Home Technical Talk

xNormal Baking Problem

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4
I've encountered a weird problem I've not had in my previous bakes with using xNormal. Trying to bake a simple base colour texture, it's now coming out red. Looking through older threads on here, the solution is because the high poly mesh doesn't have any UVs...? I'm totally lost with this. I've always been taught that the high poly doesn't need UVs when it comes to baking. Just the low poly, As well as a cage, if one is being used. The general consensus seems to be that the high poly doesn't need any UVs on other sites I've seen around the web, too. So what's the reason for this? Is xNormal an exception then? Also, do any UVs work? Such as simple ones automated? None of my high poly pieces have any UVs automatically generated at all. :-\

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    What use is this base color texture for? Flat color textures used as your actual diffuse/albedo? Or just a simple material ID texture for masking?

Your highpoly does not need UVs in this scenario. There are some instances where you can have some sort of displacement/graphics projected onto a high res mesh and that gets baked down, which require really preliminary UVs.

if you're baking out a base colour texture for use as a material id map, you just have to assign basic materials to your highpoly, which will get baked down into your low res.
  • DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4
    I see. Very odd what was happening then. I was trying to add a simple white base colour to it to make an alpha mask. I did notice in Maya that the high polys had no UVs at all. When I re-created them, they had automated ones, which were just basic squares filling the entire UV space. After that, the bakes worked fine.