Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk, that looks excellent!

I accidentally deleted the previous stuff I was working on, which I'm pissed off about, so I started working on a low-poly version of Viola from Timesplitters (please let me know if anything should be changed before I start texturing):

viola1d.jpg
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    This is here i wound up getting my low poly young hellboy please tell me what you all think. first low poly char

HellboyComp.jpg
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    looking pretty good, i think there are some lines that are too black and need toning down a bit, like the seam from the arm to the shoulder.

keep up the good work though.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Nice silhouette on Viola, man!

sub_roland, your poly distribution seems odd. Feels like you could redistribute a lot of polies to the bigger hand so you can make solid fingers instead of planes, which would sell his larger hand much better.

Started on a bionic commando model. Started off with basically realistic proportions, but decided I was a bit bored with it, so i reshaped it to bobble-head proportions. Head's still quite wip. I'm going with with the hair in the original concept art (loosely tied back) instead of the [imho] awful-looking straggly hair of the current shots.

old

update:
    bioniccommando-wip2.jpg

the bionic hand has been modelled in both grapple and "hand" positions. I figure if this were in a game, it'd just swap the hand models as needed.
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok made the the changes, lighten up some of my darks, and gave fingers thickness, was able to cut a bunch of cuts from the face to help with the poly count and got it lower then before

HellboyComp-1.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that's what Lotekk meant at all.
    The fingers on his large hand really don't work right now, and they're also 4-jointed. You could get rid of the geometry for where his shirt closes, that's quite overkill compared to the rest of the model. This would allow you to give him a solid hand, as this sort of thing doesn't really work to portray something so 'chunky' as his hand. You could also get rid of a loop here and there, like the one around his bum, you could stand to lose that one, I think. Also, I think you could go for some less soft lighting on his texture. Put in some more highlights and details, maybe paint in some lighting coming from below (light bouncing on the floor...), darken the remaining shadows, give the creases in his clothing some more depth, rather than being single lines...
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Heh, love the teenage hellboy! \o/
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub roland:
    messy paintover

Bobble-ionic Commando!

bioniccommando-wip4.jpg
    bioniccommando-wip5b.gif

i haven't unwrapped the bionic arm yet, but it'll be on a separate texture (64x64 maybe).
  • MacTom27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LotekK, lol, it would be funny to see how this guy walk with such a huge metal arm. laugh.gif

another pimp fitting more the LP render rules :
    coccipq2.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    it's about time I started posting + contributing here, been browsing here for ages laugh.gif some pro work going on, pretty inspiring I must say.
    Thought i'd ease in with a low poly, from a recent competition. enjoy!
    beauty.jpg

wire.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    couldn't be any better Massbot!

I would suggest a really low rez texture version with pixelation / no blending on the textures, could look interesting
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    @Massbot
    Haha awesome!

@Mactom
    That looks very nice.
    Maybe get rid of the grain on the wings and make them more shiny. grin.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahahah woot more DOTT fan! Nice work! mine had smaller spec tho NANANAN

benardee_wip.jpg

I still didnt finish it tho lol
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha sweet b1ll! smile.gif I'll make the other 2 main character's when i've got a bit more time for sure.
    hawken - Thanks, and nice idea!
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    ha i recognise that! laugh.gif good stuff massbot.....if that is your real name. May i suggest in the renderer, switching the render type to catmull rom and turning off the filetr tab. This will render the actual geometry with a anti alias edge and maintain the pixelated look. I prefer doing mine in that style anyway, so each to there own.

good stuff!
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah nice one uk, i'll check it out
  • Tennis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis polycounter lvl 16
    ahh day of the tentacle, very cool laugh.gif

working on a new model, not really sure where im going with it, but this is what i have so far.
    lpp.gif
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey was gone for the weekend thanks for all the feed back. gonna start working on that today. Lotekk love where you went with the bobble-ionic. cool character. and massbot fricken awesome. and a note on my model hellboys "key" hand the fingers have 4 segments. also, lotekk thanks for the image explains some stuff, nice of you to do that.
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, hes a little bit of the progress i made today, fairly minimal, didnt touch clothing textures, still need to. getting a little tried with this model gonna start working on another and jump back and forth between them. but please tell me your thoughts i know your all good at that.

HellboyComp.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey sub, coming on well but it might be worth starting a thread for it- I dont think this thread is meant as a place to post continuous wips, and also the thread's definition of low poly is 500 or so, which you've got double smile.gif

tennis, cant wait to see the texture!
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k, thanks rooster, didn't realize
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    uk_resistant, that robotnik is full of all kind sof win.
  • MacTom27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Slaught for the crits smile.gif
    f_cocc2m_a247f8e.jpg

Another insect : Dragonfly
    f_dragonflyprm_27455ca.jpg

Wireframe : http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/26/f_wireframedrm_10b2596.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could squeeze in a lot more detail with less wastefull uv's, so much even that you could have the 64x look close to the current 128x.
    nevertheless, if you were to present this 64x texture as finished, I'd tell you to rely on your drawing-skills to make it work, as the downsizing entirely ruins the detail of the photo you used. Paint those 'veins' back in, for starters!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta agree with MightyPea. Especially when you're working on small textures, the last thing you want to be doing is downsampling a larger texture. Use that 64x128, and redo the texture. Make use of photoshop's pencil tool. At the size you're looking at, you'll want to stylise things quite a bit, since you obviously can't get the kind of detail you could with a larger texture.

Same thing with the ladybug. Those spots could be a lot sharper. Don't be afraid to push the contrast, either. The spec you added is barely visible. Crank that up.
  • hansedr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, This is my first post and low-poly model + texture. I Was aiming for PSP spec's. I'm not very good at texturing so an crit's (good or bad) would help me out!!! I still need to create the alpha for the cape and gloves. THanks everyone

batmanoe3.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    hansedr: looks pretty cool! i'd move those pecs down though, they seem really squashed to the top. (because of that i first thought the torso was too long, but after looking at it more carefully i spotted the thing causing that)
    also: when texturing i wouldn't use gradients, but paint everything myself, because that gives better results and is much more controlable.
    keep it uP!
  • hansedr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good man. Thanks for the input. I plan on finshing it this weekend (after reading some crit's on it) and start on the superman version.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    This guy is a supporting piece for my dissertation (I'm doing two other next gen models, this one's sort of a filler). I literally pulled it out of my ass by starting yesterday and finishing now with no sleep - don't ask.

I realize that my texture is ever more horrid than my model, but every crit that comes in while I have time to fix stuff (I have to write 2000 extra words for my dissertation so I might not be able to do it) will be much appreciated.

The first two pics are identical, except for the diffuse map, which is sharpened in photoshop in the first, and the unsharpened is the second one.

Please advise on which one to use and if anyone has any tips for the hands it'd be great. The seam is too obvious right now.

I also am a horrible person: I couldn't put detail in the face at 256x256 so I scaled up to 512x512 and scaled down in the end mad.gif

One last thing: I hope it's somewhat clear who this guy is supposed to be?

tl/dr version: does anyone understand who this guy is supposed to be, and do you have any tips to improve him? 512 tris, 256x256 diffuse.

16m3jiv.jpg

icohky.jpg

vzf141.jpg

kf01g8.jpg

/edit big thanks to Ferg for the tips!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    BTW, love the Batman and Bernard.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    *barges through the door, stunned*
    Hahaha what is your dissertation about?! Seinfeld or the whole N-word shpeil that happened with this clown? either way, good likeness, face could probably be worked on some more, try zooming in deep on a reference photo and try to get the likeness to match up as much as possible.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Heh, no I'm not into political studies. Thing is, I first watched Seinfeld this year (I'm Greek studying in the UK) and I only found out about Richards' racist meltdown a bit later.

It's sad, but you know, the character of Kramer is the archetype of the good mannered guy who would never do something like that and I chose to keep that in mind when working on this model.

/end babble

Anyway, I'm doing 3 models for my dissertation, 2 normal mapped ones and this, plus a 10k word report.

Do you think the face could be improved on the texture or would I have to edit the model too? I spent most of my painting time trying to get the face right, with references and everything, but it's fucking hard man. It actually is my first model at <500 tris and 256x256 maps, so my technique really is crude - the fact that I generally suck at texturing doesn't help either.
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    One last thing: I hope it's somewhat clear who this guy is supposed to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh that's Kramer. I would recognize him anywhere and in any way or shape tongue.gif. His hair could use a bit more work. Kramer's hair is curly and messy like a bird nest, not spiky.
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madPXL polycounter lvl 10
    my favorite console made with 12 tris and a texture of 128*64

pxl_gameboy.gifgb.png

[EDIT] the texture is edited to a power of 2 !
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    amazing work madPXL ! laugh.gif looks really cute !
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    madPXL, 128x96? Thats not power of two, so it wont exactly be nice on the eyes.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    my favorite console made with 12 tris and a texture of 128*64

pxl_gameboy.gifgb.png

[EDIT] the texture is edited to a power of 2 !

[/ QUOTE ]

oh this demands just one beveled corner!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that handhelds like the DS don't necessarily need textures to be a power of two.
  • MacTom27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the critics

I reworked the low res textures :
    t_cockflym_c4fc44f.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that handhelds like the DS don't necessarily need textures to be a power of two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhhhhh, software rendering... Yeah its possible, but its also slower to load them into memory I believe?
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The DS does need textures in power of two format.

Also madPXL, I'm unsure why 12 vertices rather than 8? Is that just for the texturing?
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The DS does need textures in power of two format.

Also madPXL, I'm unsure why 12 vertices rather than 8? Is that just for the texturing?

[/ QUOTE ]

8 ? how you want to make a full box with 8 vertices? smile.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    lab- 8 verts, 12 tris
  • Labyrinth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    lab- 8 verts, 12 tris

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doh
  • evlm0d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evlm0d polycounter lvl 10
    Hello! I've been admiring the low poly thread for a while and thought I'd give it a shot.

fett.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    inspired by this thread I created this little girl for a game project in flash
    little_girl_poly_test_01.jpg

this was my initial drawing:
    feng_clr_dune_char_concept2.jpg

this is how it looks in the flash engine:
    little_girl_poly_test_02.jpg

the flash demo
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    cool gal renderhandjobs, welcome to polycount!
    be sure to duplicate the hair polies, flip them, and attach so that you can see the hair behind her head in the flash demo!
  • Tennis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis polycounter lvl 16
    renderhjs:
    looks great, the face to use a few more details though.

madPXL:
    looks awesome :D

were meant to do a fake mockup of Fzero DS as an aprils fool, but never got further then modeling the blue falcon. so i thought i would just share it as it is.
    lowpoly_fz_bluefalcon.gif

fzero.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    sweet as always tennis!
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis : Thanks :D

The blue falcon looks terrible ! I want a F zero game on my ds lite now :(
    maybe you can do the next days a mockup like what you did with the great kid icarus !