Pierce Brosnan - "Goodbye 007"

KMan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KMan polycounter lvl 18
Just saw this earlier this morning.
MI6 report on recent magazine interview

pierce_brosnan_quit3.jpg

I'm definitly disappointed about it, but at the same time he was starting to show his age in the last film. I think a fifth film with him would have made that easily apparent. One more, and I think he would have had that 'creepy old' look to him, when he's bagging bond girls left and right.

At least he's out with a bang.

Replies

• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    pierce brosnan was the best bond and anyone who thinks different can suck my P99...
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'm glad mummies boy has stopped trying to follow in Connery's footsteps. I always thought he was useless and feminised the role.

I think my views are clear enough that I dont need to vote.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    pierce brosnan was the best bond and anyone who thinks different can suck my P99...

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) Connery
    (2) Moore
    (3) Dalton
    (4) Brosnan
    (5) Lazenby
    smile.gif
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    No way, Brosnan did WAY better than Dalton...

Oh, and I couldn't decide between Connery and Moore, so I voted Moore because he needs the support!! xD
    + Yeah baby, I'ma vertex! smile.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    can't remember where i saw it but dougray scott, the badguy in mi:2, is up for bond.
    and connery is bond.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was in the sunday mirror a few weeks back, but could be complete tripe.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm the one with the Dalton vote. I liked that his character was the most serious of the lot, and thus he felt the most real to me. The tongue-in-cheek and cliched aspects of the Moore and Brosnan Bonds really turned me off to them - too smarmy or something. Connery was good, but... dunno, something about his performance didn't do it as much for me. I think his macho thing seems a bit too much like an act (though Connery probably really is that way tongue.gif)

Speaking of this, whom they replace Brosnan with is less important to me than where they take the sereis from here. Things have become so vanilla and generic in the series that even the recent titles fail to be compelling; "Die Another Day" and "Tomorrow Never Dies" are so dull, and I'm still irked that they wasted the title "The World Is Not Enough" on a film that was not explictly about Bond, his history and/or family. The days of legitimately interesting plots and memorable foes have been thoroughly replaced by gratuitous explosions, overwrought guest appearances (rememebr when Bond girls were relative unknowns?) and inexcusably whored product placements. Here's hoping (hah!) that the next generation of Bond films can find greatness instead of regurgitating the current tired and uninspired formula.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a big fan of Dalton also, but I can't rate him above Connery or early Moore.
    I agree too, that it's about time for a "non gimmicky" more spy oriented Bond film, like "For Your Eyes Only", "The Living Daylights" or even "From Russia With Love"
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice speech Verm. Not often I can say that about your opinions but having been a large bond fan in the past and having been totally soured on it since he's been turned into another american action hero it's pleasing to hear others ranting about the direction Bond has been taken.

The last film was more about Mrs.Bond and her incompetant husband... plus, when Bond has americans looking superior to brits... you know its not bond anymore.

I've read that Connery WAS that way, he used to punch the stunt doubles for real even. It's interesting reading finding out about how bond all came about from book to film to selecting Connery and so on.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad we can find some common ground, ror wink.gif I absolutely feel that the loss of what made Bond so interesting coincided with the overall dilution of 'Britishness' with the series, for lack of a better word. Things like replacing the Aston Martin with a BMW were frankly disgusting. I can tolerate product placement to a degree, but that was fucking with a part of Bond's identity just to make a few bucks. Does he stop drinking martinis for a couple flicks if Budweiser makes a big enough offer? Things haven't been the same since Broccoli died - he was an American, but he understood the character.

I figure you're right about Connery; he likely wasn't doing much acting in his films, and that's why he seems so over the top sometimes.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Connery of course. I just dont see how anyone else is even in the running. Brosnan was a pretty boy and not much more, Dalton was a nancy boy who showed far too much emotion, Moore was a clown, and Lazenby was, well, Lazenby smile.gif

As for whos next, yeah fellow Scot Dougray Scott has been in the running, but then again so have quite a few others. Most of it has been heresay and rumour. Personally I think Clive Owen might be worth a shot, but would probably need to toughen up a bit. He was convincing in the BMW films stuff, but then the acting was hardly challenging stuff. Still, the same could be said for the Bond role. Im not the least bit dissapointed Kman. Ive looked at that mans face far too much smile.gif Anyway, cant say much more on the subject. Loose lips sink ships ;-)
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Oh and btw Verm, totally agreed that important though the lead role is, the direction of the movies seems far more important after the appalling travesty that was 'Die Another Day'. Now a Tarantino directed Bond. That would be interesting.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I am guessing Im in the minority here, but I always really liked Brosnan as Bond. He was 2nd only to Connery for me. Conner was the original and he holds #1 for sentimental/nostalgic reasons more than anything else.

What made his movies slightly poorer was the direction and writing. The villans just haven't been as interesting lately it seems, nor have the bond girls. I also agree about the Aston Martin, although in the last one didn't he drive an Aston Martin Vanquish?
  • eepberries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Speaking of this, whom they replace Brosnan with is less important to me than where they take the sereis from here. Things have become so vanilla and generic in the series that even the recent titles fail to be compelling; "Die Another Day" and "Tomorrow Never Dies" are so dull, and I'm still irked that they wasted the title "The World Is Not Enough" on a film that was not explictly about Bond, his history and/or family. The days of legitimately interesting plots and memorable foes have been thoroughly replaced by gratuitous explosions, overwrought guest appearances (rememebr when Bond girls were relative unknowns?) and inexcusably whored product placements. Here's hoping (hah!) that the next generation of Bond films can find greatness instead of regurgitating the current tired and uninspired formula.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank god somebody agrees with me on this. It seems like recent James Bond films have focused only on dousing the movie with special effects, James Bond cliches, and "omg flashy gadjits lolleroo."

Imo, Goldeneye was the best James Bond movie. It was a perfect mix of action, dreariness, and crime.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it was an Aston Martin allright Scoob. But not just any Aston. It was bloody invisible! WTF?!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking back, its clear why Connery suited the role. The same logic worked with casting Vinnie Jones as a bit of a hard nut in Lock Stock. Bond was a bit of an uncultured rogue, out to get whatever he could with a smattering of sophistication and charm that seemed not so much tacked on but slipped in now and then to fool people.

I liked that, it rings true to me and I'll always have a giggle knowing that the most dynamic onscreen portrayal of english charm and sophistication has a Scotland Forever tattoo under that white shirt.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ahaha I was waiting for that to crop up from you Ror. It was only a matter of time ;-)
    It is kinda funny though. ( particularly for me in the middle of a half English, half Scottish family! ) Theres many a time in his movies where he gets to say, or Moneypenny gets to say 'For England....' and I always wondered what he felt about saying that. It always struck me as weird that they at least didnt use the term 'Britain'. But anyway, I suspect what your thoughts are on the concept of Britain as a united nation anyway Ror ;-)

I was watching one of his movies the other day. I forget which one, but its just before he kills a guy by throwing him in a bathtub and an electric fire in after him. Anyway, moments before, Bond is mid snogging a Bond chick, and he catches an assailant in the reflection of her eye. As the guy lunges at him with blunt weapon, Bond spins around and uses the girl as a shield and she gets whacked on the head out cold!

Pure Connery! smile.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest I'm glad and I hope next time they choose a fucking an English person. I for one don't want another fake english person, I want a REAL english person, as the role is meant to be.

Sundance, no you can suck my p99. No way in hell is the best bond, nor will he ever.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Beside what Ian Fleming originally envisaged, why should he be specifically English? Hes a spy working for Mi6. Thats the British government. ( That'll be England, Scotland and Wales in case youre unsure ). I dont think Connery ever tried to disguise his accent in the role. Which is why it sounds even more weird when he says 'For England'.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom, I hate to disillusion you, but the character as Ian Fleming wrote him was born the son of a Scot, Andrew Bond. In all likelihood, the modern conception of Bond as English comes from decades of American viewership that doesn't really differentiate England from Britain.

On the subject of new Bonds, I really do like Clive Owen, but I don't know that he'd be right in the role. He comes across as a bit too blue collar to me, without that sort of polished upper-class air that Bond has (you can be a working class guy sipping martinis and gambling on roulette spins, I guess, but it's a bit of a stretch in this role). Also, Owen is already 40. While he's still a decade younger than Brosnan, I wonder if MGM might not want someone they can get more mileage out of. On the other hand, I've also heard Jason Statham's name linked to the role as well, so perhaps older is better... *shudder*. As an interesting geek sidenote, Clive Owen did the voice work for the main character in Privateer 2, way back in 1995 and will play Dwight in the upcoming Sin City movie - pretty cool.

Daz, if you should ever happen to have confirmed insider info on who the next Bond actor will be, I hearby authorize you to email me. Top Secret, of course tongue.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I think Brosnan was a great choice for Bond. He plays the role with a certain panache and style. Granted, some of the more recent movies' villains and "gadgets" have been lame to the point of butchery (newspaper tycoon!? invisible car!?), but I reckon Goldeneye is a really good Bond film. The intro to Tomorrow Never Dies is very good too...

In my opinion, I rank Connery, Moore and Brosnan all at equal levels of Bond-ness, just for different reasons. They all fit the role, I don't think any of them are "definitive" though.
    Dalton was good, but not quite right for some reason ... possibly TOO serious and poker-faced.
    Lazenby was just god-awful ("There are... people out there!").

I'll be interested to see who they pick next. Dougray Scott might turn out to be a pretty good Bond.

You know we're in trouble if they pick Hugh Grant... hahahah!

MoP
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz: When I was a kid I just thought Connery was the coolest and Moore was the funniest and didnt look any further than that. Age and living in other countries / reading up on our history has taught me to appreciate Connery as bond for a whole host of other reasons heh.

I always laughed when he said ' The things I do for England'

I think he was happy to play bond as due to his upbringing he had to be taught how to talk and act like a gentleman before he could assume the role properly and his obsession about not feeling safe until he was a millionaire probably made it easy to utter whatever was required of him ...'The things I do for Connery' and so on.

I like Connery a lot, he has always tried to be himself, never allowed them to hide who he is, has proudly represented himself as a scotsman wherever he has gone and I respect that.

Verm: as you say, good to have common ground. I agree about Owen, hes got his moments but he's no bond.I really enjoyed him in The Croupier.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Connery is always good. Connery in a bad movie is still the one good thing about the movie. He was perfect as an "IRISH" cop in The Untouchables.

As far as Dalton as Bond goes, I think he was a perfect choice, but he got screwed because of the legal battles over the Bond franchise that were going on. Only two movies in I don't know how many years. He finally had to just leave and move on.

I really have always like Moore. His Bond movies to me have either been quintessential or total dogs. I took exception that in some movies he had way too much fun with the character. Still Roger had some of the best cold blooded, license to kill, kills. (LTKK)

The best LTKK for me was Connery in "Dr. No" the Smith and Wesson you've had your six shots line, but Moore would solidly remind you that he would kill too. In "For Your Eyes Only" when he kicked that assholes car off the cliff and in "The Spy Who Loved Me" when the fat cuy was hanging onto his tie on the side of the building. But the absolute best Moore-Bond killing was in what I consider one of the absolute worst Bond movies. "Moonraker" When they went out bird hunting and they had the sniper up in the tree to kill Bond. He took his shot at the bird and the bad guy said "You missed" and Bond said something like "Really?" and the sniper fell out of the tree! I love that seen, but detest (somewhat, it is Bond after all) the movie.

Incidentally, I have not seen "Die Another Day" yet. I don't know why, I just have not seen it yet which seems strange to me.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldnt waste your time Dukester! Honestly I thought it was shockingly bad.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wouldnt waste your time Dukester! Honestly I thought it was shockingly bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
    I will heed your advice, but at some time I'm sure I will see it!

Somehow having Halle Berry play in it reminds me of the Heather Graham character as the American secret agent in the second Austin Powers movie.

In Autsin Powers...good.
    In a Bond film...bad! smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    haha noted Verm.

Certainly Statham and indeed surely even Connerys roots are substantially more blue collar than Owen?! I think you might think of Owen as being blue collar because he doesnt tend to disguise his roots accent wise, but I think hes actually a posh lad really smile.gif Btw, anyone who hasnt seen the BMW films series, theyre really quite well made: http://usa.bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?template=index&country=usa&film=&start=Y

But yeah urgh, Stathams cockney accent and thuggish demeanour as Bond?! Nah wouldnt be right mate! smile.gif What the hell accent was he trying to pull off in 'The Transporter' anyway?!
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moore only made one decent bond movie and that was the spy who loved me. the rest were varying degrees of shit.

connery was good in goldfinger, thunderball and you only live twice.

dalton was ok, but needed to do a third to really settle into the role

lazenby was utter shit 'this never happened to the other fella' W...T...F..?

brosnan had connery's machismo, dalton's seriousness, a hint of moore's comedy and his own irish charm.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Dont diss Lazenby. He did a great job.

Daz - I was under the impression that Northern Ireland was British too?

So far there has been a Scotsman,an Englishman, an Aussie, another Englishman, a welshman, and an Irishman. I reckon the Isle of Man is due a go.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Anything fine as long as they're not outside the British Isles.

Off-topic: But do English accents always sound weird, yet American sounds normal in films? I'm asking as an Englishman to another.. (as it's pretty much set with Americans). But you never get that normal feel unless it's an English film, like Layer Cake.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom: if your own language seems odd to you, you're watching too many american films.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    007 – I never have watched as much of the 007 films as I’d like to have. At home as a snot nosed brat we did not get to see them. Most likely the way women were treated. And the same goes at home now. Too macho on women. And very chauvinistic. Not that I have a problem with it, some girls do though.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, give them a go. The early ones were GOOD films, not just good Bond films. It's a shame that Brosnan never really got a chance to shine in one with a good story.

Niven, now Niven was a great Bond.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm surprised to see our man at Q-Branch hasn't weighed in on this.

And yes Frosty, you should try and catch them when they are on.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Connery is the true Bond of his day, but in the age of the metro-sexual, sadly, Brosnan gets the nod as like Ror said, he's practically a lady.

Thought it's interesting how many Moore-lovers there are here. I read that Moore was quite clumsy in real life, for example, when he enter's Moneypenny's office and tosses the hat on the rack, he never could do it. he tried many, many times until finally having to have a separate shot where it is thrown off camera.

Much like the Three Stooge's Moe's uncanny ability at pie-aiming, Connery landed his hat by himself, everytime. laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Rick - well I was using the term 'Britain' not 'UK'. Is it not termed 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain *and* Northern Ireland? Surely even Northern Irishmen that pledge allegiance to the Queen ( God that sounds so silly in this day and age ) dont consider themselves 'British' at all but Irish?

As I understand it The 'United Kingdom' encompasses Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So technically Northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but it is part of the U.K. Perhaps Ive just been living amongst Californians too long so my geo-polticial knowledge beyond the State has gone out the window. But I dunno, youre the native you tell me. If I I got it wrong apologies.

thnom: Er, no smile.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daz is correct. anyone who lives in england scotland or wales is british and a citizen of the UK. the northern irish are northern irish and UK citizens.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but all non english members of britain and the uk are united in their want to not be linked to england woop woop!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're all just jealous cos england has the best football, rugby and cricket teams
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you're all just jealous cos england has the best football, rugby and cricket teams

[/ QUOTE ]

"football" aka soccer.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehehe... I love the squabbles amongst Britons over their national identities and all that. The whole nation isn't even as big as the state of Oregon, but to hear it told you'd think walking from Scotland into England teleported you into a different hemisphere or something. It's all just so quaint tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Verm, Im in a half Scottish, half English family so I get really bored of the Scots predisposition to resent their English counterparts very quickly. Ive just got no time for that kind of predisposed xenophobia. But then, Im far more internationally minded now than I used to be.

The thing is Verm, you bring up an amusing point about the border. If you were to walk across the border from a provincial Scottish town into a provincial English one ( or vice versa of course ), the people, their culture ( and no, Im not talking about their inherited national identity culture like bagpipes. Im talking about modern culture, 'Pop' culture ), their everyday lives and what they like and dislike, the business they go about, is pretty much exactly the fricking same. It just seems petty and non progressive to me.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Daz, that's what I figured. I mean, practically speaking, England and Scotland are so almost completely identical that the provincialism is very amusing. It's not that there aren't differences, it's that they're played up to such an extreme. Compared to America, Britain is so homogenous that we (Americans) largely don't have a problem lumping them all together. Hell, forget Scottish and English. Try putting a Texan, a person from SoCal, one from Boston and one from Minnesota in the same room and convince me that they're not from different countries. If I remember, you moved from San Fran to LA - I bet you've seen about as much cultural shift between those two Californian cities as exists between Scotland and England. But America was always this way, melting pot and whatnot, so I guess provinciality isn't such a big deal here anymore. In effect, the realms of Scotland, England and Wales are nothing more than states in a country called Britain, but nationalistic fervor will never allow them to be recognized as such. It's still good for a laugh, though smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed. They watch the same shit on TV, laugh at the same comedy, listen to the same music, eat the same shit food and follow the same trends. So one 'side' trying to make out that the other is inferior in some way makes me laugh! Both sides of the border are guilty of that. But personally Ive seen far more 'predisposition' on the Scottish side to be resentful than vice versa. And I dont think they'd even deny that. But to attribute it to history is just a lame excuse. It's simply an enjoyable habit that's gone on too long for them to break out of.

Im back in SF now, my stint in LA wasnt permanent. But hell yes, those two cities and cultures are worlds apart and theyre in the same bloody State.

I see what you're saying, but my living abroad has over the years has made me realise that actually, people are the same everywhere. Some just talk funnier than others. Where I work and live, there is such a wealth of different people, cultures, nations that when I hear people talking to me now, Im not even conscious of what accent theyre saying it in anymore. Just wether or not theyre making any sense smile.gif

Gosh, a bit of a diversion from 007! :]
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! For once I've posted a topic in GD that didn't immediately drop to the bottom.
    Yay!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I thought the SF/LA example would work for you, Daz smile.gif It's amazing how different those cultures are, and yet neither of them would consider themselves as anything other than Californian. Insofar as your getting acclimated to all the different cultures, there's nothing to say to that but "welcome to America!" Even in the less diverse places, you still get a lot of cultural mixing - it actually weirded me out a bit being in Europe, everyone was mostly just plain white folks! In America, you get a little bit of everyone just about everywhere, and most definitely along the coasts. For the most part, I appreciate that and think it makes for a better (or at least more interesting) America, but I sometimes am a bit disappointed at the American lack of national heritage that, say, England has. Just not much sense of history, and I think that lends to a somewhat diminished (cheapened?) national culture. It's not terribly surprising that America is so hung up on style or appearance, as we don't all necessarily share a common depth to relate at a deeper level.

Oh, yeah - good job, KMan laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Daz, to be blunt you can shove yer boredom up yer arse m8! smile.gif

It's easy to sit on high and dispense with reason and say you are bored. The facts of the matter are that the Union of Crowns was established upon Blackmail and corruption and rigged to ensure that Scotland had a representative percentage of 1/6 the parliament it was meant to have an equal share in.

This 'rigged game of cards' was England's first step putting Scotland through the wringer and essentially fucking up our economy and sharing its debts with us and ensuring we've spent the time since then as 2nd class citizens in terms of Education, Trade, Health and pretty much every other medium with which you may choose to measure equality.

England used the same tactic also when it came to 'the irish problem' also. What England couldnt take by force they took by backstabbing, bribery and cooersion.

I'm sorry that I'm literally at you throat here in response to you light , off the hand dismisal of the situation. I appreciate that you were not looking to cause offense.

But I can't stand your attitude of 'I dont really know the full facts but it doesnt really affect me, im tired of half listening to the facts, can't we just move on as it was a long time ago' as its so bloody common and it infuriates me becuase I HAVE read up on the facts more and more as I have gotten older.

The sooner Scotland and Ireland break free of the imperial yoke of England the better imo.

And as for your worldview of things being the same on each side of the border... yeah right!

While Newcastle is pretty similar to Scotland, the further south into england you go the greater the difference until it becomes profound. Afterall, if its not London and the surroundeding communities, its not really England as far as parliament is concerned.

Ach, I've said too much already. You touched a nerve, I'm halfway through reading up on the Scottish Insurrection of 1820 and its just another in a long line of books that contains more facts about the history between england and scotland that cause revulsion in me.

For the americans reading. Think back to your war of Independance with England, if your own countrymen had been bribed and threatened into selling you out and you had spent the ensuing years having all your heros executed as traitors for trying to fight for freedom.... if thats how it was for you, then you would be Scottish , or Irish.

While America was fighting its war of independance, the French were going through their revolution and both Scotland and Ireland were inspired to the ideal of republicanism but both countries efforts were repeatedly infiltrated by english paid spies that sold us out.

Imo, the struggle for independance is still ongoing for Scotland & Ireland and I hope we win free sooner rather than later.

So for those of you who don't understand I hope you understand a little more. Theres centuries of history of being downtrodden involved, the attempted eradication of our culture, a constant set of laws that has caused any young scotsman or irishman when looking for success to have to leave his country and family. Its been going on for a long time and it will never be washed away by the attitude of 'it was a long time ago, I'm tired of hearing about it'
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'm always up for a James Bond thread, but now this has really gotten interesting and educational.
    While as far as I know, I'm mostly from an Irish/English background, I do prefer half my whisky and all my dogs to be Scottish wink.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ror, since I wouldn't know where to begin looking this up, can you give me a brief rundown of exactly how modern England is oppressing/suppressing modern Scotland? I'll admit that my immediate reaction is that this is much ado about nothing, as the realms' similarities are infinitely more significant than their differences. The American Revolution doesn't really help me here as an example, because I don't quite see how England of 1775, supreme imperial power on the Earth, relates to England of 2005, a democratic nation whose influence really doesn't extend far beyond her borders. Racially, Scots and Englishmen are the same basic stock, so what's the basis for any perceived discrimination?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Phew smile.gif

Well, Ive read everything you wrote. I shouldn't really be suprised.

First off, *IT DOES AFFECT ME*. I shall repeat. Half my family are Scottish, the other English. Most of my time in the UK is spent in Glasgow. Which can often be not alot of fun as an Englishman let me tell you pal. But I dont need to tell you. You would probably know that. It does affect me. I bet you I've experienced an awful lot more racial abuse ( yes Ror. Racial. Thats what were talking about here right? Celts V. Anglo Saxons? Thats how you see the 'struggle' when you read your books isn't it? ) at the hands of your countrymen than you have of mine.

I have to ask you. Do you meet someone and hold resentment toward them or think less of them just because theyre English by birth? Or is your 'beef' purely with the English establishment?

Never at any point did I say that I was bored of your nations history and struggle with opression from ours. ( It's a facinating history. ) Never did I repute the historical facts nor claim to know them in any more detail than a Scotsman. But moreover that I was bored with your peoples nations presdisposed resentment toward ours in the modern age. Yes bored. I'll repeat. Bored. Im sorry that my boredom annoys you.

To summarize my thoughts about England and Scotland: I respect and like your country and people alot. I understand that you want to disassociate yourselves from England. I understand that you want to be pissed about shit that happened in the past. I dont give a shit what Scotlands tie is either politically or otherwise to England. What I dont like and think is dumb is the Scottish having a predisposed resentment of the English. Theyre not so different from each other in the modern day.

I think you live in the past Ror. I think you have a romanticized and outdated view of what it means to be Scottish ; to fight for freedom from oppresion. To hate the English. I just think that thats an outdated notion. Thats all Im really saying here.

More importantly, I dont think it's very progressive. Where do you draw the line? How far do you want to go back in history for christs sake?! So you're proud to be a celt. What about me? Where are my roots? Am I interested in my origins? Sure, but not at the expense of resenting somebody not having the same. How far do I wanna go back? Oliver Cromwell? Anglo Saxon? Saxons came from Germany for Gods sake. Does that make me German? Roman? Norman? Viking? Were all mongrels mate. The British Isles as you well know has been invaded since the beginning. It's a mixed bag of genes. I know alot of English wankers, but I know plenty of Scottish ones too.

/and no, that last line wasn't aimed at you. I was just trying to finish on something equalizing.