Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | September - October

Replies

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey guys!
    I'm back with some progress.
    Mostly worked on the anatomy and I feel quite happy with it. The arms, especially the hands and the face are in need of some more love though.
    In the middle of the clothing, folds are still very sketchy.

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    @Isunoj great start, looking forward to see how your model develops!

@renato.medeiros love the "soft feeling" of the face, something I need to work on!
    I think the torso as well as the arms could be a tad longer though.
  • Saaamoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Saaamoth polycounter lvl 5
    All is shaping up quite nicely here !
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    taffy284 polycounter lvl 8
    First time poster and first time doing the challenge, so I'm super excited. 
    Spent a really long time sculpting just the anatomy. I'm still really inexperienced with Zbrush, and decided to really buckle down and actually study a lot of the anatomy I'd be sculpting. Thank god for anatomy books.

I have no idea how I should go about doing the fur pelt hanging from his belts :confounded: I've never been good at anything furry or fuzzy. 

In fact it was just through browsing through the last character challenge that I found out from @DanaosC about panel loops in zbrush. 

I've only got the most basic of forms down for most of the clothing right now, and will probably move on to defining the head+neck, and putting down the rough form of the lute.

I've also always wondered about how people made belts and buckles. @floon Did you use imm brush and draw a strip around the waist? And then manually inserted the buckles afterwards? I think your anatomy looks great. I've always had a lot of trouble simplifying down the muscle structures down to more basic forms, so the first two updates you posted were really fantastic and helpful to me xD. Did you have to alter some of the forms to accommodate the clothes? In your latest update it kind of looks like the pecs are getting a bit too squished at the bottom.

@renato Holy crap that face looks great.

@Gaston for the texture of your bard's face, is a lot of the details the result of a cavity map from your sculpt? Also, have you started messing around with the specular map yet? Some of the skin seems almost a bit too shiny at places.

@pyrzern how did you do those eyelashes? They are looking like they're sticking up a bit too much though. I feel like they'd normally flow outwards at us more than they would curl up.
  • Gaston
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaston polycounter lvl 8
    hi guys 
    @renato.medeiros : hi dude ...how´s going ? good start ... great blocking but i think you need more work on the hands.
    @Karellen : the ears of your model are a bit strange ... try to use some references

• Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    @renato.medeiros Thanks for the feedback. your model is getting pretty good. I'm anxious to see it finished.

@floon  Good start, man. keep it up.

@taffy284 Hello.  About fur, here's an interesting fur techniques:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/HairTechnique

@Gaston Nice progress, man. Keep going!
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    @taffy284 Thanks!

For the belt I:
    - extracted a loop out of the body mesh,
    - deleted everything but the front facing polys
    - zremeshed until I had a low and even ring
    - panel looped it
    The great thing about this is that zbrush creates polygroups along with the extrude. This gives you
    - the option to crease along said polygroup, to keep the edge sharp even on low geo
    - the possibility to change the thickness by isolating the group and panel looping again

This is a great way to have get very clean geometrie and I used this for pretty much all the clothes.
    Downside to this is, that you can get caught up in technicalities and limit yourself. I still struggle with this :/

Belt buckles are just dragged over from 3ds max, and then quickly adjusted with the move brush #dirty.
    I'm thinking about creating a belt IMM brush, for the final highpoly, not sure though about it.
    You could also use the CurveStrapBursh to quickly create a belt, just hold shift while drawing and the curve will wrap around the mesh. From here you could polygroup by normal and would pretty much end up with what I worked with :).

For anatomy reference I mainly use:
    https://www.anatomynext.com/ most of which can be found on pinterest
    http://3dscanstore.com/ which is great since you can find a lot of grey shaded scans, which really helps focusing on the form

I try to stay true to the anatomy and try to make the clothes fit the body.
    Sorry for the wall of text :D

• apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi All,

Finally got a chance to get started! Hoping to get some critique; right off the bad I think the hands are off and the head might be a bit too big.
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @apollo580
    You have all the basic proportions down, like length of arms, legs, torso, etc. Personally I always make my arms longer than they should be and notice it too late, vut you have yours pretty spot on I think.

I'm not sure it's your head that's too big. I think it's a combination of other small things. For one, you're right about your hands and feet. I mean right now I know it's just a rough draft so it's not too big a deal, but they are both a bit too small. The thumb is also a bit crooked. 
    I think looking at some references would help
    https://www.pinterest.com/junx284/anatomy/

Your neck is also too thin. If you feel your own neck, you'll notice they connect directly below your ears. Thin necks make your head look really big. Your rib cage is also a bit small. There's too much space between the arms and the torso. Also the trapezius muscle shouldn't be that much curved inwards. Even when a form on the body looks like it's concave, it's usually caused by two convex intersecting. All those little things make it feel as if a really large head is placed precariously on an unstable neck. you want to give your neck and torso a more solid feeling.

I think in general you just need more to the body, which should naturally happen anyways since you'll be sculpting the muscles and all. One thing about the pose though. Something about the pose in the side view tells me that the weight or center of balance is a little off, but I don't know why that is exactly. The corrections I drew--I honestly don't know how accurate they are. I personally tend to exaggerate the curves a bit on my drawings.

• apollo580
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    taffy284 said:
    @apollo580
    You have all the basic proportions down, like length of arms, legs, torso, etc. Personally I always make my arms longer than they should be and notice it too late, vut you have yours pretty spot on I think.

I'm not sure it's your head that's too big. I think it's a combination of other small things. For one, you're right about your hands and feet. I mean right now I know it's just a rough draft so it's not too big a deal, but they are both a bit too small. The thumb is also a bit crooked. 

Your neck is also too thin. If you feel your own neck, you'll notice they connect directly below your ears. Thin necks make your head look really big. Your rib cage is also a bit small. There's too much space between the arms and the torso. Also the trapezius muscle shouldn't be that much curved inwards. Even when a form on the body looks like it's concave, it's usually caused by two convex intersecting. All those little things make it feel as if a really large head is placed precariously on an unstable neck. you want to give your neck and torso a more solid feeling.

I think in general you just need more to the body, which should naturally happen anyways since you'll be sculpting the muscles and all. One thing about the pose though. Something about the pose in the side view tells me that the weight or center of balance is a little off, but I don't know why that is exactly. The corrections I drew--I honestly don't know how accurate they are. I personally tend to exaggerate the curves a bit on my drawings.

taffy284 said:
    @apollo580

Wow! Thanks for the excellent critique! When I get home today I'll try and implement your comments and hit up some more reference :)
  • trianglesqrt
    Offline / Send Message
    trianglesqrt polycounter lvl 4
    @Gaston looks really nice so far
    I thing dont have aything to add to the crits right now, you were all faster :d 

here is mine, tried using marvelous designer after playing around with it and import the clothes into zbrush. 
    forgot to increase the density though, going to need to do that again :/ 

how is it so far?

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    here is mine, tried using marvelous designer after playing around with it and import the clothes into zbrush. 

how is it so far?

Did you forget to attach pictures? I can't see any images.
  • trianglesqrt
    Offline / Send Message
    trianglesqrt polycounter lvl 4
    taffy284 said:

how is it so far?

Did you forget to attach pictures? I can't see any images.
    Oh thank you, i didnt notice!

I used the Base Male from Zbrush and modified the head. I wanted to practice making clothes thats why i used it.

• JoseGR
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    I chose Bard as well. Been working on the base mesh these past days, I struggled to sculpt the base mesh :(
    I'll make the blockout of the clothes later

• SergeyKosolapov
    Hi guys!
    This is some progress in my Paladin.
    I hope you like it.)

• Blendermonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Blendermonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I'll add the armor tomorrow and then it's off to retopo. Finally going to bed now, I might do some crit. paintovers when I wake up.

• stepcil
    Offline / Send Message
    stepcil polycounter lvl 3
    I just finished blocking for base sculpt. )
  • Gaston
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaston polycounter lvl 8
    hi guys, i think is 95% done ... need some things some straps and the bowie knife on the boot ... but i´m very happy with this result on marmoset 

wireframe ... i try to make it very low poly 

• floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    A question for the people who are working on the bard concept:

How the flip is the lute attached to his back?
    A strap that runs from the shoulder to one of the belts with some sort of holster?

I'm thinking about running a cord over his not armored shoulder.
    Do you have better ideas?
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @Gaston While I think it's cool that you managed to get so far so fast, I would recommend slowing it down a little bit. It's not a race, there is a lot of time left and it could easily be used for polish.

You say you are trying to make it very low poly, what is the current triangle count? I think there are a ton of areas that can be reduced and adjusted. A good thing to keep in mind is to try and keep everything to a grid as much as possible. Even pieces that float on top or are extruded out can be easier dealt with if they have geometry that follows the geometry of pieces underneath.

I also feel like your materials are all over the place, some look more finished than others. The leather stand out to me in particular where you have some that is very shiny (shoulder) and some that is more worn (belt) and then every range in-between. The textures on the boots also look unfinished, like they are flat colors with no sense of wear.

Keep working on it! More attention to the details can really pull this together. :)
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9
    floon said:
    A question for the people who are working on the bard concept:

How the flip is the lute attached to his back?
    A strap that runs from the shoulder to one of the belts with some sort of holster?

I'm thinking about running a cord over his not armored shoulder.
    Do you have better ideas?
    I think you should do as you see fit. Put a shoulder band, through the back until the belt seems like a good idea. Following the concept essence you free to imagine and create.
    You can try to find some references.
  • Babuira
    Offline / Send Message
    Babuira polycounter lvl 4
    Hi all! This is my first time participating in one of these. I should've tried it much sooner! Anyway, i chose the girl. I did my best to get the base proportions down and blocked out some of the main shapes. Didnt go too bulky on the arms yet since shes wearing some big pieces there.

I dont know how to do this well, so i will put an image with the critique. This is for JoseGr. The overall proportions are fine. Try to hit the shape of the sartorius muscle as it gives the leg a nice curve.

Front

• Gaston
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaston polycounter lvl 8
    @Alemja : heheheh, i run a bit because i have a lot of personal projects to do, thanks for the tips, i understand your example on the regular parallel poly build but i use a different approach on the build to keep the form and wrinkles of the fabric ... normal map only dont make miracles .. to a better simulation on the lowpoly model you need keep some volumetric forms allied with light and normal map to keep simulation of the high poly form.

I will down a little the polycount on some parts (like the boot and the lute), and add some more loops in the joints to some best performance on rigs (maybe in the future)
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    All right, Im in. Im liking the concepts and choose the female knight. For now Im done with the proportions and blocking in the major landmarks, which will help me later on with creating her armor and equipment. 

• taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @floon
    Wow thanks for that thorough explanation! And thank you for the anatomy next site. Holy crap they have a lot of good stuff. 

@trianglesqrt
    Those clothes folds look nice. I gotta check out marvelous designer at some point. Is there an option to have quads instead of tris? I guess it doesn't matter that much since you can always just dynamesh it, but I'm curious as to whether there's an option. Also with the cloth sim, I'm guessing there's an option for thickness of cloth or something so it knows how to simulate the right amount of wrinkles?

I also see that you're still blocking out the face--don't forget to add asymmetry later, especially with the hair. It's always a bit disorienting to see a face that's perfectly symmetrical.

@SergeyKosolapov
    Whoa that chainmail looks really nice. Can we get a closeup detail of it? The one time I tried to create chainmail, I used surface noise and a chainmail alpha. Is there a better way of doing it?

@Blendermonkey
    What subdivision have you been working at? The sculpt is starting to get a little muddy.

@stepcil
    That looks great! I can't wait to see more.

@Gaston
    Those textures look great I really like how the leather turned out. Are the details (creases and such) all from the sculpt? Or did you use some more pbr normals to add some more? I really dig the details of the veins on his arm. Looks real nice. The straps on the same arm look a bit flat, probably because it's just a normal map, right?

Did you match and smoothe the normals of his hair to the rest of his face? I can see the hard edges of some of the planes.

The face also looks really symmetrical. If you ever get the chance, you might want to add some more asymmetry in the features. For one, I think in the concept art the nose is a little crooked. There are some asymmetrical wrinkles as well.

@Babuira
    That looks great so far. Did you sculpt it with dynamesh or did you start with zspheres?

Sorry for giant posts. Here's an update on mine. I'm not looking forward to making that furry pelt hanging off his waist. I'll also have to make the swords and what I assume to be a knife hiding in that boot. For a Bard,  this guy sure have a lot of sharp weapons.

I'm not sure I'm too happy about how I ended up sculpting the bottom of his pants. I was thinking about baggy pants but later when I looked at the concept they're pretty neatly tucked in and look thicker than I thought they were. I was too lazy to change it but might do it later? I also missed the laces on his pants, so I moved them to the boots. Meh. The face also still doesn't look quite right yet.

• rallison08
    Offline / Send Message
    rallison08 vertex
    Had some time to finally block out the body a little bit for my excalibur model. He's looking pretty bland as seen by the silhouette so I'm hoping to tweak that a bit before a jump into getting all the detail into the armor bits. Feeling pretty slow so far so hopefully I can get off this turtle oil I'm running on and get some of the real work done.

Should have clarified earlier with the sword that I decided to stray a little from the concept art and design it to look more like this older type of viking sword called an ulfberht. So if anyone was still wondering, the variation is completely intentional. 
  • MrAwexome
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    @Gaston i would echo some of the advice given be others and say to take a step back and revisit some parts of your mesh, this challenge is really about taking your time, critiquing and recieveing critiques from others, and learning. I would revisit your likeness and take another look at your material definitions

@floon, i was just gonna attach it in some way to his paudron, probably with a strap that buckles around the neck of the lute.

@stepcil your proportions are looking great man keep up the good work!

Speaking of proportions, I've made some adjustments to my bard and started blocking in some clothes might take a step back from the character to work on props this week. let me know what you guys think
  • renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    renato.medeiros polycounter lvl 11
    One more update.

• renato.medeiros
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @MrAwexome

The knees look a bit awkward, like he's bending them slightly. Generally when people are standing straight they don't bend their knees at all.
  • MrAwexome
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    @taffy284 : whoops, thanks man, been staring at it too long and i hadn't noticed.
  • Babuira
    Offline / Send Message
    Babuira polycounter lvl 4
    Hi again! Update. I got pretty close to finishing the face..just a few touches needed. Ive been kind of fighting the geo to sculpt around the eyes. @taffy284 thanks! I started from scratch inside of Zbrush. I used separate pieces to block out the shapes. Appended cylinders for the limbs and the hands were imported. Dynameshed the thing together after i was happy with the main proportions and the gestures. I got the base shapes down and then remeshed it with poly concentration in the face and ears for further sculpting. 

I need some help to keep going though. Im not sure whether i should retop now and finish the model on the new mesh, or try to get a finished high res mesh in Zbrush and project that into a new mesh. The eyelids dont have proper topology and it is a pain to sculpt like this. I know fighting the geo to sculpt is a bad practice from experience.. so i am really leaning towards retopping this before sculpting more. However, i did run some tests inside of zbrush to give the eyelids proper topology and had nice results. What do you guys think i should do next? I really want to get this pipeline down.
    @MrAwexome Remember "S" curves when sculpting the body for the flow. Giving the model gesture early on sets you up for success when making organics. Specially the torso and pelvis. The legs are important in the pose too. This gives the character tons of life.
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    Update. Started extracting bits and pieces of her armor. I'll be creating the hard surface stuff such as most of her armor directly in Blender so I won't have to retopo them again :).

• lkameen3
    Offline / Send Message
    lkameen3 polycounter lvl 2
    This looks like fun so I decided to join in on the fun! I did the weapons for the Excalibur concept art over this weekend.  Used Maya for base modeling, Zbrush to detail and Quixel to texture with Photoshop magic to do the handle of the flail (still need to tweak that a bit).  Toolbag2 render, I have a blue light on the sword right now but im going to switch that out for an emission map, I did some experimenting before I dived into it and feel good about the outcome for it. I think I'm at 3,500 triangles for the two weapons.  I'm going to try to reserve this project for the weekends/travel days.  thanks! looking forward to seeing everyones work!

@Babuira  definitely you need to get a better mesh.  those eyes are going to kill you in the high poly if you dont retopo.  Either dynamesh it and push through with the HP and then retopo or retopo to get a clean/final mesh and then do your HP.

@aquila  I would go back though and look at all of her proportions, head and neck look really long and the hand looks off.
  • Karellen
    Offline / Send Message
    Karellen polycounter lvl 2
    Hello people, cool to see everyone models getting more and more developed. 

Didnt have much time to work on this the last weeks, but now at last i have everything i wanted to make inside zbrush blocked in. The plan now is to keep improving and detailing every subtool, retopo and UV everything then go to Marvelous/Blender  for the bigger cloth components and small details. 
    Hopefully i will have october left for texturing, rigging, etc. 
    Also i want to deviate a bit from the original concept and show some influences from Gothic and Dark/Demon souls series, but mostly in terms of texturing and the overall feel of the character materials. (So i hope thats alright) 

• zorrentos
    Offline / Send Message
    zorrentos polycounter lvl 5
    I decided to join this challenge as well. Like many others, im going for the Paladin.

I started doing a basemesh in zbrush, the girl in the concept looked quite ethiopian/north african, so that is my main inspiration. 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This is awesome to watch!  Especially the Bard's Tale pieces.

@Gaston
     I'd recommend going back and fixing the sculpt of the face if you can.  There's more polish that can be done, which is a good thing. :)
  • taffy284
    Offline / Send Message
    @SergeyKosolapov Did you use micromesh to create the chainmail?
  • renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    renato.medeiros polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, nice job. It is very nice to see people helping. Topology time and after detail.

• JoseGR
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseGR polycounter lvl 5
    @Babuira thanks for the feedback! I haven't had so much time these past weeks but I'll try to fix the legs :smile:
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @CrowXD It's never too late to enter, also this is a Challenge so there are no winners like you would find in a contest. The goal is to improve as an artist and help others along the way. :)
  • stepcil
    Offline / Send Message
    stepcil polycounter lvl 3
    hi guys!
    I have some progress on armor.

• SergeyKosolapov
    @taffy284 Hi! I did the chainmail using nanomesh in Zbrush.
  • Isunoj
    Offline / Send Message
    Isunoj polycounter lvl 9

Hi guys. A lot of good work here. Congratulations to all.
    My little update:

• aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @stepcil: Really liking the armor sofar! :)

@Isunoj: Great progress, keep it up!

I'm busy adding her armor pieces and I decided I'll make them low poly to save some time with retopology. I still need to add her gorget (or neck armor piece) and the stuff protecting her upper chest.

• Phesant33
    Hey guys, thought I would have a crack too. There is some really good stuff on here. My first post and first attempt at armor, I've found flat surface to be challenging in zbrush, but hoping that doing this sort of thing here will help me improve. 

Mostly done with the major stuff, now lots of detailing and fixing etc. (I have lots of hard surface tutes to catch up on after this, but if anyone knows any good ones that helped them I'd love to know :). I'll post some comments in a bit, but people here are generally way past my league. Also, I deviated from the concept, not sure if I will add the skirt, probably will, but the glove and shirt deviations are more to do with animation difficulties I'm having with unity atm, not wanting to link finger armatures and weight painting etc. Thinking I would do the chain-mail as a substance, is that workable?  
    Started with a fuse base mesh because I new I only had a few hours over a week or so to work on this and wanted to focus on hard surface rather than organic. 

- Also is there a good quick way to get a turntable like front and back or multiple angles render in zbrush, or do people just take a multiple screen dumps and put them together? sorry for the n00b questions and long post
    Cheers.
  • floon
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Great progress you all!
    I also worked a bit further on the highpoly and hope to finish it within the next two weeks.

• lkameen3
    Offline / Send Message
    another update! couldnt work on him over the weekend so im allocating some week time for him.  I want to get the lower armor done by tomorrow. Im working low poly, I dont plan on making a high poly for the lower armor, probably some of the upper armor bits. super ugly render, but this is where he is at. I wish marmoset had light linking.  lighting will be a pain in the bum.
  • SergeyKosolapov
    Hi guys!
    My little update.

• lkameen3
    Offline / Send Message
    one more update for the week. im picking it back up monday.