerox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OzMa wrote: »
    @exevalon

1- You have did that in the viewport or in the Material options? Try both.

2- I use maya and there is no option to make the render look like in the viewport (pixelated) so I take screenshots from the viewport, erase the background and compose it in Photoshop.

3- You can try a 128xtexture to make the model more pixelated as it would appear in a low poly game. Even you can try at 64px and make "pixel art shadows". It's just and opinion.

Wait wait wait pixelated is something thats desirable? I've always tried making my textures bigger to prevent just that.
  • ExevaloN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RestorationOmega: I think the face could use a few extra triangles to make it pop more and still keep it under 500tris. It seems too flat to me, though if you were going for that than cool.

Anyways, here is another low poly I finished a few hours ago. Decided to model a bubbling ooze from the sega genesis game, Shining Force 2.

BubblingOozePresentationShot.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could somebody point me in the direction of the specs for an iphone game, like the amount of tris acceptable on screen at one time w/o lag. Figured someone in this thread might have a good link for this information.

20g1v9l.jpg

too high? too low? Does the bad boolean geometry in some areas really matter?

also, quick question, is there a way to view normals in maya like they would be viewed in unity/other engines; one way. Not double sided.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    also, quick question, is there a way to view normals in maya like they would be viewed in unity/other engines; one way. Not double sided.

backfaceCulling.png
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shrew81, Yeah I think you are right, I should add more glossiness to the environment aswell! I tried adding some more shine to some of the parts on my blacksmith! Here's the "finished" version.
    blacksmithwip9.jpg
    blacksmithwip10.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    texturing fun from Slaught's Cybabe thread:

final01.jpg

final02h.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    could somebody point me in the direction of the specs for an iphone game, like the amount of tris acceptable on screen at one time w/o lag. Figured someone in this thread might have a good link for this information.

20g1v9l.jpg

too high? too low? Does the bad boolean geometry in some areas really matter?

I've heard the iPhone can display about 3000 tris at any given time before it starts to chug, but I can't say for sure.

As far as rendering polys in maya's viewport as they would be in-engine just select the objects you want single-sided and go to view>backface culling as mentioned above.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    @shrew81, Yeah I think you are right, I should add more glossiness to the environment aswell! I tried adding some more shine to some of the parts on my blacksmith! Here's the "finished" version.
    blacksmithwip9.jpg
    blacksmithwip10.jpg

Love it, Love it, Love it! Especially the rigid, tall feeling it gets from all those supports and 90* angles - Fantasy buildings all being saggy just for the sake of it is getting on my nerves!
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iZerox wrote: »
    Wait wait wait pixelated is something thats desirable? I've always tried making my textures bigger to prevent just that.

xD, if you want to give to your model a "low poly look" just like Nintendo DS or PSP the answer is yes ^^
  • Mulle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris wrote: »
    texturing fun from Slaught's Cybabe thread:

final01.jpg

final02h.jpg
    Wires please :D!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Mulle, its and SDK

Get the model in Slaught's thread.
    You can look at the wires real time and see how its done ;)
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    @chanfan Arvid you soo coool ;) keep it up homes
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    hello folks! i'm a great fan of the pixelated lowpoly stuff out here.
    im completely new into modeling and after doing 2 tutorials i started my first blender model.

276 tris per egg, 128x128 handpainted texture

lowpolyeggs.jpg

by the way: how can i get it "slimy" in blender.. use a spec-map? does it work also with shader off?
  • chanfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Karera, Haha thanks bro! :)

@Fearian, thanks! Yeah I know, the only places I added a bit of sagging is on the roof! The rest is straight and sturdy, the way it should be! :poly142:
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disclaimer - I made this model after learning modelling for 3 days.

It's a Katamari version of my friend Dan. 192 tris.

kb.jpg

kbwire.jpg

Here is the model in action in my 3D engine - http://rumblesushi.com/katamari_baldwin.html

Cheers,
    RumbleSushi