Home Technical Talk

Help on some modelling

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
lenteja polycounter lvl 2
Hi! could I get some help on how to approach this? I start with a smoothed cube, sort of a watered down sphere and then used the multi cut to create the details that i would carve out, sadly the edges on the face shapes get way too smoothed once i apply subdv. so i have to start adding edge loops and, well it ends up looking pretty awful and it deforms, and i also get A LOT of topology just to preserve the details. If I could get some help I would really appreciate it, been working a long time at this and i haven't really been able to tackle it.

i modified the topology of the smoothed cube to get this thing below, then inseted those selected faces, and then extruded them negative z. there's where the mess starts hehe. 

here's the upper mesh in an obj, just in case. thanks a lot! https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Jx9LksZP5D8qPfbWbx6BZWsBbsRj4Ci/view?usp=sharing

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi lenteja.
    Find 'Maya basic modelling youtube' using google. Have a look at a few tutorials till you find some that you are comfortable with. After working your way through those enter: 'Maya modelling a simple head youtube' into google for a simple face.

Have fun!
  • lenteja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Hi lenteja.
    Find 'Maya basic modelling youtube' using google. Have a look at a few tutorials till you find some that you are comfortable with. After working your way through those enter: 'Maya modelling a simple head youtube' into google for a simple face.

Have fun!
    Thanks friend! i'll definitely practice that eventually. right now i have to focus a bit on this since i have a deadline :c 

thanks for your time anyways c:
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'd use booleans. Model the pumpkin itself, smooth it, then model the shapes you want to cut out of the pumpkin, then select the pumpkin, then the cut-out shape (make sure to combine the separate cutout pieces, else you will have to repeat the next step piece by piece), and go to Mesh>Booleans>Difference

@lenteja

Here's a quick example

• lenteja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    I'd use booleans. Model the pumpkin itself, smooth it, then model the shapes you want to cut out of the pumpkin, then select the pumpkin, then the cut-out shape (make sure to combine the separate cutout pieces, else you will have to repeat the next step piece by piece), and go to Mesh>Booleans>Difference

@lenteja

Here's a quick example

Oh, you're right! thank you. i've been usually pretty afraid of them, and they didn't really crossed my mind this whole time, but yeah, makes a lot of sense in this case with some cleanup afterwards. thanks a lot for your response!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Unless your assignment has particular expectations, and depending on the target use, you don't even _really_ need to clean up the mesh. If it's just going to be in a scene in maya, it's just fine staying the mess it is. Otherwise, in this case, you could just triangulate the whole mesh to get rid of ngons, which are the only serious impediment to booleans with pre-subdivided meshes. If you'd need the mesh to be clean so you can edit it more easily in the future, you could keep the components (i.e. the unsmoothed pumpkin, and the eye/mouth pieces) nearby, which will always be the cleanest way to make changes in a mesh like this, anyway.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Alternatively, a 'free form' approach :

- Subdivided cube (x4 divisions)
    - Sketch out the various cuts, using the knife tool
    - Then Inset, which will provide control loops
    - Merge / delete stray vertices
    - Achieving this object's unique shape by proportional editing
    - Apply a sub-division modifier - shade smooth (optional Mirror modifier)
    - Solidify / Shell modifier for thickness

An procedurally generated method is indeed a time saver however in my view manual creation techniques though slightly more work, can allow for more control. 
  • lenteja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    Unless your assignment has particular expectations, and depending on the target use, you don't even _really_ need to clean up the mesh. If it's just going to be in a scene in maya, it's just fine staying the mess it is. Otherwise, in this case, you could just triangulate the whole mesh to get rid of ngons, which are the only serious impediment to booleans with pre-subdivided meshes. If you'd need the mesh to be clean so you can edit it more easily in the future, you could keep the components (i.e. the unsmoothed pumpkin, and the eye/mouth pieces) nearby, which will always be the cleanest way to make changes in a mesh like this, anyway.
    Thank you! i'll definitely keep the components then,since I do need to clean up the mesh for this c:
  • lenteja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Alternatively, a 'free form' approach :

- Subdivided cube (x4 divisions)
    - Sketch out the various cuts, using the knife tool
    - Then Inset, which will provide control loops
    - Merge / delete stray vertices
    - Achieving this object's unique shape by proportional editing
    - Apply a sub-division modifier - shade smooth (optional Mirror modifier)
    - Solidify / Shell modifier for thickness

An procedurally generated method is indeed a time saver however in my view manual creation techniques though slightly more work, can allow for more control. 
    Thanks a bunch! this also looks like a great way to approach it, and since i have to do a couple of things that sort of go like this i will definiltely try it out!