Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | September - October

Replies

• Calvin
    Offline / Send Message
    Calvin polycounter lvl 10
    @SergeyKosolapov that cape's looking great, what was your process?  Did you use something like marvelous designer or was it done by hand?  
  • SergeyKosolapov
  • Babuira
    Offline / Send Message
    Babuira polycounter lvl 4
    Hi again! I finished the mesh for the body. Still high on unnecessary faces, so it still needs optimizations. Im looking to make the body about 3000 verts..Im getting really excited as i get close to finalizing the body and moving on into making the clothes and armor. I really want the body to be able to show itself and work properly so the final model can have the possibility of featuring less armor pieces as they are probably knocked off the character in a game. Ive been looking into the best amount of verts for next gen characters and i think Im in a good spot. These days the polycount for next gen characters can be pretty high, so il see how far i can go with the body. Next week i should be posting finished high res body model and armor work. Good job everyone!
    @Isunoj
    Great work! The likeness is great too.
    @stepcil Great armor work man!

• rallison08
    Offline / Send Message
    rallison08 vertex
    Updates finally! Just been trying to add more detail and make some decisions about geometry and where I eventually want the mesh to end up. Definitely trying to get the proportions down before I continue. Could someone point any weirdness they see? it would be much appreciated.

• CHirs_vancomp
    Hey everyone, I am getting a late start into the race.
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    My update for today. Didnt have much time this week, but Ill try to do some work on her today.

• Calvin
    Offline / Send Message
    Calvin polycounter lvl 10
    I've finished modeling the character.  I know I'll end up tweaking proportions down the road but right now I'm too excited about starting the texture :)
  • rallison08
    Offline / Send Message
    rallison08 vertex
    Still tweaking some of the proportions but otherwise finally modeled the hands. Just did something with sub-d since they are suppose to be more like gloves.
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    So I decided to restart my model because I wasn't happy with where the last one was going. Here is the new one that I'll be sticking with! I appreciate any critique!

• AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    blocking in armor atm. i had no idea what was around his neck so went for some Victorian esque shirt

@apollo580 i would make an image comp of some anatomy ref so u can keep it at the side while u model. maybe some trim dynamic/ polish on the face to bring out the form more

this fb album has some good anatomy ref fwiw - https://www.facebook.com/marco.luna.148/media_set?set=a.4045374896927.174097.1358520470&type=3
  • lkameen3
    Offline / Send Message
    lkameen3 polycounter lvl 2
    spent today working on the gauntlets, wow those things were hard to get done.  Still need to get some details in them and some other stuff. also fixed the proportions of the body a bit.  
    I didnt realize the fog was cranked up so high! that will be fixed.
    @apollo580  good start but you definitely need to check on your anatomy more.  females are hard, their proportions are completely different but find a good full body nude reference and basically sculpt over that to start.

@AdamDanby  Looking good, the wrinkles in the shirt are pretty good, but the pants I would say dont translate over to be believable.  Have you experimented with Marvelous Designer at all?

• Saaamoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Saaamoth polycounter lvl 5
    Hey there. It is quite cool to see all these models shaping up.
    I wasn't satisfied by my basemesh and head model so I decided to redo them using more reference and looking at 3d scanned data. I'd like to improve it a bit (arms are a struggle haha) but it should be enough to build the base clothes. 

@apollo580 Good start but I'd suggest tweaking the arm, it's too thin. Also, the neck could have a bit more of structure to it. 

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    taffy284 polycounter lvl 8
    Any critiques would be great! (Especially with hair and some of the hardsurface modeling. I always feel like I'm groping around in the dark with those.)

@apollo580
    Something else to help you with anatomy in addition to the awesome link from AdamDanby, also check out  the youtube channel Proko. They're a drawing channel, but they go over exactly how each muscle group work. For me personally, analytically understanding how muscles work was super helpful on top of looking at tons of reference pictures.

@Saaamoth
    I think her center of gravity is a little bit off, looking at her profile. Closest I could find of an image of the pose your model is in from the side, is this, but the woman in this picture is only posed like that because she's straining, bending backwards slightly. Try moving the upper torso a bit back and see if that looks better.

Also, next thing is more my personal preference. Though we don't see her musculature at all, I get impression that the paladin is fairly muscular. Therefore, it stands to reason that her trapezius muscles would be more visible. Here's an example. It's very subtle, and you can barely see the bulge, but it's there in how the curve of the slope of her neck from behind is more gradual. I think right now, your neck muscles from the back is still too angular.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Amazing job everyone so far! 

So I decided that I will join this challenge, and I choose the Excalibur one as it seems to be a lot of fun. 

So this is my wip, it is just my current HP in Marmoset. I have mainly focused on blocking out the forms and planning for the construction phase of the highpoly. So I would really like some feedback on the proportions as I do want to nail them as good as I can before I press forward. I know the shoulders need to slope more in so they create a curvature alongst the arms. And the hips and thighs are too narrow at the moment, going to widen them up after this week end. 

Here is a Wip picture

@AdamDanby I think you have rushed on to the clothing a bit to fast, as the base proportions could get some more love. The shoulders are really skinny, I feel from the concept that there should be more mass beneath the clothing. His waist is really thin and he got short upper arms. Also a tip when doing cloths, think about the overall level of noise, as of right now there is a mass of folds, so even if they are simulated and could be correct, id say visual appeal goes first.

@rallison08 I think you have broken up the model in to different pieces way to early, as if you want to make any proportional changes you are far to deep to do that.  I would recommend that you take the screenshots that you have and put them next to the concept, look at what makes your proportions and shapes different compared to it and adjust accordingly. 

@taffy284  Damn he looks super good, how did you go about creating that curly hair? And are you going to be making alpha planes later? Because if you are, are you going to be able to use what you have done on the hair as it is now? Just interested in the thought behind it. 

Good luck everyone! 
  • AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    messing with some designs for how the pelt will attach to the belt area. settled on having armor underneath the belts for it to attach to, but dont like how it falls atm

@lkameen3  @Nuclear Angel cheers for crit guys. clothing was simd in md but edited overall shape pretty heavily in zbrush. i dont really like to be in md longer than neccecary so i try & just get base meshes. hopefully folds are looking a but better now? cant say i agree on the anatomy barring the hands being odd as the model was adapted from another character im working on, but i would appreciate if you could show me what u meant?

@Nuclear Angel looking good but thought the proportions were off at first & measured up against ideal 8 heads & everything line up pretty perfect. still looks a bit stocky to my eye tho. could be the fact that it has no head messing with perception, maybe try using heroic 9 hds to compensate? http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_var.gif
  • Saaamoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Saaamoth polycounter lvl 5
    @taffy284 Thank you for these suggestions and references, I indeed see that lack of muscle now. Also, great work on your bard! The hair and fur are fine and I really like the stylised weapons.

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @AdamDanby
    I think that anatomy looks great. Nothing wrong with it. Your head might be a smidge too large? At least compared to the reference image. I think the bulk of your issues are really with small details. For example, the belt. 
    I know the problem seems like a really small issue, but just changing the slope/position a little might give the torso a more solid feeling.

And in conjunction with some other similarly small issues that also creates the feeling like the body underneath is small, it creates the effect of making him seem smaller than he is.

For example, Nuke Angel mentioned thin arms. If you look at the ref image again, the cloth is hugging pretty tightly to his arms, and it only flares a bit because of the tight leather straps wrapped around his forearm. But it's important to note that his straps go up really high on his forearm and that his forearms are ridiculously muscular. (I have no idea why a bard is so well-equipped and ridiculously buff). I don't know how buff your sculpt's forearms are (we're only looking at if from the front), but while in the ref, you see the leather straps taper outwards near the top due to his muscles, yours don't seem as  if they taper, even though they do slightly. Part of this is due to how loose your cloth is at the forearm. When you have really loose clothing, again it gives impression that the form underneath is very small. 

In the ref image you can also see the bicep pretty clearly bulging out under the shoulder plates on the same arm. In yours, you added that extra tight strap precisely where his bicep should be, and the cloth is naturally puffed up around it. That makes upper arms look a lot thinner. 

The armor plates. Again this is going to seem like such a small issue, but your plates are drooping, while in the ref they seem a bit more *cough cough erect/stiff I swear I'm not doing this on purpose*. The top one is sticking up a little in air. In yours it's kind of just drooping sadly in the breeze (ok now I am doing it on purpose)

Also in general, I get impression that in the ref image, a lot of shadows/lines created by the shoulder plates form repetitious diagonal lines pointing into the center of the the chest. (doted blue lines I drew). But in yours, at parts they look too round to really form consistent diagonals for the eyes to follow. In the ref, those lines also make the plates feel larger than they are and in turn make the shoulders feel larger.

Finally there are the wrinkles themselves. I think on their own they all look amazing. Everything's super detailed, and actually I wanted to ask how you got the tiny cloth details in the vest. did you use noise? They look really nice. But if you zoom out and look at the model as whole, the details almost cancel each other out. This is partially due to the fact that you haven't started texturing things yet. I think naturally yours will look better once colors are added to mix. At the same time, if I greyscale out the ref image and squint, there is still a hierarchy of important details. What I mean is, the diagonal created by kilt, the diagonals created by collar and shoulder plates, the diagonals created by forms of scarf, these seem very important design wise. However I think you focused so much on detailing out the wrinkles and folds in some areas (like the pants) that my eyes focus on those more instead of the bigger forms. Also the lines created by the folds themselves also have certain effects. In the main vest, you have large folds that are almost completely vertical. They're shooting down, and when you have a lot of vertical lines, they again make the form underneath look smaller. In the ref, most of the folds in that area are either diagonal or in some cases almost horizontal, making the chest feel broader. In both your sculpt and the ref image,  you can distill entire form down into trapezoid shape. But in yours, the vertical lines make the trapezoid feel more like a rectangle, which makes the torso feel thinner.

Basically, tldr, a lot of small things in your clothes make your character look smaller and thinner than he is.

@Nuclear Angel
    lol honestly I am stumbling in the dark in regards to hair. I can post more about the process (like images and stuff) after I'm done with the hair. As for the sculpt, part of it is me wanting to practice sculpting this kind of texture a bit more. I played around with brush tablet sensitivity for size and intensity, used a small circle alpha for standard brush, and just manually sculpted out the hair. I start from the bottom first, since in my mind you see the top layer most clearly and that goes to all the way to top. So it's easy to work from inside layer outwards. Sculpting out the hair did help me figure out more where I want to place the hair planes. I don't know if this is how pros do it, seems pretty inefficient. I'm still working on planes right now, since I realized I really don't have enough.
    How foolish of me to think that just this was enough planes TTATT

So many bald spots. I am struggling a lot  with it, but recently I dled this model:
    https://skfb.ly/HpVV
    I've always loved how this person did the hair, but I never realized it was offered as a download. So I'm kind of trying to reverse engineer how he/she did it.

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    I'm back with some updates. Still far from done, but I finally built up the courage to tackle the hair. I'm quite happy how they turned out so far. Still not happy with the beard though.
    I decided not to go with hairplanes, but with a solid hairmesh and maybe very few haircards to break up the silhouette.

@taffy284 I fooled around with approaches like yours and what really helped was to add a solid base for the hair, so the skin is not shining through.

Would be great to get some feedback especially if you have any tipps for the beard.

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @floon
    From the ref image, it almost looks like he's got more of a stubble in most places (side of face, above lips, etc). The only places where I think it's becoming a beard is around bottom of chin. Have you considered perhaps using fibermesh for the stubble areas and then projecting that as a normal onto the face? That, on top of your sculpt of his beard on areas like the chin, might look good? I've never tried projecting fibermesh as a normal map before, but in theory I think it should work.

Also--what do you mean with a solid base? Like solid number of planes below the detailed parts, or actual geometry underneath the hair?

Everything looks really fantastic! Can't wait for the finished product!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    @taffy284
    yeah thought about using fibermesh..
    I only were reluctand to try, because I fear it might not match the "style" of the more sculpted hair... well only one way to find out!! (thanks for the motivating push).

Regarding your mesh.
    I'm quite sure the artist in your link used this method (or a quite similar one)
    http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/
    What I meant with "solid base" was something like a bathing cap, to add some volume without needing to build it up with hairplanes. Although it might look more realistic with multiple layers of hairplanes.

What you definitely should consider is texturing the scalp with fake hair (or at least its color). Just like in your reference, the "body_diff_01.jpg" has painted hair on the actual head.
    Also check out Frank Tzeng's Artstation. They used A LOT of haircards in Uncharted4, so don't feel reluctant to do the same!
    :)
  • Kiraitul
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiraitul polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, i've been working on the paladin character. I'm not as far as i would have liked but i will try to find some extra time in the coming weeks.

• apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiraitul said:
    Hi guys, i've been working on the paladin character. I'm not as far as i would have liked but i will try to find some extra time in the coming weeks.

Love the character so far, some critiques from working on my own model. I think the chest plate is split into two parts, usually they attach under the arm pit with some leather straps
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates to my model, I still need to practice more anatomy so I'm going to go further on the body but overall I'm happy with it. I began the blockout phase for the armour.

• apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    Fairly sure I'm not going to make it in time, but I will definitely finish the bard concept on my own. Starting off with my biggest weakness, going in head first !

@AdamDanby, it's nice to see some significant changes to the original design! I think you went a little overboard with softening the folds on the pants as they started to get the waxy look. The root cause might be having too much fabric to work with in MD which lead to very sharp folds. It's also never a bad idea to get familiar with the physical properties of the fabric such as the resistance to bending and set them accordingly.

@taffy284, very interesting interpretation of the pauldron. I'm not very sure myself how the original design would work, it might be that it's attached to a concealed breastplate of sorts which could explain the metal guard on the other side. The sculpted hair looks amazing and the hair cards curvy and playful. You should definitely have a sculpted base underneath. As for the hardsurface stuff, the guitar seems a bit flat and the round sword with the torus shaped pommel doesn't look very sharp.

@floon, I'd definitely second taffy's suggestion and go for a hybrid between sculpted hair and alpha cards, if only just for the hair. You might want to pay closer attention to his hairline however, particularly to how it bends around the temples. For the beard, I personally decided to do away with any cards, but that relies heavily on not having any curly strands.
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    So I keep on running into the term 'deep shadow maps' for hair. Except I don't really know what it is or how to make it. I baked some shadows from some random lights I set up onto a second uv set, but that doesn't seem to be 'deep' shadow mapping. Can someone explain what the hell it is and how to use it?

@floon
    Thank you for all the materials! I went down several rabbit holes looking into the uncharted 4 stuff and the real time hair tutorial. I ended up finding this from naughty dogs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPaxZ1QmXUo was super helpful with hair and other workflow ideas. It's also the first place I kept on hearing the term deep shadow maps. I really want whatever proprietary tools they have with the shaders. Holy crap that seems so cool. I kind of want to know more in-depth with the whole creating fabric details in Maya thing. seems like a lot of fun.

@apllana
    when you say the lute looks a bit flat, do you mean the back of it should be round? I think it might just be the angle, but I'm not sure. Here it is from another persp.

Maybe it's that the sides should be rounder too, not just in the center? And yeah I don't know why the sword is like that, I assume it's more of a cutting sword, not a stabbing one. I don't know too much about swords and that's what it looked like from the concept image.

starting to look more like hair texture, but it's still really obvious that it's hair cards. I think I'll add a few more cards for more distinct strands of hair, but for this time around I might just have to settle for now if I want to finish lol.

• AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    edited overall design to reflect great crit from @taffy284. started blocking in final cloth & cleaning up the face & weapons. might bulk up the forearms a little looking at the side pic now & start hair cards tomorrow.

@taffy284 cant thank u enough for long detailed crit, ty! no hair expert, but have u created a proxy mesh to copy normals from? without it the cards end up having sharp & noticeable borders. i also find adding a lot of color variation into the diffuse helps it to look less flat.

naughty dog also did a presentation at zb summit here - http://livestream.com/pixologic/2016ZBrushSummit/videos/137430095

some good info on hair shaders around 6:33:21 - as far as i know the shadow maps are 'basically' an ao pass, according to their shader artist EDIT: sorry, didnt realize video u posted was zb summit link! rushing to post this atm

clothing details are just uv nosie in bsrush yh, with custom alpha. u can import uvs directly from md using this workflow - http://www.yuri3d.com/uncategorized/a-quick-dirty-marvelous-designer-workflow/

@apllana cheers! your fabric is looking amazing. head too, tho i would bring the cheekbones up & out a little
  • SergeyKosolapov
  • Heat3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Heat3d polycounter lvl 4
    Some updates to my model.

Dude, this is awesome! Keep moving! Cheers!
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question, how are you guys going about doing all the fancy golden trim on the model? Are you using the extract feature in zbrush? or are you guys drawing it onto the actual plate armour?
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message

@apollo580
    When you say trim, do you mean like the hard-edge extruded border around plates and stuff? In the past I always used extract, but recently I've been experimenting with (masking --> edgeloop (shift+ctrl+e) --> panel loops) Sometimes that gets cleaner results for me, especially when I have polish all the way to 100 when before I click on panel loops.
  • AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    Detailing face & placement of hair cards

Testing alphas in marmo. Any help with the hairline would be appreciated

• aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    Made some major progress making the low poly parts. Hope to finish all parts as well as unwrapping by end of next week :).

• apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    This is the first proper face I am attempting to model so some of the usual procedures are particularly important in this case. Had to pay close attention to the major edgeloops around the mouth, nose and eyes for the retopology and uniform uv distribution with hidden seams. Please let me know if you spot any critical mistakes.

Then I went back and experimented with a sculpted base for the hairline. This should serve as a starting point for the cards. Sculpting alphas sourced from photos of the Internet.

Testing it all out in Marmoset, shaders are early wips. Hair cards are going to be a pain. Any feedback is welcome!

@taffy284, it was definitely the angle. For some reason I was expecting it to have a flat back, but upon further looking at reference the guitar in the concept art does seem to be some sort of chinese lute.
    @SergeyKosolapov, good solid base you've got going. Before starting sculpting you should take a second look at some of her proportions. Judging from her pose, she seems to have a much slimmer waist in spite of her heavy armor. Some other pointers but to a lesser extent: smaller head, smaller chest, smaller feet and maybe a tiny bit shorter forearms. Keep up the good work!
  • apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my update for today, I probably wont meet the deadline but I'm going to completely try and finish this model with textures and such.

• AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    Skin shader test in marmo. Hopefully can get the facial hair/brow & lash cards out the way today and move onto the clothing.

@apllana model looks very nice! I would inflate the face area of the UV in w/e program you're using though, so that on the head island you use most of the space for the important things (e.g, the back of the head/neck is not very important here). Not sure about Maya, but in Max you can enable soft selection on the UV & just scale up the face verts a little which will push back all the other stuff with minimal distortion.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys.
    Another update.
    My free time is short and I am not able to post often.
    Here has many great works.
    Good luck to everyone.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Oh wow time flies by .. :D

So I put together little luteboard (pun intended)...
    Let me know if you have any ideas on how I can improve the model futher, because I know nothing about instruments and have to rely on references only.
    Keep on rocking you all!

• Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome instruments @floon.

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @floon

Oh wow how did you do the strings to get them wrap around like that? Same for the central design of the lute. Did you create one part and radially duplicated them or something?

some updates with clothing textures

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    @Isunoj thanks man! really like your progress as well!

@taffy284 haha! I guess the both parts you asked about were the easiest to do of the whole instrument.
    For the strings I used splines and the wrapping is just a helix spline that is tapered a bit. I tried to break the repetition by using different length/turn amount. They aren't event merged to the string itself.

The center piece, as you already figured out, is just a lot of instances copied/rotated around the centerpoint of the outer circle. Some of the meshes are splines again, where the spline boolean functions really came in handy.

Awesome to see that you are already texturing! Looking forward to see your finished model.
    When I saw the stripes on your kilt I thought you had skewed uvs, then I checked the concept and well.. apparently that is intended :D
    What texturing tool do you use?
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @floon
    Ohhhhh I don't use nurbs that often, I forget how useful they are. 

And yeah, I honestly don't really know how the cloth actually works, how it's bending at the waist or anything, so I kind of just fudged it. It doesn't really make much sense. In retrospect I got a lot of details wrong, like in all likely hood the plaid cloth probably stretches across entire back instead of draping down like the front the way I have it right now, and he's actually wearing three different layers of clothes......I'm just too lazy to fix them...

Also I'm using the Quixel Suite. I'm still trying to learn how to use substance painter so I can move to that in the future.
  • Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Good improvements here guys :)
  • AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    1st pass on the cloth textures

@Isunoj really liking the style, has a fable feel to it. are the folds done by hand? dont have anything to crit really, can't wait to see more!
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    @AdamDanby Yes, Adam. I did everything by hand. your model is getting cool. thanks for criticism.
  • AdamDanby
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamDanby triangle
    Final push on this tomorrow & will call it finished. Need eyelash planes & some straps for the lute & sword

• CHirs_vancomp
    I wont be finishing in time for the challenge but ill keep working on it.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Just finished these two props. Not 100% happy, but it already took forever and I want to get back to the character. So here it goes.

I still might get back once I wrap the project up. So if something worth improving catches your eye, let me know!

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    A question on rigging/posing. I never really figured out where to look to find out to learn more about rigging. I know how to do basic linear rigs in maya, but that doesn't seem to preserve volume very well with arm twists and rotations. The shoulders look bloody weird no matter what I do with weight painting.  How/what do you guys use to pose your characters? Zbrush? Maya? Any tips on volume preservation?

Ohh also, on dual quaternion skinning, is it ever used at all in games? Seems like that could be a solution to volume preservation but again, idk enough to know if that's direction I should be looking in especially if there is no support for it in most engines.

• ManuelDeJorge
    Offline / Send Message
    ManuelDeJorge interpolator
    Awesome stuffs coming around here! keep it up guys! 
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey @ManuelDeJorge great looking model!
    It would be awesome though if you could create your own thread for it in the general 3D Showcase section, or post in the What are you working on ? thread.
    This thread here is only meant for contributing to the "Character Art Challenge", hence the thread name. Take a look at Page 1 to read more about it.
    This is nothing personally, so don't get me wrong. You model just deserves proper feedback, that you will not get here.
    Keep rocking!

@taffy284
    Good job! Would you mind making a small breakdown of your hair? I especially like the skin to hair transition :) !