Home General Discussion

Pierce Brosnan - "Goodbye 007"

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Hugh Jackman looks to grizzly? Watch Kate & Leopold.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Yuan, thanks! smile.gif

I agree Mop. They would need to dye the hair for McGregor, but I think he could work well.

Jude Law is a little too..too.."Hugh Grant" for my taste. Law reminds me of a "Moore type" acting Bond,
    who couldn't kick Moore's ass and wouldn't be believable kicking anyones ass.

The only problem I have with Jackman is that he is Australian. And for me that is a big problem.

"The idea of me playing James Bond got into the press, but it is not true. I would not like to do it ...
    they should find someone the audience has no history with," Farrell said.

While I was pulling for Farrell he is probably right with his asessment!
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    one of the british papers was touting some guy from some welsh language BBC soap opera...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've always touted Ray Winstone as Bond, but Ror always hits me smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Ray ' I'm the fucking daddy now' Winstone? heh , yeah hes got the figure for it doesnt he !
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, who said Bond was a wee skinny lad? Maybe it needs a real man to take the role. He'd be a damn sight better than Jude Law.

"Blofeld? you're fucked mate."

_1146221_ray_winstone_150.jpg

Noone has mentioned Jonny Lee Miller, he might be able to carry it off, but I think he too 'boyish'.

Anyway, Ray is booked up for the next few years, including a major role in Nick Caves "The Proposition".
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Oi Goldfinger! Whar's yuir fooking Chib?'

All due respect to the big man, I love his work, his finer moments like in Sexy Beast are fantastic but he's not bond. Bond , for me, has always been the combination of ruffian , rogue, aristocrat and ladies man. Winstone ain much of an aristocrat or ladies man, as he said himself in Sexy's beasts extras ' I'm normally the guy thats brought into to beat the other fella up, I don't normally get to kiss the girl'.

Jonny Lee Miller might be good, but what you dub boyish, I would simply dismiss as weakness, I dont think he has the necessary scowling nature in his soul like Ewan is able to muster so effortlessly that it sneaks into every third glance the way Nicolsons grin sneaks into his every 2nd glance.

I won't be talked out of this though ( how unlike me) , I've been rooting quietly for Ewan to take on the role of Bond since Shallow Grave.... which was quite a wee while ago now eh? smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    They could always get Johnny Vegas as James Bond... ahahahahaHAHAHA! *cough*
  • Jinxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jinxter polycounter lvl 18
    I would like to a somewhat unknown to play Bond...someone like Adrian Paul.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, he's not an unknown is he? he was in a popular 6-season TV show AND made a movie spin-off
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If everyone uses the term merely to mean residents of Scotland, there's nothing racist about it. Adding four characters to form 'Scotsman' or 'Scottish' makes it an acceptable, no longer a racially charged term? Try adding a few letters to 'nigger' and see if you can make that word acceptable. Can't be done, because it still *is* meant as a racial slur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about the term "pak" or "paki".. highly racial..
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom: Can we let that side of this thread die pls?

I don't actually care if anyone calls me or mine a Scot, that's how I have always referred to me and mine. I raised the point about racial slurs simply to demonstrate how for people from pakistan or china, being called a chink or paki is widely seen as being racist and with the Scottish abbreviation it is not.

The point of bringing that up was to try to encourage people to take a step back and relook at the whole issue.

That point went down like a ton of bricks and it was obvious I was flogging a dead horse so I let the debate die because noone was actually reading whole posts, I was getting ranted at for others words rather than my own.

So , let's keep the thread on the subject of bond pls.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After watching Bridget Jones last night, I'm pretty convinced Colin Firth should not be in the running either,
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Wow I had not seen how far this string has come or gone so to speak.

As far as race I guess you can call me Lost Bastard crazy.gif since I look nothing like my siblings and outweigh most of them x 2 times. I seriously think my creation came out of a few one nighters me Mum must have participated in. shocked.gif

Have any of you considered any of the Baldwin brothers for the 007 role? I think they were Irish?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Frosty you cannot be serious!

smile.gif They're internationally despised! Plus If they are Irish, they're Irish American, which contrary to their own belief, is not actually Irish.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /me crosses his fingers....
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If he doesn't get it, I'll buy you a bottle of Bushmills.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have Black Bush thanks.
    I have witnesses remember!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    if he gets it, they need to get tarantino to direct it, you can pretty much guarantee he'll get rid of the more outlandish toys
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that link about Tarantino and had mixed feelings about it.

On one hand I think if I lump all my favorite Bond movies together (regardless of who plays Bond) they all seem like they were made by the same director. Hence forgoing any ego and following the standard Bond way of directing.

Still, Tarantino is good at homages to directors he has enjoyed!

Would be interesting, but I would bet it won't happen.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    On one hand I think if I lump all my favorite Bond movies together (regardless of who plays Bond) they all seem like they were made by the same director.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a reason for that. If you discount the two oddballs of the 007 series, Never Say Never Again and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, there were just four Bond directors through the first three decades of the franchise (John Glen, Lewis Gilbert, Guy Hamilton, Terence Young). Each of them directed at least three films, so they managed to establish a certain continuity. Additionally, the producer for all for each of those nearly thirty years of films was Albert Broccoli. His last production was the last Dalton film, License to Kill. Since that time (the four Brosnan films), Bond has had a new director for each outing - Brosnan worked with as many directors as Connery, Moore and Dalton combined. The lack of focus that has plagued the franchise over the last ten years can't really come as a surprise when you consider the productions themselves.

Interestingly, none of the Bond directors considered a big name. Competent and solid, but not really anyone that casual film-goers are likely to have heard of. The most famous Bond director would have to be Irvin Kershner on the renegade NSNA, as that was the first film he directed after Empire Strikes Back. Even that's a bit of a stretch, because he never really directed much else that people are familiar with outside those two films.

It's too bad that MGM doesn't go the route of making Bond something of an anthology of highly talented collaborations with top-notch writers and directors, rather than peddling the same formula again and again. I think Tom Cruise had the right idea with his Mission: Impossible series (De Palma, Woo and he'd have had Joe Carnahan if the M:I3 production wasn't fubar), but his gigantic ego has kept them from being as good as they could have been. Oh, or better yet the BMW 'The Hire' series. Perfect example in fact! Not only is Clive Owen pretty damned appropriate for the Bond role, look at the different directors and how they put their mark on their pieces: John Frankenheimer, Ang Lee, Woo (again), Carnahan (again), Tony Scott... Hell, who'd have thought Guy Ritchie such a damned good chase scene? A talented pairing of good writers and directors could be way more significant than whom the new actor will be, if they pick the right pair. Give me writer Chris McQuarrie (Usual Suspects) and director Michael Mann (Heat) and I won't give a damn who's ordering that vodka martini...
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cruise's ego? what about woo's? he told the script writer what stunts he wanted and the guy had to build a movie around them, how's that for ego?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Carnahan dropped out of M:I3 in July due to 'creative differences'. Must be John Woo's ego got in the way there. I suppose it's also Woo's fault that Alan Silvestri was booted from the first film before scoring more than 30 minutes of the movie. Big Cruise fan, are you?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus Verm you know more about the Bond franchise than anyone here I work alongside on the er, Bond franchise.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been studying them as case files in my ongoing research on how to take over the world. So far, I've ruled out robbing Fort Knox with hottie stunt pilots, employing midgets with pitchforks or large men with metal teeth, and anything involving airborne viruses deployed via stealth space station.

laugh.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do you stand on faking faberge eggs?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally disapprove, but that's because I'm a big fan of Carl Faberge's work. My inner super-villain just wouldn't feel right, faking the artistry of one of the world's greatest artisans. On the other hand, I find the idea of henchmen with circular saw yo-yo weaponry to be strangely appealing...
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Another bond goodbye. Since Brosnan is out of the picture, Samantha Bond (Moneypenny), will also be calling it quits.
    frown.gifsamantha_bond.jpg
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Another bond goodbye. Since Brosnan is out of the picture, Samantha Bond (Moneypenny), will also be calling it quits.
    frown.gifsamantha_bond.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]Awww... She was a good actress.. frown.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz I was serious about the Baldwins, just did not realize they were so hated. I had thoughts along the taller leaner Balwin, Daniel I think.

Is Liam Neeson also a horrible choice?

Vermilion knows everything about everything. smile.gif

I think Ben Affleck should play Bond and J-Lo as a hottie a-la-carte. smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm hoping for Ben Affleck to play Bond!! wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    J-Lo as Moneypenny
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if that happens, i will go down to EON with a walther P99 and shoot the frigging producers.

the best bond there never was and never will be is sean bean. it's such a shame he was janus/alec in goldeneye...
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And if I unknowingly walk into the cinema to watch it with those 'actors' in the talked about roles, I trust you will also shoot me too. Save my sanity!

I'd be like one of those poor infected with an Alien types begging those passing by to 'please, kill me'.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha ha! laugh.gif

I never considered Bean, but he would do the part justice. I think he is pretty good in everything I've seen him in!
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester and Mop, quit trying to repeat me! smile.gif hehe.

Hey really Affleck would suck, but he was decent in Phillip Dick's Paycheck, he really was.

As far as Tarantino goes, I just watched, yes just finally watched Kill Bill I and was not that impressed, the opening fight scene with Uma in tight bluejeans and that pretty black chic was the best part of it all. imho.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about Peter Coyote in his younger days or Rip Torn in his youthful days. Fuct I am getting old......:(
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Affleck is dire, Paycheck was fucking abysmal, and Kill Bill was stunning.

And its a pity, but you can't make old people young. Or alive.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first we had Roger Moore pluggin Mcgregor, now we have yet another former Bond recommending him smile.gif

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/14632004.htm
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think ewan would be great, but i think his career would do better not to get saddled with another undeserving franchise of which his role is the best part (no further comment on that one). this 'Ioan Gruffudd' fellow looks like he could be up to it; i think it's a role best for an actor who doesn't have too many really high visibility roles to his credit. not that i'd be unhappy to see ewan in the role, though. anyone besides colin farrell, yech.

also, can someone explain to me why pierce brosnan steps down from being bond, so that he can go and do fairly forgettable bond-like roles? i can't remember what his new one is called but it looks far too much like the thomas crown affair, which was itself pretty bondish. i dunno.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah a Welshman thrown into the mix.

He's a relative unknown. British audiences might remember him starring in the really awesome 'Peacekeepers' BBC drama about UN troops serving in Bosnia.

But I dunno, he seems a bit young and a bit of a mummys boy to me.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Plus there'd be approximately 99% of cinemagoers saying "Yeah, the new Bond film, starring that Gruff-fudd guy!"
    Griffith o_O
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, after next summer it'll be 100% of people saying, 'WTF is mr fantastic doing playing BOND?!'
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... not familiar with him.
    He also seems like he is not a young Bond...

http://www.thisislondon.com/showbiz/articles/20594611?source=Daily%20Mail&ct=5
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    yay! Good choice. James Bond should seethe, and he's a definite seether. It's also important for Bond to seem old enough to have been around the world 50 times and getting his head constantly kicked in, before gaining and losing a wife, and then going round the world another 50 times with another round of vicious kickings. Should be spot on.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    bloodyhell, talk about dredging up an old thread!

I dunno Duke, mid thirties seems young to me compared to the 50+ Brosnan no?

If you don't know Craig, check out 'Layer Cake'. Good movie.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/layer_cake.html

I don't think Craig is absolutely confirmed though.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL yeah it is old, but I consider myself the keeper of this flame smile.gif

Not old as in compared to the other Bonds, but rumors fly around and you hear all this 20 something stuff, that's what I was refering to.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Not going to get into it, so just quickly:

1) Connery
    2) Brosnan

'nuff said.