Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quake using Unreal.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
BeastMachineGames polycounter lvl 2
I'm building my own version of Quake inside Unreal. The idea is a 3rd person view Quake game.  ve

Replies

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The modeling tools in Unreal changes how to see and use the engine. It makes creating environment and character chunks easy. Just do it all in one place. 
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    doubtful this is serious was interested up until the selfie... they made mirrors for self admiration, hit up chicks on instagram not  p.c. unless you into dudes then...avatar says trollindo..how come this isn't removed if its b.s. remember that you created this response.
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing BS about me. It's all real-time. Gotta flaunt my male prowise, let all know I'm the top chimp in the business. The business is a no love prison fight. 

Got the basic concept down for the scifi art tunnel. Working on the sci fi catacombs next.  

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out the shapes, material and technology for the scifi catacombs.

p
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Why are you posting this? You're not sharing anything besides your narcissism. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin...... What is it you do? Why are you here? You seem lost Benjammin......rld 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unreal is almost like a Zbrush now with Nanite and the modeling tools. It's possible to just get it done.  
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out enough as to how and look of environments. It's all about make hallways and chunks that can be repeated. Next is take the Quake Champions ninja rip model and redo them. I like the ID 3D Artist art style. They know shape and balance well but I gotta make my own version for legal reasons. The idea is to remake Quake.  Over the course of time it's going to be a different looking game entirely.  

Gameplay wise, I'm thinking more platformer shooter with unique movement system and bullet deflection system.

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the nude base character model with all the sections and time saving symmetry.  I use a socket system I came up with in UE5 so there is no skinning only snapping. It's just hard weighted overlapping parts.  I use code to assemble it all together. The reason for this is so I can have fully destructible meshes and nanite. Plus the look of hard weighted is far better than than seeing stuff that should not bend. 

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Benjammin said:

I don't see how this is an issue. Dude is just practicing part-time onlyfans. The natural progression of the 3d artist after all these layoffs. However since this is 3d showcases and critique, you sculpted your nipples too close together bro, better backdrop and rendering hardware will do wonders too. hope this helps, good luck!
  • nomzod
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    nomzod polycounter lvl 7
    zetheros said:
    Benjammin said:

I don't see how this is an issue. Dude is just practicing part-time onlyfans. The natural progression of the 3d artist after all these layoffs. However since this is 3d showcases and critique, you sculpted your nipples too close together bro, better backdrop and rendering hardware will do wonders too. hope this helps, good luck!
    I would go for a higher resolution on the character textures, just to throw my two cents in

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a game and vfx vet. Paid off my student loans working at others God forsken companies. 

Tomorrow I'll have something more important to show than a key base mesh zbrush model for express character development. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next step is bow tie up an old code experiment I created in Unreal with Chaos. It's a simple character destruction system that is really fun and good-looking. Youtube video of it in action. Also finished up the key base char mesh in zbrush and even have the skel for it. 

https://youtu.be/zUZU3I5pI70?si=qFlhzeE_UVfGSGyv

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Okay you are redeemed, good response and i like the others mention of practicing onlyfans as a progression to making ends "meat".    GIBS! have redeemed you (you need internals though looks silly without them), i like this you have my attention, what are you doing? using the aye-eye-stuff?  Do you want to be a one man show? i was going to attempt something similar but i do not see how one person can do it all... (without a lot of cursing, long nights and stress about wordly things) i look forward to seeing how you "make it your own", without them saying to stop some how, other than that i look forward to a Qtest installer pre-alpha to mess with.
    But yeah its not the place for selfies, i get you feeling your self i would once upon a time have done this also, it just feels really weird man.

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers bro!

GIBS yup and yes will be adding in more details like intrails once the initial systems is settled.

It's only a one man show. I don't have a better answer to getting all the initial stuff looking, working and functioning correctly.

I just gotta do it myself. Can only blame myself is the strategy to getting this done. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Building the basic controller and raw UI. Have to test it for, and remove button combo confliction before adding all the stuff.   

The system to organize it all is run by "Switchers" and "Execution".

The rIght shoulder button is the "Execution button". 

Example. Hold the left shoulder button down press right shoulder to execute it. In that instance, it's reload.

"YBAX buttons" is in game command codes that can be called at anytime. I call the system "Cryptic Codes".   If you know the code for health boost you can type the health boost code in. If you know the code for no clip, you can type the code in.  The YXBA is also for fatality codes when opponent is down and environment puzzles like door code cracking. 

They way I am handling aiming is a bit different than most other games. It's almost like an iron site game but with no iron site. When moving around, the right analog stick is at full look sensitivity. When holding left trigger down, it's at half look intensity. When left trigger is held down and right thumbstick button toggled, it's then at fractional look intensity.

I call this the "Hone" system. It allows a WAY better and more fun and intentional targeting without using targeting systems.

3 is full intensity, 2 is half intensity and 1 is fractional intensity. 

D-pad is used for weapon and inventory wheel.  The idea is one moves their right thumb over to Dpad while moving to find the item and uses the "execution button" to commit to item.

Crouch is left thumb stick toggle . Sprint is press and hold right shoulder button and jump roll is double tap right shoulder button. 

Grenades are a real weapon is the game like a gun. Must swap to them. They can be used with detonators and stuck to places with proximity that makes a sound for all players to hear. 

Melee is special right button, special left button is game menu. 

By making the controller this way almost anything is possible without confusing the player in single player game or multiplayer game. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cant stress the importance of left trigger "hone site" not "iron site". Without it....it really is hard to target.  

https://youtu.be/y-8ESXkJR5g
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one correction for simplicty of controller. The Dpad will also be part of the cryptic codes. 4 keyboard buttons to the left and 4 keyboard buttons to the right. 

special right and left will be gameplay buttons. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm now commited to the code input system. It really helps round out and streamline in new gampelay and that it's not only shooting and movment. 

The neat thing is it's cryptic codes. Which means a limited amount of letters to work with.

how to remember codes. 'YXBA RUDL'  ============ 'You Xtreme B..tard Ahole R Ugly Dumb Luck"

• iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Just remember and try to get the speed of q3a that was the coolest part and the strafe running speed boost possibility, than everything 
     else. ;) nice to see an update. 
    I wouldn't feel pressured to continuously update the thread unless it motivates you to continue with the project.
    (smiley bug still)

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is all about that level of detail. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing to show yet because I had to rethink how to create the single player levels.

I'm using a brand new strategy. First create the enemies and what they do, floor, elevators stairs and build and play test that. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is... conventionally...to build a level then add enemies is usually always done but it's very inefficient and force gameplay to be built around the environment. 

By first placing enemies and what they do on floors first and build out that way forces the environment to conform around the gameplay. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the day figuring out the right tool for enemy  AI. I'm using an actor sequencer combination. It works really well. It's all canned answer with conditional programming. 

Takes more hard work but it's good results.

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time to day to work on the project and get some of the "need to get dones" complete. One of these is a clean, well-made pipeline between Zbrush and the Chaos Mesh character process. 

Just got the muscle mesh template, shoot it and rips apart, in the engine and cycling correctly with zbrush. Now adding in the skeleton. 

After this is complete the hardest art pipeline is figured out and it all just aesthetic design for characters..the fun part.  The secrete is in how the code is handled in this process. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the system in and working. Chaos collection are currently buggy and may have to use an actor wrapper workaround to prevent crashes. Will take another solid day to put the bow tie on this system and get back to completing the game.  This is the hardest system to build because it's entirely about "what is" the best character art pipeline with zbrush but also "what is" the best pipeline when making something of the assets in unreal. 

The solution is actually more simple than I originally thought. It's all about exporting the character as is in the editor into zbrush as the start and never bother with saving zbrush project files. The model that is in the Unreal Engine is the latest version. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got more done on the project, mainly the story.  Put together a quick cover image for the game. Will replace it with 3d asset once they are done. 

Game name is ' Mad Science '. Currently, it's about a Mad Scientist, Super Soldier, General and Judge.  

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the animation system pinned down!!!!. Had to learn the control rig system. It's brilliant. The way I'm using it is by creating a new control rig per gameplay controller based animations. Instead of a new animation and or canned animation I just create a procedural animation with the control rig and link that into the anim graph. I use Bp to dictate IK positions. It may sounds like more work but it's actually faster to get to the final result.  
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it may not be much of a use right now. Simple use of control rig and the complete system.  But what is important to know is there is no canned animations in it and it was all created in seconds and is 100% dynamic. Dynamic as in at any time any new animation is simply programmed in with new points and space and it works.  

https://youtu.be/X6UuzU3B2JA
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as for the complete project. I go it all down to one project file and tested timelines for packaging with lumen and nanite based objects. I'm currently jamming in all my code. All visible R&D stuff has been completed. I can now move onto building out the game. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I committed to a simple gameplay shooting system before moving onto all the other stuff.  It's not a targeting system. Its a "aim and mark" the target gameplay system. Once the target is marked, one can pull the trigger or not. Player must mark the target in order to shoot. This should be fun enough to get me to the next phase of the project.  It's a system that is very clicky, but with a lot of intention and strategy.  It also has a throttle for aim sensitivity. 

https://youtu.be/EG7CQJuFdNc
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next, I'm putting in the jump roll, or dash, trace system....after that I can start considering taking off a week from work and do push week to getting it all done. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost got to mention the character chaos character destruction system is almost complete. It's mainly a form and function thing of the mesh that I have to button up. I have to go through all the joints and make it like the elbow in the image. Make sure the template mesh is flawless and easy to work on in zbrush so making new stuff with it is sculpt and update. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have more to show about the game later. I'm currently getting my finances set for buying an office space  and ground and trademark my game company
    ' Big Brother Software ' it's fully independent self-funded game software company.  
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a little bit more work done on the game. The final gameplay aiming system is complete. Mark the target system.  Shoulder cannon system game. Have to get back to work. Only able to put an hour or 2 in today. 

https://youtu.be/FFTg5gQQ4IM
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomorrow I'm putting the left shoulder actions for advanced movement.  Left shoulder is sprint with hard stop and  warp transfer. The character has warp gate ability and can wormhole teleport.  
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the official company logo. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lastly...company humor logo. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished business cards. Company name, logo and icons. My 'coat of arms' is the official seal and also the basic seal. Moving onto Code now. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Company coat of arms is important because it must state very simply how the company understands the Law.
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All tests with the company seal logo are complete. I'm committed to the star with an eye.  It's flexible to the point of surreal. 

I can move forward.
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Company logo is very important to pin down. Because one has got to live with it. I no longer have to think about it or worry about it. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like my Star... It is me. I so can live with this as my icon. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to generate one more treatment with the Star. I'm going make it have a band of colors behind it.  See what that looks like. So I have option and flexibility with the icon. Similar to the old apple logo. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the winner logo done. The front and center PRO logo. 

• BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got Today and possibly tomorrow to work on the code some more. Just finished the 2d camera system for my game. Works really well and is replicates. Uses ALS without breaking ALS.  

https://youtu.be/l-ilojBtFqo
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the 2d system working well and figured out an aim system for 2d that is very intuitive. I'm going to move the project over to being in 2d mode until it’s complete, then add in 3d person over the shoulder. It's just more likely creating a 2d first will get done sooner. 

https://youtu.be/TgrLHEG_5L0
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    E1M1 is half the 3d art if it's all 2d. 
  • BeastMachineGames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got all of it put together. All the fundamental systems are in place and working in 2d. Going to spend the day adding a few more things in, jump, burst, dodge, warp travel and so on, than I have to do code clean up pass. 

https://youtu.be/Qm_NR6AyC6c