Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    I think you're wasting too much space on the light saber. The tiny noise detail you're getting from that extra space isn't worth the space you would save by just cramping it all into a tiny color square and scaling up the hand uvs.
  • Dbprogrammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dbprogrammer polycounter lvl 10
    Never though of that:poly115:

Skywalker2.jpg

BTW, is it ok to post non textured models here because I don't always texture them because i'm not so good at it.
  • Dr_Graevling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr_Graevling polycounter lvl 11
    madPXL: Love that Bomberman. Really sweet.

Dbprogrammer: You still have lots of wasted space in your texture, you should try and get your UV-map tighter in order to utilize as much of the space as possible. And try turning off texture filtering in your 3D app to get your texture crisper. Unless you're going for N64-style "texture soup". Another thing that I kind of react to is that it seems like the light sabers are extruded from the hands instead of being separate objects. You could save polys by having them separate and just fit them into the hands and letting the faces clip through each other. You could use the extra polygons to give him some shoulders. The light sabers could also be made better by having two cross-intersecting faces with alpha to give off that "beam" feel. It's not that important, it's just a suggestion.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    finished Dr Robotnik, as well as Tom tallian inspired battlestar galactica Mk7 viper wip.

robonik_sheet.jpg

mk_7.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice, uk_resistant! The texture is awesome

GsKanible, neat-o! I mod WarCraft III too
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madPXL, nice bomberman :D

uk_resistant, really good work! I like the stains under the air-vents, great texture
  • prototype_sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    prototype_sky polycounter lvl 10
    Novice Attempt at a Low Poly Laharl since I was a disgaea fan and was inspired by the prinny low polygon model earlier. Still have to finish the texture map
    wiplaharl.jpg
  • Ravey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravey polycounter lvl 18
    Solid Snake from MGS2... Needs to be UV Mapped and textured, i'm happy with the model as it is right now.

http://www.monkeybladers.com/SolidSnake.rar
    mgs2solidsnakerh3.jpg

If anyone has any tips for UV Mapping too that would be greatly appreciated... I'm going to aim for a 128x128 map.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    *Ravey* in response to when you did want to take out tris...
    you could possibly take some out the hands, depending on how you want them to move, and also the mouth.
  • JimJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great thread

Wip
    jobwipua7.jpg
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimJim wrote: »
    Great thread

Wip
    jobwipua7.jpg

Is that joker?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    JimJim wrote: »
    Great thread

Wip
    jobwipua7.jpg

nice style, looking forward to discovering what it will be
  • Dr_Graevling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimJim; looking good there. Only looking at the mesh I'd say it kind of looks like Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. Whoever it is, it's certainly looking sweet.

GsKanible; A general rule in this thread is to keep the characters at 500 tris or less. My suggestion would be to make a separate thread or use the WAYWO-thread instead, as those characters are around 1000 tris.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    yes, wrong thread :)
  • Dr_Graevling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here's a wizard... and a female gladiator-something.
    fantasy_crew_02.jpg
    fantasy_crew_02_stats.jpg
    I went a little crazy when modeling them, so they're at a slightly higher polycount than the other three.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I just love that style,- great stuff Dr_Graevling
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    nice nice the woman is hot heh gj with all these lil characters they really have something really appealing about em :D
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is dis Gauntlet II lol?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    pretty cool stuff. i have a question though - people have been telling me all my life to try to model in quads only. why is it okay to use a lot of tris on those low poly models?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    quads are important in Subdivision modeling approaches,- because every quad gets devided into 4 more quads on each intersection level.
    180px-Catmull-Clark_subdivision_of_a_cube.svg.png
    When using Low poly,- it doesn´t matter at all because you dont depend on the subdivision algorhythem also known as Catmull-Clark subdivision (a pixar guy invented it actually)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    but even in poly modelling people tell me to just use quads, avoiding tris at all costs. some people told me tris cause lighting issues, some told it causes deformation issues when animating... my guess is that no one really knows what they're saying
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Well, using tris to model low-poly things doesn't matter, unless you plan on making a hefty normal map
    But for high/med poly, you may be doing some more detail and use tools such as mesh smooth or turbosmooth in 3ds Max, and those two subdivider tools make everything into quads, and if you use triangles it can cause some deformities
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    as the other guys said, tris are ok, but if you have mostly quads to work with it's just easier to see what you're doing, a lot less edges to be concerned with. It is important however that you use "edit triangulation" (in max) to make sure that the faces are triangulated well. hope that helps!
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff in here.

Graevling: Awesome! Love the bite-sized warriors.
    madPXL: That little green dude is really cute.
    uk_resistant: Robotnik turned out well. Nice crisp texture.
    JimJim: Finish please. =]
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    First post here, and trying to contribute to this already awesome thread.
    I just finished the model, fear its epic tummy-hole. Texture is 128*128, forgot to mention on the screenshot.

Zombie.gif
  • TotallyAwesome
    458 tris, no texture yet.
    InquisitorWipRender.png
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    fonfa wrote: »
    my guess is that no one really knows what they're saying

there are no huge standards in anything with computers.. everything changes, pretty quickly too.

but there are current pros and cons relative to the scope of the project and future development,..

during deformation you dont want your quad to cut from 1 diagonal to the other (weird flipping)... so u set it manually by making them tris. (maya has a "reuse triangle" property, not sure what engines support it though)

for better control on smoothing keeping quads is more "organized" bc triangles are trying to shove a loop into a point essentially destroying the forms flow, causing pinch often.

a long time back (10 years.. ooooo ancient :) ) you would certainly triangulate bc the engines rendered them better

alot of what you hear IS old standards that simply exist bc they did and poeple all stick to them...., so they become standards.. even though you can break them.
    so yes no one knows what they are talking about, and yet everyone knows what everyone else is talking about

whats really important though is to have a direction,, so pick a side and be certain in your life <gives thumbs up for that cliche non-sequential pep talk>
  • Dr_Graevling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really glad you guys like my little fantasy crew. I'm actually thinking of adding some adversaries to them. Perhaps make a whole scene with a dungeon and stuff.

Hellmouth: Nice zombie. Although I really think you could work a little on that black hole. Would be really cool to see some guts and stuff there instead of just black.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    Hey,

Loving the work in this thread.
    Graevling cool little dungeon set, really like them. I'm also doing a little gang of Dungeon crawlers more on the chaos side tho..:)

here is my Dark warrior he is 470 tris ands a 128 texture, weapon is 32 tris atm with a 64, still wip.:) weapon needs some help.

dark-warrior.jpg

more to come.
  • JimJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf> Really good

Update
    Textures still Wip
    jobwip2yd7.jpg
  • rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats awesome JimJim... great style
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    Hey JimJim, that's looking very cool.
    nice style on the texture and model..:)

Here is a Dark-witch and her half assed summon skelly.
    Witch is at 560 tris atm with a 128 texture, still working on getting her down. I guess I could loose the 5 fingers.:)

Skelly is at 491 tris, and no real texture yet at 128.:)

dark-witch.jpg

skelly.jpg
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some gory bits within my zombie's stomach...

Zombie-1.gif?t=1210267883

Aaaand a question, where do I have to put opacity maps in order for them to work? :poly103: I've asked before, but my rather slow wits seem to not comprehend the information...

EDIT: Mrawolf, how do you get such a clean and unshaded screenshot of your model(s)?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    jimjim and mrawolf: awesome!
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth, what program are you using?
    Nice work Jimjim & mrawolf
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    Hey

Thanks Ferg..:)

Looking good hellmouth, really low poly, seams are showing a little..:) be nice to see some more blues and red in the skin as well, looking more decayed. nice shading tho.

what App you working in..?
    I'm in Max so i configure my driver to do nearest texel lookup, then crank the scene ambient to white, and set the self -illumination to 100 in the material.

you could do the same in maya by making all the vert colours white. and choosing display with no lights.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Max 5...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    JimJim love that style !
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Jimjim = Awesome
  • Japi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Here is a very low poly character (160 tris) for nds game.
    Critics are welcome.

http://site.voila.fr/div/Joe1.jpg
    Joe1.jpg

Joe1.jpg
  • Riv3t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riv3t polycounter lvl 10
    Still a w.i.p

Around 250 tris with a 256x256 map.

wip2.jpg

wip.jpg

wip3.jpg
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    beauty.jpg

496 tris for the character and skateboard. (no texture yet but it's going to be 128x128)
    146 tris for the accessory.

accessory uv:
    accessoires.jpg

I need some crits:P
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid wrote: »
    there are no huge standards in anything with computers.. everything changes, pretty quickly too.

but there are current pros and cons relative to the scope of the project and future development,..

during deformation you dont want your quad to cut from 1 diagonal to the other (weird flipping)... so u set it manually by making them tris. (maya has a "reuse triangle" property, not sure what engines support it though)

for better control on smoothing keeping quads is more "organized" bc triangles are trying to shove a loop into a point essentially destroying the forms flow, causing pinch often.

a long time back (10 years.. ooooo ancient :) ) you would certainly triangulate bc the engines rendered them better

alot of what you hear IS old standards that simply exist bc they did and poeple all stick to them...., so they become standards.. even though you can break them.
    so yes no one knows what they are talking about, and yet everyone knows what everyone else is talking about

whats really important though is to have a direction,, so pick a side and be certain in your life <gives thumbs up for that cliche non-sequential pep talk>

Do you, though? Which engine can display quads and have them "cut from 1 diagonal to the other (weird flipping)"? I ask because I really don't know, and I've never heard of it. In fact, the only engines that support quads as such, that I know of, actually keep them flat. And engines triangulate the mesh themselves. The reason why you would triangulate in max/maya whatever on lowpoly models is so you can edit the flow of edges.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    afaik this only happens in mayas viewport. you can export collada models in quads, but when the models are packed to engine data they get triangulated, its not done in real time (seems like thatd be a waste of resources?). ive never heard of an engine flipping quad edges in real time
  • Bruno Afonseca
    my very first low poly character
    sd852.gif
    175 tris so far. gonna do the whole body and animate him, so still trying to figure out how to make the chest and shoulders.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimJim
    Digging that style you got there, very painterly, showing visible brush strokes. Can I see some flats?

Riv3t
    Nice little creature, he looks like one of those hoppers from Zelda?
  • Riv3t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riv3t polycounter lvl 10
    StJoris: Pass? :) Which Zelda? There must be dozens of hopping monsters between all the different games, hehe. o_O
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Japi, make the arms and legs 3 sided and use the extra polys to make a loop in the center. The way you have it now means you can't mirror your texture and that means way less detail on your 64x64. Even if you keep it this way you can really do better on the UV layout. I know the model will look tiny on the screen but thats no excuse not to push it to the best you can make it. Also the central loop will mean you can make the head less sqaure and odd looking.

These ultra low poly models are really tough to do but with planing and determination you can make them really shine.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Japi, make the arms and legs 3 sided and use the extra polys to make a loop in the center. The way you have it now means you can't mirror your texture and that means way less detail on your 64x64.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can mirror texture within a polygon by laying half of it outside the UV space and in texture options, choosing "mirror" in max or "flip" in maya. I saw a post here showing how to do it a while ago.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    True that but it depends on the game engine AFIK. The center loop will help improve the shape of the model significantly as well as ensure that the mirror works on any game engine you throw it in.