Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Timon11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timon11 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,
    I made a set of medieval/fantasy weapons, they all share a single 1024x1024 texture.
    Crits and tips are welcome.

dnFXdtD.png?1
    These are the weapons, a quick render from blender

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960x540.TYjzEyh.png?1
    And here are the wireframes with Triangle coun
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ preatus - They almost never use normal maps on their characters, but they do on occasion use it. I wish I knew exactly which ones, but I know I have heard Josh Singh talk about. I know their process I have watched Josh Singh stuff. They use the sculpt for masks and AO, but the rest is hand painted. I was arguing that having a sculpt and normals don't necessarily make you high spec. It can fit with in low spec if used properly.
  • jordanpascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work everyone!

Heres a speed model I just did of a Pokemon 'Kyogre'
    Time: 45 mins
    846 Tri's 512 x 512 diffuse map

forumBCrORhZ.jpgforumBCrORhZ.jpgBCrORhZ.jpg
    BCrORhZ
  • Analdin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Analdin polycounter lvl 6
    A little something I'm working on. So far about 7 hours of work went into it.

W6Y7WJE.png
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Been working on Bloom with Sweetangel0467 and some other folks on here. Just finished up this wind-powered moving platform:

Fl5COAZ.jpg

644 tris. The kitten picture is just a placeholder - the designers are going to put billboard images in there.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    klamp wrote: »
    Been working on Bloom with Sweetangel0467 and some other folks on here. Just finished up this wind-powered moving platform:

644 tris. The kitten picture is just a placeholder - the designers are going to put billboard images in there.

Kittens are ALWAYS the best way to advertise xD

Here's a little something from me: 1800058_10152102835047946_919732159_o.jpg
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Kittens are ALWAYS the best way to advertise xD

Agreed!

And your raccoon unlockables turned out great! :D
  • zhixson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zhixson polycounter lvl 8
    My first attempt at deliberate super low poly modeling and it barely squeaked in under the limit. I'm sure there are many places where it could easily go lower, but my noob eye couldn't find anything to sacrifice and still manage to preserve the silhouette.
    vsfvuRx.png
    Go go gadget low budget occlusion map ghetto paintjob!
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zhixson wrote: »
    My first attempt at deliberate super low poly modeling and it barely squeaked in under the limit. I'm sure there are many places where it could easily go lower, but my noob eye couldn't find anything to sacrifice and still manage to preserve the silhouette.
    vsfvuRx.png

That green part on his back was modeled right?
    but to me it looks sooo thin from the sideview that it could've easily been a plane with an alpha map on.
    Unless you don't want to use alpha's in your game, the model seems quite ok with me.
    Texture is still a WIP I think?
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    Hello all,
    this is a light house I'm working on for a videogame project.
    The modeling is finished, meaning the design is fixed, but the main body has to be halved on uvs, while texture is ready only for the upper part, from windows and above.
    More to come.
    C&C are welcome.
  • Tailedfoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tailedfoxx polycounter lvl 6
    Ok... here we go... This is my first post on polycount and my first 100% complete object.
    The helmet has 1100 tris, 1024x1024 textures.
    I am really waiting for your critics guys :D
    helmet_by_tailedfoxx-d7ce1ki.jpg
  • zhixson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zhixson polycounter lvl 8
    That green part on his back was modeled right?
    but to me it looks sooo thin from the sideview that it could've easily been a plane with an alpha map on.
    Gaaah, you're totally right. For some reason I have it in my head that UDK isn't very friendly toward double sided alpha mapped textures. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaaah, you're totally right. For some reason I have it in my head that UDK isn't very friendly toward double sided alpha mapped textures. Thanks for the suggestion!

No worries. UDK can handle a whole lot more then that ;D hehe
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    Tailedfoxx wrote: »
    Ok... here we go... This is my first post on polycount and my first 100% complete object.
    The helmet has 1100 tris, 1024x1024 textures.
    I am really waiting for your critics guys :D

It looks great, but why are there scratches of silver? Was the helmet forged in iron and then painted to be gold? :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    vsfvuRx.png

I think you should do a go go gadget proper hand-painted map, instead! :poly128:
    Work this lowpoly really depends on the texture to make it look awesome. If you cut corners in this area, it tends look the part. :poly129:
  • Tailedfoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tailedfoxx polycounter lvl 6
    Yelle wrote: »
    It looks great, but why is there scratches of silver? Was the helmet forged in iron and then painted to be gold? :)

Well that's because first time that gold looked like plastic to me :D So I decided to desaturate it and add the silver scratches. Didn't realized that will be eye-bothering. Maybe I will review the diffuse map. :)
  • Yelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yelle triangle
    Tailedfoxx wrote: »
    Well that's because first time that gold looked like plastic to me :D So I decided to desaturate it and add the silver scratches. Didn't realized that will be eye-bothering. Maybe I will review the diffuse map. :)

It's not really bothering me, I was just wondering why there'd be the appearance of silver underneath gold. :)
  • UnsubRedun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UnsubRedun null
    Hey! Just finished reading basically this entire thread. Excellent stuff guys.

I don't model as much as I probably should, and I haven't really done a ton of low poly stuff, but I love the process and the challenge of getting a good, stylistic character with such a low budget. I'm starting a project, or trying to, with a coder buddy of mine to make a simple little strategy game called Miamia. Sort of a medieval fantasy deal, but instead of being in say, a forested middle ages Europe, it's set in a late 80's/early 90's coastal city like Miami or California.

Anyway, enough of that, here's something I did as an aesthetics test:

xSxIjIZ.jpg

I'm positive I could have gotten even lower, but my optimization skill need a little optimization.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UnsubRedun wrote: »

I'm positive I could have gotten even lower, but my optimization skill need a little optimization.

I see what you did there :poly129:

Nice work on the texture :)
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
  • Bunnirobotcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    mario_plant_zps6997611e.pngmario_plant_grid_zps5b34b207.png

working on mario knock off plant. gonna alpha texture for the first time.
    C&C much appreciated.
  • nogu96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why so many polygons in the leafts?
  • Bunnirobotcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    oh i totally spaced that. should only be one >.>
  • Dafali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a low poly Excitebike thing, hope I'm embedding this correctly...
    And the guy on the bike is very very badly built and not at all optimised,
    but i think it looks alright and i'm pretty happy, it's one of my first models :)
    [sketchfab]b2ce8b6306fb436f83cd0d0f70eef5bc[/sketchfab]

Edit: Btw, how do you make a thumbnail for the model?
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dafali wrote: »
    Edit: Btw, how do you make a thumbnail for the model?

You press on the camera icon in the top left corner.
    But yeah, sketchfab has changed it interface recently.
    At least it comes up there for me now ;)
  • shinobik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobik polycounter lvl 12
    skylebones wrote: »
    this is so cool! I love these small planes!
    Well done :)
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @skylebones- this is cool. Like them textures and colors
  • Dafali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You press on the camera icon in the top left corner.
    But yeah, sketchfab has changed it interface recently.
    At least it comes up there for me now ;)

Huh, I have done that several times on different uploads and it didn't work.
    As far as I can tell it only saves the camera position for me.
    I got a thumbnail on one of my uploads once at random :P
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    OUR PROJECT HAS GONE PUBLIC so I can finally post this! ALSO BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR TRAILER ON THE PAGE OK? we put alot of effort into it! (also I did not make the character art and the logo at the bottom.)
    1ShWmDq.png
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dafali wrote: »
    Huh, I have done that several times on different uploads and it didn't work.
    As far as I can tell it only saves the camera position for me.
    I got a thumbnail on one of my uploads once at random :P

... Well then o.O' I have no idea :poly142:

Here's a quick WIP of my current project:
    1278071_296512040511967_512562161_o.jpg
    Mesh given by teachers :)
  • Dafali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 Nice warm colors, looks nice! :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    LMPKgml.png
    I wanted to try to get this lower but i think I've reached the limit, more with the textures and stuff when i get to it, but couldn't hold out. :)

Sweet nice texture work 512x512 textures?

SBones that is bad ass what is the count on the base?
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    Sweet nice texture work 512x512 textures?

It's split into 5 different texture maps.
    The maximum I went for is 1k for the platform. The rest is 512 for trees, dead tree+mushrooms and stones.
    256 for the alpha planes.

I'm polishing all the visuals right now so you can expect something like this:

2ueo1l4.jpg

for everything :)
  • Saigo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sweetangel0467
    That looks nice, especially the colors, but 5 textures, including one 1024x1024 seems like way too much for that. Let's see the final version though.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saigo wrote: »
    @Sweetangel0467
    That looks nice, especially the colors, but 5 textures, including one 1024x1024 seems like way too much for that. Let's see the final version though.

I get what you mean. Although I'm just following my teacher's orders :poly121:
    I tried those rocks in a 256 texture but they just looked so blurry :poly116:

Oh well :) it never hurts to work on bigger sizes to then downscale :D
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet i don't know about those texture maps i am sure you want to follow what the teacher is saying so i'd just follow what he wants, no normal maps and such, if there are then i can see a little bit as to why he wants those maps like that otherwise it is not always good to re-size down it has been said work at required resolution, either way this is a learning process if your in school you'll learn from your teacher and from PC, check wiki if you haven't. Nice progress and details will enjoy more, but don't be like me and post too quickly it annoys people on here i think. lol :)
    Not me i.d.c. the more the merrier.

Not meaning to update so soon but i created a high from the low and was surprised how well it worked out and was faster than creating the low, i guess with all the objects in place it helps. :) I am sure it is "sort of" wrong to do the high like this but it worked for me and i just wanted to share that it can be done.

Meh textures soon-ish, doing a test with this bad boy, will post concept and all that when i get to a decent level.
    25zgew6.jpg
  • UnsubRedun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UnsubRedun null
    XS3AWyl.jpg

Next model for my little project. Miamia State Police Department Riot Knight. Figured since the Mayor is like the king, the police force should be vaguely euro-style knights and paladins and such. Just the color test at the moment, texture is WIP.

926 tris including his sword and shield.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    Sweet i don't know about those texture maps i am sure you want to follow what the teacher is saying so i'd just follow what he wants, no normal maps and such, if there are then i can see a little bit as to why he wants those maps like that otherwise it is not always good to re-size down it has been said work at required resolution, either way this is a learning process if your in school you'll learn from your teacher and from PC, check wiki if you haven't. Nice progress and details will enjoy more, but don't be like me and post too quickly it annoys people on here i think. lol :)
    Not me i.d.c. the more the merrier.

I see.. yeah I'm not doing normal, spec or gloss with this.
    I have looked at the wiki for topology and stuff but since I'm not one to do a lot of normal mapping I haven't looked there yet :poly124:

By posting too quickly do you mean putting WIP's on here? I've seen it been done before and seeing how an asset grows is always very interesting to me. :)
    Didn't know people were annoyed by that o.O'
  • jordanpascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    45 minute speed model of a sci fi computer (Inspired by the mass effect universe)

326 tris, 1024, diffuse spec normal and emissive maps :3

pX1vusg.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Next model for my little project. Miamia State Police Department Riot Knight. Figured since the Mayor is like the king, the police force should be vaguely euro-style knights and paladins and such. Just the color test at the moment, texture is WIP.

a) this looks cool and b) at first i thought the insignia meant "MS Paint Department" which I'm sure it would make a great meme for ;)
  • nekrokosmos
  • NowvaB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3

Yes!
    I love the concept of this project, good luck!
    Reminds me a darksouls how he carries a 2handed sword and great shield at the same time. haha
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This time it's "finished"!
    forest_scene_by_sweetangel0467-d7dcj0q.jpg
    I'll post some higher res stuff on my sketchbook later.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very stylish, Jessie! I love the color choices.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very stylish, Jessie! I love the color choices.

Thanks a bunch :) Color is really something that drives me. :poly135: Usually when I pick up a game and see almost only grey I put it back on the shelve. But that's just me I guess :poly142:
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch :) Color is really something that drives me. :poly135: Usually when I pick up a game and see almost only grey I put it back on the shelve. But that's just me I guess :poly142:

It's not just you! For me as well, those types of games can stay on the shelf. :poly142:
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not just you! For me as well, those types of games can stay on the shelf. :poly142:

The major reason why I don't play shooters is because they are like that.. it's not that I dislike the gameplay.. I play Bioshock/Jak 2/Jak 3 as well.. but at least it has beautiful graphics to get me in the world and also nobody calling me a noob :poly105:
    It seems kind of shitty to grade a game on it's graphics.. but it's like the first impression you get.

To come back to the topic of this thread.. I love low poly because of this reason :D Before it can look good you have to be creative with the limits you have.
  • raste28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just want to ask if my low poly is clean, or there is more unused polygon,sorry about my english xDReport-Rst-028-V1-1-446131553?ga_submit_new=10%253A1396955387

http://raste28.deviantart.com/art/Report-Rst-028-V1-1-446131553?ga_submit_new=10%253A1396955387

here is the link