Home Technical Talk

ADN Modeler Tools : Smart modeling scripts for Maya

Replies

• oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Another Maya LT user here expressing interest! 
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Hey guys,new update is available,sorry for the delay ! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkPUJfy99pc

Check out the Gumroad page for more info, and of course Maya LT 2016 and 2017 are both supported ! :)

• anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    "The tool now works on Maya 2016,2016.5,2017,2016LT and 2017LT on "  Thanks for making it compatible with LT! You just got another customer :pleased:
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Is it just me or are other people getting the error below?  I tried it on Maya 2016.5 and 2015.  Just picked up version 0.5 from Gumroad.

// Error: file: C:/Users/Dennis/Documents/maya/2016.5/prefs/scripts/AMTools/ADNModelerTools05.mel line 50: Number of rows must be greater than 0.

• Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    That's because the directory is "C:/Users/Dennis/Documents/maya/2016.5/prefs/scripts/AMTools" but the AMTools folder needs to be in "C:/Users/Dennis/Documents/maya/2016.5/scripts/AMTools".

I'll add a more robust script path detection in the future,just to avoid this error :)

• tastyrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tastyrice polycounter lvl 12
    Is anyone receiving
    "// Error: file: C:/Users/Tastyrice/Documents/maya/2016/scripts/AMTools/AMTScripts/ADN_QuickPatternSelector.mel line 39: No object matches name: "

When trying to run the pattern selector?
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Never seen that one.Can you show me a screenshot of the mesh and the selection you're having before the error pops up ?
  • tastyrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really with any type of face or vertex selection.
    http://imgur.com/a/1KzR7

I also recieve this error with edges.
    // Error: file: C:/Users/Tastyrice/Documents/maya/2016/scripts/AMTools/AMTScripts/ADN_QuickPatternSelector.mel line 103: Cannot find procedure "VariableShadowDisable".
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    As stated in the Pattern Selector Documentation (which you can access by control clicking the Pattern Selector button) you need to select two components that are on a loop,which means that in your example you need to do it like this :

In regards to the other error,i have sent you a private message with a temporary fix for it,but will shortly update the plugin in a few days with a proper fix for all issues reported so far :)
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Oh, thanks!  Stupid me :)  I'm so used to skipping that other scripts folder!  Works like a charm
  • tastyrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah silly me! Thanks so much for the support!!  <3<3
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Glad to see you're both sorted ! :D if you have any special requests  (report,new tool suggestion,tool modification,etc...) don't hesitate to send me a private message or directly post it here (which i recommend) :)

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Fansub, I just wanted to say thanks for these! Right now I'm doing large scenes with a lot of kitbashing and material swaps/reassignment, so I'm getting a ton of mileage out of Fast Material in particular. Such a timesaver.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Faster Material is by far my favorite script,so useful ! :D if you feel like there could be some improvements please let me know, i never touched the code once it was done ^^'
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it would be nice if when I with a face selection that I end in face component mode instead of dropping to object mode. I do have cases where I'm pulling the same set of materials across similar-but-different objects, so not having to re-enter face selection each time would be nice.
  • Chris Rohlfing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Rohlfing polycounter lvl 9
    Been a fan of quick pipe since I picked it up a few months ago. Missed the free giveaway, but will happily pay the $8 for this. Great work all around. Plus it's nice to see another Midnight fan.  
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Thanks a lot Chris ! I'm a big fan of Midnight's Endless Summer album :D

Just landed in a new country so still trying to figure certain things out,will be updating AMT by the 28th probably,in the meantime if you have any bug or request please send them before the 20th,this way i'll be able to see what i can fix and what i can't fix atm.

• Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Fansub,

I'm having an issue with your AMTools 0.5. When I apply shapeshifter to my mesh, it gives the bevels, however increasing 'Bevel offset' and 'Bevel divisions' doesn't do anything to my bevels. Unsure of what the issue is as there is nothing in my output log?

Thanks!
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Mind sending me pictures of the the mesh (with wireframe on shaded) please ?
  • fakepilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fakepilot null
    Would also like any type of workflow tutorial... I mean, by anyone who does hard surface polygon modelling with booleans, n-gons and without subdivs? Kinda hard setting my mind around it, like I'm brainwashed into doing subdiv with quads only.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    +1 for a tutorial on all your tools :)
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    A tutorial, a big update and a lot, lot of new shit is in the making :)

The tool has turned out really big, far bigger than expected.I've already said it and will say it again : thank you so much guys ! Listing all these studios in one picture and looking at some of the artists that are using my tools i still can't believe how fortunate (and a lucky mofo :D ) i am to have got to this point.

When you're born in a poor continent, poor country, poor family and have no high school education, you often don't aspire for so much but to be able to survive and make ends meet.But since the first day that i touched a computer (6 years ago i think, i'm 20 years old now :) ) my life expectations went from that to making everything i can to achieve everything i want, and i would recommend to any aspiring or not aspiring artist to always push themselves to the limit, stay humble and remember that the clock is ticking, and life doesn't give a shit about regrets, so do whatever it takes to achieve your dreams !

- Adnan

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    This is all because of your hard work, congratz:>
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    New update is rolling out really nicely ! :)

Kitbash Master (along with another yuge surprise) will be available for free in the next update of ADN Modeler Tools and later on in CreasePlus too ! :) stay tuned for more info ! ;)

• grimmzerro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmzerro polycounter lvl 7
    hello Fansub. Great tool and nice UI! Could you share it please? 
  • Eric_sun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric_sun polycounter lvl 2
    i think this is great tools,if you want it  you must support (buy).its not big money.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    https://gumroad.com/l/adntools
  • triton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    triton polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you, still waiting for the OSX version.
  • Jimonions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimonions polycounter lvl 10
    edit: nvm i figured it out im dumb.

as a long time max user Maya has become more and more pleasing to use for many situations. Tools like this make it much much easier to justify using maya over max
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Ok this one is done, yet another tool for AMT's next release, which is locked for the end of this month :)  This one automates the process of face weighted vertex normals, making the whole workflow a one click solution :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAuLl8HyPh8

• Niknesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niknesh polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome!
    Love how you added normal size display slider, that thing is really annoying by default.
  • douglassoares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    douglassoares vertex
    I bought few months ago. How can i update?
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Fansub said:
    This one automates the process of face weighted vertex normals, making the whole workflow a one click solution :)
    Hmmm, doesn't Maya already have face weighted normals on by default?
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Nope :) you can have FWVN in 2017//2016ext2 but only with the bevel history and a specific mitering. Maya's soften edges is an almost exact approximation of the FWVN workflow, but becomes useless for it as soon as you start working on complex shapes with lots of angles.

What this script does is basically take the math of the soften edge and make it work  on a 1:1 scale without the need of manually  tweaking stuff or keeping history intact.

douglassoares Once the update is available you'll get an email notification :)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hm, @Fansub
    Then do you know what this setting does, if not setting it to FWVN?

It seems to at least do a roughly face-weighted vertex normals thing, because the results look comparable to the examples I've seen.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    That method seems to be computing an averaged value, not just weighting the vertex normals of a given face to it's face normal. Obscura shared a picture showcasing the difference a few days ago, but for the sake of complexity here's another one with a bit more normal angle variations. The one on the left is using the angle + area weighted Maya method, while the one on the right uses the FWVN solution.

Of course, on examples that have a lot of angular shape transitions Maya's solution gives you results that are too averaged to be  called face weighted.

• Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
    Fansub said:
    Ok this one is done, yet another tool for AMT's next release, which is locked for the end of this month :)  This one automates the process of face weighted vertex normals, making the whole workflow a one click solution :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAuLl8HyPh8

oh my god, THANK YOU.
    when I email you about this suggestion by adding face weighted vertex normal in "one click". I though maybe its hard to solve it but you mange to do it  :'( 

man amazing update again thank you  <3

• Vincent_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_M null
    Fansub said:
    That's because the directory is "C:/Users/Dennis/Documents/maya/2016.5/prefs/scripts/AMTools" but the AMTools folder needs to be in "C:/Users/Dennis/Documents/maya/2016.5/scripts/AMTools".

I'll add a more robust script path detection in the future,just to avoid this error :)

I'm currently having this same problem on mac, not the best mac user but curious if you know how i could fix this
    // Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2016/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/AMTools/ADNModelerTools05.mel line 50: Number of rows must be greater than 0
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Hi Vincent, just a quick reminder before answering your question : AMTools is not supported by MAC machines, so chances are you'll run into other issues even after getting paste this error.

Speaking of it, i don't know what's the default path for Maya plugins on MAC, but here's what I've found after a few researchs. You can follow this link for the source, too.

In your Home folder, under Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Maya/<version>/plug-ins

In your Home folder, under Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Maya/plug-ins

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/Maya/<version>/plug-ins

/Users/Shared/Autodesk/Maya/plug-ins

And to keep you guys updated, the plugin as you might know has been (again...) last time, i'll try to finish it and release it as soon as it's done, instead of failing to deliver every damn time...
    I shared this video of Array Master a few days ago. It's an Array plugin that works on  Maya 2016, 2017 and Maya LT, too. It doesn't rely on MASH, wish means you'll have to compromise sometimes when it comes to speed, but the possibilities of this tool outshine it's limitations by a huge margin, and it's all part of ADN Modeler Tools :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyASH4bsao

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
  • Rlloret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rlloret polycounter lvl 4
  • xroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xroo polycounter lvl 7
    Hi. I have an issue with Shape Shifter: no control under parameters. I saw in the video some tool must be activated after SS applied. But it's not. That's what my Maya looks like after I clicked SS:

No messages in Script Editor appeared after that at all, so no errors too.

What am I doing wrong and how to make it works? Any ideas?
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    It actually worked just fine here :p if you look at the attributes in your channel box you'll notice a bunch of new ones : Support Offset, Bevel Offset and Bevel Divisions :) I'd suggest you just control-click on the ShapeShifter button in the UI, you'll learn a few tips/tricks on how it works  ;)
  • xroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xroo polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, you are write. New nodes in channel box are appeared. But I can't control them as it explained in tips. I press Control + Middle Mouse Button and drag the mouse - nothing happens, Same thing with pressing Shift. And I don't know why :(
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Basically this is what you need to do : While your mesh (which has SS applied on it) is selected, run shapeshifter on it again. You can either assign ShapeShifter to a custom hotkey/marking menu or directly click on the "ShapeShifter" button in the UI. That will activate a toggle operation on your SS custom attributes.

Then you can basically maintain the middle mouse button and drag it left to right :)
  • streamdream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    streamdream polycounter lvl 3
  • Formaldehyde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Formaldehyde polycounter lvl 10
    Any hints when Maya 2018 will be supported?
  • Iziaky01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iziaky01 polycounter lvl 7
    Used it without problems in Maya 2016.5, but in Maya 2018 keeps making strange artifacts when I use the ShapeShifter feature. Will there be any fix in the coming months?

This hapens when create a simple cube and press ShapeShifter in Maya 2018
  • artemis_studios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artemis_studios polycounter lvl 3
    I have the same issue too. I thought I installed the scripts wrong. But I guess everyone who is using MAYA 2018 has this same issue. ShapeShifter works except for that weird artifact. 

Thanks in Advance to anyone who has a fix to this issue.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep - same problem here with Maya 2018.  Any word on a fix?