Home Technical Talk

Not combining the meshes but arranging UVs together on a single texture sheet.

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to 3D Prop and learning more about creating our own game-ready assets. I have a query regarding the creation of game-ready assets, particularly when it involves modeling complex objects like rifles, where components such as the main body, muzzle, grip, buttstock, trigger, etc., are involved.

What would be your preferred approach when it comes to UV mapping such assets? Is it advisable to UV map all the components individually but UV layout only those components together that will remain stationary in the final design? By "UV layout," I mean arranging their UVs on a single texture sheet for easier texturing or baking processes without actually combining the meshes. Meanwhile, would it be acceptable to keep the UV maps of movable or customizable parts, such as the muzzle, grip, and buttstock, separate for potential in-game customization? (Software : MAYA)

I'm keen to understand your preferred strategies for this scenario. If possible, could you provide examples or share your experiences?

Thank you!

Replies