Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceriux polycounter lvl 10
    Hey can someone tell me why after i baked my AO this happened to my texture?

8dkw.png
  • jenast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jenast polycounter lvl 7
    Lowpoly assignment in school.

Assignment Restrictions: 1000 Tris + 256*256 color map

Ramone from Pixar's Cars.
    I know I have a lot to work on but here is what I submitted for deadline.

su0t.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Well it looks like I've decided to fall down this staircase again. Anyone have any tips on smooth loop flow or how to build a shoulder to save my life?

SebFqr8.jpg

GMPlXHa.jpg
  • Arkana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    I made a computer terminal for one of the parts of my final project in school. I'm not too happy with it, but I think it's fine.

7P1uVI2.png
    YNkswzB.png
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceriux wrote: »

8dkw.png
    You talking about that line down the middle? If so, it's a little bit of black near the seem, and when it reflects, it looks doubly dark. Just lighten up the part of the texture right next to the seem and you should be fine.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    or ^ show the uv's, i think your right at the island limit and the 1 px bleed over is not registering the colors your putting down.

Nice cars car jeni, you know already so gj otherwise.
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, the seams werent there till i baked the AO. so some editing is just needed. i was just going to move the uv's 1px over.
  • B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B
    I had an assignment at school to make a low poly thing, so well I did and even tried to paint my very first own texture with 256*256 res.

vz8r.jpg
  • Phrozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelioth wrote: »
    You talking about that line down the middle? If so, it's a little bit of black near the seem, and when it reflects, it looks doubly dark. Just lighten up the part of the texture right next to the seem and you should be fine.

Or, if you're using Maya, in your bake set, set Fill Texture Seams to something like 10.
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Just playing around with a displacement map. They actually require millions of polygons to work but I just a threw a low poly model (992 polygons) to see what it could look like. I see this technique coming in handy later.
    iGQ6J4F6xcNOO.png

You can see the advantage of the displacement map in this picture in which the shadows match the silhouette instead of being a perfect circle.
  • ufo.mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ufo.mesh polycounter lvl 13
    thanks, the seams werent there till i baked the AO. so some editing is just needed. i was just going to move the uv's 1px over.

You'd better make more than 1 pixel. If you zoom out your model much more you'll still can see these black lines. So it's recommended that texture is larger for about 3 or more pixels than UV layout to avoid these black lines on seams.
  • ufo.mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ufo.mesh polycounter lvl 13
    JordanN wrote: »
    Just playing around with a displacement map. They actually require millions of polygons to work but I just a threw a low poly model (992 polygons) to see what it could look like. I see this technique coming in handy later.
    iGQ6J4F6xcNOO.png

You can see the advantage of the displacement map in this picture in which the shadows match the silhouette instead of being a perfect circle.

There are several types of displacement. For example Vray disp doesn't need hipoly topology. You can use even a quad poly to get bricks.
    Even standart max disp that is placed in material options doesn't need high poly, afair, but the results with vray much better.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Delko, nostalgia is rising!!
  • Wackimation
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    Little low poly gold brick for a "point items" asset pack I am working on.

ikqMECk6IfI2e.gif

P.S. did I place this in the correct thread?
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12

8dkw.png

I've had those problem before, it's the from the AO bake.
    It's one of the unfortunate side effects of using a skylight in scanline to bake your AO. if you nudge the AO pixels over to the edges, it will fix it.
  • yougo96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yougo96 polycounter lvl 5
    @Delko Your work are so much cool.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Jeni Newbi wrote: »
    Lowpoly assignment in school.

Assignment Restrictions: 1000 Tris + 256*256 color map

Ramone from Pixar's Cars.
    I know I have a lot to work on but here is what I submitted for deadline.

su0t.jpg

Heh :D This reminds me of my school assignment only the restrictions there were 400 triangles and a 128*128 texture. It even had to have the same layout as you xD

If you're wondering what it was, it's the lowpixel chocobo I posted earlier in this thread. :)

What school do you go to?
  • Zh4ngZ13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW, all these amazing things!
  • jenast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jenast polycounter lvl 7
    Heh :D This reminds me of my school assignment only the restrictions there were 400 triangles and a 128*128 texture. It even had to have the same layout as you xD

If you're wondering what it was, it's the lowpixel chocobo I posted earlier in this thread. :)

What school do you go to?

Oh, that was really low! Fun challange.
    Your Chocobo came out really nice! Love your sketchbook :thumbup:

I'm studying at a school called Playgroundsquad in Sweden.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    yougo96 wrote: »
    @Delko Your work are so much cool.
    Thanks, heres a nuke
    zO25gUo.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Mimiws wrote: »
    Sweetangel0467: that chocobo is amazing!! :)

hi guys its me again. Ive tried to make a low poly sword for a practice of texturing. :P any good tips? tartaros_render.jpg

Your blade edge looks very soft to me. Need to make some nice sharp highlights on it.

You could collapse all those middle edges and save a ton of polys. They are wasted as they don't contribute to shape.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I use max 9

In that case, you should increase the padding in your render to texture settings, then rebake your AO. I like to use 8 pixels of padding in most cases. You could use 4 pixels if your texture is really small (256x256 or smaller).
  • Greythought
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greythought polycounter lvl 3
    JEp3bXY.png6NAdXEA.png

Asuka from Evangelion Reboot
    1k triangles, 512x texture.
  • Phrozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A walk cycle of my scarecrow.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    zfXtkYW.gif

Mech and pilot I'm working on.
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    E27qpRz.png
    Well.. Just a bit over the limit :P
    The concept isn't mine though, it's by this wonderful artist!

What do you guys think? This is the first model I've fully modelled and textured myself! : ) I'm also trying to go down a hand-painted path so any CnC would be appreciated.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Yelle wrote: »
    E27qpRz.png
    Well.. Just a bit over the limit :P
    The concept isn't mine though, it's by this wonderful artist!

What do you guys think? This is the first model I've fully modelled and textured myself! : ) I'm also trying to go down a hand-painted path so any CnC would be appreciated.

Looks cool ^^

I think it could've been slightly brighter if you compare the concept though..
    Not sure how thick the fins are but if it were just planes with an alpha you could've also saved some polygons as well ^^

SharkWeek_1.jpg
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    Looks cool ^^

I think it could've been slightly brighter if you compare the concept though..
    Not sure how thick the fins are but if it were just planes with an alpha you could've also saved some polygons as well ^^

Haha, thanks. It means a lot that you think it's cool!
    Yeah, I actually made the texture from sampling colors from the concept, but after the lighting and stuff in maya touched it the color darkened by quite a bit. I was thinking of going with single planes and alphas for all the shark's fins but I decided against it as its silhouette would be a little bit weird :poly142: :)
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle wrote: »
    I actually made the texture from sampling colors from the concept, but after the lighting and stuff in maya touched it the color darkened by quite a bit.
    Tried a surface shader? Usually gives better results for hand painting, as Maya light tends to do exactly what it did to you here.
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    Xelioth wrote: »
    Tried a surface shader? Usually gives better results for hand painting, as Maya light tends to do exactly what it did to you here.

No,not yet. I'll go read up on it, thanks! : )
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    whoops, totally posted to the wrong thread and not sure how to delete! please ignore
  • _exocet_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _exocet_ polycounter lvl 6
    A low poly cartoon Lada 2101 I've just finished, also my first complete work in Blender.

lada-low-poly.jpg

lada_2101_low_poly_3d_blender.gif

[SKETCHFAB]43ff5854155d445ebde93ad0d6eda55f[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Very clean and cute, _exocet_! Are you going to be making a game with cars like that? :)
  • Calv!n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calv!n polycounter lvl 13
    Tons of amazing lowpoly stuff in here! Just started getting into lowpoly myself. Hoping to sharpen my skills.

First model...
    zj9xuvb.jpg

Welcoming any tips and pointers on texture painting and how I can optimize my maps. Also wondering why my AO render created such a dark shade at sides of the create. The geometry is smooth and flush there so I'm not sure what's causing that.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    a little dude I did as a training instead of sleeping, the texture needs more detail tho, but i'm satisfied considering my low skills in 3D

1cAbsfa
  • Phrozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calv!n wrote: »
    Tons of amazing lowpoly stuff in here! Just started getting into lowpoly myself. Hoping to sharpen my skills.

First model...
    zj9xuvb.jpg

Welcoming any tips and pointers on texture painting and how I can optimize my maps. Also wondering why my AO render created such a dark shade at sides of the create. The geometry is smooth and flush there so I'm not sure what's causing that.

Baked AO is based on angle, so you might have to do another one just for that section or just edit it.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Not really lowpoly.. but I guess this fits here. Finished a while ago, but revisited a bit, screens taking in Unity3D :)

1_2.png

2_2.png

4_2.png
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    great work on the hakosuka and the roku! :)
  • badmouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    Free_Fall, that is a amazing job. very well done. IMO the only thing is that the light should be more bright. But is a really great model. I love it.
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished 174 tri's =)
    vz7a.png
  • _exocet_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _exocet_ polycounter lvl 6
    Very clean and cute, _exocet_! Are you going to be making a game with cars like that? :)

Thanks! I was originally planning to make a few cars in this style, but I've realized the texturing part is quite time-consuming and I'd prefer to start something different instead :) But yeah, I think a game in this style could be really fun!
  • Mimiws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know why you used so many poly's on the form inside the blade.. if it really has a very prominent silhouette from the side it might be good to show that in your preview too ^^

Sweetangel10467: Yeah actually it has a bevel in the inside, that grey lines suppose to be but i guess it didn't work out. I might redo this. :) Thanks again!
    Sordid23 wrote: »
    Mimiws: I just made a quick paint over of your sword. First of all I love the design! But it has some weaker points... well mainly one weak point... THE POINT! I think it might be the result of the render, but it would be worth your time to see if you can do something with it. The texture changes are mainly sharper highlights (since it is metal) and a big gradient from top to bottom. Hope it helps!

PS: It's a bit more red... :p

Sordid23: first off all thanks for critique and the wonderful paint over i really like it! Actually im trying to do that red gradient but i just can't do it. hahaha im really noob at hand painting, trying to do those WOW weapons stuff :P well thanks again. :)
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Your blade edge looks very soft to me. Need to make some nice sharp highlights on it.

You could collapse all those middle edges and save a ton of polys. They are wasted as they don't contribute to shape.

Baddcog: im trying to put depth in the middle but i think it doesnt work out. Need to redo it and thanks for pointing that out!

btw Thanks for the CnC guys! have a good day. :)
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    Not really lowpoly.. but I guess this fits here.

This is awesome, as someone who's modeled a garage before, you've diffidently done it justice.

Some Sky Rogue stuff

tumblr_n2fyykxAHO1spoqhxo1_1280.png
    tumblr_n2fyykxAHO1spoqhxo2_1280.png

Redesigned the Falke to look a big cooler/sleeker, also the Air Carrier i never posted.
  • vvheris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vvheris polycounter lvl 6
    delko, will we ever see turbo run?
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptInfinity polycounter lvl 4
    c0771d81c98de6d0fc41ada0e85ca13b.jpg

Something to help me relax...

503 tris
    128x Texture
    Concept sketch on the left (obviously)
  • CaptInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptInfinity polycounter lvl 4
    I think your right about the hood. And then there are some other changes from the initial sketch, like the jagged cape, and elbow length gloves. Not sure which I like better. Not totally happy with how the face came out. Kind of rushed as I was off to work. I might rework some of that, might not. Thanks for the comment though :)
  • Wackimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So as an exercise, I tried some box modelling without a concept. This is a WIP model of a strong guy I wanted to do. The model clocks in at 600 tris even so far. Any crits are welcome. :)
    1003581_620081428065916_700279768_n.jpg