Home Career & Education

Advice for student hard surface artist.

Hello, I'm a 16 year old young artist. Ever since I was young and watching films like "Star wars" formed a love in me for spaceships and sci-fi vehicles of all kinds. A few months ago I discovered 3D software like Cinema 4D and immediately knew what I wanted to use this software for. Fast forward a few months and I am now a novice hard surface artist in Maya. My dream is to make hard surface assets for Film, TV or Games.

My question is how did people here learn to model? Did they take a course? Practice, Practice, Practice?
I really want to develop my skills further but have no idea how to do it. I feel the best way (as a 16 year old doing a certificate in general education) would just be to practice, as a course would take up to much time and stress. My worry with just practice is that I might miss out on industry standard techniques that are fundamental to efficient modeling. Thoughts?

I also feel it is much more important to develop a portfolio than it is to have a course (although impressive on a resume). Thus, I think developing my rendering and texturing skills (of which I have none) should maybe also be on my agenda.

Regards, Tom.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Best piece of advice I'll offer, is too get into the habit of learning hardsurface techniques and workflows correctly.

You're pretty much spoilt for choice if perhaps the less expensive alternative self taught pathway might be another option to consider, because nowadays there's a ton of online stuff available but the trick is where to reference quality material to begin with.

So other than checking the Wiki, I'd strongly recommend professionally authored paid walkthroughs, either Pluralsight (Digital Tutors), Gnomon Workshop or Gumroad...etc, basically a self paced rout I chose although mostly via books there wasn't that many places one could go on the Net to seek help when I started out.

EDIT:

Some extremely useful linked content can be found on these threads:

Game Industry Career Resources (Sticky)

Gumroad Tutorials List 

Where To Study Online 

Recently Hired In AAA Show Us Your Portfolio 

Thinking Of Becoming A 3D Vehicle Artist 

Oh...and Tim Bergholz, I'm currently translating his weapon tutorial (complete edition) into my OSS app of choice on a mini side project:

https://gumroad.com/timb