Home Quixel Megascans

Megascans open beta launch delayed

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric - If you're launching a subscription service, users are willing to accept imperfections because that's the nature of that business model. Ship, iterate, refine. A living product doesn't have to be perfect for launch.
  • Zorro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorro polycounter lvl 4
    Agree with Warren - no product is perfect first time. You will always encounter issues you did not anticipate - any programmer will tell you this :)

Just launch it before your competitors get up to speed (AFAIK they pretty much have). You are in far more danger of failure from not being timely to market than any launch glitches.
  • Dawid Gomola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawid Gomola polycounter lvl 6
    I wonder. Is there a chance we will get simple login to suite option? I work in different places on 3 pc's, Deregistering and registering keys is kinda stupid :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate everyones opinion, unfortunately right now we can launch anything since it's the critical components that are missing. The site is not up and running at the moment.

Dawid Gomola - You don't have to De-register, you can install the suite on 5 machines at once, as long as they are used solely by you. If you reset your license at www.quixel.se/login then you enable it to be installed on another machine, this you can do 5 times! Hope that solves your problems :)
  • Dawid Gomola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawid Gomola polycounter lvl 6
    Ahahaha lol, good to know, thanks for info, this changes everything :D
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should be a little bit easier :D
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    tungerz wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath...
    We've been down that road before. :poly142:

chillzone
  • Zezeri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Quixel knows that this Launch is pretty critical to them as a company. They have a precious product, but also very strong competition.

This is a very important step for them and I wish them the best.

For us artists, it can only go well :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zezeri - Yes the thought has crossed our minds to be honest, once or twice..
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    tungerz wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath...
    We've been down that road before. :poly142:
    hqdefault.jpg
    Lets just say i'm crossing my fingers for one last time. (get the it Quixel?)

:)
  • threepeasgamertag
    I appreciate everyones opinion, unfortunately right now we can launch anything since it's the critical components that are missing. The site is not up and running at the moment.

Dawid Gomola - You don't have to De-register, you can install the suite on 5 machines at once, as long as they are used solely by you. If you reset your license at www.quixel.se/login then you enable it to be installed on another machine, this you can do 5 times! Hope that solves your problems :)

But there's a closed beta, right? Can't you just release that and work on it from there? WarrenM and Zorro are right.

I also have a question - if the critical components are what's missing, then what have you been working on for the past year and a half? Oh, oh! And about the closed beta, if developers can use it. So can we, right? :)

(I did not post this at 5:11 AM. It's 2:11 PM haha. Weird...)
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 10
    And it starts again… If it so simple, guys, release your own software.
    Or send your resume to Quixel.

I'm 100% sure that «closed beta» is just about textures/new software version.
    As been said, website is missing.

You don't even know how much traffic it will generate and how much it will cost.
    You can make some calculation using Amazon for example.
    Yes, there's CDNs. But do you know how much it will cost to get to Akamai for example?
    And AFAIK it's a fixed regular payments, doesn't matter how much people will download.

Critical features ≠ textures itself. It means: content delivery system, licensing system, payment gates, proper server setup [there will be MANY concurrent downloads], proper backup system [different for files/databases], website itself [design, code], etc.

And of course there's a BIG question about how much it will cost: you should calculate how much it will cost for DEVELOPER to provide you file. And only after that you can decide how much to ask from clients.

You can't just create a website on $5 VPS, throw all textures there and start selling 'em, it doesn't work that way.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think its a problem of getting it done, I think its been a problem of having/paying someone to get it done.. The delivery system isn't that hard to do. Either is payment system. The infrastructure, is setup for things like this, it's just a matter of paying for it. Hell you could make a pretty advance payment system using WordPress. Seen multi-million dollar companies do exactly just that, and its work just fine. So, its not a problem of making it work...
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's not a problem when you have X profit by selling product but need to spend 2X on traffic/bandwidth to deliver it…

As I said you guys should either start your own companies or send your resumes to Quixel.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, it's not a problem when you have X profit by selling product but need to spend 2X on traffic/bandwidth to deliver it…

As I said you guys should either start your own companies or send your resumes to Quixel.
    The best way for them to proceed would be to start at the lower end, for example make textures up to 4K available (to limit bandwidth), when they feel more comfortable up it to 8K etc. One does not have to empty the magazine in one blow.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Something peer-to-peer along the lines of Bittorrent if used in conjunction with traditional CDNs could also help decrease the load. Of course the implementation is non-trivial and many studios probably wouldn't like the idea for privacy reasons...
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggi324, yeah, it's one of the options. I think we will see this solution in beta.

JedTheKrampus, P2P is a no-go, it is unprotected content.
    It's good only for free or trial stuff with proper protection like software distribs.
    Plus do you really whant to spend your bandwidth/traffic on someone else? Especially in case of companies.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes there is a closed beta for the suite, but releasing it to the public would not do us any good. We open up for other companies to "borrow" our ideas before we can finish them, or people will get mad because some components doesn't work. In a small controlled beta its very easy to explain that X does not work because of Y but we're working on it now. As far as the Megascans delivery system goes it's quite complicated, I'd like to see the wordpress templete that would replace the huge amount of work we've put In so far ;) even with 4K textures there is an very large amount of data to ship. But the delivery system is quite close, some more tweaking of the compilers to improve tiling and we really got something worth showing!
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Yes there is a closed beta for the suite, but releasing it to the public would not do us any good. We open up for other companies to "borrow" our ideas before we can finish them, or people will get mad because some components doesn't work. In a small controlled beta its very easy to explain that X does not work because of Y but we're working on it now. As far as the Megascans delivery system goes it's quite complicated, I'd like to see the wordpress templete that would replace the huge amount of work we've put In so far ;) even with 4K textures there is an very large amount of data to ship. But the delivery system is quite close, some more tweaking of the compilers to improve tiling and we really got something worth showing!

Hello Eric,

Bravo :poly121:

This is what I call being "prudent" after lessons have been learned, so credit where credit is due. Your direction is the best possible solution and I wish other companies would follow suit.

We have all seen products being released way too early and long term users being used as "beta testers", so it's a breath of fresh air to read the above :thumbup:

Knock our socks off with 2.0 and release it when it's ready.

Good luck

Pete
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Didn't say wordpress for delivery. CDN & Cloud Storage for delivery. WP for payment and subscription service. Using your software and WP API for authentication w/ CDN/cloud for delivery of files.
  • Pleasure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure mod
    Didn't say wordpress for delivery. CDN & Cloud Storage for delivery. WP for payment and subscription service. Using your software and WP API for authentication w/ CDN/cloud for delivery of files.

to be honest, i would rather wait a while longer and have a sophisticated System in place than some pseudo solution just to get megascans out sooner.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know vic im just messing with you. In short though, in order to have a reliable and scalable sysyem its better to do it right from the start instead of instability and downtime later.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure wrote: »
    to be honest, i would rather wait a while longer and have a sophisticated System in place than some pseudo solution just to get megascans out sooner.

Like I said, I have seen Multi-million dollar companies do exactly that. Ever heard the phrase, why re-invent the wheel? It's not a pseudo system if you custom develop a plugin for WP... Obviously they are not doing that, but I am saying, it doesn't have to be as complicated as it's made out to be sometimes.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know vic im just messing with you. In short though, in order to have a reliable and scalable sysyem its better to do it right from the start instead of instability and downtime later.

I figured as much.... All my point was, is some people are trying to make it out like its some really difficult long draw out process to make a delivery system. I am only trying to point out eh fallacy in that.. Doesn't have to be... If I can turn a WP site into anything, and no one knows its WP, obviously it can handle a lot of things
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I can turn a WP site into anything, and no one knows its WP, obviously it can handle a lot of things

Turn it into Netflix or Amazon AWS. Then we will talk about fallacies.

Wordpress or any other CMS is just a shopfront — easiest part.
    You can do Amazon-like website with Wordpress, yes.
    But it's nothing without robotic Amazon warehouses and their shipment system.
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn it into Netflix or Amazon AWS. Then we will talk about fallacies.

Lets go to extremes here. Netflix wouldn't be all the complicated. AWS is a completely different scenario...

Oh yeah. turn it into Facebook then......... Obviously if you want to focu on extreme crap, you can use anything to prove a point. We are only talking subscriptions and file delivery here, and using a desktop program as the user interface.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Lets go to extremes here. Netflix wouldn't be all the complicated. AWS is a completely different scenario...

Oh yeah. turn it into Facebook then......... Obviously if you want to focu on extreme crap, you can use anything to prove a point. We are only talking subscriptions and file delivery here, and using a desktop program as the user interface.

you have no idea what you are talking about
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, yes I do. I've done it... Thanks though
  • onera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming soon since 300 B.C
  • threepeasgamertag
    Annny news on the release for 2.0 and Megascans? :/
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey, threepeasgamertag! I've been posting a lot of news on the subforum, including the (now closed!) final beta invitation thread for Quixel Suite 2.0! Quite a few people are now participating in it. The turnout is overwhelming to say the least! I pulled in some people from Reddit, too, so we've got a healthy mix of professionals, hobbyists, and students to draw experience from and improve our tools.

Megascans is still being actively developed. It's quite an ambitious piece of software engineering! We'll let you know as soon as it's ready to go. :)
  • Zorro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorro polycounter lvl 4
    How about changing "coming soon" then because it's actually, you know, insulting. 

On account that people check back often and *waste their time* doing so because "coming soon". Years later, literally, it hasn't. That's just generating hate.
    Clearly, you guys don't know how to run a business, and that's ok providing you learn from it. And soon.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Zorro, I do apologize that you feel that way. I can pass on your concern to the developers - but let it be known that Megascans is in active development and will be released sooner, rather than later. :smile: 

I'm closing this thread as it's served its purpose - if anyone would like to continue discussing Megascans, please don't hesitate to create a new thread! :smile: 
This discussion has been closed.